DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

S1E4: The Dragon Reborn

SinisterDeath
Message added by SinisterDeath,

Reminder:

1. Discussion in this topic is limited to Episode 4.
  2. If your post is about the series, go to the Season 1 Discussion Topic.
  3. If your post doesn't fit in either topic, search the WoT TV show Forum for a similar Topic.
  4. If you cannot find a similar Topic, post a new one. If you are unsure, PM the moderators for help.
  5. If your post is Off-Topic, it will be moved or deleted without warning.
  6. Finally Be Respectful to each other.

• Community Administrator

For discussing Season 1, Episode 4 titled "The Dragon Reborn".

Reminder:

1. Keep discussion focused on this Episode.
  2. If your post isn't about this episode, find a thread that's similar to what you're talking about, or create a new thread.
  3. Be Respectful to each other.
  4. If your posts are off-topic, they will be moved or deleted.

Running thoughts.

• I like Logain. Curious who his "madness memories" are. Considering in Ep 1 there is a clearly defined person.
  • Also kinda interesting that when "calling" the source it seems cleanish...but then when telling it what to do the taint just...slides over it like a sheath. Kinda neat interpretation. Leads men to maybe thinking... "THIS time it will not be t...oh no its still tainted. Oh wellz".
  • A shield weave...something new in appearance from the power we have seen before. Looks like a fish net. Love it. An actual "difference"
  • I like seeing a different Aes Sedai and Warder relationship.
  • Loving the talk about the Greens. Very much like peacetime soldiers spoke of the time before major global conflict. "I thought it was so heroic. The Battle Ajah, warriors trained to defend humanity from the Dark One at the Last Battle. But I never thought I'd see it myself."
  • Heeeeey, look at Rand being a leader. Attaboy! Use that bow knowledge my dude.
  • You are welcome around our fire, as long as you promise not to shove anyone into it. HA.
  • Mmmm, drill home that internal moral Axe conflict - bless the Tuatha'an. Advance that plot point like a boss ?
  • Best episodic pacing sofar. It's really slowed down. Much if not more happens here than other eps and does not feel too rushed.
  • tentacle vomit. Thats new. How on earth did Wheel of Time beat anime to that... lol.
  • Thom making a strong pump fake towards Mat this episode in regards to the DR with the story about Owen. I like this for explaining how gentling isn't some kind of mercy. Also...daaaaaaang. Steak knife. Gives Thom a reason to stay with them too. Was wondering how that was gonna go what with the revamp to how they met.
  • Great discussion moment of both what the Bonding is, and what Aes Sedai meant in the old tongue. The sexual innuendo. I get it but. Wow them Greens just come off dripping with it. Also I'm still one of the never bonded Greens at the Tower here. I'm too much of a pain in the ass lol.
  • Wooooah, for a second I thought Matt had gone full monster. Maybe he did what with tenty-vomit back in frame...but then he full on Glee posed against that Fade. Did he or didn't he...oh man...getting that Scooby Doo twitch. 
  • I would like AMAZON to partner with Coleman to make tents like the Greens and Reds have. I love those.
  • Nyn with the Old Tongue. Impress Lan a bit whydontcha
  • The arrow scene is cool now that I see the second half. Thanks Green Neo ?
  • Green Channeling is much more utilitarian. I like this.
  • Seeing a warder react to the loss of his Aes Sedai. Dang...I felt that pain.
  • Well...shit (the explosion)
  • Hard fake to Nyn as the DR now. Thats TWO pump fakes in the same episode. Further reinforcing the fact Rand will still be the DR. Why? Because they have yet to ever explicitly say he will be. Thom: its Mat. The AS in the camp: Its Nyn. Eg was hinted at early on. Really only Perrin and Rand have not been hinted at. Dem boys just Angry and Strong. Plus it Indicates Nyn is POWERFUL. Which - was never actually in question. But new viewers are gonna see this come to Jesus moment and be like... Oh Em Gee..its her huh!?
  • Gentling...hooooly heck.
Edited by CaddySedai

This pace is much nicer in this episode. The show stops for a second to take a breath with basically none of the character moving at all. Lot of dialogue, lot of exposition but not in a put you to sleep manner.

Overall I really enjoyed it. Things that come to mind:

- They are reeeeeeeeeally investing in this Dragon Reborn mystery. Mat, Logain, Nyneave, even a shout out to Egwene for her strength. I almost want to say to show is pointing to Rand by omission ?

- I quite like what they've done with Logain. He's convinced he's the Dragon Reborn and that is bring out both the good in him and the bad. His madness is new but not really problematic. Strictly speaking the first pov we get from Logain is in aMoL by which time he could have been healed by Nyneave, so it's entirely possible he did have some madness in the books. His healing abilites make me wonder if Flinn's role will be taken over by him later on.

- Nyneave and Lan getting to know each other, how cute

- Logain gentled yet it's hinted in his character trailer that he could still see ta'veren. Wonder how that works out.

