DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Most headdesk-worthy WOT couple

Rose

86 members have voted

1. 1. What is the most headdesk-worthy couple in the WOT?

• Berelain and Galad - Now that's a match made in heaven.
    • Egwene and Gawyn - Do any characters have more haters than these two?
    • Erith and Loial - Could be cute if you squint.
    • Faile and Perrin - PLOD says it all.
    • Gareth and Siuan - A very fishy romance.
    • Lan and Nynaeve - The drama king and queen.
    • Mat and Tuon - Possibly the most improbable match of all.
    • Moiraine and Thom - And when did that happen, exactly?
    • Morgase and Tallanvor - You'd think they were teenagers!
    • Rand and his girls - Really, Rand? Really?
    • Bain, Chiad and Gaul - Suggested by Apple Scruff

Honestly, Morgase and Tallanvor's relationship bothers me the most. He is an obsessive stalker, and she is just wishy-washy girl who can't make up her mind.

My vote goes to Moraine and Thom. I mean, he was scared of her when they first met, wary at least, and now they're in love? Why? How? And it seems she asked a question about it as one ofher 3 questions, Who the hell does that? "Ok, I need to save the world, I have 3 questions, Dang, guess I better ask who I'll marry huh, want to get that out the way"

That's nuts!!!!!

Mat was also told who he would marry, and he didn't ask "Who will I marry?", so what makes you assume Moiraine asked that question?

I will say that Moiraine and Thom's mutual respect has been shown to be growing since the start. They are as near to equals in regards to mental prowess and sheer ability as any two characters in the books, I thin they make a fine match.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Berelain and Galad? Miss Femme Fatale who thinks everyone is a scumbag as big as her (admittedly she has reason to be, being a politician from a weak country) with Mister all-according-to-rules-and-plan? Galad MIGHT fit with some of the women in the story, if Morgase's lessons sink in a little bit (not too much, he is awesome); not sure immediately, but if he transforms his passion for rules to a passion for good he might well fit with Nynaeve (though she's occupied). Berelain would also fit with some men in the books, probably a Cairhienin or so given her propensity for Daes Dae'mar... but them together? Blech.

I think the argument could be made that they would be good for each other though, because of their differences. Berelain could get him to lighten up a little, and Galad could reign her in some.

What I think is funny is how Eggy and Gawyn seem to be leadinghere. I mean really, they have one of the most developed relantionships, next to Perrin/Faile. They'll lose because everyone hates the characters. But what's wrong with their relantionship? They have power struggles, which is expected. They have time to develop. I mean what's bad about it besides the characters.

My main issue was how Eggy barely paid any attention to him while at the WT, didn't think about him for a long time after, and then suddenly, out of the blue she's in love?

That said, unlike Galad I could buy Gawyn fall for Eggy from afar. He needed a romantic substitute for Elayne, skirts he could follow around. Eggy would've easily stood out in that respect.

Wouldn't Chiad have to give up the spear to marry him? No amount of world following should sway a spear maiden dedicated enough. He has his pride for not settling as a lover to blame.

She didn't barely pay attention to him, Elayne even brought up how much he liked her. I got the impression that they spoke quite a bit off screen. Then they had their few weeks together when she was an appretience. In all, they've had one of the longest development times of all these people. And no one told them they must be together.

Honestly, Morgase and Tallanvor's relationship bothers me the most. He is an obsessive stalker, and she is just wishy-washy girl who can't make up her mind.

My vote goes to Moraine and Thom. I mean, he was scared of her when they first met, wary at least, and now they're in love? Why? How? And it seems she asked a question about it as one ofher 3 questions, Who the hell does that? "Ok, I need to save the world, I have 3 questions, Dang, guess I better ask who I'll marry huh, want to get that out the way"

That's nuts!!!!!

Mat was also told who he would marry, and he didn't ask "Who will I marry?", so what makes you assume Moiraine asked that question?

I will say that Moiraine and Thom's mutual respect has been shown to be growing since the start. They are as near to equals in regards to mental prowess and sheer ability as any two characters in the books, I thin they make a fine match.

Mat asked what he fate was, and it was an extra question that they answered because his presence was about to destroy them. His marrying Tuon has actual bearing on the story. I suppose she could have asked how she would escape from the tower, and they told her that Thom, her future husband, would come rescue her. That may make some sort of sense.

on a completely seperate argument for the faile/perrin relationship, I placed my vote for them as their relationship destroyed the charecters. faile I personally aren't that bothered about, but it seems just as perrin was working himself out and finally understanding who he is, she comes along and changes everything about him. It irritated me that did.

they'd have made much better friends than lovers/ husband and wife.

