DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Any ideas on the changes (adaptions) that Sanderson didn't love?

aclund3

Do we have any leads on what the changes were (from print to screen) that Brandon Sanderson 'offered suggestions on'?  Someone recently mentioned the Whitecloak designs on another thread...  I feel like that may be small enough bones to ignore for BS, but it got me curious as to if there had been any sleuthing or generally accepted ideas going on out there.  And please forgive me if this has already been asked/discussed ad nauseum, I've been away from the forums for a long long while (a decade already, really?).

Edited by aclund3

Aside from character development, Perrin having a wife ruins that meme when every one of three guys is like "i wish I could do with women like the other does with them" and THIS is unacceptable!

Edited by Александр Чудинов

1 hour ago, flinn said:

Thinking 27 year old Nynaeve may have been born on dragonmount during the Aiel War has to be one of them. It is so stupid that I am now reconsidering watching the show.

This is not a thing. It will not be part of the show. Please, for the love of the Creator, stop with this "Moiraine thinks Nynaeve could be the Dragon" silliness.

31 minutes ago, TheDreadReader said:

Personally, I'm in the Egwene will be tav'veren camp (since the others seem far too speculative to me).   It would be the kind of thing that Sanderson's "hard fantasy" tendencies would react the most to.

Adding just for clarity "tav'veren" in this case could also just be her being included in the "4 of you" statement.

27 minutes ago, Elder_Haman said:

This is not a thing. It will not be part of the show. Please, for the love of the Creator, stop with this "Moiraine thinks Nynaeve could be the Dragon" silliness.

Nah, she just lied about it …. er “Aes Sedai word played it” as a PR move. Some of us are going to mock that because it needs to be mocked, repeatedly and mercilessly. 

Pulling in more candidates to possibly be the DR is a completely obvious and smart move by Rafe et all to increase drama for the viewers who haven't read the books.  There's no need to mock it.  The DR will still be Rand (the hidden weaves in the posters confirm that for me).  Focusing so much conversation on it here really takes away from more interesting topics.

Egwene being Ta'veren makes a whole lot of sense based on what she accomplishes over the series.  Coming back after a long while I actually couldn't remember if she was or not, and while not book cannon it would play in the show just fine and help deal with any Mary Sue accusations.  I feel like there's probably bigger fish that BS would be concerned about...

Such as Perrin being married already?!  I definitely missed this one.  Very interesting.  Does this mean Faile will be sort of a rebound, introduced after?  Or I wonder if they do that very annoying love triangle thing with a completely new character, sigh...  I can definitely see BS being unhappy with Perrin's character being messed with like this.

I don't have a problem with Moiraine's verbal gymnastics.  (It may be my profession. ?)

I don't think I'm going to like Perrin being married, and that strikes me as something Sanderson would object to.  As has been mentioned already, one of the ongoing threads throughout the books is how all of them think that a) they are hopeless with women, and b) the other two are much better.

Edited by Rand the Plumber

I don't see how Perrin being married would prevent him from thinking he's utterly hopeless with women, especially if it was an arranged marriage he wasn't entirely sure about going into in the first place.  And it's only thoughts anyway.  It certainly would explain why Rand would think Perrin was better at women.

19 minutes ago, WhiteVeils said:

I don't see how Perrin being married would prevent him from thinking he's utterly hopeless with women, especially if it was an arranged marriage he wasn't entirely sure about going into in the first place.  And it's only thoughts anyway.  It certainly would explain why Rand would think Perrin was better at women.

Agreed, it is hinted that the boys in the Two Rivers are matched up by their Mothers/Women's circle.  Not fully arranged marriages as Perrin is outtrage at the idea later in the series but certainly matched up and pushed together without much say from the boy.

Let's see what we "learned" from all the raised alarms here: ?

