DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Who else here watches the Big Bang Theory?

RandA lThor

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Found a comment on Reddit that explains why I don't like it better than I did

Because the show isn't for nerds, it's for people who are sort of friends with nerds. All of the humor in the show relies on Sheldon being socially incompetent and just saying random things like "That's crazier than trying to play battletoads!" or "That reminds me of my N64!" or "Blah blah something something Battlestar Gallactica!" I love Community and I love Arrested Development. They are smart shows about dumb people. TBBT is a dumb show about smart people. Those characters are there for the audience to laugh at and make fun of.

Ask yourself, who in TBBT is the audience meant to identify with? The answer is Penny, the friend of the nerds.
The audience is meant to see themselves as Penny, who is bombarded with crazy weirdness all the time from her socially inept friends.
In short, the show is a poor attempt at 'nerd-humor' by simply dropping references, creating intentionally awkward situations, and it has a god-awful laugh track.

Edit: Wanted to add, I think the reason it gets more hate than a lot of clearly worse shows is that is masquerades as pseudo-intellectual. Other shows people watch are obviously low brow, TBBT does a better job of duping the audience into thinking it isn't and therefore is annoying to those of us who can see through that.

My mum likes it because she's got a degree in physics so she understands a lot of the science talk. I know  a lot of Science people that love the show. Meh I don't think I identify with Penny, I like Sheldon because I don't always get social norm's either. Which would be why I hang out here and on my anime forums. I don't get "normal" very well. *shrug* My brother's into comics so all that talk makes him laugh, I think the show has something for everyone. However, to each there own as well. :)

• Community Administrator

Because the show isn't for nerds, it's for people who are sort of friends with nerds. All of the humor in the show relies on Sheldon being socially incompetent and just saying random things like "That's crazier than trying to play battletoads!" or "That reminds me of my N64!" or "Blah blah something something Battlestar Gallactica!" I love Community and I love Arrested Development. They are smart shows about dumb people. TBBT is a dumb show about smart people. Those characters are there for the audience to laugh at and make fun of.

Ask yourself, who in TBBT is the audience meant to identify with? The answer is Penny, the friend of the nerds.
The audience is meant to see themselves as Penny, who is bombarded with crazy weirdness all the time from her socially inept friends.
In short, the show is a poor attempt at 'nerd-humor' by simply dropping references, creating intentionally awkward situations, and it has a god-awful laugh track.

Edit: Wanted to add, I think the reason it gets more hate than a lot of clearly worse shows is that is masquerades as pseudo-intellectual. Other shows people watch are obviously low brow, TBBT does a better job of duping the audience into thinking it isn't and therefore is annoying to those of us who can see through that.

I watch it, and I get a laugh or two out of it. (not as much as HIMYM though).

And I love to just trash them when they screw something up.

But.. At least they aren't the worst when it comes to computers, video games, and just general how technologyactually works.

CSI.. as an example.. is just.. ugggh horrid bad at it.

As a self-identified nerd, I identify with all the male nerds at any given point in time.  The social norms of Sheldon, the inability to speak to women of Raj, the perverted nature of Wolowitz and the nerdy but regular guy Leonard.  I can see features of each in myself.

I would have preferred if Sheldon did show his "brain" in the episode where Leonard and Leslie Winkle have a casual relationship and the argument of string theory vs. quantum loop gravity.  Leslie made a sensible argument and Sheldon derided it.  I know it was done for humour but would have like to heard the counter-proposal.

But.. At least they aren't the worst when it comes to computers, video games, and just general how technologyactually works.

I read on Reddit (an AMA with a TV-writer) that writers do that intentionally as an inside joke to see who can get away with the worst tech writing.

I read on Reddit (an AMA with a TV-writer) that writers do that intentionally as an inside joke to see who can get away with the worst tech writing.

I don't know if thats forgiveable excuse!

Some of  those are just downright...

Horribad...

(also, I can kind of get that... seeing how they are makingthe actors say something... incredibly stupid. :tongue:)

i dont identify at all with Penny; if anything i identify most with Amy tbh or atleast shes the character i'm most like in that series. from the main core, i relate equally to Sheldon and Leonard.

