DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Most headdesk-worthy WOT couple

Rose

86 members have voted

1. 1. What is the most headdesk-worthy couple in the WOT?

• Berelain and Galad - Now that's a match made in heaven.
    • Egwene and Gawyn - Do any characters have more haters than these two?
    • Erith and Loial - Could be cute if you squint.
    • Faile and Perrin - PLOD says it all.
    • Gareth and Siuan - A very fishy romance.
    • Lan and Nynaeve - The drama king and queen.
    • Mat and Tuon - Possibly the most improbable match of all.
    • Moiraine and Thom - And when did that happen, exactly?
    • Morgase and Tallanvor - You'd think they were teenagers!
    • Rand and his girls - Really, Rand? Really?
    • Bain, Chiad and Gaul - Suggested by Apple Scruff

Yes but what was the underlying reason behind it all. Sure, Mat knows how to woo a woman, but doesn't have much bearing on the fact that the entire reason he was doing it was because he was told he had too. Same with Tuon. I mean how unnatural is that? Did it work on in the end? Yea, but only because he gave in and said he had no choice.

It started out like that, but the thing about it is how Mat started to actually fall in love with her and his wooing didn't work as usual because he actually starts caring for her. A common theme, womaniser-that-falls-in-love-and-becomes-clueless, but RJ did it particularly well.

That's how I saw it anyway. It is opinion after all, so no answer is wrong or right. Just comes down to how it was read, and each persons ideas on relationships.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes but what was the underlying reason behind it all. Sure, Mat knows how to woo a woman, but doesn't have much bearing on the fact that the entire reason he was doing it was because he was told he had too. Same with Tuon. I mean how unnatural is that? Did it work on in the end? Yea, but only because he gave in and said he had no choice.

It started out like that, but the thing about it is how Mat started to actually fall in love with her and his wooing didn't work as usual because he actually starts caring for her. A common theme, womaniser-that-falls-in-love-and-becomes-clueless, but RJ did it particularly well.

That's how I saw it anyway. It is opinion after all, so no answer is wrong or right. Just comes down to how it was read, and each persons ideas on relationships.

This.

Also, it wasn't like it was one-sided. They had BOTH been told that they would end up together. I saw it as kind of a "huh, I guess we're stuck together, then" situation. None of them wanted it at first, but they also knew it would happen, and they had to work from there. Maybe it's just me, but a have a soft spot for this kind of scenario.

You're correct. I'm the type of person who believes that being in a relantionship for reasons that have nothing to do with that relantionship are wrong. I.e. I'm not a fan of "staying together for the children's sake." I believe it's wrong.

Thanks for the friendly discourse, you too Rose.

well done and do not let the sutt or others see you in the role of some one who is offending eggy the exalted one or you will find your life very difficult also someon said that Rand needs more GFs well, I heartily agree he needs to lighten up and getting more girls is definitely the way to go :wink:

Not sure where you are goin with this Mudd(although admittedly that is often the case)? As you well know Eggy isn't even in my top 5 characters. Further the bashing far outweighs any positives on these boards so not sure where "exalted" comes from. As long as the post is correct and leaves the hyperbole/vitriol at home I could care less what people say about her.

As an aside well done Barid and Rose on the Mat/Tuon takes.

This.

Also, it wasn't like it was one-sided. They had BOTH been told that they would end up together. I saw it as kind of a "huh, I guess we're stuck together, then" situation. None of them wanted it at first, but they also knew it would happen, and they had to work from there. Maybe it's just me, but a have a soft spot for this kind of scenario.

One sided or not, the logic was silly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-fulfilling_prophecy

That's how I viewed it the entire time. I still view it that way.

And for the record, I like both the Characters. I love Mat,and I like Tuon despite her raisings, she seems to have some sense. And their actual relantionship progressed naturally to love, no issue with that, but it's all built on what? Someone told them they had too, and so they did.

This.

http://en.wikipedia....illing_prophecy

And for the record, I like both the Characters. I love Mat,and I like Tuon despite her raisings, she seems to have some sense. And their actual relantionship progressed naturally to love, no issue with that, but it's all built on what? Someone told them they had too, and so they did.

Love at first sight, it happens.

This.

