DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Any ideas on the changes (adaptions) that Sanderson didn't love?

aclund3

1 hour ago, TheMountain said:

Now, if they start having apple orchards bloom around Egwene and a hundred babies being born early wherever she goes, then I'll start to have problems.

well, for the first there is a weave of the power that egwene could easily use. not sure about the second, but i'd not be surprised if egwene invented a weave for that too ?

more seriously, i see your point and i agree.

though apple orchards and babies are rand's thing. mat was his luck, and perrin was people following him.

egwene could have her own: people inexplicably putting her in charge

6 hours ago, Ryan al'Thor said:

I feel the opposite. He would still end up with Faile I have to imagine. We will know soon enough.

Well my point was that since it's already confirmed Egwene is a Dragon candidate, I hope that's the change Brandon thought would upset people. Because if it's not, it means he thought the Egwene change wasn't a big deal and another change was a bigger deal, possibly the Perrin change.

• Community Administrator
13 minutes ago, DaddyFinn said:

About Laila Aybara.. check the three pictures

I feel like this thread touched on a lot of what was covered in that tweet.

I can't recall if I ever posted it here, but my "If they do this, it would add to the future Faile plotlines". I hadn't considered the leadership aspect though.

I still don't like the idea that Perrin kills his wife in his fury. If she is his wife, I'd much rather she were killed by a Trolloc.

1 hour ago, DaddyFinn said:

Not really a fan of the change, but it does make some of his later issues as described above less annoying....   i can see it as more believable as well and in the long run it is a relatively minor change (even though its huge in Perrins life)

Edit to add:  I hope if they go this route that he doesn't actually kill her just fails to stop her from being killed... 

Edited by WalterKohl

One additional thing I'm concerned about with them going this route...

Hollywood being Hollywood, I can totally see the writers exaggerating his pacifiscm and making him almost like the Tinkers for a while: unwilling to raise arms even in self defense. Cue drama around Perrin getting into all sorts of situations and unable to get out of them due to his "moral code." His "Kryptonite," if you will.

Thanks for sharing, I agree it makes sense from a character development point of view. I still don't like the fridging trope and the dangerous animalistic rage trope. But I agree it can make for a compelling story. Tropes are tropes for a reason, after all. They serve a purpose to make stories work in a way that resonates with audiences.

2 hours ago, DaddyFinn said:

This is a great analysis. As I said in a different post - I don't love the potential change because I think it has a high degree of difficulty. But it could absolutely work. Same with the rumored changes to Mat's family.

17 hours ago, Agitel said:

It still hasn't even been confirmed that he'll start out with a wife.

This is kind of what I am hoping for, I can see him losing his "betrothed".  That may not have been in the book but it is a bit out of the real of possibilities that the women's circle hadn't already had someone picked out for the  young blacksmith apprentice...  As long as he fails to save her as opposed to actually killing her...  he never gave into animal fury in the books, even when he killed the first time it was to save his friend Hopper, not out of animal rage...  

On 11/4/2021 at 3:36 AM, king of nowhere said:

i just realized, nobody is talking about thom. as far as we can tell, he won't be in emond field, but he'll be met later along the road. likely after shadar logoth.

I don't like that, so maybe that's what sanderson was talking about after all?

this.

im not sure why its not mentioned much.

So here's the confirmation. I will wait and see how they make that work.

https://gizmodo.com/adapting-the-wheel-of-time-for-tv-is-an-epic-all-its-ow-1848026456

io9: The fundamental premise of the Wheel of Time is based so much on binary genders, with the all-female Aes Sedai, the male Dragons, the gendered sides of the One Power. How are you updating that for 2021, when gender identity and gender equity are so important?

Judkins: I think what’s exciting about [the Wheel of Time TV series] and what was exciting about [the books] in the ‘90s is that they opened up a conversation about gender and how gender is represented in all of these different cultures within the world of Wheel of Time. Because it’s not just one way you see a lot of different representations of gender, you see things that are more binary and less binary. I think that we have to lean into that in the show and continue to explore what gender means for these characters in as fresh of a context today as Robert Jordan was working in in the ‘90s. He was pushing the envelope a lot for the genre at the time and I think we need to do the same today.

io9: What are some ways that you’ll be doing that on the show?