Penny and Raj are propbably the two characters i least identify with, and Raj is the least likable character imo. Penny i tolerate, but i can't say i like her as much as Sheldon or Leonard.

I love the show.  I have watched it since it first came out and I have bought all the seasons when available so I can watch them more than once.  I laugh with them because the nerd humor AND I laugh at them due to the various "just don't get it" moments nerds have, I've had those moments myself so I can relate to the humor of the situation.

I identify with all of the characters but none fully.  

I laughed my arse off when the guys were putting together Penny's new entertainment center and discussing how to install heat sinks and cooling fans because i have done this very same thing when i bought one and attempted to make it better at what it did, never even occurred to me to just get the screw driver and put it together (though unfortunately I didn't have access to the raw materials they did... I made due though).  

I also laugh in the wrong places I think, because I identify with Sheldon's lack of emotional range and I'm sometimes laughing at the people Sheldon is interacting with instead of Sheldon.  My wife finds this highly odd lol

All in all its a great show I think and for a half hour of light humor does a really good job

I have to say that person on Reddit doesn't sound like they've even seen the show. No, the humour doesn't just come from Sheldon just saying random things. A lot of the time the humour comes from him pointing out how ridiculous and bizarre our "social norms" are. Plus, no one is socially perfect. We all have things we're awkward with, so we can all identify to a certain extent. And both my partner and I are kind of nerds, so bang goes the theory that it's meant for non-nerds. And I don't identify with Penny at all really, and I'm female! 

I don't get the redditor's argument at all. I'm not trying to argue with your dislike of the show Nolder, everyone likes different things. I'm a self-proclaimed nerd (and re-proclaimed by many others) and I laugh not purely at any of the characters. In some respects I understand Sheldon and the way his thinks, I enjoy the nerd-humour as I am a part of a lot of that culture, and it isn't just using buzzwords a lot of the stuff is high quality nerd-humour. In-jokes spanning many fandoms and games. Also, I have a friend with asperger's and in many ways can understand the difficult dynamic between Sheldon and Leonard.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i swear, that clip is about as good as the hulk whipping around loki in Avengers. just does not get old.

so, how long before Sheldon and Amy sleep together do you think?? my guess is next season *nods*

I'd say...never. He'd find it to 'icky". :tongue:

lmao, it didn't take long for that rumor to escalate either Knivy :laugh:

i swear, that clip is about as good as the hulk whipping around loki in Avengers. just does not get old.

so, how long before Sheldon and Amy sleep together do you think?? my guess is next season *nods*

I'd say...never. He'd find it to 'icky". :tongue:

meh, they're humanizing Sheldon and he already told Penny and Leondard that eventually him and amy eventually would a few episodes ago.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a fan.

If I identify with anyone it's Leonard.  I'm not a nerd...I'm not even close to being intelligent enough to claim that.  But, growing up, most of my friends would qualify.  I got into D&D at a young age.

I see so many similarities in TBBT and my childhood friends.  Wallo's bravado about women when he has no clue.  Sheldon's extreme intelligence and extreme lack of "common sense." 

I've had those friends.  We used to tease one of our friends about his message machine message.  It sounded like one of those old computerized messages...but it was really his normal speaking voice.  He sounded like a robot.  Highly intelligent. 

Sadly..he went to college and ended up murdering someone in a very bizarre circumstances. 

• 2 months later...

bump cause new episodes started up again  :happy:

i laughed this episode. not the best one they've had but i still foudn the following funny

Lenard: They cancelled Alphas

Sheldon:  What?  but they can't cancel Alpha's it ended on a cliff hanger

*many phone calls later*

Sheldon: is this the creator of Alphas.  Oh good you already sound better than the last guy i talked to.  do you mind telling me how you planned to conclude the ending of Alphas.  Uh huh,  Uh huh; ohh, fascinating.  Yeah that sucked, no wonder you got cancelled

*click*

rotflmao

Archived