I can understand the point of the unfaltering love been a key part of a story invovling the world falling apart, but, could it not have been to a charecter who wasn't so lost before he met his love?

What I think is funny is how Eggy and Gawyn seem to be leadinghere. I mean really, they have one of the most developed relantionships, next to Perrin/Faile. They'll lose because everyone hates the characters. But what's wrong with their relantionship? They have power struggles, which is expected. They have time to develop. I mean what's bad about it besides the characters.

My main issue was how Eggy barely paid any attention to him while at the WT, didn't think about him for a long time after, and then suddenly, out of the blue she's in love?

That said, unlike Galad I could buy Gawyn fall for Eggy from afar. He needed a romantic substitute for Elayne, skirts he could follow around. Eggy would've easily stood out in that respect.

Wouldn't Chiad have to give up the spear to marry him? No amount of world following should sway a spear maiden dedicated enough. He has his pride for not settling as a lover to blame.

She didn't barely pay attention to him, Elayne even brought up how much he liked her. I got the impression that they spoke quite a bit off screen. Then they had their few weeks together when she was an appretience. In all, they've had one of the longest development times of all these people. And no one told them they must be together.

IIRC when she was a novice Egwene had eyes for Galad only and barely noticed Gawyn. Then Elayne finally had enough of this when they came back from Falme and told her "Galad sucks, Gawyn is much cooler and he is besotted with you". Egwene was like "OK, good to know, I had no idea" then forgot all about both of them for two books. Then suddenly she started having romantic dreams about Gawyn and when she saw him next, she immediately declared that she loved him.

Still, this development is better IMO than "we are prophesied to fall in love so let's get to it" plot which Jordan really overused and I dislike in principle since it's lazy writing to use prophesy as a crutch instead of letting the feelings develop naturally.

IIRC when she was a novice Egwene had eyes for Galad only and barely noticed Gawyn. Then Elayne finally had enough of this when they came back from Falme and told her "Galad sucks, Gawyn is much cooler and he is besotted with you". Egwene was like "OK, good to know, I had no idea" then forgot all about both of them for two books. Then suddenly she started having romantic dreams about Gawyn and when she saw him next, she immediately declared that she loved him.

Still, this development is better IMO than "we are prophesied to fall in love so let's get to it" plot which Jordan really overused and I dislike in principle since it's lazy writing to use prophesy as a crutch instead of letting the feelings develop naturally.

I thought she noticed him, but he was overshadowed by Galad's twilight sparkly beauty. And she thought Gawyn didn't care for her, but she started having dreams featuring him in that way.

Still I agree wholeheartedly with your second portion.

I thought she noticed him, but he was overshadowed by Galad's twilight sparkly beauty. And she thought Gawyn didn't care for her, but she started having dreams featuring him in that way.

Still I agree wholeheartedly with your second portion.

She only started the dreams in the Aiel waste. Never at the tower. She fell for Gawyn as the dude she went to picnics with in her dreams. Basically, the way it panned out, she fell for the illusion of him, not the actually guy.

I would say Siuan and Gareth are the better developed of the prophesied couples. For one thing as strange as the relationship initiated it still made sense to me. Their situations mirrored and they had long ago left lasting impressions on one another. More than anything, for all the er sillier aspects of their relationship, their bond was forged on immense mutual respect and admiration.

She only started the dreams in the Aiel waste. Never at the tower. She fell for Gawyn as the dude she went to picnics with in her dreams. Basically, the way it panned out, she fell for the illusion of him, not the actually guy.

I would say Siuan and Gareth are the better developed of the prophesied couples. For one thing as strange as the relationship initiated it still made sense to me. Their situations mirrored and they had long ago left lasting impressions on one another. More than anything, for all the er sillier aspects of their relationship, their bond was forged on immense mutual respect and admiration.

Was Suian and Gareth prophesied? I thought she just had to stay near him. I did find their falling in love fairly natural as well. I had no issue with it.

Suiane and Gareth is pretty much exactly the same as Perrin and Faile with the genders reversed. One of them chases the other, the other doesn't want the relationship. Moirane and Thom came out of the blue, but the game of houses makes strange relationships.

