DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Any ideas on the changes (adaptions) that Sanderson didn't love?

aclund3

1 minute ago, Ralph said:

To take the thread back to its starting point - 

Which of the changes we know are happening do we think is the one Brandon thought the fans would dislike? 

- souls not being restricted to one gender

- Dragon potentially (and historically) being female

- Perrin backstory

- Mat backstory

- something else ?

1. No opinion yet as i don't know exactly how they are implementing this.

2. No issue what so ever if this is them just merging The Dragon and Amersu into one soul called The Dragon.

3.  Very interested to see how they handle what has been suggested on these forums.  I think Perrin is one of the harder characters to adapt because most of his arc is internal dialogue/struggle with himself.  So using said trope to help externalize some of that will be interesting.

4. I am kinda excited to see what happens with Mat.  In the first 2 books he is barely a character.  Immature prankster who has no real motivation.  Then all of his character work is because of the Dagger.  So the writers have alot of "blank space" to fill for Mat to make him an engaging character.  Could go either way I suppose. 

9 minutes ago, Ralph said:

To take the thread back to its starting point - 

Which of the changes we know are happening do we think is the one Brandon thought the fans would dislike? 

- souls not being restricted to one gender

- Dragon potentially (and historically) being female

- Perrin backstory

- Mat backstory

- something else ?

And since I completed missed the point of the question my personal answer would be Souls not being restricted to one gender.

But since we know that Sanderson personally doesn't like the fridging trope I am going with Perrins Backstory.

4 minutes ago, Ryan al'Thor said:

My guess is the soul/gender thing. The Mat/Perrin backstory changes are inconsequential ultimately. The soul/gender change potentially and likely much more impactful to how the one power works.

Not if they cause the actor(s) to get the character wrong.

23 hours ago, Skipp said:

2. No issue what so ever if this is them just merging The Dragon and Amersu into one soul called The Dragon. 

Taking this with the fact that Moraine called Lews Therin "The Last Dragon" in the teaser, it makes me think that the Aes Sedai are going to know about the Champion of the Light and the continuous rebirths.... not just the Dragon being Reborn once due to prophecy, and us finding out about the rebirths from Ishy, Zen Rand on Dragonmount, the Dark One, etc. It loses a lot of the subtlety, mystery and discovery of the original work imo by going this route.

31 minutes ago, TheMountain said:

Taking this with the fact that Moraine called Lews Therin "The Last Dragon" in the teaser, it makes me think that the Aes Sedai are going to know about the Champion of the Light and the continuous rebirths.... not just the Dragon being Reborn once due to prophecy, and us finding out about the rebirths from Ishy, Zen Rand on Dragonmount, the Dark One, etc. It loses a lot of the subtlety, mystery and discovery of the original work imo by going this route.

I agree I'm not fond of the Aes Sedai having great knowledge concerning this. Unfortunately stream lining things might be necessary where this is concerned. We'll have to see how it turns out.

"Dragon" was not originally a prophetic name. Lews Therin was made commander/warlord of the forces of the light, and this position they called "Dragon". It was only in the third age that it became prophetic with the Dragon Reborn.

I wonder if we'll keep that nuance.... eventually.

I mean in EotW we don't even know that Moiraine is looking for the Dragon or that that's why the Dark One wants the boys. We only find out at the very end. So already, by telling us right from the start that we're looking for the Dragon, it changes the entire dynamic of the season. Aes Sedai knowing about previous Dragons seems minor to me in comparison.