DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

S1E4: The Dragon Reborn

SinisterDeath
Message added by SinisterDeath,

Reminder:

1. Discussion in this topic is limited to Episode 4.
  2. If your post is about the series, go to the Season 1 Discussion Topic.
  3. If your post doesn't fit in either topic, search the WoT TV show Forum for a similar Topic.
  4. If you cannot find a similar Topic, post a new one. If you are unsure, PM the moderators for help.
  5. If your post is Off-Topic, it will be moved or deleted without warning.
  6. Finally Be Respectful to each other.

1 minute ago, Agitel said:

I did wonder if Logain was hearing the whispers of Forsaken rather than other lives. But there's very little to go on.

The X-ray said it was "Elusha Salid." Unlikely, imho, to be the whispers of other lives, when named specifically and incarnated. Also as posted earlier, that is what Lanfear (under various names) does in the book. Why they chose another name is curious. Salidar is a prominent smallish city in the Book.

3 hours ago, Maximillion said:

Just finishing watching the episode.

I really didn't think Rafe could destroy Robert Jordans story any more than he had, but he did.

An absolute insult to the entire works that have gained so much following over 30+ years.

In shock about how bad that was.

It's now a 'whodunnit' show with stupid pointers as to who it is or it is not being fed to the audience as pretty much the ONLY storyline in the whole sorry production - oh, except for the Ultimate Super Hero Nynaeve.

The ideas are terrible, the writing is terrible.  Shambles.  Made entirely for the Twitterati.

The whole series is so rushed and again the dialogue really hard to hear/understand. It really does need subtitles.  I don't think I have heard sound this bad on high budget show before.

The decision to leave Thom out of the start showed badly in this episode - we hardly got to know him before his Fade fight that separates him from Rand and Mat - it's like 'meh, minor character moment' in the TV series, vs something much more in the books.

The amount of channelling effects in that episode was way too much - it just felt so overdone and cheap. 

Lan again proving to be utterly useless without the great warrior princess all round super hero Nynaeve to save his ass.  There's only room for one super badass, as Twitter would put it, in this show.  

Morraine has been turned into a weak moron too... wholly reliant on Nynaeve (as is everyone else to be honest). 

Logain?  Not sure what the point even was of his extended face time in the show - other than misdirection that lasted one episode.  Such lazy writing. 

I did laugh when Lan said that Logain was not 20 and Morraine was confused... it's like all her 20 years of study had been for sh*t. Oh hang on, the Aes Sedai with the 'white eyes' who could 'see clearly' was a crazy old bat after all. ?  It could be Logain .. oh and it could be Nynaeve again... or maybe it is isn't.  

For those who think the DR is definitely Rand - think again.  I would put NOTHING past this show now.  They could bring Arya Stark into the show to kill the Dark One and it wouldn't surprise me.

It's not getting any better - after 6 episodes we already know that the DR will not be revealed so write off the entire first season with this nonsense - playing on 'who is the DR' instead of actually telling a story.  At this stage ANY story would be good let alone one that actually tells Robert Jordan's story.

Show has gone from a 6/10 for me to a 3/10.

I totally get your frustration. And the one only reason I can tolerate it is that I’ve been assured this “mystery” will be resolved this season. I’m going to stick with it because there are good things here. The dialogue got a lot better, in my opinion, this latest episode. The stuff they’ve added so far has ranged from great (Logain) to not great (well lots of stuff). 

6 minutes ago, Harad the White said:

But seriously, the lack of response is making me think that the Elusha character was in a special version of the episode only on my Amazon. Don't you think a character trying to influence Logain to evil could be important?

Nah, I saw the two figures speaking to him but I think it's just madness

2 hours ago, Agitel said:

In the books Logain is only a tad weaker than Rand. Nynaeve is stronger than any Aes Sedai in 1000 years or so, and she's definitely strong, but she's outstripped by Logain, Taim, a bunch of the Forsaken (women included), some liberated damane, and more. There is a significant gap between Rand and her.

This isn't a criticism of the show if it's changing the power rankings. I'm just commenting on where she stands in the books.

This is not true. This is the way you want it to be, but it's not lol. in the books only rand is more more powerful and that's because her block and he still not better than her at healing.

1 minute ago, Harad the White said:

The X-ray said it was "Elusha Salid." Unlikely, imho, to be the whispers of other lives, when named specifically and incarnated. Also as posted earlier, that is what Lanfear (under various names) does in the book. Why they chose another name is curious. Salidar is a prominent smallish city in the Book.

I think Selene would have been too obvious for book readers if it is Lanfear, so they may have went for some misdirection.

3 minutes ago, Agitel said:

What @Maximillion says about RT is correct. It had been at 67 and 68 for awhile, climbed up to 73% a a few days ago, then dropped to 72% a few days ago. All before Ep4 dropped.

The ratings could actually drop given the latest audience reviews - 18 have been published since the 4th episode aired.  8 of them have absolutely panned the show, and 10 have been very positive.

7 minutes ago, comicbooksarethebestthing said:

This is not true. This is the way you want it to be, but it's not lol. in the books only rand is more more powerful and that's because her block and he still not better than her at healing.