As for Egwene, she fell for the man in -his- dreams, not her own. Dream Gawyn is who he wants to be, so falling in love with him is falling in love with the true inner person which is what Hollywood tells us to do.

One factor that I haven't seen mentioned, and hadn't really thought about much, is that they're mostly kids. I mean, Egwene, Elayne, Tuon, and their counterparts are all in their late teens and early 20's. That kind of explains the ridiculous "Hi, my name is Jenny/Billy and I'm in love with you!!"

I guess if you could flash forward 20 years and see them all on their 2nd or 3rd marriages with 6 kids running around then you would realize that it was a perfectly realistic high school relationship.

One factor that I haven't seen mentioned, and hadn't really thought about much, is that they're mostly kids. I mean, Egwene, Elayne, Tuon, and their counterparts are all in their late teens and early 20's. That kind of explains the ridiculous "Hi, my name is Jenny/Billy and I'm in love with you!!"

I guess if you could flash forward 20 years and see them all on their 2nd or 3rd marriages with 6 kids running around then you would realize that it was a perfectly realistic high school relationship.

I totally agree. Most of them haven't done more than kiss by the time they're 18-21, they'd fall in love with the first person they came in contact with. ;) Plus, most of them are falling for Lords, Ladies, Wizards, Princes, Empresses to be, etc. It's not like they're falling for the janitor in Valan Luca's menagerie.

Suiane and Gareth is pretty much exactly the same as Perrin and Faile with the genders reversed. One of them chases the other, the other doesn't want the relationship. Moirane and Thom came out of the blue, but the game of houses makes strange relationships.

As for Egwene, she fell for the man in -his- dreams, not her own. Dream Gawyn is who he wants to be, so falling in love with him is falling in love with the true inner person which is what Hollywood tells us to do.

Thank the Gods for Hollywood....otherwise I wouldn't know how to get out of bed in the morning.

It's close enough to prophesied love. Sticking around someone of the opposite gender in WoT rarely leads anywhere non-romance. Morgase/Tall, Rand/Avi, Perrin/Faile, Rand/Min...

Actually no, by the time Egwene visited his dream she was already in love. Hence why she got caught and couldn't escape. Before that she was dreaming about Gawyn (and Galad too). This is both according to Lanfear and Egwene herself. In Egwene's dreams about Gawyn she mentioned going on picnics and him reading her poetry. In Gawyn's dream it was more like saving her from monster-Rand and sexing. Quite a divergence wouldn't you say?

Without Gawyn that whole big Forsaken tower plot falls on it's face. Now you can of course get into the explanations about how coincidences and tiny unrelated actions are a driving force behind the narrative for any part of the series.

The fact Gawyn helped kidnap Rand, kept Siuan from being rescued, and acts like a spoiled child makes him incredibly unpopular to the reader already, but then Egwene ignores all of that on top of falling in love with him sort of necessitates at least a little bit of an 'Whaa- why how?' reaction.

Without Gawyn that whole big Forsaken tower plot falls on it's face. Now you can of course get into the explanations about how coincidences and tiny unrelated actions are a driving force behind the narrative for any part of the series.

The fact Gawyn helped kidnap Rand, kept Siuan from being rescued, and acts like a spoiled child makes him incredibly unpopular to the reader already, but then Egwene ignores all of that on top of falling in love with him sort of necessitates at least a little bit of an 'Whaa- why how?' reaction.

Well. He didn't help kidnap Rand, he had no knowledge of it until after it happened and he discovered he was in the box. Nothing he can really do at that point.

I agree with you about the tower plot, but his love for Eggy was part of the reason he fought for the tower. I don't like the characters, but their love seems more natural than all besides Perrin and Faile, who again, are second due to people not liking the characters.

Rand and Elayne. They kiss in the stone of tear for 4 days and then 6 books later (the first time they see each other again I believe?) they get down to business. Honestly? Min is also a little strange, but at least they have a somewhat decent amount of time together, and same with Avi, but Elayne is just... ugh.

Also, I identify with Gawyn and Tuon a lot more than other people I think. Egwene is one of my favorite characters, and Gawyn I think is a good match. Tuon I personally believe is perfect for Mat, but most people will want to cut off my head for saying that. Then again I'm also a hopeless romantic so my relationship views in books get heavily skewed by any number of factors. But I adore all the interactions between Tuon and Mat. She has just the right amount of mischief in her.

