DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

S1E4: The Dragon Reborn

SinisterDeath
Message added by SinisterDeath,

Reminder:

1. Discussion in this topic is limited to Episode 4.
  2. If your post is about the series, go to the Season 1 Discussion Topic.
  3. If your post doesn't fit in either topic, search the WoT TV show Forum for a similar Topic.
  4. If you cannot find a similar Topic, post a new one. If you are unsure, PM the moderators for help.
  5. If your post is Off-Topic, it will be moved or deleted without warning.
  6. Finally Be Respectful to each other.

2 minutes ago, Maximillion said:

I am not talking about Episode 1.

I am talking about the scene where the Green Aes Sedai wanders off for a threesome, then Lan says he is retiring too and wanders off.  Nynaeve is looking on clearly wondering whether he is off to shag Morraine.

Then we seen them together in the room, get on to the bed for a chat and then it cuts away.

It was an entirely sh*t sequence.

And we see again that they don't, contrasted with that Green and shown the different relationships some Aea Sedai have with their warders.

Edited by Agitel

2 minutes ago, Maximillion said:

I am talking about the scene where the Green Aes Sedai wanders off for a threesome, then Lan says he is retiring too and wanders off.  Nynaeve is looking on clearly wondering whether he is off to shag Morraine.

Then we seen them together in the room, get on to the bed for a chat and then it cuts away.

I need to rewatch that I guess. I didn't get any sexual vibes there although if it's just Nyneave that doesn't mean much.

4 minutes ago, Maximillion said:

There was zero sexual tension there. This is just in your head. 

6 minutes ago, Maximillion said:

Ohhh I see. That’s fair. I think it is just red herring. I haven’t thought anything of it at all, then again we have book knowledge, so I can see how others might be curious about it or be led to believe that. 

6 hours ago, WhiteVeils said:

She definitely is stronger, and that's just fine. Why shouldn't she be?

Anyway....did anyone else notice the beginning credits had changed?

She shouldn't be stronger than Logain to the extend that stunned him. Lanfear certainly tops Nyn, that makes Nyn at most in the second strongest female rank. Taim is rightfully a forsaken in both power and impacts, and Logain is his rival (I think they will keep Taim). So that makes Taim and Logain at least around the second strongest male rank. Even if they are aligning the strongest men and women channellers in the show, Logain and Nyn should still come close in strength. I'm not even referring explicitly to the rankings in the book, but making sense out of story structure.

As an aside, why do people keep reading any interaction between opposite genders as automatically sexual?

It's not just the one poster here, I see it all over the place with this obsession in seeing Moraine and Lan as a thing.

Don't get me wrong, it's meant to be a curiosity if you're new to the series, my wife actually asked about it, but it becomes very obvious very fast that they're just friends.

Makes me wonder what people will say when we get Mat and a certain Archer just hanging out together.

24 minutes ago, Elder_Haman said:

There was zero sexual tension there. This is just in your head. 

Spoiler

This is where I am, but I do think a lot of non-book readers could be led to believe they are. Which they may intentionally be doing. They don’t know any of the in- world cultural norms and will project their own onto the situation. At least enough to be questioning. Bathing naked with someone and hanging out on there bed are two events that doesn’t make it that wild of an assumption to make that they are sexually involved. But he’s not. So it doesn’t matter.

Edited by JaimAybara

15 minutes ago, KakitaOCU said:

As an aside, why do people keep reading any interaction between opposite genders as automatically sexual?

It's not just the one poster here, I see it all over the place with this obsession in seeing Moraine and Lan as a thing.

Don't get me wrong, it's meant to be a curiosity if you're new to the series, my wife actually asked about it, but it becomes very obvious very fast that they're just friends.

Makes me wonder what people will say when we get Mat and a certain Archer just hanging out together.

You know full well Mat and Birgitte would bang if they had time for it.

15 minutes ago, KakitaOCU said:

given that lan retires to moiraine's tent and sits in bed talking with her and we are shown only 1 bed I would say it is pretty implicit that they sleep together...

