DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

S1E4: The Dragon Reborn

SinisterDeath
Message added by SinisterDeath,

Reminder:

1. Discussion in this topic is limited to Episode 4.
  2. If your post is about the series, go to the Season 1 Discussion Topic.
  3. If your post doesn't fit in either topic, search the WoT TV show Forum for a similar Topic.
  4. If you cannot find a similar Topic, post a new one. If you are unsure, PM the moderators for help.
  5. If your post is Off-Topic, it will be moved or deleted without warning.
  6. Finally Be Respectful to each other.

For some reason, the Fade's attack in the barn was the highlight of the episode for me. That's how I imagined a Fade's movement and reactions would be. Loved how Mat was drawn to it...was the Fade hesitating to attack Mat because of the dagger? Loved how Thom engaged as well, leaving us with a bit of mystery at how he fared...a cool parallel with his fate in tEotW.

Rand is good at running away, isn't he? ?

Excellent Logain scenes. I like the angle they're taking with him and the Aes Sedai.

All eyes on Nynaeve! She's loaded with healing power, and the shell game continues.

Nice tinker scenes too. Perrin's scenes gave me hope for more. I'm intrigued how his wolf dreams (and Egwene's dreamwalks) will develop. 

Best episode yet, imho. Ramping up!

Edited by ManetherenTaveren

• Community Administrator
2 minutes ago, ArrylT said:

Glad that Kerene Nagashi died this way rather than 

Reveal hidden contents

?

Or was she?

Perhaps 

Spoiler

Liandrin purposely set this situation up to free Logain so she could still him & allow Logain to kill Kerene so she had plasuible deniability.

1 minute ago, ManetherenTaveren said:

Loved how Mat was drawn to it...was the Fade hesitating to attack Mat because of the dagger?

His hand movement reminded me of a marionette. As if Mashadar was controlling his body.

I take back all the bad things I said, this is more like it!

The actor playing Logain is awesome! 

Mat saying "I see you" literally made me jump, wasn't expecting that! Also like how it's ambiguous as to who murdered the family. Seriously not enjoying the fact Mat got recast. 

I thought the Tinker scenes fit together much better. 

A few moments when I had to turn captions on (something I'm not a fan of typically) so I could understand what they were saying. 

Nynaeve's raging sun moment was awesome. 

I guess I can see what they're doing with the heavy handed "any one could be the dragon" stuff...

Overall, if this is how the episodes are trending, I'll be delighted. 

I particularly like how they've used constraint in showing the weaves to this point in order to let a powerful channeler's reveal (e.g., Nynaeve) be all the more visually impactful. Like, "Now THIS is channeling!" Well done!

2 minutes ago, SinisterDeath said:

Or was she?

Perhaps 

Hide contents

Liandrin purposely set this situation up to free Logain so she could still him & allow Logain to kill Kerene so she had plasuible deniability.

Very true!   I also like that idea better than it hinting Moiraine was setting it up - I have no issues with her taking advantage of it to confirm Logain was a False Dragon though.  

But either way still a better death (imo) than as described in the books is all (for me).   

Absolutely loved this episode.  Already watched it twice.  While I have not had a problem with the changes so far, there are three that I question, and they all seem to revolve around Leandrin, one from the first episode and two from the new one:

1.  E1: Leandrin's description of how when men touch the source, they dirty it.  My only issue here is that it seems to ignore the Saidin/Saidar distinction.  When men hold saidin, they feel the taint, but it is only when Aes Sedai become bonded to Asha'man that they really experience that or even what Saidin feels like. In other words, as far as her own experience goes, Leandrin has never felt "dirtied" power because male channelers don't affect her experience of Saidar.  I get that she could just be being overly dramatic here, given Reds' distate for make channelers.

2.  E4: didn't get why Leandrin was so upset (like believably upset) about Logain killing one of her sisters, given what we know about her?

3. E4: how did they know they could gentle Logain without 13 Aes Sedai there?  Totally OK with them abandoning that dumb rule altogether, but at this point in the books, didn't they still think 13 was necessary?

