DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The 'No More RAFO' Thread--Existing Questions

Luckers

I don't know if this has been answered yet but if you could tell me that would be great. How the heck killed Asmodean. I was told by Brandon that it would be in either ToM or AMOL. Most likely in AMOL. How ever unless I missed and every person I talked to missed it, it was never in there. Please if someone has the answer please tell me. I have some fights going on with people as to who did it. Thank you

Greandal did, it has been discussed over here somewhere. In ToM Morridin states that she was already responsible for the death of 2 forsaken after Natrin's barrow, referring to Asmo.

It's also in the Glossary and everyone knows that for a long time already.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sure, we found out in TOM *who* killed Asmodean but now I want to know all the gritty details eg

1. Why was Greandal in the palace?

2. RJ once stated the the DO could not have brought back Asmo even if he wanted to because of *how* and *where* he was killed.  I think Balefire could easily satisfy the how, but what did the where have to do with it.

Also, what was up with the Jur Grady seeing the same towns people who had been killed in an earlier battle coming out the gateway?

1. Why was Greandal in the palace?

Lanfear had instigated the Fearsome Foursomes plan to have Melindhra kill Mat, seemingly at Sammael's command, which was deisgned to send Rand into a rage and have him go after Sammael (this was actually why Lanfear rocked up on the docks that day, to check on the effects of Melindhra's attack). Graendal, Lanfear and Rahvin would then link (in a place away from Illian, because by their own statements they were worried Rand would sense them). The obvious place of this linking was Caemlyn where they had met before, but even if it hadn't been Graendal would have been awaiting Lanfear's word that the plan had succeeded, and having failed to get it would have gone to investigate, and discovering Rand had taken Caemlyn, sought to see if she could find anything of value (she does precisely the same thing after Rand took Illian--and RJ actually pointed specifically to that action as an extra hint as to who killed Asmodean).

I'd like to find out who the Broken Wolf is, what was the deal with Carlinya's viewing, who wrote "Tell the Dragon Reborn" on the slaughtered Tinkers and who sent the fake Aiel to attack the Aes Sedai whose name I can't remember in LoC.

The Broken Wolf is most likely Demandred. He is the only one that fits. You can see the 13th Depository for Demandred parallels to make more sense.

Carlinya is killed by Black Ajah in ToM, by the Shadow. Which is associated by ravens.

Fake Aiel are Fain's corrupted Whitecloaks.

Not sure about the Tinkers. I think they were killed by Carridin's men. The message could be "Dragonsworn are killing people" but anything is possible really.

What "ancient wrong" were the "seed" (presumably the Seanchan?) supposed to slay "again"?  How did the Towers of Midnight, either the physical structures in Seanchan or the metaphorical embodiment, perhaps in the Forsaken, tie into this Dark Prophecy?  Why include a mention of the Seanchan royal family returning to the Towers in a time or dire need to right what was wrong in the glossary of ToM?  Was this entire sequence intended for the outrigger novels, given that the original Shadow prophecy predicted the seed to slay the ancient wrong before the Dark One comes?

Dark Prophecies are always tricky, by design I assume. But I think it is about Perrin and Lanfear.

"The Watchers wait on Toman's Head. The seed of the Hammer burns the ancient tree. Death shall sow, and summer burn, before the Great Lord comes. Death shall reap, and bodies fail, before the Great Lord comes. Again the seed slays ancient wrong, before the Great Lord comes. Now the Great Lord comes. Now the Great Lord comes. Blood feeds blood. Blood calls blood. Blood is, and blood was, and blood shall ever be. Now the Great Lord comes."

Not sure about the Toman's Head part. I don't think it's about the things that happened in Toman Head/Falme though.

The seed of the Hammer burns the ancient tree: The seed, the maker, of the Hammer is Perrin. Hawkwing's title Hammer of Light is a red herring probably. The ancient tree is Slayer, Verin tells us her interpretation of it is flimsy at best. And Luc Mantear's sigil is an acorn I believe, or some other tree, I can't remember exactly.

