DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Will the show be good? Our hopes and concerns

Rose

3 hours ago, Gothic Flame said:

You're joking right?

Or his eyes turning color, and wolves talking to him, and worried that he might be labeled a "dark friend" wasn't enough to mess him up? Which was in the first book.

As well losing his entire family on Winternight and the existential questions he's faced with after he and Egwene shelter with the Travelling Folk?  He was conflicted from the first book and only continued throughout to include the romance with Faile.  

On 11/10/2021 at 7:59 PM, JJLXL said:

I want it to be a 10/10

My personal expectation would be at least 8/10

The reality as things stand, put it at 6/10....maybe even 5/10.

Hopefully it's at least as good as the average between these numbers, 7.25/10

Wow, the show sits at 72% critic rating on Rotten Tomatoes.  Think I nailed it.  lol

On 11/21/2021 at 9:54 AM, Elder_Haman said:

How would you communicate these things effectively in a visual medium? How do you communicate his fear of being a bull in a China shop correctly? 

Him becoming enraged and taking out a handful of whitecloaks and them calling him darkfriend, whilst he is speaking to wolves, and having weird dreams of what he thinks is the dark one should have been enough... All fully visually attainable. All within season 1. Also, they could have had him take out more Trollocs in the battle and give us a better sense of his rage mode. Have someone call his name and have him not even recognize them as he looks at them. Have friends distance themselves when his eyes begin to turn color. (They still might), have a powerful conservation with Elyas, or Hopper. Job done. If anything, his friends could become slightly concerned about him or even wonder about his allegiance. 

Edited by JaimAybara

54 minutes ago, JaimAybara said:

Him becoming enraged and taking out a handful of whitecloaks and them calling him darkfriend, whilst he is speaking to wolves, and having weird dreams of what he thinks is the dark one should have been enough... All fully visually attainable. All within season 1. Also, they could have had him take out more Trollocs in the battle and give us a better sense of his rage mode. Have someone call his name and have him not even recognize them as he looks at them. Have friends distance themselves when his eyes begin to turn color. (They still might), have a powerful conservation with Elyas, or Hopper. Job done. If anything, his friends could become slightly concerned about him or even wonder about his allegiance. 

I don’t think any combination of the above would have the same visceral impact they were able to convey in that single scene. 

I’m not saying I love it. I’m not even 100% sure that I like it. But it was very effective at accomplishing what they set out to accomplish. 

34 minutes ago, Elder_Haman said:

I don’t think any combination of the above would have the same visceral impact they were able to convey in that single scene. 

I’m not saying I love it. I’m not even 100% sure that I like it. But it was very effective at accomplishing what they set out to accomplish. 

Yeah I’m in agreement there, same deal not sure I liked it. It did what they needed I suppose. I just don’t think it was necessary at all. Still feels like borderline character assassination/frivolous injection of more antihero tropes with him and Mat. So just differing opinions on the other bits, but there’s nothing wrong with that. And I’m excited to see how it unfolds.