Again, minor things.  Love the show so far!

3 minutes ago, FloydPepper said:

2.  E4: didn't get why Leandrin was so upset (like believably upset) about Logain killing one of her sisters, given what we know about her?

She may have had hopes of flipping her. And her hatred of male channelers.

Edited by CaddySedai

11 minutes ago, WheelofJuke said:

I particularly like how they've used constraint in showing the weaves to this point in order to let a powerful channeler's reveal (e.g., Nynaeve) be all the more visually impactful. Like, "Now THIS is channeling!" Well done!

Then Rand is gonna be a nuclear bomb. lol.

This is the show I was looking for. 

Each episode has gotten increasingly better, and there is still plenty of room for improvement but this episode has given me faith in this show. Loved it all, the Myrddraal attack, the Tinker’s wagons looked just as I pictured them, and Logain’s Dragonsworn (Flase Dragonsworn?) army attacking the Aes Sedai camp and then Nynaeve fully unleashed. 

?

1 hour ago, Pandemonium said:

Fantastic episode, best one so far for me.  The show is really starting to build.

Tons of world-building details and foreshadowing:

a.  Birgitte Silverbow doll

b.  Full Owyn story from Thom.  Hilarious he thinks Matt is a channeler

c.  Logaine hearing voices from past lives and talking about doing better during this iteration of the wheel.  Some of that sounds similar to Rand's veins of gold experience

d.  Aram mentioning that the Tinkers leave their wagons at 20 and some even take up arms

e.  Nynaeve gaining a new respect and starting to have a new fascination with Lan.  She looked ready to explode during the whole battle.  How fitting that she exploding in a healing rage rather than a death rage.  

f.  Good way to build up tension by making it look like Matt killed that family.  they getting the creep factor real nice

g.  Slower pace, lots of conversations making the show way better.

i.  Love  the different personalities of the Ajahs.  Liandrin giving those reds a great representation, especially with her unethical black ajah leanings starting to take form.

j.  the battles and special effects are still not the best at the end, but the Logaine shielding and Nynaeve healing explosion were all great.  

Definitely way more tuned in after the 4th episode.  

I agree with these thoughts, and the best part is that they managed to do in a manner that felt natural. This episode was hands down the best so far. Logain was fantastic. 

But damn they are changing a lot. Ok, now that we’ve told Logain’s story, and finally explained a few things to the audience about the Ajahs and the OP and the madness, and started really fleshing out the characters, I hope we can now back to something a bit closer to the books? We’ve got 4 epis left to do the Ways, Fal Dara, the Blight, the Eye, and the DR reveal. If they keep adding new stuff that means they’re gonna have to keep cutting deeper and deeper. 

22 minutes ago, JaimAybara said:

I’m not totally sold on

Reveal hidden contents

Ishamael in his dreams 

It’s okay. Everything else is solid. ?

We will see how it plays out when they start conversing... IE post scary screamy mouth phase. LOL

This episode just blew my mind. Liandrin is the portraying the perfect red ajah that we I love to hate. Lan/Nynaeve scene with the praying was ?. Holy Logain portraying the Dragon Reborn vibes very well. Love the added touch in the opening with him wanting to bind everyone and not killing off the king. Also the episode ending was EPIC. Instead of a cold opening it felt like a cliff drop close. 

Gotta re-watch it a second time because HOLY there was so much to unpack. This blew the first episode out of the waters by FAR for me. I am so excited for Thursdays to be my new favourite date of the week until Christmas. 

