DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Harry Potter Week - Dumbledore's Army Mafia Game Thread [GAME OVER-MAFIA WINS]

Adella

*high fives Ben*

The most confusing explanations to me so far have come from Daruya. The only part I get and agree with is that the snitch is not from Slytherin.

Devil's Advocate I get what you are saying about Slytherin having some good peeps, but it seems far more likely in this game that we won't find any good Slytherins.

• Replies 833
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, Daruya's early waffle between yeah, let's start in Slytherin, and no, let's not, which was precipitated by Oops, wrong thread! really has me concerned about her, but to be honest, I'm grasping at D1 straws because there's not much there otherwise. Most haven't posted enough or at all in order to influence me one way or the other. I'm just running on my gut with all of them, and none of them are coming up strongly town or wolf even at the gut level.

Sorry, getting my threads mixed up! LOL! 

I need to re-think this. I don't think Slytherin is the way to go. Will be back in a few to post why.

Which threads? The game thread and the Mafia QT? 

[v]Daruya[/v]

No, the Troll Hunt which is another HP Week event.

There appear to be Trolls all over the place this week!

On that note. I am going to be for real. I will catch up tomorrow from work. 

Goodnight!

Hello everyone~ I wasn't expecting such an interesting game format, so I may not end up doing too much on this first day as I'm still getting used to it.

Having said that, I'm afraid I have to disagree with the Slytherin hate. We don't know for sure that there aren't any Slytherins on our side. It seems much more plausible to me that there would be an even mix of players from all houses for the sake of fairness.

Besides, who says Slytherins have to be evil? Slytherins are about cunning, they pick the option that is most likely to lead to their own success. Surely, then, is it not the fault of society that so many Slytherins find that the easiest path to success is that of evil?

Sure, many of the Slytherin pure bloods are heavily prejudiced and treat us poorly - but then what does that make us, if we are equally willing to judge all Slytherins poorly just for the fact that they are Slytherins...? Doesn't that make us just as bad as them?

I don't support prejudice from either side. We're all people, and we shouldn't let the colour of anyone's house affect how we treat anyone as a person.

TLDR: Hating on Slytherin house is dumb, because then you're doing the exact same thing you're accusing them of doing. Judge by person, not by group.

Therefore, I will not be voting for Daruya just because they chose to open the Slytherin door first. Anyone else could have opened another door at any time, since we have enough players to open every door - so the order we open the doors in really doesn't matter.

I think Daruya's point here is that according to canon, there were no Slytherins in the DA. That doesn't mean there can't be some in this game, although I think it would be... unusual, honestly. 

I too, am incredibly rusty at mafia, I played like, 2 games 7 years ago. I'm also not incredibly active and I prefer to read more than post, so... yah, that's that. 

Let's see, also, can I Cast Spell Name: Alohomora on the Hufflepuff chest, the large one, I think? 

I don't see anything here yet to merit a vote, but I'll keep my eyes open!

But the troll hunt has nothing to do with looking for mafia or opening doors. 

Let me try to explain this more clearly . . . I got the two games mixed up because I had just read that thread before coming to this one! 

The mafia game is not a troll hunt. Yes, there are trolls but the theme of the game is not who released the troll, like it is with the Troll Hunt Game. The mafia game is about Dumbeldore's Army and who betrayed us. 

Let's find the scum who betrayed us and the scum who forced him/her to do it. Deliberately misconstruing what was said will not help us achieve that goal.

I'm going to post a recap in a moment. Stay tuned.

*saunters in and shoves his wand in Shad's mouth and shouts "BOMBAROONIO!" but nothing happened*

Huh

*shuffles up close to Elgee where no one can see where he puts his wand and shouts "VIBRATANIO!" but again nothing happened besides a slight whimper from Elgee*

This thing is useless. 

*looks down to the key stone and points his wand at it, shouting "Wingardium Leviosa" as loud as he can*

Ayyyyyy [v]Charis[/v]

We were plunged into a lost extension of the RoR but it was very dark.

Daruya cast LUMOS to light the path, revealing 4 doors (one from each House).

Zepp opened the Slytherin door using ALOHAMORA and voted Turin.

The Slytherin door opened revealing a cavern. On the right, a great pool of water with a small chest at the far end. On the left an angry troll.