I liked it. They both made the best of their situation. It's like a blind date. They both went in expecting to have the worse time ever. Eventually, Mat said to himself," Well, I should at least try to have fun with it." And then he found himself loving her. It happened naturally and I enjoined the plot arc.

Are you more bothered by the fact that it worked out, or the fact that they didn't try to run away from their prophesied fate?

This.

Except that's not how prophecies work in the WoT, It's not that "someone told them they had to", it's that "someone told them it would happen whether they tried or not".

It's like when Min viewed that she would be in love with Rand. She didn't want to, she didn't even try to, but it still happened.

The difference here is that the prophecy didn't say that Mat and Tuon would be in love, only that they would marry. The love part is their own doing and nobody else's. None of them expected it, but it happened, and it was a great twist on the whole thing.

ETA: What Clouded said.

This.

I liked it. They both made the best of their situation. It's like a blind date. They both went in expecting to have the worse time ever. Eventually, Mat said to himself," Well, I should at least try to have fun with it." And then he found himself loving her. It happened naturally and I enjoined the plot arc.

Are you more bothered by the fact that it worked out, or the fact that they didn't try to run away from their prophesied fate?

The fact that they blindly accepted it.

@ Rose, with the love thing. It's kinda out of your control. (I tend to dislke love because of that, but I digress). No one can force you to marry someone, so it seems like it'll be easier to sidestep it. He was so focused on denying it, he made it happen himself. Soon as he figured out who she was, Oh hells naw, LEAVE! Leave her, Run, something! He fell for her! Cmon man!

Rand having no less than three beautiful intelligent strong-willed regal/prophetic/wise superheroines fall in love with him for no other reason than because he's the main hero/Messiah figure of the series. Polygamy just doesn't sit well with me.

He's not married, so really at best he's just a player who's women agree

Well I voted Loial and Erith because after looking through the rest of the list, I realized I acutally really like most of the couples in the series now! Wasn't always so, but after some characters did some time growing up, I actually like most of them. Probably Perrin/Faile used to annoy me the most back in the day, but I always wanted them to work it out, I think.

Mat/Tuon are my absolute favorite, and I agree with others, I loved their whole storyline from WH-KOD. It still makes me sad to think of those Outriggers that will never be written, because whole novels devoted to the two of them? Would've been a dream come true for me. Right up there with 10 seasons of Firefly :P

Although, someone brought up Elayne/Rand, and yeah, they bother me a little. They hardly spend any time together ever. It's a little weird.

I can actually respect the Mat-Tuon matchup since rather come out of the blue, the whole daughter of the nine moons thing was shadowed well in advance and was a major part of Mats character development. Tallanvor and Gawyn might get my vote since their characters are so one-dimensional but I think their Romances were more just fan service than anything else (The chivalrous knight always get their women, a predominantly young male readerbase almost guarantees it is so).

Perrin and Faile for sure though.

That whole relationship would have been way better without Failes' jealousy, and if the Hawk + Falcon situation had been done better. I could appreciate Mat-Tuon after a fashion since the pairing itself was so at odds with Mats' character yet still important to his characters' arc. With the Seanchan culture being more than fleshed out. Saldea on the other hand was a complete mystery and when 10~ books in we're finally given the explanation for Failes behavior, it comes well short of expectation and seemed oversimplified. Add in Perrin smelling emotions then understanding 0 of them 0 of the time, and the fact that the Hawk + Falcon thing has nothing to do with wolves or Perrins' character development and... yeah it's just a bunk pair that I skip over in my rereads.

I'm beginning to think people here have either an unrealistic expectation when it comes to relationships or a completely different understanding of the title than i do. Perrn and Faile have one of the most realistic and multidimensional relationships in the entire series. It has a realistic and logical beginning with how they meet and initial impressions of each other and they have a logical well paced growth to their relationship. Calling the characters "headdesk worthy" is your own decision, but their relationship is not.

I'm beginning to think people here have either an unrealistic expectation when it comes to relationships or a completely different understanding of the title than i do. Perrn and Faile have one of the most realistic and multidimensional relationships in the entire series. It has a realistic and logical beginning with how they meet and initial impressions of each other and they have a logical well paced growth to their relationship. Calling the characters "headdesk worthy" is your own decision, but their relationship is not.