I can't tell if you're trolling. Alivia (freed damane) is much stronger than Nynaeve. Nynaeve is nine tiers beneath Rand's strength. I can link you to a wiki, but the books themselves are clear Nynaeve is not "just below Rand."

https://wot.fandom.com/wiki/One_Power

Edited by Agitel

1 minute ago, comicbooksarethebestthing said:

Considering how he effortlessly he nailed Egwene and Elayne with shields even as they were channelling, keeping them motionless while he wove separate threads to do other things, like putting out a fire and making a table walk, I think you're underestimating Rand in the books.

Yeah as the Chosen Mesaana representative on this thread I have to say ... Nyn wasn't as powerful as me and I'm one of the weaker Chosen lol. But only in the OP, Im way smarter and cooler than those other losers :P.

And as this threads Cadsuane representative I need to clarify that she's JUST a bit above me without my Paralis-net. With it I can go toe to toe with many at the top tier of male power :).

5 minutes ago, Maximillion said:

The ratings could actually drop given the latest audience reviews - 18 have been published since the 4th episode aired.  8 of them have absolutely panned the show, and 10 have been very positive.

It is unlikely that the ratings will change much. 

We have seen half of the season. It is unlikely that the other half will have diferent strengths/weaknesses that the season so far.

At most the second season will be done diferently but I have my doubts.

12 minutes ago, Harad the White said:

Perhaps it's not Lanfear, but the "spider" Moghedien.

258?cb=20100322232925

Just now, divica said:

It is unlikely that the ratings will change much. 

We have seen half of the season. It is unlikely that the other half will have diferent strengths/weaknesses that the season so far.

At most the second season will be done diferently but I have my doubts.

Maybe, but I have never left a review in my life - until today.  I was disappointed by the first 3 episodes but not enough to take the time to post a review.  The 4th episode changed that - I posted a review because I am actually offended by how bad I thought it was. 

Just now, Maximillion said:

Maybe, but I have never left a review in my life - until today.  I was disappointed by the first 3 episodes but not enough to take the time to post a review.  The 4th episode changed that - I posted a review because I am actually offended by how bad I thought it was. 

That right there is why I said in another thread ep 4 pretty much gets rid of the middle. We either love or hate it. ?

5 minutes ago, CaddySedai said:

Yeah as the Chosen Mesaana representative on this thread I have to say ... Nyn wasn't as powerful as me and I'm one of the weaker Chosen lol. But only in the OP, Im way smarter and cooler than those other losers :P.

And as this threads Cadsuane representative I need to clarify that she's JUST a bit above me without my Paralis-net. With it I can go toe to toe with many at the top tier of male power :).

Props to the Paralis-net mention.   That's always been one of my favorite "small things" from the books. ?

Something, I 100% want to see in the show.

Episode 5 theory:

In the books, there is a scene after Shadar Logoth where Moiraine explains channeling sickness to Nynaeve that is used to foreshadow to the reader when they see Rand getting sick (and there's Mat dagger sickness thrown in there too, a little like show throwing sus that way). Now, Rand channeled in episode 3 and then Nynaeve had her big moment in ep. 4. I'm thinking they could show Nynaeve having channeling sickness in ep. 5 and also show Rand being sick too as a foreshadowing? Now that they already showed Mat being sick and Thoms suspicion in ep. 4.

Edited by Dreamwalker
Typo

2 minutes ago, Maximillion said:

Think you are right.

For the people who enjoy it, I hope there is enough for them to continue enjoying it for many seasons.

Eh that really depends on the writers.. I enjoyed it quite a bit. But...if GoT proved anything you can have many seasons of joy and then rip the heart out near the end. LMAO

Edited by CaddySedai

13 hours ago, FloydPepper said:

E4: how did they know they could gentle Logain without 13 Aes Sedai there?  Totally OK with them abandoning that dumb rule altogether, but at this point in the books, didn't they still think 13 was necessary?

Seems this could be an issue come LoC. It’s why Rand flees from Camelyn and right into the arms of the tower Aes Sedai in Cairhein. And a paranoid plot point for Rand during the first several books. But otherwise yeah I’m good with them getting rid of the circle of 13 rule.

13 minutes ago, Agitel said:

I can't tell if you're trolling. Alivia (freed damane) is much stronger than Nynaeve. Nynaeve is nine tiers beneath Rand's strength. I can link you to a wiki, but the books themselves are clear Nynaeve is not "just below Rand."

https://wot.fandom.com/wiki/One_Power

No. it's clearly said in the books. Only her block is holding her back from being way more powerful than most,  yet even than we never saw her at full power even at the end of the books. All rankings are off even Robert jordan's. We can only go by what is said and the feats in the books.  Her feats are top 5 in the books and we never saw her at 100% power. We saw more of Rands true power than hers .You just don't like that Nynaeve is more powerful than your favs so i'm trolling? Sadly for you, I'm not. It's all in the books

I'm confused by what's being said of a Circle of Thirteen rule. People can be severed from the source by a single channeler. You don't need thirteen. It may just be Tower custom.

The thing about a circle of thirteen is that a linked circle of thirteen of even the weakest women can't fail to shield another channeler.