- egwene will be the real dragon, to pander the feminists. to further pander the lgbt, she'll also be gay or some shade of transgender; this will allow her to channel saidin and saidar together

- nynaeve will be the same age as everyone else, to make her a possible dragon

- mat will be gay

- perrin will start married and will kill his wife

- logain will be the real dragon reborn

- moiraine will be the protagonist of the whole saga. maybe she'll be the actual dragon?

- there will be no distinction between saidin and saidar, gender distinctions are haram nowadays

- min will be gay

- lan will be half-samurai, half-cowboy cop

- the costumes will be ugly

- the team does not respect the original material

- to have a more racially diverse cast, they'll cast a black mat with a chinese mother and native american father

- the characters will engage in lenghty monologues on the virtues of inclusion and diversity

- cutting some early cameos from some secondary characters will ruin the story forever!

I'm sure I'm forgetting some more here.

On the bright side, no more than one of those theories can be true.

On the down side, for most of them, even one of them being true would ruin the story (forever!).

11 minutes ago, king of nowhere said:

- nynaeve will be the same age as everyone else, to make her a possible dragon

Still confused at this. Did they make Egwene the same age as the boys? Cause she's like 3 years younger normally I believe. I know they aged them all up in general.

Do we have an actual quote from Sanderson? I don't remember him implying he had any problem with or "didn't love" any of the changes. He just said there were changes.

Ok, think I found it:

Before someone starts a remake petition before the show doesn’t even have an official air date, though, Sanderson had this to say about how the power struggles and arcane magic of the source material will translate onscreen:

“I found the [vast] majority of these decisions to be excellent choices — things that will give the show its own soul, but still in line with the feel and tone of the books. I can’t say for certain, but my instincts say the fanbase will in general respond to them positively. There are a few I offered suggestions on, and we’ll see,” the author commented in the Reddit Wheel of Time group under the username mistborn (which is one of his novel series).

Brandon Sanderson talks Amazon's Wheel of Time series | SYFY WIRE

Edited by Deadsy

Yeah, that's the one.  I should've had it in the initial post, my bad.

The line of "There are a few I offered suggestions on, and we'll see" seemed curiously noteworthy.  As if he wanted to make sure he distanced himself a bit from some things (which are currently unknowns), thus this whole topic ?

@MasterAblar I wouldn't be surprised if Mat, Rand, Perrin, and Egwene were all around the same age in the show.  Nyneave 'should' be a tad older to play her dynamic with Egwene properly but we'll see.  Probably one of those things BS thought fans would take well to.

Edited by aclund3

It could be cutting Caemlyn. Caemlyn is an important sequence in the book, and several noteworthy events happen there that have later implications. Some cans can be kicked down the road, sure, but I could see Bsand having a minor qualm with it. Or maybe I'm projecting ?

Edited by mogi68

I've listened to a number of podcasts (Writing Excuses) and interviews with Brandon Sanderson (who is one of my favorite fantasy authors), and I can tell you that he is very much in the "adaptations are totally different, and that's okay" camp. He is also a big fan of "Rule of Cool" in film. So, the fact that some things stand out to him is a bit curious and I'd posit that it's something that "book purists" would find a big deal. I would hazard a guess that it's something much more major than just Caemlyn being cut.

Edited by TheMountain

6 minutes ago, TheMountain said:

I've listened to a number of podcasts (Writing Excuses) and interviews with Brandon Sanderson (who is one of my favorite fantasy authors), and I can tell you that he is very much in the "adaptations are totally different, and that's okay" camp. He is also a big fan of "Rule of Cool" in film. So, the fact that some things stand out to him is a bit curious and I'd posit that it's something that "book purists" would find a big deal. I would hazard a guess that it's something much more major than just Caemlyn being cut.

I agree. I still think a character background/motivation change is it. The Perrin hypothesis seemed probable, though I feel like we'd have seen it mentioned on the website if they were doing that one.

Maybe it could be Mat, too.

Or the possibility of a woman DR being floated.

Edited by Agitel