DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Could WOT learn from Fallout?

I'm curious on people's thoughts regarding Fallout.  I have to say I'm enjoying a lot more than other Amazon shows such as WOT and the Ring of Power.  Ring of Power is ok, but I find it disappointing considering its huge budget.  Something with that large of a budget should have a better story.   Is it simply because of the topic or is there something other series could learn from it?  I know some issues WOT has to deal with is being based off books and Game of Thrones comparisons?  GOT was made with the plan of putting it on TV where RJ never considered a WOT series when he started writing it.  It just seems to me that everything with Fallout just seems better, the CGI, less wasted time, character development, etc Fallout to me just seems more professional and of a higher quality.  

Posted (edited)

Isn't Fallout based on a video game? Is there millennia of lore? Contradictory and cryptic Prophecies? Multiple cultures spanning the entire globe? Over 2,000 named characters, including over 100 with their own distinct POV narratives? Obviously I know nothing about Fallout, but it sounds like you're asking  "Wouldn't a WoT TV show be better if it was based on a simpler story?"

Edited by Kaleb

But WOT/Rings of Power/Fallout still have lore etc.  I think fallout has done a good job of putting the lore of the video games in.  It would have been easy for them to just ignore the games and have done their own thing entirely.  I understand a book needs to be trimmed, but it just seems the difference in quality between WOT/Ring of Power compared to Fallout is pretty large.  

Fallout can teach WoT nothing it is very poor despite some good acting from Goggins and Purnell.

Beyond stupid characters making dumb decisions and huge plot holes. Maximus is a total joke of a character who is constantly failing upwards.

Okie dokie 🙂

Firstly, I quite liked the fallout show but It's not a fair comparison.

It doesn't even follow a storyline from any of the games, though it pays a heck tone of homage to the games and world building.

It's basically a unique story in the world of Fallout, with some extra backstory from the before times.

Like if they made a WoT show from the end of the AoL.

I'm not sure who runs the Prime video team, but they need work on pretty much all of their series.  Most of their sci-fi/fantasy series just aren't that good.  The Boyz is an exception because it is a purposely offensive show and is not trying to appeal to certain ideologies that seem to be pervasive in the TV space these days.  The most highly viewed shows on Amazon seem to be  masculine/testoserone fueled show like Jack Reacher/Jack Ryan/The Boyz.  Therefore wheel of time does not need to nerf all their male characters to get viewership.  

Wheel of time could really have used some more bombastic/over-the-top testosterone and humor to help create some more tension and emotional connection in the show.  Stop trying to pander to everyone and let it be ok to offend some people and stay a little more true to the books.  The first season whiffed on the men so hard that it is really tough to even get people back into the show.  Even season 2 has really messed up the plot arc of Lan, as he still is not built up to be the badass that he is. Hopefully season 3 can start letting the characters be themselves.  The only agenda should be the agenda of the books, and the entertainment of the viewers. 

On 5/9/2024 at 7:38 PM, Sabio said:

I'm curious on people's thoughts regarding Fallout.      

On my side I played the first Fallout game a long time ago, but I am not very into post-apocalyptic settings (I was very much more a Planescape Torment fan at the time). I enjoyed Fallout on Prime Video very much - it was very neatly done, with a great exposition (a lot of scenes about the society before the apocalypse, which is not done in the games as far as I know ?), and characters having very different POVs and stories. The tongue-in-cheek flavor of Bethesda games is well reproduced (from Fallout, but also Elder Scrolls series from Morrowind onward - I played all of them).

I have to say I'm enjoying a lot more than other Amazon shows such as WOT and the Ring of Power.  Ring of Power is ok, but I find it disappointing considering its huge budget. Something with that large of a budget should have a better story.

I agree - RoP may have lavish pictures, but the story is way too classic - moreoever, first season of RoP and WoT may have suffered by using exactly the same trope : we don't know who is Sauron/the Dragon and we have to guess... which may work for those who did not read the books, but not for us.

Both RoP and WoT try to enhance the exotic world feeling, by displaying strange customs - which may work sometimes (dwarven singing in the Moria) or not (ritual mourning of a Warder), but both are missing an humorous subtext and take their characters way too seriously. On the other hand, both series try for an epic - which is not the case for Fallout : not all series should have the same tone.

On 5/10/2024 at 11:38 PM, Mailman said:

Fallout can teach WoT nothing it is very poor despite some good acting from Goggins and Purnell.

Beyond stupid characters making dumb decisions and huge plot holes. Maximus is a total joke of a character who is constantly failing upwards.

Are there any shows you actually like? 

47 minutes ago, Elder_Haman said:

Are there any shows you actually like? 

Yes, although the quality has been very low in recent times. Far too much interference by studio heads into stories and some incredibly poor writing rooms is leading the industry down.

If you watch the video i posted its very hard to argue against anything in it. Personally i could only get through 3 episodes before i found Fallout unbearable.

1 minute ago, Mailman said:

Yes, although the quality has been very low in recent times. Far too much interference by studio heads into stories and some incredibly poor writing rooms is leading the industry down.

If you watch the video i posted its very hard to argue against anything in it. Personally i could only get through 3 episodes before i found Fallout unbearable.

What are some of your favorites?

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Elder_Haman said:

What are some of your favorites?

Firefly

Stargate and Stargate Atlantis

White Collar

Community

Modern Doctor Who (but only the first 4 to 6 seasons)

Arcane

Jekyll

Chuck

Sherlock

Person of Interest

The Newsroom

Justified (original series only)

Buffy

Edited by Mailman