DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Any ideas on the changes (adaptions) that Sanderson didn't love?

aclund3

22 hours ago, Elder_Haman said:

Does it?

I does. It absolutely does. Celebrate the showrunners for what they do good, but hold them accountable when they do stuff that's dumb, and this is definitely dumb, even more so because its a totally unnecessary red herring included for no other reason that to make newcomers think that this isn't just one of those stories where a young farm boy discovers he's the Chosen One (spoiler: that's exactly what it is). 

18 hours ago, Deadsy said:

“I found the [vast] majority of these decisions to be excellent choices — things that will give the show its own soul, but still in line with the feel and tone of the books. I can’t say for certain, but my instincts say the fanbase will in general respond to them positively.

So. 

Torn. 

On the one hand, Brandon's books are mediocre at best, gawd awful at worst, so how can I trust him? 

On the other hand, Brandon is actually pretty clear-eyed when it comes to theorizing on storytelling, and he has a firm sense for what is currently popular among audiences. I might actually trust him to see the show objectively and not just sell-out on its behalf. 

On the other hand, he did (by his own admission) screw up Mat. 

It's a toss up. 

The Dragon Reborn will be Rand.  Check out the posters they put up recently with the 'hidden' weaves.  Dead eye circle on Rand.  The showrunners know what they are doing... simply increasing drama/mystery around who the DR is for viewers who haven't read the books (which is going to be a good majority of people watching I'd posit).  Just watch Josha in a recent interview talk about how he wants Rand to be a sheepherder first and not so much a hero and you can see how hard they're trying to make a very big impactful and interesting reveal for the audience by obscuring Rand's importance. I think it'll be important for us book readers to honor that and not spoil it for our non-book friends if we can.

I think of Camelyn not being in S1 less as a cut and more of a move.  Maybe I'm remembering incorrectly, but its in S2 now, right?  That being said, moving entire large sequences like this around has ripple effects and can be downright dangerous for all the reasons others have already mentioned in other threads.  Good luck to all of them making it work.

Perrin seems like a strong candidate for BS's comment so far.

I do wonder if some of the character merging they're going to do has touched some characters BS wouldn't be onboard with, but that's pure speculation on my part.

Edited by aclund3

On 11/3/2021 at 4:00 PM, Rose said:

I'm hoping that the big change he thought the fans wouldn't like was that Egwene is a Dragon candidate. Because it means maybe we're not getting Perrin killing his wife. (Please please please don't give us Perrin killing his wife)

I feel the opposite. He would still end up with Faile I have to imagine. We will know soon enough.

On 11/3/2021 at 4:08 PM, MasterAblar said:

He's only ever with one at a time anyway and pretty much has no idea what going on most of the time anyway.

I think that's a good thing. Otherwise it really would feel like a harem. I would like to see the show focus more on what Elayne and Aviendha taught him and how they helped him. Each of the three women were very important to his development, but we see way more of Min's influence.

1 minute ago, DragonFairy said:

I think that's a good thing. Otherwise it really would feel like a harem. I would like to see the show focus more on what Elayne and Aviendha taught him and how they helped him. Each of the three women were very important to his development, but we see way more of Min's influence.

Oh I agree. When people hear Rand has 3 lovers they don't actually get the information that he's only ever in the company of one a time for the most part. Its not nearly as problematic as people assume I think.

11 minutes ago, DragonFairy said:

Actually, it takes away from her accomplishments because now she had t'avereness to help her.

It reduces the importance of Perrin and Mat as well. Egwene and Nynaeve had these awesome magical powers, while Perrin and Mat had their Ta'veren-ness. Without that they're just some dudes with an axe and quarterstaff. Isn't being Amrylin enough??

22 minutes ago, DragonFairy said:

Actually, it takes away from her accomplishments because now she had t'avereness to help her.

I feel like this is a pretty esoteric debate. Ta'veren is just sort of code for "plot armor" which she undoubtedly has. It's not a huge deal to me either way. In the abstract, I agree that Egwene did all that on her own. But in the concrete, it doesn't really matter that much to me.

12 minutes ago, TheMountain said:

It reduces the importance of Perrin and Mat as well. Egwene and Nynaeve had these awesome magical powers, while Perrin and Mat had their Ta'veren-ness. Without that they're just some dudes with an axe and quarterstaff. Isn't being Amrylin enough??

It's not as if Perrin and Mat don't have magical powers on their own aside from Ta'veren-ness

24 minutes ago, DragonFairy said:

i disagree.

what happened to her was still part of rand ta'veren web. rand needed her to be the amyrlin, so the pattern put her on the amyrlin by convoluted circumstances.

Not to take anything away from her accomplishments, she still did a lot of great things, but without crazy coincidence she wouldn't have gained the stole for another century or two.

so, whether she had her own ta'veren power to propel her, or she was being pushed by rand's ta'veren-ness, it changes nothing.

2 minutes ago, Elder_Haman said:

I feel like this is a pretty esoteric debate. Ta'veren is just sort of code for "plot armor" which she undoubtedly has. It's not a huge deal to me either way. In the abstract, I agree that Egwene did all that on her own. But in the concrete, it doesn't really matter that much to me.

I think it's more than that though, RJ really leans into it as an actual "force" in the universe rather than a trope. The strongest example of this is obviously Rand. Granted, I don't like the change, but I can live with it. Now, if they start having apple orchards bloom around Egwene and a hundred babies being born early wherever she goes, then I'll start to have problems.

6 minutes ago, Skipp said:

It's not as if Perrin and Mat don't have magical powers on their own aside from Ta'veren-ness

Yeah but how do they get those though? Why don't we have hundreds of wolfbrothers and gamblers roaming the countryside? Idk, it's one of those changes that messes with the lore, and nine times out of ten RJ has a reason for why something is the way it is. I dislike it for some of the reasons I posted and others mentioned, but it's not a deal breaker for me. I just find it unnecessary and irksome.

Edited by TheMountain