The next two sentence is obvious.

Again the seed slays ancient wrong, before the Great Lord comes: The seed is again Perrin, ancient wrong Lanfear.

Towers of Midnight is not the Forsaken as we previously thought, but Lan. King of Seven Towers that have fallen to the Blight.

Towers of Midnight is not the Forsaken as we previously thought, but Lan. King of Seven Towers that have fallen to the Blight.

Makes sense to me. Feasible that Lan killed him at Midnight as well.

I don't particularly care who Gaidal is, if it's even revealed. It could be a hint that the world is not entering a peaceful state (after all, what's the point of having a 3000 year arc of prophesy and purposes spinning out heroes just after the big bang? ) but it's worth noting that the time distortion could play in with his age.  If Rand and the Dark One are in some sort of time suck, it's possible if the child is particularly far away he could be a little older. He won't get too far ahead of Birgitte, but then again, she's probably late in rebirth. She was probably supposed to be spun out before the Last Battle with Gaidal, so her inclusion might mean she's behind a bit.

I don't particularly care who Gaidal is, if it's even revealed. It could be a hint that the world is not entering a peaceful state (after all, what's the point of having a 3000 year arc of prophesy and purposes spinning out heroes just after the big bang? ) but it's worth noting that the time distortion could play in with his age.  If Rand and the Dark One are in some sort of time suck, it's possible if the child is particularly far away he could be a little older. He won't get too far ahead of Birgitte, but then again, she's probably late in rebirth. She was probably supposed to be spun out before the Last Battle with Gaidal, so her inclusion might mean she's behind a bit.

Birgette was spun out exactly when she was supposed to.  Its a feature of the third age that she is ripped free early.  As per RJ, the only thing unique about this age is Mordeth/Fain.  Therefore,  Birgette does this every third age.

grady son was like 5 in LoC

I'm not sure-she's initially playing with a four year old, but doesn't identify it has her son. At the end of the chapter her son is "clasped to her breast," which makes me think it's a baby. 

http://books.google.com/books?id=yLmG1BB4XUQC&lpg=PP1&dq=lord of chaos&pg=PA124#v=onepage&q&f=false

Interview: Dec, 2010

Goodreads ToM Fantasy Book Club Q&A with Brandon Sanderson (Verbatim)

Carrie (Care)

Brandon, I would love to know if we finally found out who Gaidal Cain was reborn as (or had a brief mention of him) in Towers of Midnight? I really thought it was obvious, but after talking to some friends I guess it wasn't. I realize you might not be able to say who it is, but if you could just let me know if we did hear mention of him in Towers of Midnight, that would be awesome.

Brandon Sanderson

I know what you're talking about. I won't confirm 100% or not, but the phrasing was intentional.

Footnote

This is apparently in reference to Grady's son, who was (by Rand's estimate) four years old in Lord of Chaos and therefore too old to be Gaidal Cain (unless Grady has another son and didn't bother to mention the other to Rand, which seems unlikely).

Birgette was spun out exactly when she was supposed to. Its a feature of the third age that she is ripped free early. As per RJ, the only thing unique about this age is Mordeth/Fain. Therefore, Birgette does this every third age.

That isn't entirely correct TL. Yes ages are repeated but the details can vary greatly each time around. They only look similar from a distance.

I would definitely like to know more about Boa the Wyle and the Sharan prophecies pertaining to him:

Different cultures have different names for The Dragon Reborn such as Car'a'Carn and Coramor.  Could it be that Boa the Wyle is the Sharan name for TDR and Demandred truly usurped Rands position in that land?

Is it a completely different prophecy of the Sharans that Demandred took advantage of?

Did the Sharans actually have prophecies pertaining to the coming of Demandred?

I would definitely like to know more about Boa the Wyle and the Sharan prophecies pertaining to him:

Different cultures have different names for The Dragon Reborn such as Car'a'Carn and Coramor.  Could it be that Boa the Wyle is the Sharan name for TDR and Demandred truly usurped Rands position in that land?