And also Moraine and Thom is rushed as heck. They're just suddenly in love after not seeing each other for 8 books? Da heck?

Rand and Elayne. They kiss in the stone of tear for 4 days and then 6 books later (the first time they see each other again I believe?) they get down to business. Honestly? Min is also a little strange, but at least they have a somewhat decent amount of time together, and same with Avi, but Elayne is just... ugh.

Also, I identify with Gawyn and Tuon a lot more than other people I think. Egwene is one of my favorite characters, and Gawyn I think is a good match. Tuon I personally believe is perfect for Mat, but most people will want to cut off my head for saying that. Then again I'm also a hopeless romantic so my relationship views in books get heavily skewed by any number of factors. But I adore all the interactions between Tuon and Mat. She has just the right amount of mischief in her.

And also Moraine and Thom is rushed as heck. They're just suddenly in love after not seeing each other for 8 books? Da heck?

The Mat - Tuon romance is one of the best "fleshed out" in the books. It is very enjoyable to read. And they are a good match. Both mischievous, smart, and formidable.

And there seems to be a majority who believe that of Rand's four romances, Elayne is the least degree of "relationship."

Gawyn and Egwene (RJ even named them similarly) is one of my least favorite. I think Egwene deserves someone better than an unstable lunatic who kills on whim and changes allegiances like the seasons. He's sworn to one party or another, each contradicting the previous, every few months. He's just messed up! Egwene had her own share of trauma; but at least she remained sound in mind and focused on her missions and duties.

One pair not on the list are Breane and Lamgwin.

She is one of Dobraine's family members and he has the Dragon's favor so I don't see why she's a "noble come upon hard times". And getting with Lamgwin? Seriously? Cairheinin are the most snobby of the nobility according to Mat (with maybe the exception of Tuon and Berelain). Why would she end up with a low-life bouncer? Even if he's a nice guy, it seems like a relationship of convenience to me. Bugger, I liked Lamgwin.

The Mat - Tuon romance is one of the best "fleshed out" in the books. It is very enjoyable to read. And they are a good match. Both mischievous, smart, and formidable.

And there seems to be a majority who believe that of Rand's four romances, Elayne is the least degree of "relationship."

Gawyn and Egwene (RJ even named them similarly) is one of my least favorite. I think Egwene deserves someone better than an unstable lunatic who kills on whim and changes allegiances like the seasons. He's sworn to one party or another, each contradicting the previous, every few months. He's just messed up! Egwene had her own share of trauma; but at least she remained sound in mind and focused on her missions and duties.

What are we comparing Rand and Elayne too though? I mean come on, how many people have met a person, and got down to business that very night?

Quite a few...

She is one of Dobraine's family members and he has the Dragon's favor so I don't see why she's a "noble come upon hard times". And getting with Lamgwin? Seriously? Cairheinin are the most snobby of the nobility according to Mat (with maybe the exception of Tuon and Berelain). Why would she end up with a low-life bouncer? Even if he's a nice guy, it seems like a relationship of convenience to me. Bugger, I liked Lamgwin.

Bloody hell I never noticed that! Whoa, what's with that?!!?!?!

Dunno but I only thought of it in the last few days because I don't want to vote for anyone else. I'll keep my eyes open when I get up to there in my re-read.

Dunno but I only thought of it in the last few days because I don't want to vote for anyone else. I'll keep my eyes open when I get up to there in my re-read.

It makes me look at that chick in a different light. Is she a spy of some sort?

There were some relationships where I think RJ did it correctly. One I especially like is the development of Rand and Avhienda . We see Rand slowly become more infatuated with Avhienda, but not understanding his feelings. He likes her because she sees him for who he is, not what he is. He accidentally gives her regard gifts, and she reevaluates her anger against him. Additionally, she has to weigh her honor versus her attraction to Rand al'Thor. I rather like how it plays out.

Another good one, is the Tuon and Mat's relationship. We see Mat resign himself to fate. He accepts that he has to marry, and decides to play nice with his future wife. Slowly, over time, he falls for her. We see it all happen.

On the other hand, Rand and Elayne is where RJ really dropped the ball. He hints at their relationship, but doesn't show it very well. I chalk this up to him cramming a lot of events into the Stone of Tear plot. Maybe, he just couldn't flesh it out.

Archived