Judkins: I think—well, I can’t tell you all of them, but in the books, there’s an idea that if you’re born as a man in one life, you’d be born as a man in the next life in the show. We’re not doing that. We’re approaching it as you are a soul and you move through different bodies through whatever life that you’re in. So that’s one. It’s a very fundamental change actually to make to the book series, and it has a lot of ripple effects, and we’ll continue to do things like that I think are more reflective of what hopefully Robert Jordan would be writing if he was writing today.

io9: Speaking of, the show’s seemingly biggest change from the books is the revelation that a female character could be a potential Dragon Reborn, whereas in the books the Dragon is exclusively male.

Judkins: I think the idea that the Dragon Reborn doesn’t necessarily need to only be a male character, that’s really important. We see that play out in a number of different ways through the season. Also, as we learn, some of the Dragons of the past were women. How was that different? How did that affect the world? So that one change that we’ve made, it really does flutter through the whole series. I think it’s good to make changes like that and to put them in the show, even if it does have those effects.

Edited by DaddyFinn

I don't like the change and think it really undermines some of the key tensions that exists in the story. Makes me worried that Rafe really doesn't underestand what I consider to be the heart of the tension in Wheel of Time.

Doesn't mean it won't be a good show, but hate that the gender essentialism is basically removed. 

7 minutes ago, Elder_Haman said:

This is the way I feel about it too. It feels super unnecessary.

I understand why they felt it was necessary. Personally I would have preferred they didn't, but it is what it is. 

It doesn't change my faith in them. They made a choice, possibly based on how they think members of the audience or critics would perceive this, to change one point which I don't see as all that significant. 

I have seen other forums where many contributors were actively calling for this change. 

And yes, those other people were WoT fans who love the story and want to see it on the screen as faithfully as they feel can be done

2 minutes ago, Ralph said:

Does anyone think we don't now know the answer to the original question posed in this thread? 

That gives me more confidence that the Perrin fridging story is untrue

https://www.tor.com/2021/11/10/ive-seen-the-first-three-episodes-of-the-wheel-of-time-heres-why-youre-going-to-love-it/

From that:

"I do have a few complaints. The biggest is that there is a change made to Perrin’s backstory that I think cheapens his journey. Granted, much of Perrin’s struggle in The Wheel of Time, especially for the first five books of the series, is a very internal, cerebral one, which is more challenging to show on film than in text. However, it is the one alteration so far that feels very Hollywood; worse, it’s an overused (and sexist) trope that’s often employed as a quick shorthand to start a hero’s journey."

Hints pretty heavily on the "fridging" IMO

5 minutes ago, Ralph said:

I understand why they felt it was necessary. Personally I would have preferred they didn't, but it is what it is. 

It doesn't change my faith in them. They made a choice, possibly based on how they think members of the audience or critics would perceive this, to change one point which I don't see as all that significant. 

Why though? The fact that souls have a gender is relevant in exactly two situations in the books: the Dragon and Halima. Halima might not even be in the show.

This didn't need to be changed because it probably didn't even need to be brought up in the show. The change is uncessary because it has no impact unles they change the story for it to have an impact.

1 minute ago, MasterAblar said:

Why though? The fact that souls have a gender is relevant in exactly two situations in the books: the Dragon and Halima. Halima might not even be in the show.

This didn't need to be changed because it probably didn't even need to be brought up in the show. The change is uncessary because it has no impact unles they change the story for it to have an impact.

Halima I think definitely will not be in the show, as least in the way it is in the books. It would definitely be perceived as strongly antitrans. 

I still think it could be as simple as them wanting Egwene to have a better reason to leave with the others, not to have her reacting to a terrifying Trolloc attack by saying "OK now I want to go have an adventure." 

More likely, perhaps, they don't agree with (or feel audience/critics) will agree with the strict gender divisions. If they want any range of genders or equivalent to exist in the world (even if not in any of the characters) the idea of souls as M/F only can't exist.