A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The 'No More RAFO' Thread--Existing Questions

Luckers

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Verin's letter to Rand.

Verin's letter to Galad.

Verin's other letter to Mat?  Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but I thought there was another one she had sent Mat.

Verin's letter to Alanna and how that related to her disappearance.

Moiraine's wishes behind the doorway.

How would the Dragon going over to the Shadow result in a draw?

Why not just kill Rand from day 1?

What was Demandred balefiring and why?

1. In the final confrontation, Rand realizes the Dark One can't win as long as the human race doesn't break or give up. Even if the Dragon goes to the shadow, as long as people don't give up, he can't win.

2. Turning Rand would probably make answer 1 easier than killing him. That and Rand has the pattern protecting him. There's plenty of times they tried to kill Rand and failed.

3. Why? Because the Dark One told him to in LoC. Further explaination, there's a line during the Last Battle when Demandred is telling people to keep balefiring anything and everything, because the pattern must be unravelled before it can be remade.

Verin's letter to Rand.

Verin's letter to Galad.

Verin's other letter to Mat?  Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but I thought there was another one she had sent Mat.

Verin's letter to Alanna and how that related to her disappearance.

Moiraine's wishes behind the doorway.

I am okay with the letters being left open (also, she didn't send the other letter, she had prepared another but wasn't able to give it to him because of her oaths), and to a lesser degree Moiraine's wishes/questions can be at least potentially/partially inferred.

Even Taim's backstory can be mostly pieced together from the bits in the novel.

How would the Dragon going over to the Shadow result in a draw?

Why not just kill Rand from day 1?

What was Demandred balefiring and why?

1. In the final confrontation, Rand realizes the Dark One can't win as long as the human race doesn't break or give up. Even if the Dragon goes to the shadow, as long as people don't give up, he can't win.

2. Turning Rand would probably make answer 1 easier than killing him. That and Rand has the pattern protecting him. There's plenty of times they tried to kill Rand and failed.

3. Why? Because the Dark One told him to in LoC. Further explaination, there's a line during the Last Battle when Demandred is telling people to keep balefiring anything and everything, because the pattern must be unravelled before it can be remade.

I know that was what was implied...however, it seems pretty obvious that if they had killed Rand on day one they could have just won the military engagements and enslaved the world.  Why allow Rand the opportunity to seal the Dark One away?  There was no reason to allow him to live.

I dont recall the line about Demandred saying to balefire everything - I'll have to go back and read again.

Can a burned out channeler be healed the same as a stilled one?

Who was Siuan's 'first' Ta'veren? She knew she had the talent for seeing them before ever meeting the Two Rivers lads. (I once posted a theory about this being the person she and Gareth argued over in Andor while she was still Amyrlin, with that Ta'veren's real purpose being to bring about that confrontation so as to set the pattern for later?.

What is the deal with Aviendha's traveling weaves? When she traveled with the Kin to their farm it was hinted that they appeared earlier than they left, and in AMOL Aviendha was confused why no one on the other side noticed her weave.

Who was Siuan's 'first' Ta'veren? She knew she had the talent for seeing them before ever meeting the Two Rivers lads. (I once posted a theory about this being the person she and Gareth argued over in Andor while she was still Amyrlin, with that Ta'veren's real purpose being to bring about that confrontation so as to set the pattern for later?.

What is the deal with Aviendha's traveling weaves? When she traveled with the Kin to their farm it was hinted that they appeared earlier than they left, and in AMOL Aviendha was confused why no one on the other side noticed her weave.

I don't remember the traveling with the Kin part.  In reference to no one seeing her weave, I assume that since the battlefield is in chaos and the Mashadar fog it was obscured.

I've read the crazy time travelling theories but I really don't think there was anything funny there. Aviendha was having problems with Travelling because she'd already discovered it in tFoH but she'd forgotten how she did it. Learning a weave in a second way is extremely hard and it usually doesn't work as well as the first method. She had to remember the gestures she made when she'd created her first gateway.

Who was Siuan's 'first' Ta'veren? She knew she had the talent for seeing them before ever meeting the Two Rivers lads. (I once posted a theory about this being the person she and Gareth argued over in Andor while she was still Amyrlin, with that Ta'veren's real purpose being to bring about that confrontation so as to set the pattern for later?.What is the deal with Aviendha's traveling weaves? When she traveled with the Kin to their farm it was hinted that they appeared earlier than they left, and in AMOL Aviendha was confused why no one on the other side noticed her weave.

I don't remember the traveling with the Kin part.  In reference to no one seeing her weave, I assume that since the battlefield is in chaos and the Mashadar fog it was obscured.

It's actually a very well written and vague scene, but the character's casual references to the time of the day, the estimated time of arrival at the farm, etc. were all skewed to being earlier than expected. There is a big theory on it somewhere.

What about the question the Sea Folk lady was suppose to ask Rand?  He asked her what they did with male channelers and said she would ask him his question later.....

Also, what was the point of Padan Fain.  Biggest let down in a book ever.  I really thought he would end up doing something but that was foolish

Also, did we ever end up getting all of Rand's questions?  Moranine's questions/Wishes?

Who was that crazy Aiel person Avi met in the waste?  Was that the same old lady Rand sees right at the end?  Don't have a quote on this part but it was very odd, he sees the old lady and then like fades to black or something.

I'm not sure if these were specifically all RAFO'd:

- Pulses for Perrin and Faile in KoD

- Big darkhound pack, CoT (wtf, why didn't the channelers sense them, also wtf)

- Merrilille Sedai and Talaan (latter mentioned at the end of AMoL as back with the Seafolk)

Slight correction. I believe it was said that Talaan and Merrilille (if that's how it is spelled) joined a group of Dragonsworn, and she was with the group that went to the valley.

Slight correction. I believe it was said that Talaan and Merrilille (if that's how it is spelled) joined a group of Dragonsworn, and she was with the group that went to the valley.

Talaan did, but nothing is said about Merilille.

Somewhere, fighting here, was Cadsuane’s handpicked team. Talaan, a Windfinder who had somehow made her way to the Dragonsworn.

I want to know the entire Karaethon Cycle!  All we have is a set of phrases and paragraphs, but no full prophecy of the dragon.

I thought while I read and reread the series that it was mainly narrative retardation so that the readers wouldn't be able to puzzle out the ending properly, but I don't think there is a full version of the prophecy anywhere.

Also, did we ever end up getting all of Rand's questions?  Moranine's questions/Wishes?

Who was that crazy Aiel person Avi met in the waste?  Was that the same old lady Rand sees right at the end?  Don't have a quote on this part but it was very odd, he sees the old lady and then like fades to black or something.

The old woman with the gray hair is most likely Graendals new body, as he sees an Aiel next to her which is most likely Aviendha, since she accidentally reversed the compulsion that Graendal was trying to set on her.

Archived