DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The 'No More RAFO' Thread--Existing Questions

Luckers

How would the Dragon going over to the Shadow result in a draw?

Why not just kill Rand from day 1?

What was Demandred balefiring and why?

1. In the final confrontation, Rand realizes the Dark One can't win as long as the human race doesn't break or give up. Even if the Dragon goes to the shadow, as long as people don't give up, he can't win.

2. Turning Rand would probably make answer 1 easier than killing him. That and Rand has the pattern protecting him. There's plenty of times they tried to kill Rand and failed.

3. Why? Because the Dark One told him to in LoC. Further explaination, there's a line during the Last Battle when Demandred is telling people to keep balefiring anything and everything, because the pattern must be unravelled before it can be remade.

I think there is one main reason the DO wants Rand turned.  As Rand said in the last book the DO wanted to destory hope, mans will to fight.  What would be a bigger way to destroy hope then turn Rand and hold him up as the shadows champion?  I think this is why the DO was so eager to turn Rand to the shadow.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who was that crazy Aiel person Avi met in the waste?  Was that the same old lady Rand sees right at the end?  Don't have a quote on this part but it was very odd, he sees the old lady and then like fades to black or something.

Yup, it's gotta be the same person; the general consensus seems to be that it's the Creator's avatar.

1) There were an awful lot of ter'angreal, s'angreal, and angreal in Moridin's "house" back in Caemlyn that we never got to see the true purpose of. 

2) Since Gaidan was never shown with the others when the horn was blown, I can only assume that means he must already be in the real world. So does this make Olver likely to be him?

3) Why is it all the other countries have very similar things, with even the Seafolk barely having any different items, but the Seanchan have the craziest creatures ever? The hell happened over there?

4) Just who IS Mat? I mean in this life, he's Mat, and he's not a hero of the horn, but are his memories all from different random people? Or is it just one person who's been spit out by the pattern again and again?

5) Why was Birgitte the only hero we ever saw just chilling in the dreamworld? I know that she was "breaking the rules" by interfering at all, but with the prevelance of all the wolves and Perrin spending so much time there, you'd think SOMEONE would run into another of the heros. 

6) Is Stephen Hawking's string theory confirmed by the threads Rand pulls together from the pattern to show possibilities? This seems like a big IRL spoiler.

1) There were an awful lot of ter'angreal, s'angreal, and angreal in Moridin's "house" back in Caemlyn that we never got to see the true purpose of. 

2) Since Gaidan was never shown with the others when the horn was blown, I can only assume that means he must already be in the real world. So does this make Olver likely to be him?

3) Why is it all the other countries have very similar things, with even the Seafolk barely having any different items, but the Seanchan have the craziest creatures ever? The hell happened over there?

4) Just who IS Mat? I mean in this life, he's Mat, and he's not a hero of the horn, but are his memories all from different random people? Or is it just one person who's been spit out by the pattern again and again?

5) Why was Birgitte the only hero we ever saw just chilling in the dreamworld? I know that she was "breaking the rules" by interfering at all, but with the prevelance of all the wolves and Perrin spending so much time there, you'd think SOMEONE would run into another of the heros. 

6) Is Stephen Hawking's string theory confirmed by the threads Rand pulls together from the pattern to show possibilities? This seems like a big IRL spoiler.

1) Um, that's not a question.

2) He's spun out, yes. But he is NOT Olver. Gaidal is 1-2 years old.

3) Those creatures are brought from the If Worlds by Portal Stones. They were used to eradicate the Shadowspawn in the Blight in Seanchan continent which is why Seanchan people don't believe Shadowspawn exist. They became just myth over time.

4) Mat's memories are from multiple people who went to Sindhol between Trollocs War and Hawkwing's Empire. Eelfinn dumped hundreds of people's memories into Mat's mind.

5) Simple. They don't want to be seen so they are not seen. Gaidal made a brief appearance before he was spun out in tFoH, I think.

That 5) seems unlikely. The other answers, fine, but plenty of others in the wolf dream have "not wanted to be seen" but still were. What I REALLY don't get though is... why CAN'T they help in that world? It's not the real world, and I'm not saying they should just go assassinate Moridin or something, but surely one of them could've helped Perrin out at some point.

On another note, what was Birgitte's "punishment" for not following those rules? And no, being ripped out of the dream doesn't count, since Moggy did that.

Gaidal is reincarnated as Jur Grady's son. The timing works out (baby in LoC) and Jur said that he was unusually ugly. 

I'm pretty sure Grady's son is also too old by a couple of years. It gives their ages at some point.

Gaidal is reincarnated as Jur Grady's son. The timing works out (baby in LoC) and Jur said that he was unusually ugly. 

I'm pretty sure Grady's son is also too old by a couple of years. It gives their ages at some point.

grady son was like 5 in LoC

Thanks, and Gaidal would be two at most by the end of the series.

Thanks, and Gaidal would be two at most by the end of the series.

now that is a little trickier,  because we see him in TAR in, what shadow rising?  i think he is 1 at most, because the last few books really dont take up that much time at all.

That 5) seems unlikely. The other answers, fine, but plenty of others in the wolf dream have "not wanted to be seen" but still were. What I REALLY don't get though is... why CAN'T they help in that world? It's not the real world, and I'm not saying they should just go assassinate Moridin or something, but surely one of them could've helped Perrin out at some point.

On another note, what was Birgitte's "punishment" for not following those rules? And no, being ripped out of the dream doesn't count, since Moggy did that.

