DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

S1E4: The Dragon Reborn

SinisterDeath
Message added by SinisterDeath,

Reminder:

1. Discussion in this topic is limited to Episode 4.
  2. If your post is about the series, go to the Season 1 Discussion Topic.
  3. If your post doesn't fit in either topic, search the WoT TV show Forum for a similar Topic.
  4. If you cannot find a similar Topic, post a new one. If you are unsure, PM the moderators for help.
  5. If your post is Off-Topic, it will be moved or deleted without warning.
  6. Finally Be Respectful to each other.

I'm pretty invested in this current Mat. So I agree on the sadness of him having to leave. 

The whole farmhouse sequence was certainly interesting, over all. Thom's opinion on Mat. Those of us that KNOW what the significance of the dagger is. The subtle changes that we see but most may not of the darker choices Mat has made. 

I do like that we're seeing a more visual display of him being sick-sick.

Also, I want to point out the trivia for this episode that helps with some of my concerns..

• Madness: hearing voices is a common form of madness but it is expressed in all sorts of fun ways. I was worried they were streamlining compelling voices of destruction as we've seen so far, so that's nice to know.
  • The 5 powers: "brief" rundown of the five powers and how they make different... spells. Amusingly it notes how Earth and Air can be used to loosen mortar in building material so the bricks can be thrown. Honestly glad they are mentioning the five power breakdown .
  • Obviously an Ogier didn't write these.. "trivia's".

Very interested to see how this is shown moving forward..

7 hours ago, Mailman said:

For a show with such a big budget the size of the forces is very small, Aes Sedai camp seemingly only having warders and no other troops, Logains army seemingly only a couple of hundred troops at the most makes it feel very amateur.

This stuck out to me as well... perhaps all the magic CGI and final episodes are soaking all that budget up instead?

58 minutes ago, TheMountain said:
8 hours ago, Mailman said:

For a show with such a big budget the size of the forces is very small, Aes Sedai camp seemingly only having warders and no other troops, Logains army seemingly only a couple of hundred troops at the most makes it feel very amateur.

This stuck out to me as well... perhaps all the magic CGI and final episodes are soaking all that budget up instead?

Yeah.. but it is stated later in the books that an army a couple thousand was large, in comparison to the armies that were forming (Matt & Perrin for example). So a couple hundred makes sense to me at this stage in the game, like we're not talking about the blood snow here.

And I like that they tell us that K - the Captain General could take on an army by herself and than show Alanna take on "half" the army. Greens have always felt like artillery/ support to me and I felt this scene really did pay homage to how RJ tried expressing how the OP's use in battle feels like.. "Modern warfare". With Alanna's mortar strikes - not to be confused with the whining death of artillery (Blossoms of fire) and how crazy, desperate and frantic the battle was, especially from Nyn's perspective.

I think it was done well, though as always it could have been done better. ?

Edited by A Memory Of Why

8 hours ago, Harad the White said:

"His Dark Materials" was written 11 years after the WoT, so you are right that it feels derivative.

Sorry, I wasn't clear in my post.  I didn't feel the Gyptians were derivative of the Tinkers when reading the books; I felt the portrayal of the Tinkers on the TV show felt derivative of the Gyptians portrayal on the Dark Materials TV show.

Here's something I'm trying to understand. If Rand's plot is going to be the same with him as the one and only DR then why are so many of his notable moments being given to other characters or revealed well before they were in the books?

Take Logain, we see him hearing voices telling him to kill people and he claims these are former Dragons. That's a major aspect of Rand's character for over half the series and ties into one of the best moments in the series.

Logain ignores the voices and spares people so that they can join him, just like Rand does. He claims the voices have helped him learn how to channel, just like Lews Therin's voice helped Rand rediscover and understand weaves. Moiraine claims that the voices are just madness, just like it's eventually revealed that Lews Therin's voice was the way Rand's madness handled Lews Therin's memories.

Then you have Logain taking Rand's epiphany which is part of that big moment he has on Dragonmount. Nynaeve taking Rand's moment of being the blinding light that made Logain realize that there was someone more dangerous than him out there. Polyamory being presented as something that some Aes Sedai engage in openly (is Rand still going to have the same angst if polyamory is no longer something only Aiel engage in openly).

That's just from this episode and doesn't count examples from previous episodes. It does make me think that they must have some rather big changes planned for Rand.

Edited by AusLeviathan

7 hours ago, rowdie said:

I enjoyed the episode.   I'm not sure why they chose to deviate from the book so much?   ?  I absolutely love the special effects.   I wish they would incorporate a map somehow.  I don't believe it will have the success as G.O.T. or Lord of the Rings movies.  

What's wrong with Liandrans head?  Is that just how her face is really shaped or are they making it look ageless somehow.  

It’s the shape of the actresses face. It’s very off putting if I’m honest but not going to criticise someone for having their own face. 