Is it a completely different prophecy of the Sharans that Demandred took advantage of?

Did the Sharans actually have prophecies pertaining to the coming of Demandred?

It's a prophecy about Rand, but a post-Last Battle Rand.

What we heard was that the Wyld could weave without weaves. Rand does this in lighting his pipe at the end. He's also owned by the land and only the land (I may have phrased that wrong), and that seems to be the attitude Rand is taking now, wandering where he will, doing what he pleases. The Wyld is also called "Dragonslayer." In a way, Rand did slay the Dragon with the body-swap and going into hiding. Rand is the Wyld. Demandred usurped those prophecies for his own purpose.

Did Fortuona not make a deal with Egwene wherein damane would be allowed to go the the White Tower if they so chose?  Would this not give Moghidean a very easy means of escape?

While reading, I thought about the same thing but now, think of it: Moghedien wants to be an Aes Sedai, suldam delivers her to the tower, the aes sedai notices (for sure) the newcomer is a former forsaken and feel regretful that they couldn't prepare a warm wellcome party.

edit: by the way, someone above mentioned the string theory. wow! wheel of time science indeed has an awesome similarity to the string theory.

There may be similarities between M-Theory and the Pattern on very abstract levels. M-Theory holds that particles are vibrating "strings" of energy. Incredibly tiny. Little loops sometimes. The way they vibrate defines their characteristics. But there's no weaving involved, or the idea that individuals have their own strings in a grander pattern, or anything. M-Theory is also incredibly new, and I don't think RJ was influenced by it at all. Nor do I think Brandon intended any parallels to it.

I understand that Mat has his brain stuffed with many many memories - but (and i cant remember which) one of the Hero's was making comment about a time in his past where LTT had saved his life, not just in Rhuidean. I can't wrap my brain around it. Did i miss something, or does anyone have an idea of who that is? 

Also, I'd have loved to know a GREAT deal more about Caddy's upbringing and the wilder that trained her and gave her the Paralis net. 

Also also, the DO referred to Mat the same way the finns do. 

I understand that Mat has his brain stuffed with many many memories - but (and i cant remember which) one of the Hero's was making comment about a time in his past where LTT had saved his life, not just in Rhuidean. I can't wrap my brain around it. Did i miss something, or does anyone have an idea of who that is? 

Also, I'd have loved to know a GREAT deal more about Caddy's upbringing and the wilder that trained her and gave her the Paralis net. 

Also also, the DO referred to Mat the same way the finns do. 

The Heroes were referring to when Rand balefired Rahvin and thus reversed the deaths of Mat and Aviendha by Rahvin.

Did Fortuona not make a deal with Egwene wherein damane would be allowed to go the the White Tower if they so chose?  Would this not give Moghidean a very easy means of escape?

While reading, I thought about the same thing but now, think of it: Moghedien wants to be an Aes Sedai, suldam delivers her to the tower, the aes sedai notices (for sure) the newcomer is a former forsaken and feel regretful that they couldn't prepare a warm wellcome party.

edit: by the way, someone above mentioned the string theory. wow! wheel of time science indeed has an awesome similarity to the string theory.

But how many AS would actually recognize her?  As best  I remember only two have ever see Moghedien and known her for what she was, namely Nyneave and Elayne.  Elayne being queen of Andor probably would not often be in Tar Valon so barring a chance encounter with Nyn, Moggy could go to the tower, get tested and once she is squared away in novice quarters with no full AS about she could make a gateway and escape.  The novices certainly would not be able to stop her and while AS would detect the channeling, Moggy would be long gone before any came to investigate.

I think her getting taken was just meant to be one more victory for the Light albeit not one they'd know about, and that we're all just over thinking it haha.

The Seanchan probably don't really care about the agreement much anyway, and certainly wouldn't let her go when they find out who she is.

Archived