Just now, divica said:

given that lan retires to moiraine's tent and sits in bed talking with her and we are shown only 1 bed I would say it is pretty implicit that they sleep together...

Couple of issues there.

We see a Chaise lounge and Moraine wasn't expected, chances are this is scrabbled together for her use.  

We don't see the entire tent interior, so there might very well have been a second cot.

The idea that because there is only one bed they HAD to sleep together is a little weird.  I've stayed at places with people of both genders where there weren't enough beds and one of us just slept on the floor.

Even if they did share a bed, that doesn't mean sexual tension or romance.  Similar to above, I've roomed with people and slept in the same bed as someone else without there being any tension sexual or otherwise.

15 minutes ago, Maximillion said:

Some good news for fans of the show.

The E4 rating is a 9.3/10 on IMDB after 1,300 votes

E1 was 7.5/10

E2 8.2/10

E3 8.1/10

On the other hand I would say that the number of voters is very problematic.

For example, the witcher has around 15 to 20k people voting.

I was thinking of Karene healing Moiraine and I was a bit bothered that Moiraine mentioned the healing taking energy from Karene. This doesn't really follow the books where the healing Aes Sedai use is basically first aid, which takes energy from the person being healed rather than the healer. The distinction might not be made for the show when it comes to Nyneave who instead uses her own energy of course, with her perhaps just be capable of healing graver wounds.

That being said, and I don't know if it's correct, but the WoT wiki does say that healing major wounds "will hear naturally, but in mere seconds" so leaving a scar wouldn't be abnormal, particularly if the wound has been festering for a while.

Just now, MasterAblar said:

I was thinking of Karene healing Moiraine and I was a bit bothered that Moiraine mentioned the healing taking energy from Karene. This doesn't really follow the books where the healing Aes Sedai use is basically first aid, which takes energy from the person being healed rather than the healer. The distinction might not be made for the show when it comes to Nyneave who instead uses her own energy of course, with her perhaps just be capable of healing graver wounds.

That being said, and I don't know if it's correct, but the WoT wiki does say that healing major wounds "will hear naturally, but in mere seconds" so leaving a scar wouldn't be abnormal, particularly if the wound has been festering for a while.

I didn't take that as "Healing took energy from you"  So much as "Using that weave shouldn't have to strained or stressed"  Which opens the discussion about how much effort it takes to shield Logain.

2 minutes ago, KakitaOCU said:

Couple of issues there.

We see a Chaise lounge and Moraine wasn't expected, chances are this is scrabbled together for her use.  

We don't see the entire tent interior, so there might very well have been a second cot.

The idea that because there is only one bed they HAD to sleep together is a little weird.  I've stayed at places with people of both genders where there weren't enough beds and one of us just slept on the floor.

Even if they did share a bed, that doesn't mean sexual tension or romance.  Similar to above, I've roomed with people and slept in the same bed as someone else without there being any tension sexual or otherwise.

On the other hand we aren't talking about a series based on kakitaOCU's life.

If we shou aes sedai going to have sex with wardens and then lan going to moiraine's chamber to share a bed with her it is pretty normal to assume they are going to have sex. Otherwwise the scene shoulbe be done completly diferent.

Really enjoyed the episode. Logain was fantastic right the way through and I really enjoyed the little smiles before he broke the shield. It was a great way of showing that he was playing with the AS and using just enough strength against the shield to tire them but not break himself out too early. 

The representation of the taint was great, especially the two whispering taint ghosts on his shoulders. 

I did find the lack of linking a bit odd, especially when they did it at the end. 

The leaving of the scar didn’t sit well with me as the original healing method was either healed or not healed, so didn’t leave scars. 

I don’t think Logain was overawed by Nynaeve’s power display, I think it was Nynaeve being a TV. It’s similar to how Nicola describes seeing a TV, like a blinding light. No problem if they do make Nynaeve an equal to the more powerful men but they then need to allow the men to link as well. 

The Reds being described as essentially AS police for all channellers, including other AS, was a great touch and sets up the storyline of them taking over the tower via a military coup. 