Ben casts CONFUNDO at the troll and the troll lumbers away to a corner.

There’s an endless magical explosion now barring our path.

Dice appears and claims town and casts FINITE INCANTATUM which stops the explosions but also unconfunds the troll.

Darthe casts WINGARDIUM LEVIOSA. The troll levitates and drops off a bridge.

Rhea casts ALOHAMORA at the small chest and it opens but it’s still at the far side of the pool.

Zepp takes exceptions with Daruya’s choice of words; unvotes Turin and votes Daruya.

Daruya rebuts because words are just words. Recruit, blackmail, threats . . . regardless, Toad Face now knows about us because of the snitch.

Lessa asks about possibility of Polyjuice potion being used to disguise an Inquisitorial Squad member as a DA member (namely, the snitch).

Daruya agrees it’s possible. Daruya also says that Zepp may have opened Slytherin’s door because they are usually scum but it’s also possible he chose it to throw us off the snitch. Daruya suggested she may have selected Ravenclaw first because Hufflepuffs are unfailingly loyal, thereby less suspicious.

Zepp claims to have chosen Slytherin on a whim.

Lessa opens a large chest (where was this chest again?) using ALOHAMORA and gets the contents.

Turin uses ACCIO to obtain contents of small chest and votes Zepp.

Dice says that Daruya doesn’t want us scum hunting and votes Daruya because he says the Squad would most likely be Slytherin.

Daruya agrees that the Squad are most likely Slytherins but there is a traitor that isn’t because there are no Slytherin DA members. (DA members would KNOW this, by the way). Daruya is watching Zepp and Dice but isn’t going to OMGUS vote.

Darth votes Daruya without any reasoning. Turin asks why.

DJ uses Alohamora to open the Hufflepuff door. Inside is a small locked chest. Beyond it is a great pit. At the bottom is a keystone and slot for it in the rock wall.

Lessa asks Darth why he likes the Daruya vote and peers into the pit.

Devil’s Advocate expounds upon why it’s wrong to hate on Slytherin and says he won’t for Daruya because she chose to open the Slytherin door. He then uses Alohamora to open the Hufflepuff chest and receives its contents.

DJ agrees with DA to not judge based on house.

A couple people explain that Daruya isn’t the one who opened the Slytherin door.

Ben votes Daruya because he thinks the other thread she was talking about was the QT thread. (Aside: Has he even looked at the other HP Week events? For example, the Troll Hunt thread?)

DA says Daruya’s posts have been a bit confusing but isn’t lynch-worthy yet.

Various discussions about the game.

Rhea says she understands and agrees with Daruya about the snitch.

Ben says his vote for Daruya is grasping at D1 straws.

Charis says she doesn’t see anything yet to merit a vote.

Daruya explains what the confusion was between the two games (Troll Hunt vs Mafia). 

Does that about cover it?

Let's see, also, can I Cast Spell Name: Alohomora on the Hufflepuff chest, the large one, I think?

Invalid, you can still use a spell today.

(The small Hufflepuff chest was already opened and there was no reference to a large Hufflepuff chest yet at this time.)

*looks down to the key stone and points his wand at it, shouting "Wingardium Leviosa" as loud as he can*

Success!

9RKwFdG.jpg

A portion of the floor at the bottom of the pit slides away to reveal a large chest.  It is too far away to reach by hand, but well within sight.

People like to make assumptions - I find it's better to address things like this sooner rather than later, especially since a lot of mistakes tend to happen D1 in mafia. If we have a town-sided Slytherin PR, it would be such a waste if they were anxious about being Slytherin and got themselves lynched as a result.

i disagree. im probably gaming the mod here but bear with me.

in the canon there are NO slytherins in the DA and this game IS called Dumbledores Army.

The scum have safe claims this leads me to believe they are names we knoiw and names we would automatically lynch. 

I've never played this game format, and I'm very rusty to say the least. And even though it's been a year I'm still so leery of Dice! LOL I will try to put my past experience aside for this. 

Zep has explained his choice of doors pretty well and I get the thought process of both Zep and Daruya, but it still looks a bit odd to pick Slytherin right out of the gate. Just sayin. 

Can anyone move the keystone at the bottom of the pit?

Hey! I was just doing my job!

But the troll hunt has nothing to do with looking for mafia or opening doors.