- Thank god Mat didn't kill those people. Instead I really like the symbolism of the dagger and the Shadar Logoth influence being called out by the Myrrdral's presence. Nice touch showing that they are both evil yet opposite's

- So uh.... Nyneave just healed everyone in the room. Which is crazy. But at the same time I'm not really that attached to the exact mechanism's of healing so alright then.

- Did Moiraine lead Logain's army to the camp or just take advantage of the situation? I can see it either way.

I will say that the channelling in the battle got a little... boring? Just ground exploding like there were landmines. Granted that was pretty much all Alanna but hopefully a bit more variety in the future.

Not sure how all the channelling strength comparisons exactly match up in the books. I'd have to back and read up on it a little. Don't think 2 women could actually shield Logain if he's trying to get out, but he may not have been trying then as well since he put up much more of a fight later and broke out. He's plainly stated to be extremely strong, and Nyneave's strength is also made apparent.

Edited by MasterAblar

4 minutes ago, MasterAblar said:

- So uh.... Nyneave just healed everyone in the room. Which is crazy. But at the same time I'm not really that attached to the exact mechanism's of healing so alright then.

As a Green I have already begun planning for this new wrinkle. 

Take her and Lan to the Last Battle. After the initial meeting of forces just slit Lan's throat...She'll grief fix the army.

Then Profit. ? 

5 minutes ago, MasterAblar said:

Thinking about it Logain reacting to Nyneave's channelling is a bit... odd? He can't see her weaves normally.

I suppose you can argue that he saw the effect which was some kind of healing shockwave.

See thats the curious thing. They DO say that they can’t see his weave. So that is intact in the lore. we are getting the 4th wall viewer benefit of seeing both sides. 

So he may have FELT the ripples in the source from such a large weave. Or maybe Nyn managed to actually MAKE a visible healing effect. Not unlike one would see the fire created by a weave. 

Fantastic episode, best one so far for me.  The show is really starting to build.

Tons of world-building details and foreshadowing:

a.  Birgitte Silverbow doll

b.  Full Owyn story from Thom.  Hilarious he thinks Matt is a channeler

c.  Logaine hearing voices from past lives and talking about doing better during this iteration of the wheel.  Some of that sounds similar to Rand's veins of gold experience

d.  Aram mentioning that the Tinkers leave their wagons at 20 and some even take up arms

e.  Nynaeve gaining a new respect and starting to have a new fascination with Lan.  She looked ready to explode during the whole battle.  How fitting that she exploding in a healing rage rather than a death rage.  

f.  Good way to build up tension by making it look like Matt killed that family.  they getting the creep factor real nice

g.  Slower pace, lots of conversations making the show way better.

i.  Love  the different personalities of the Ajahs.  Liandrin giving those reds a great representation, especially with her unethical black ajah leanings starting to take form.

j.  the battles and special effects are still not the best at the end, but the Logaine shielding and Nynaeve healing explosion were all great.  

Definitely way more tuned in after the 4th episode.  

8 minutes ago, CaddySedai said:

then again when shielding Logain they could FEEL his power against the shield. Maybe her healing "aura" was so great it washed over him too?

I don’t think it’s wrong they could feel his power. It would be more accurate to say that they could feel the pressure he was putting on their shield. 

Which in my opinion he was definitely holding back intentionally.

I did think that them saying only certain Aes Sedai were strong enough to shield him together was weird. Since they can link everyone could participate but evidently they wanted to keep the linking thing for the end of the episode.

Edited by MasterAblar

3 minutes ago, Agitel said:

Lots of good character moments this episode. I'm still processing and will have to rewatch. I still find myself thinking "the books do it this way" on the first watch, apparently.

The running post thing I did helped me. Had me reacting in hot takes lol.

LOVED this episode. The first three I enjoyed with some reservations but this was the first one I was fully invested in. I almost cried four times:

1. Ila explains to Perrin why she follows the Way of the Leaf.

2. Thom tells Rand about Owyn.

3. Lan translates the Old Tongue for Nynaeve.

4. Nynaeve finally explodes with the One Power.

Also love that Alanna's Warders are bi ❤️

And finding myself enjoying Liandrin way more than I thought I would.

Light willing, in later seasons they will get a bigger budget for the One Power SFX, although I thought it was better in this episode than Episode 1.

9 minutes ago, Mnemosyne said:

LOVED this episode. The first three I enjoyed with some reservations but this was the first one I was fully invested in. I almost cried four times:

1. Ila explains to Perrin why she follows the Way of the Leaf.

2. Thom tells Rand about Owyn.

3. Lan translates the Old Tongue for Nynaeve.

4. Nynaeve finally explodes with the One Power.

Also love that Alanna's Warders are bi ❤️

And finding myself enjoying Liandrin way more than I thought I would.

Light willing, in later seasons they will get a bigger budget for the One Power SFX, although I thought it was better in this episode than Episode 1.

My wife cried during Ila's Way of the leaf speach.  I teared up for Nynaeve's moment.

Such a good episode.