DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

S1E4: The Dragon Reborn

SinisterDeath
Message added by SinisterDeath,

Reminder:

1. Discussion in this topic is limited to Episode 4.
  2. If your post is about the series, go to the Season 1 Discussion Topic.
  3. If your post doesn't fit in either topic, search the WoT TV show Forum for a similar Topic.
  4. If you cannot find a similar Topic, post a new one. If you are unsure, PM the moderators for help.
  5. If your post is Off-Topic, it will be moved or deleted without warning.
  6. Finally Be Respectful to each other.

45 minutes ago, Kudzu said:

The problem with that, as I just said in another thread is that then it isn't a rumour and certainly not rumours plural. It's direct information.

Not if it comes to Moiraine 3rd hand. For example:

• Min wanders through the Two Rivers and has viewings.
  • Min relays this to someone in the Blue network (either wittingly or unwittingly)
  • The eyes and ears relay it to other eyes and ears.
  • The story reaches Moiraine 3rd or 4th hand.

Problem solved.

My favorite scene as of episode 4 is the scene with Mat and the Fade. 

The whole time I was thinking to myself, “No way they bloody had Mat kill that whole flaming family!” 

And then they show him point out the Fade. ??

I will say, my biggest disappointment so far is that they’re not using WOT curse words. 

Can they really have Uno curse like he does in modern English?

2 hours ago, bringbackthomsmoustache said:

Agreed - having Alannah wear braids with bells on was enough of a nod to the book lore there.

Alanna has low key become one of my favorite characters on WoTPrime that I never thought much about in book.  I hope they cast all the Arafelians as Indian actors now and give us some nice borderlander scenes.  Lots of talented actors I  don't have on my radar.  Expanding audience worldwide with favorite local talent could only help shore up long run for show.  

5 hours ago, Guire said:

Alanna has low key become one of my favorite characters on WoTPrime that I never thought much about in book.  I hope they cast all the Arafelians as Indian actors now and give us some nice borderlander scenes.  Lots of talented actors I  don't have on my radar.  Expanding audience worldwide with favorite local talent could only help shore up long run for show.  

If the backwater Two Rivers is made up of multiple races, why would the much larger, and seemingly more well-traveled Arafel be entirely one race?

57 minutes ago, DojoToad said:

If the backwater Two Rivers is made up of multiple races, why would the much larger, and seemingly more well-traveled Arafel be entirely one race?

Because  it's ok to diversify western-middleage-inspired fictional countries but it's not ok to do it for other ones. But in WoT, i hope that they at least stick to their world-building coherency and every place is more or less like the  ones we have already seen.

5 minutes ago, DaddyFinn said:

I always imagined the aiel and Sea Folk to be homogenous(?) and the rest of the world to be a mixed bag and their culture being more about clothes, accent, behaviour, architecture etc. and less about skin/hair color

Well, I remember also other populations having some distinctive features...like Tarabon golden hair of Cairhen short and pale (if I remember correctly).

2 hours ago, fra85uk said:

Because  it's ok to diversify western-middleage-inspired fictional countries but it's not ok to do it for other ones. But in WoT, i hope that they at least stick to their world-building coherency and every place is more or less like the  ones we have already seen.

What is your term - middleage?

Just now, DojoToad said:

What is your term - middleage?

Well WoT world is surely at a medieval technology level with some renaissance (I think it was defined by RJ as renaissance without guns).

There are many places inspired by middle-age history and lore, e.g. Caemlyn/Camelot, Cairhen/Caerlon.

I have two questions regarding Moiraine's interaction with Logain. 

In the episode they build up how powerful he is compared to them yet in the scene between Lan and Moraine, he asked her if Logain was more powerful than Egwene and she replied, "I don't know".

The presumed list of possible DR candidates are five and they wonder if Logain might be the fifth. Nyneave being one isn't thought about at that point.  It's ONLY AFTER Nyneave's display of power that her being the DR arises.

Now to my questions.

One: What was in Logain's reply to her question about being the DR made her decide that Logain wasn't the DR ?  

Because before that conversation, she has no reason to doubt that he might be the One.

Two: Why couldn't Moraine say whether or not Egwene or Logain were stronger ?

She can tell Egwene's strength because they both are women and in the episode they spend a great deal of time saying  that it takes two full sisters to contain him. 

Thanks for anyone's help with this. I hope my query isn't too confusing. Lol

Let's keep in mind that Moiraine was obviously stalling so Kerene and Liandrin could recover. Moiraine gives us some not subtle glances at Kerene to see how she's doing. She was keeping Logain distracted for that conversation. 