Let me try to explain this more clearly . . . I got the two games mixed up because I had just read that thread before coming to this one!

The mafia game is not a troll hunt. Yes, there are trolls but the theme of the game is not who released the troll, like it is with the Troll Hunt Game. The mafia game is about Dumbeldore's Army and who betrayed us.

Let's find the scum who betrayed us and the scum who forced him/her to do it. Deliberately misconstruing what was said will not help us achieve that goal.

I'm going to post a recap in a moment. Stay tuned.

I have deliberately misconstrued nothing.

The Slytherin door opened revealing a cavern. On the right, a great pool of water with a small chest at the far end. On the left an angry troll.

Dice appears and claims town and casts FINITE INCANTATUM which stops the explosions but also unconfunds the troll.

Rhea casts ALOHAMORA at the small chest and it opens but it’s still at the far side of the pool.

Zepp takes exceptions with Daruya’s choice of words; unvotes Turin and votes Daruya.

Daruya rebuts because words are just words. Recruit, blackmail, threats . . . regardless, Toad Face now knows about us because of the snitch.

Lessa asks about possibility of Polyjuice potion being used to disguise an Inquisitorial Squad member as a DA member (namely, the snitch).

Daruya agrees it’s possible. Daruya also says that Zepp may have opened Slytherin’s door because they are usually scum but it’s also possible he chose it to throw us off the snitch. Daruya suggested she may have selected Ravenclaw first because Hufflepuffs are unfailingly loyal, thereby less suspicious.

Lessa opens a large chest (where was this chest again?) using ALOHAMORA and gets the contents.

Dice says that Daruya doesn’t want us scum hunting and votes Daruya because he says the Squad would most likely be Slytherin.

Daruya agrees that the Squad are most likely Slytherins but there is a traitor that isn’t because there are no Slytherin DA members. (DA members would KNOW this, by the way). Daruya is watching Zepp and Dice but isn’t going to OMGUS vote.

DJ uses Alohamora to open the Hufflepuff door. Inside is a small locked chest. Beyond it is a great pit. At the bottom is a keystone and slot for it in the rock wall.

Devil’s Advocate expounds upon why it’s wrong to hate on Slytherin and says he won’t for Daruya because she chose to open the Slytherin door. He then uses Alohamora to open the Hufflepuff chest and receives its contents.

A couple people explain that Daruya isn’t the one who opened the Slytherin door.

Ben votes Daruya because he thinks the other thread she was talking about was the QT thread. (Aside: Has he even looked at the other HP Week events? For example, the Troll Hunt thread?)

Daruya explains what the confusion was between the two games (Troll Hunt vs Mafia).

As an aside, I really struck a nerve there, didn't I? Are you feeling guilty or something? It is easy enough to look through my recent posts on my bio or the other threads themselves and see that I've posted in several of them, not that it would matter if I hadn't, and if and when I find a troll, I'll post in the trill hunting thread too, which again, is not similar to this thread. Straw or not, you are the only one reading wolf to me right now.

Yeah, there's not much to go on yet.

said pretty much every mafioso voting a townie on D1.
And that's actually a legitimate concern. So far, I think I'm the only one who has laid out any reasoning behind my vote, and Darthe was even asked about it straight up. It is easy for wolves to pounce on a townie getting a bad rap, and I don't want to make the game any easier for them. I want to see some more reasoning or I will unvote before deadline.

People like to make assumptions - I find it's better to address things like this sooner rather than later, especially since a lot of mistakes tend to happen D1 in mafia. If we have a town-sided Slytherin PR, it would be such a waste if they were anxious about being Slytherin and got themselves lynched as a result.

i disagree. im probably gaming the mod here but bear with me.

in the canon there are NO slytherins in the DA and this game IS called Dumbledores Army.

The scum have safe claims this leads me to believe they are names we knoiw and names we would automatically lynch.

Dice, your not making sense here. The mafia have safe claims. I expect those safes will include at least one "major" character and That all the safes will be recognisable. So they could care less about having to claim a character name. They would probably even be willing to hint/breadcrumb one to start with.

That said I don't like devil implying that a PR from slytherin is a possibility. The MOD stated that the game is vanilla. We now know that there are gifts available to earn. There are NO inherent power roles that I can see.