DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

S1E4: The Dragon Reborn

SinisterDeath
Message added by SinisterDeath,

Reminder:

1. Discussion in this topic is limited to Episode 4.
  2. If your post is about the series, go to the Season 1 Discussion Topic.
  3. If your post doesn't fit in either topic, search the WoT TV show Forum for a similar Topic.
  4. If you cannot find a similar Topic, post a new one. If you are unsure, PM the moderators for help.
  5. If your post is Off-Topic, it will be moved or deleted without warning.
  6. Finally Be Respectful to each other.

3 minutes ago, Maximillion said:

Except it didn't when Moiraine healed Tam.

According to the show's timeline, Moiraine's had that wound for nearly a month. Plus, Moiraine is on the level of strongest Aes Sedai in the Tower. And some Aes Sedai have more talent for healing than others.

There's lots of things to nitpick on, whether we think they're a big deal or not. But there's nothing to nitpick with Moiraine's scar.

1 minute ago, divica said:

Because if you want to create a good series you have to make it belivable. 

One off shows of power should not be considered breaking to this. Also we have the benefit of seeing the Power as a viewer. I would love to get a rewatch of the scene where the CGI is removed and its literally a woman yelling in grief. And then all these mortally wounded people stand back up. Several of them make a hand gesture. A jesus looking fellow lifts mysteriously into the air, screams, then falls over crying

Not terribly impressive now. lol

4 minutes ago, divica said:

I agree that rand does pretty unbelivable things at the end of the books. 

The problem is should an adaptation try to make that final battle in the eye of the world more belivable or create even more unbelieving shit along the series?

Because if you want to create a good series you have to make it belivable. 

I agree. But I think you're approaching the scene as a book-reader rather then let the show breathe a bit to establish its rules.

Just now, Apsalar said:

Was not a fan of the first three episodes Saw this, and to my great surprise: I really, relly liked it. It had nice depth and the worldbuilding to me felt richer. Acting was good. Hoping the rest of the season follow suit. 

Hooray. glad you found joy in it. That’s my hope eventually for all fans new and old. 

1 minute ago, CaddySedai said:

One off shows of power should not be considered breaking to this. Also we have the benefit of seeing the Power as a viewer. I would love to get a rewatch of the scene where the CGI is removed and its literally a woman yelling in grief. And then all these mortally wounded people stand back up. Several of them make a hand gesture. A jesus looking fellow lifts mysteriously into the air, screams, then falls over crying

Not terribly impressive now. lol

I think that would have been a much better scene because the big problem is over the top shiny cgi.

1 minute ago, Gothic Flame said:

It just needs to follow a consistent logic with the internal system presented. And to me, it's been hit or miss; with more misses that hits.

By belivable I mean the audience has to believe that what we are seeing makes sense in the universe of the series.

The problem with the portrayal of Nynaeve is that they have elevated her above everyone else in the story by a very large margin.  It's not just that she is Superwoman with no flaws at all, the TV adaption has diminished every other character.  It was clearly by design to have Nynaeve elevated to the headline grabbing 'badass' that would create a buzz on Twitter, etc. It's meme time.

Meanwhile the others:

Rand is an idiot and coward.

Mat is a thief and idiot - the 'come on then, lets be having you' with the Fade was hilarious

Perrin killed his wife and seems to be completely oblivious to simple life lessons - having to be taught that violence is not that great

Logain is in awe of a Nynaeve when he's supposed to be actually more powerful than her

Morraine is a walking disaster scene that can't get anything right

Lan is an idiot who couldn't protect a kitten and can't even hear someone sneaking up on him - can this fool do anything right???  Apparently he can't even ride a horse without making an idiot of himself.  Perhaps Nynaeve can teach him.

Thom is just, well, whatever - a minor character

Egwene - well I don't know what she is supposed to be. I know she is boring though in the TV show. 

It's the Nynaeve show with a supporting cast - incredibly formulaic like a Marvel movie.

That with the incredibly tired story line of 'who is the Dragon' running as the back story with over engineered and clumsy attempts to keep the audience guessing.

The greatness of WoT was the incredible character building, warts and all, across many characters.  It's so badly diminished by making every character other than Nynaeve as support in the show to showcase her magnificence.

Edited by Maximillion

Just now, divica said:

I think that would have been a much better scene because the big problem is over the top shiny cgi.

See I think that is a matter of preference. 

I have always been one for huge set pieces. Whether it be Nyn’s thing. DBZ power building (ie screaming at eachother). Tyrael fighting Ba’al. Ryu’s attack. The lightspeed impact scene in the star wars sequel trilogy (which broke all kinds of established rules on how JTL works in Star Wars but was a damn cool scene in its own right. )

1 minute ago, CaddySedai said:

See I think that is a matter of preference. 

I have always been one for huge set pieces. Whether it be Nyn’s thing. DBZ power building (ie screaming at eachother). Tyrael fighting Ba’al. Ryu’s attack. The lightspeed impact scene in the star wars sequel trilogy (which broke all kinds of established rules on how JTL works in Star Wars but was a damn cool scene in its own right. )

It isn't exactly that.

Without the shiny cgi this could have been a scene with nyn healing people without making it look like a great feat of power that makes logain think she is much more powerfull than him.

What is nice though is early results are coming in and even on aggregators like Rotten Tomatoes the percentages are going up fast. 

Was in the mid 60s among critics and now tracks at 72. Thats brilliant after just one new episode. 

Amazon seems pleased with early numbers and that ultimately will decide the fate of the series.

Edited by CaddySedai
i can do numbers.

6 minutes ago, Harad the White said:

The next thing you read is a theory. When Logain is confronting the King of Ghealdan, Elusha Salid whispers sweet nothings in his ear. This is Lanfear, according to a theory, which is mine. Similarly the "old man" running with the first FD in the series is a strong channeler in a different form.

You are really trying to force that theory ?

Best episode, but did have a couple of weak points,  Nyn's super healing seemed a bit much and the Aes Sedai seemed pretty  incomptent at holding a man who can channel.  Don't really like what they are doing with Moiraine so far, she spends most of the previous episodes near death doing nothing now she aids in breaking tower law.  

I liked the hinting maybe Mat can channel.  The pacing was alot better but there does seem to be a lack of OMG we need to find the others so far.  Sure that will pick up, but they seem rather chill about it so far.

I also have to agree with others the total lack of trying to make Rand stick out sort of makes him really stick out for being the dragon.

Edited by Sabio

9 minutes ago, CaddySedai said:

What is nice though is early results are coming in and even on aggregators like Rotten Tomatoes the percentages are going up fast. 

Was in the mid 60s among critics and now tracks at 72. Thats brilliant after just one new episode. 

Amazon seems pleased with early numbers and that ultimately will decide the fate of the series.

No they are not.

RT is at the same percentage - actually it may have dropped 1%.

The reviews in the last few hours are worse than they were before - higher percentage of negative reviews than we were seeing earlier in the week.

It was also not in the mid 60's with RT critics - it was 72 yesterday.

The 7.4 rating on IMDB has not moved this week.

3 minutes ago, Harad the White said:

And it's mine.

But seriously, the lack of response is making me think that the Elusha character was in a special version of the episode only on my Amazon. Don't you think a character trying to influence Logain to evil could be important?

I did wonder if Logain was hearing the whispers of Forsaken rather than other lives. But there's very little to go on.

Also, I want Ba'alzamon to talk and not just be creepy fire mouth guy.