People wonder at Moiraine's appearance there being suspicious. About her using it as an opportunity to question Logain. It may have been as simple as her being clever enough to know where the real threat was and feeling her sisters' channeling/shielding stop, and her going to try to keep Logain contained with stalling tactics.

On 11/29/2021 at 6:27 PM, Elder_Haman said:

What the bloody heck are you talking about?

Yeah, that person is confused. Logain tells Moraine about him hearing former Dragons talking to him as proof that he is the legit DR. He NEVER mentions Rand at all!  She does smirk at him though and I don't know why.

Sorry to join this thread so late.  I've read the first five or six pages and then jumped to the end.  If my post covers ground already travelled, my apologies.

I'm thinking that using any canon from the books (like Nynave's strength in power relative to Rand and Logain) as an argument for a point of view on the progression of the story in the TV series is a bit of a fallacy.  They've changed many things already.  Nothing in the books is "safe" at this point.  In geometry, they list "givens" to be used in a proof.  There are no "givens" here....

As far as this episode goes, I do think it is the best so far.  Mat's thread is compelling.

The battle scene was not impressive......

19 minutes ago, Sabio said:

So Liandrin suggesting/hinting how dangerous Logain is and why it needed to be done to a non BA Aes Sedai, is consistent with the book.

Putting all the "vileness" stuff in context across the episodes we've seen so far.

1.) Opening of the first episode, Liandrin and the Reds capture and possibly gentle a man while Moiraine and Lan look on.

2.) Rand's confrontation with Moiraine after they leave the two rivers.  "What does a man do at the White Tower?"  Not exactly related but it puts the question in the viewers head.

3.) Thom's story of Owyn's gentling (which from the series's perspective is the reason for Thom's break with Morgase and is how the vileness gets exposed via Elaida).

4.) Liandrin's politicking beforehand.

5.) The gentling of Logain.

They've been been pretty consistently laying the foundation across multiple episodes for this.   And, it is the kind of thing where they are adding it in as a "change" but everything is still consistent with the overall book series.   They added some scenes.  They may have moved some timeframes around.  But, it remains generally consistent with the books and it is a good way to develop that plot arc. 

2 minutes ago, TheDreadReader said:

One of the easiest ways to hide the fact that you're hunting the DR is to just go after male channelers and hope you catch the DR in that wider net. 

OK! I buy that, but a logical conclusion it that if you are punishing a group of people without a good reason, and if the punishers are corrupt, then the ones being punished are victims of injustice. This is how Amazon portrays them, so the willingness of many to say their "madness" brought it on them is misguided, at best, and collaborative at worst. The last phrase is said in jest with all the love and fellowship.

3 hours ago, Agitel said:

Let's keep in mind that Moiraine was obviously stalling so Kerene and Liandrin could recover. Moiraine gives us some not subtle glances at Kerene to see how she's doing. She was keeping Logain distracted for that conversation. 

People wonder at Moiraine's appearance there being suspicious. About her using it as an opportunity to question Logain. It may have been as simple as her being clever enough to know where the real threat was and feeling her sisters' channeling/shielding stop, and her going to try to keep Logain contained with stalling tactics.

36 minutes ago, TheDreadReader said:

Putting all the "vileness" stuff in context across the episodes we've seen so far.

1.) Opening of the first episode, Liandrin and the Reds capture and possibly gentle a man while Moiraine and Lan look on.

2.) Rand's confrontation with Moiraine after they leave the two rivers.  "What does a man do at the White Tower?"  Not exactly related but it puts the question in the viewers head.

3.) Thom's story of Owyn's gentling (which from the series's perspective is the reason for Thom's break with Morgase and is how the vileness gets exposed via Elaida).

4.) Liandrin's politicking beforehand.

5.) The gentling of Logain.

They've been been pretty consistently laying the foundation across multiple episodes for this.   And, it is the kind of thing where they are adding it in as a "change" but everything is still consistent with the overall book series.   They added some scenes.  They may have moved some timeframes around.  But, it remains generally consistent with the books and it is a good way to develop that plot arc. 

So you are basically saying the writers and Rafe know their job? How dare you?! (/s)

It's pretty great tbh

Edited by DaddyFinn

The Fade was fight was really interesting.  It seems to have shadowwalked from the top floor to the ground floor.  It moved very unnaturally like when it swung at Thom, likely they removed frames from the film to achieve that.  When Thom kicked the fade it seemed to glide back into the darkness.  And that knife catch was just perfect.