That's not a bad point, although I think Min and Rand have a believable relationship. But, your point may be the problem. Anyone who has been in a real life realtionship full of its ups and downs knows they don't want to bother with someone else's. RJ has made us read pages and pages about this stuff. ;)

That's not a bad point, although I think Min and Rand have a believable relationship. But, your point may be the problem. Anyone who has been in a real life realtionship full of its ups and downs knows they don't want to bother with someone else's. RJ has made us read pages and pages about this stuff. ;)

better that than:

"hello"

"hey"

[insert optional kissy-face here]

"SOULMATES!"

Berelain and Galad. Just... Is there anything those two share except awesome looks?

I mean, Moiraine and Thom may not be well-developed at times, but they ARE both older world travellers. Siuan and Gareth was halfway poof, but they are both elder states(wo)men of sorts. Their characters kind of seem to match, and so it is believable they could love eachother even if the development seems iffy at times (though Siuan and Gareth had significantly more time off-screen to develop than Moiraine and Thom).

Berelain and Galad? Miss Femme Fatale who thinks everyone is a scumbag as big as her (admittedly she has reason to be, being a politician from a weak country) with Mister all-according-to-rules-and-plan? Galad MIGHT fit with some of the women in the story, if Morgase's lessons sink in a little bit (not too much, he is awesome); not sure immediately, but if he transforms his passion for rules to a passion for good he might well fit with Nynaeve (though she's occupied). Berelain would also fit with some men in the books, probably a Cairhienin or so given her propensity for Daes Dae'mar... but them together? Blech.

Other mentions: Nynaeve and Lan are a bit weird but had some relationbuilding, Elayne and Rand have hardly any relation building and Rand is already occupied (but their characters might match).

Other: Bain, Chiad, & Gaul

Can we just figure this out already? The man loves you. He's followed you all over the flaming world! Give him a marriage wreath or not, but settle this!

Oooh, thank you, I'm totally adding it to the poll.

I meant it both ways, actually. Either very unrealistic couples, or very realistic ones that just make you want to strangle them because of how stubborn they're being. And, well, it is going tobe biased by character-hate, but it's still fun to see what people have to say :)

What I think is funny is how Eggy and Gawyn seem to be leadinghere. I mean really, they have one of the most developed relantionships, next to Perrin/Faile. They'll lose because everyone hates the characters. But what's wrong with their relantionship? They have power struggles, which is expected. They have time to develop. I mean what's bad about it besides the characters.

Other: Bain, Chiad, & Gaul

Can we just figure this out already? The man loves you. He's followed you all over the flaming world! Give him a marriage wreath or not, but settle this!

I like the Bain, Chiad, and Gaul situation. You see the interest grow over time. You see the conflict and confusion within Gaul. You see the teasing by Bain and Chiad. Plus, there is the whole dilemma of Gaul breaking up the two of them, or marrying both of them.

"The Maidens do not dance the spears with one another even when our clans do, but the Shaarad Aiel and the Goshien Aiel have held blood feud between them over four hundred years, so Chiad and I felt our wedding pledge was not enough. We went to speak the words before the Wise Ones of our clans - she risking her life in my hold, and I in hers - to bond us as first-sisters. As is proper for first-sisters who are Maidens, we guard each other’s backs, and neither will let a man come to her without the other. I would not say we do not care for men.”

What I think is funny is how Eggy and Gawyn seem to be leadinghere. I mean really, they have one of the most developed relantionships, next to Perrin/Faile. They'll lose because everyone hates the characters. But what's wrong with their relantionship? They have power struggles, which is expected. They have time to develop. I mean what's bad about it besides the characters.

My main issue was how Eggy barely paid any attention to him while at the WT, didn't think about him for a long time after, and then suddenly, out of the blue she's in love?

That said, unlike Galad I could buy Gawyn fall for Eggy from afar. He needed a romantic substitute for Elayne, skirts he could follow around. Eggy would've easily stood out in that respect.

Wouldn't Chiad have to give up the spear to marry him? No amount of world following should sway a spear maiden dedicated enough. He has his pride for not settling as a lover to blame.

On an unrelated note, I really like the relationships between Siuan/Gareth, Mat/Tuon, and Bain/Gaul/Chiad. They all seem semi-realistic, despite the improbability of the Mat/Tuon relationship i think there is some self-fulfilling prophecy there and tbh the relationship is amusing regardless.

Archived