So far it seems that every episode is stronger than the previous one. In fact, it might be because of name but the opening with Logain reminded me something from possibly Dragon Age (he,he) and the encampment of Aes Sedai was a great setting for both character driven and plot-driven storytelling.

Potential strength of the series to the future for me was really noticeable in the Tinkers scenes. These people aren´t some wonder of worldbuilding  but thanks to the acting  and dialogue, they feel... Real. 

I liked Rand/Mat/Thom part probably the least but the horror ending was definitely impressive. Some said Thom suffered by the later introduction but I don´t think so. IMHO he said enough to be memorable.  

9 hours ago, Sabio said:

Wonder why all of the focus of Logain and yet no mention at all of Taim since they were both declaring to be the Dragon Reborn around the same time.

Logain declares himself a full year before Taim. Taim only declares himself in the time between EotW and tGH I believe. Logain was also more succesful as a False Dragon than Taim.

Edited by MasterAblar

4 minutes ago, LoRd PyrO said:

Ok. Great show. Major deviations from the books. Trying to keep an open mind, but, dayum!! Where is Elyas, where is Bayle??!!! These are major characters!! Where is Min??!! 

No official info on Elyas and Bayle. Min is in Fal Dara and we'll see her in episodes 7&8 I guess.

1 minute ago, DaddyFinn said:

No official info on Elyas and Bayle. Min is in Fal Dara and we'll see her in episodes 7&8 I guess.

Min was in bearlon(SP), but that was totally passed by. There are so many changes I am trying to get a grip on the direction... Great show if you aren't a book nerd.....

On 11/25/2021 at 7:27 PM, CaddySedai said:

Running thoughts.

• I like Logain. Curious who his "madness memories" are. Considering in Ep 1 there is a clearly defined person.
  • Also kinda interesting that when "calling" the source it seems cleanish...but then when telling it what to do the taint just...slides over it like a sheath. Kinda neat interpretation. Leads men to maybe thinking... "THIS time it will not be t...oh no its still tainted. Oh wellz".
  • A shield weave...something new in appearance from the power we have seen before. Looks like a fish net. Love it. An actual "difference"
  • I like seeing a different Aes Sedai and Warder relationship.
  • Loving the talk about the Greens. Very much like peacetime soldiers spoke of the time before major global conflict. "I thought it was so heroic. The Battle Ajah, warriors trained to defend humanity from the Dark One at the Last Battle. But I never thought I'd see it myself."
  • Heeeeey, look at Rand being a leader. Attaboy! Use that bow knowledge my dude.
  • You are welcome around our fire, as long as you promise not to shove anyone into it. HA.
  • Mmmm, drill home that internal moral Axe conflict - bless the Tuatha'an. Advance that plot point like a boss ?
  • Best episodic pacing sofar. It's really slowed down. Much if not more happens here than other eps and does not feel too rushed.
  • tentacle vomit. Thats new. How on earth did Wheel of Time beat anime to that... lol.
  • Thom making a strong pump fake towards Mat this episode in regards to the DR with the story about Owen. I like this for explaining how gentling isn't some kind of mercy. Also...daaaaaaang. Steak knife. Gives Thom a reason to stay with them too. Was wondering how that was gonna go what with the revamp to how they met.
  • Great discussion moment of both what the Bonding is, and what Aes Sedai meant in the old tongue. The sexual innuendo. I get it but. Wow them Greens just come off dripping with it. Also I'm still one of the never bonded Greens at the Tower here. I'm too much of a pain in the ass lol.
  • Wooooah, for a second I thought Matt had gone full monster. Maybe he did what with tenty-vomit back in frame...but then he full on Glee posed against that Fade. Did he or didn't he...oh man...getting that Scooby Doo twitch. 
  • I would like AMAZON to partner with Coleman to make tents like the Greens and Reds have. I love those.
  • Nyn with the Old Tongue. Impress Lan a bit whydontcha
  • The arrow scene is cool now that I see the second half. Thanks Green Neo ?
  • Green Channeling is much more utilitarian. I like this.
  • Seeing a warder react to the loss of his Aes Sedai. Dang...I felt that pain.
  • Well...shit (the explosion)
  • Hard fake to Nyn as the DR now. Thats TWO pump fakes in the same episode. Further reinforcing the fact Rand will still be the DR. Why? Because they have yet to ever explicitly say he will be. Thom: its Mat. The AS in the camp: Its Nyn. Eg was hinted at early on. Really only Perrin and Rand have not been hinted at. Dem boys just Angry and Strong. Plus it Indicates Nyn is POWERFUL. Which - was never actually in question. But new viewers are gonna see this come to Jesus moment and be like... Oh Em Gee..its her huh!?
  • Gentling...hooooly heck.

Curious how it will play out considering logain held the madness at bay long enough to begin training Ashamen