Maybe they couldn't help because when they get killed in TAR, like wolves, their end is definite?

strange, when Grady was discussing him with Perrin I got the impression that he was very young. i.e months not years old

What was the True purpose for the Eye?

I don't think the Eye ever actually had a purpose per say in the end goal of the series. RJ wrote the first book not necessarily knowing if he would follow it up, and then wrote as if the WoT would be a trilogy. The Eye was a great plot device for the first book, and a convenient place for Rand to find the horn, Dragon Banner, etc. Just my opinion here, but it seems the most likely to me.

The circumstances that surround Verin joining the Black Ajah were RAFO'd by Maria in an interview @ 13th depository. It acutally has a lot of information in it that would be great to have. http://13depository.blogspot.com/2011/03/verin-q-with-maria-simmons.html

Well based on what we know of Verin, the way I look at it is she was likely looking into the Black Ajah, Aes Sedai don't like to think they exist, but knowledge is important to Browns. She ends up being noticed by the Black Ajah (maybe eavesdropping on a meeting?) and has the quick choice to be killed or join them. I'm inclined to believe her claim that she did it for academic purposes, because she ended up helping the Light before she died.

What about the question the Sea Folk lady was suppose to ask Rand?  He asked her what they did with male channelers and said she would ask him his question later.....

Also, what was the point of Padan Fain.  Biggest let down in a book ever.  I really thought he would end up doing something but that was foolish

I'd bet they put them on the Isle of Madmen. Based on Robert Jordan's writing style, I doubt he would write that in (albeit mentioned passively throughout the series) and not have an intended use for it (see Shara). I believe it was confirmed that there were still people on the Isle, so this seems likely. Otherwise the Sea Folk way of suicide was mentioned to be going out to the ocean in a small boat and awaiting death.

Maybe they couldn't help because when they get killed in TAR, like wolves, their end is definite?

perhaps the "rules" originate from a past last battle in a long past 3rd age when a hero war ripped out or killed in TAR

What "ancient wrong" were the "seed" (presumably the Seanchan?) supposed to slay "again"?  How did the Towers of Midnight, either the physical structures in Seanchan or the metaphorical embodiment, perhaps in the Forsaken, tie into this Dark Prophecy?  Why include a mention of the Seanchan royal family returning to the Towers in a time or dire need to right what was wrong in the glossary of ToM?  Was this entire sequence intended for the outrigger novels, given that the original Shadow prophecy predicted the seed to slay the ancient wrong before the Dark One comes?

I'd like to find out who the Broken Wolf is, what was the deal with Carlinya's viewing, who wrote "Tell the Dragon Reborn" on the slaughtered Tinkers and who sent the fake Aiel to attack the Aes Sedai whose name I can't remember in LoC.

Looking at the prophecy I'd say it is Perrin. He is referred to as the Fallen Blacksmith just before, but keep in mind the scene in AMoL where he learned to be both Wolf and Man together. He was no longer a Broken Wolf or Fallen Blacksmith, he was both. My interpretation of the Prophecy is that it foretells the Forsaken trying to kill Perrin, and tells that if they succeeded it would be disastrous. 

I think this was a prophecy of what could happen not what would necessarily happen, similar to what Aviendha saw at Rhuidean.

i wonder how many RAFOs will have to wait for the encyclopedia?

Exactly. This has been my fear and my suspicion and I touched on this in great detail in my review.

I suspect many of the instances of vaguness that have happened at signings, Q and As etc AFTER the release are to build anticipation and market for the Encyclopedia. As if it wouldn't be a bestseller anyway.

We were told time and again that Brandon would be ''much more free' with answers after AMOL was released - NOT after the Encyclopedia was released.

This whole subject has me STEAMED.

Fish

Guest lanfear06

I don't know if this has been answered yet but if you could tell me that would be great. How the heck killed Asmodean. I was told by Brandon that it would be in either ToM or AMOL. Most likely in AMOL. How ever unless I missed and every person I talked to missed it, it was never in there. Please if someone has the answer please tell me. I have some fights going on with people as to who did it. Thank you

I'd like to find out who the Broken Wolf is, what was the deal with Carlinya's viewing, who wrote "Tell the Dragon Reborn" on the slaughtered Tinkers and who sent the fake Aiel to attack the Aes Sedai whose name I can't remember in LoC.

Looking at the prophecy I'd say it is Perrin. He is referred to as the Fallen Blacksmith just before, but keep in mind the scene in AMoL where he learned to be both Wolf and Man together. He was no longer a Broken Wolf or Fallen Blacksmith, he was both. My interpretation of the Prophecy is that it foretells the Forsaken trying to kill Perrin, and tells that if they succeeded it would be disastrous. 

I think this was a prophecy of what could happen not what would necessarily happen, similar to what Aviendha saw at Rhuidean.

I agree with the interpretation I've seen a few other people make: the Broken Wolf was Demandred. The "Midnight Towers" that he fell to were a reference to the towers of Malkeir, embodied by Lan, and Demandred is the only character who's death shook the will of men (the Sharans).

I think Perrin was still the Fallen Blacksmith, though I'm less certain on that.

I don't know if this has been answered yet but if you could tell me that would be great. How the heck killed Asmodean. I was told by Brandon that it would be in either ToM or AMOL. Most likely in AMOL. How ever unless I missed and every person I talked to missed it, it was never in there. Please if someone has the answer please tell me. I have some fights going on with people as to who did it. Thank you

Greandal did, it has been discussed over here somewhere. In ToM Morridin states that she was already responsible for the death of 2 forsaken after Natrin's barrow, referring to Asmo.

Archived