The fight choreography continues to be wonky but that’s a limit of tv, so no huge gripe in reality. Struggling to see the full £10m an episode budget but I can imagine that Covid swallowed a lot of the budget up sadly. 

Alanna was alluring, sexy, playful, emotional and a devastating fighter, just like imagined her. 

I did want the Warder to go more beseker and I didn’t really like that the AS shield could be broken by a physical axe. 

Definitely more invested in the series now. 

1 minute ago, divica said:

On the other hand we aren't talking about a series based on kakitaOCU's life.

If we shou aes sedai going to have sex with wardens and then lan going to moiraine's chamber to share a bed with her it is pretty normal to assume they are going to have sex. Otherwwise the scene shoulbe be done completly diferent.

Did I imply or state that?   Your point would be fine if I was somehow arguing that because I personally had such an experience it was fine.   My point is that lots of people have these purely platonic situations and the idea that sex is in everything is a stretch.

So, tell me.  What if one of the Warders was female.  Alanna the green picks up her Warder/Husbands and heads off.  Then a female warder says they're going to retire.  Would you think they were immediately going off to have sex?

3 minutes ago, Meskell said:

Really enjoyed the episode. Logain was fantastic right the way through and I really enjoyed the little smiles before he broke the shield. It was a great way of showing that he was playing with the AS and using just enough strength against the shield to tire them but not break himself out too early. 

Agreed, I thought Logain was really fantastic, shame we gotta wait a couple seasons to see him full power again.

I did find the lack of linking a bit odd, especially when they did it at the end. 

That's definitely in order to allow the linking at the end to be more impactful, although to be fair I wouldn't put it past Aes Sedai arrogance to stop them from linking.

I don’t think Logain was overawed by Nynaeve’s power display, I think it was Nynaeve being a TV. It’s similar to how Nicola describes seeing a TV, like a blinding light. No problem if they do make Nynaeve an equal to the more powerful men but they then need to allow the men to link as well. 

Agree here although I very much hope they don't. Saidin and Saidar are very much supposed to be distinct from the way the weaves are formed to the advantages (to a certain extent) each will give. The magic system is one of the most fascinating parts of the world, so turning into different but literally exactly the same would be a big mistake in my opinion.

The Reds being described as essentially AS police for all channellers, including other AS, was a great touch and sets up the storyline of them taking over the tower via a military coup. 

Didn't even think of the whole military coup angle, especially considering the green are arguably even more military style (as much as Aes Sedai could be at least). Beyond that the color red is often used to symbolize policing in the WoT world I believe

9 minutes ago, KakitaOCU said:

Did I imply or state that?   Your point would be fine if I was somehow arguing that because I personally had such an experience it was fine.   My point is that lots of people have these purely platonic situations and the idea that sex is in everything is a stretch.

So, tell me.  What if one of the Warders was female.  Alanna the green picks up her Warder/Husbands and heads off.  Then a female warder says they're going to retire.  Would you think they were immediately going off to have sex?

If the warder retires to someone's tent, there is a single bed and she has an intimate talk with that someone then yes.

If the idea wasn't to make you assume that the warder is going to have sex then don't show several warders retiring to have sex and your female warder doing the same at the same time...

It is a matter of knowing how to write a scene...

2 minutes ago, divica said:

If the warder retires to someone's tent, there is a single bed and she has an intimate talk with that someone then yes.

If the idea wasn't to make you assume that the warder is going to have sex then don't show several warders retiring to have sex and your female warder doing the same at the same time...

It is a matter of knowing how to write a scene...

I know I’m coming into this argument late but I would 100% say the intention from the writers, with that scene, was for non-readers to assume that Moiraine and Lan are about to have sex. 

It’s all geared up to be a shock when he starts dating Nynaeve.

The camera lingers on the green coming over to take her warder. Then a coy discussion about maintaining energy and then the Lan immediately stating that he is going to see Moiraine, with knowing looks from the other warder and Nynaeve looking annoyed.