WOW. Wow wow wow. I enjoyed the first 3 episodes but this one completely blew me away. Rambling thoughts 

• That "prologue"! Wow, what a great introduction to both saidin, the taint, and Logain all at once. Really enjoyed his madness expression.
  • I found the Tinker colors a lot brighter in this episode. Dunno if it was a filter issue or maybe the wagons helped? Either way, was less jarring with my internal head canons and, more importantly, gave them some distinct visual personality
  • Ila's conversation with Perrin was perfect. Made me tear up and was a beautiful defense of the Way of the Leaf, especially in the WoT universe
  • Aram continues to be an engaging character whose presence I enjoy. This is witchcraft.
  • Mat is grabbing his dagger ? really like the way they're showing its effects
  • Thom's deduction is perfectly reasonable based on the information available to him (not to mention Owyn would make him predisposed to see evidence of male channelers). Loving the head fakes they're throwing
  • FADE FIGHT. What a grisly scene. Great fight too. Wish we'd gotten more of Thom
  • The Warder and Aes Sedai interactions were fantastic. I love that we see different types of relationships they have. They're not all the same!
  • "You always get emotional when I drink" made me laugh
  • Some good exposition on three of the Ajahs
  • That quiet moment between Lan and Nynaeve was very sweet and also gave us some early Malkier backstory
  • The combat channeling looked a lot better than it did in the trailer and I think a lot smoother than in E1. Still a couple moments of jankiness but that's probably inevitable
  • When Moiraine talks with Logain, and talks about the power of the DR, it cuts to Egwene. A second head fake!
  • I did not expect to see everyone dying. Actually made me nervous! And I know better!
  • Nynaeve being a nuclear bomb of channeling is absolutely canon, and I love that her first intentional channeling is to heal people. Hell yes Wisdom!
  • And a third head fake! Absolutely love it.
  • The Amrylin Seat is gonna be PISSED. Also, did Liandrin set this up? Go Light.

Phew. Can't wait to rewatch tomorrow,  get more reactions. I'm so hype about the quality and content of the show. What a time to be alive ? 

Liked:

• Nothing is more dangerous than a man who knows the past
  • Most Thom, Mat, and Rand scenes
  • Lan and Nynaeve interactions
  • You always get emotional when I drink
  • Are you sure you haven’t already found it?
  • Fade scared of mashadar?
  • Moiraine confronting Logain after escape
  • Using their own arrows against them
  • Nynaeve’s radiant sun moment

Did not like:

• Ila still in the lead rather than Raen
  • Thom fighting successfully against the fade. Should have been pinned to the wall
  • Why didn’t Aes Sedai link to hold the shield?
  • Why was Aes Sedai camp so far from the cave with Logain?
  • Why did warders and Aes Sedai have such a hard time with Logain’s army?
  • Fight choreography terrible
  • About 100 people in Logain’s “army”
  • Why don’t Aes Sedai and Warders stand ground after initial contact - retreating fight puts them at disadvantage 
  • Moiraine left with scar on initial healing
  • Why did Logain stand like an idiot while the Aes Sedai linked to gentle him - he fought everything else
  • Steppin did not go into berserker rage I expected

3 minutes ago, DojoToad said:

Liked:

• Nothing is more dangerous than a man who knows the past
  • Most Thom, Mat, and Rand scenes
  • Lan and Nynaeve interactions
  • You always get emotional when I drink
  • Are you sure you haven’t already found it?
  • Fade scared of mashadar?
  • Moiraine confronting Logain after escape
  • Using their own arrows against them
  • Nynaeve’s radiant sun moment

Did not like:

• Ila still in the lead rather than Raen
  • Thom fighting successfully against the fade. Should have been pinned to the wall
  • Why didn’t Aes Sedai link to hold the shield?
  • Why was Aes Sedai camp so far from the cave with Logain?
  • Why did warders and Aes Sedai have such a hard time with Logain’s army?
  • Fight choreography terrible
  • About 100 people in Logain’s “army”
  • Why don’t Aes Sedai and Warders stand ground after initial contact - retreating fight puts them at disadvantage 
  • Moiraine left with scar on initial healing
  • Why did Logain stand like an idiot while the Aes Sedai linked to gentle him - he fought everything else
  • Steppin did not go into berserker rage I expected

Soooooo - you still dislike it then? I math that at 9 to 11 ?