DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Why back in my day...

Turin Turambar

For us older folk, and those that sometimes feel old to spout on about how easy kids have it these days and or how hard it was for us back before all these newfangled gadgets came into being.

Back in my day... There was no cable TV with hundreds of channels. And to get reception you had to get the youngest to hold the antenna with one hand and a big piece of aluminum in the other. Being the youngest stunk occasionally.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Back in my day, all we had were land lines. No cell phones at all, hell, personal computers didn't even exist yet. NASA and the military were all that had computers and they were so large, they took up entire buildings.

The only gaming system was the Atari 2600 and I was eight before that was even mass produced. No hand held games at all until I was almost out of high school.

Cable? Non-existent, like Turin we had a total of four channels, NBC, CBS, ABC and PBS. My family had one black and white TV until I was ten, and reception was terrible.

And unlike kids today, the majority of my free time was spent outdoors, the kids in my neighborhood all gathered after our homework was done everyday and played kickball, baseball (with a tennis ball usually), kick the can, or on (gasp) playgrounds.

90% of radio was AM only and I lived for Casey Kasem's America's Top 40 radio show every Saturday morning.

And lastly, I was spanked as a kid when I screwed up. Not abused, but disciplined. Yes, there's a difference people.

It'll be interesting to see how much the world has changed in another thirty years or so.

One of the Twitter accounts I follow posted this tonight:

"I wonder what the future will be like?" Asked my 8 year old. "Better phones, better apps." Answered 6 year old.

Back when I was young, there was no TV in cars. We had to look out the window, listen to music, or play with toys and use our imaginations.

Then I got a little older and received a gameboy advance. This made long distance traveling even funner!!! Until the batteries died >.> Then I was back to having an imagination or staring out the window

For us older folk, and those that sometimes feel old to spout on about how easy kids have it these days and or how hard it was for us back before all these newfangled gadgets came into being.

Back in my day... There was no cable TV with hundreds of channels. And to get reception you had to get the youngest to hold the antenna with one hand and a big piece of aluminum in the other. Being the youngest stunk occasionally.

Back in my day my parents had one TV with color, and it wasn't till I was in my teens till we got another that wasn't black and white. Remote control wasn't anything we had till I was in high school.

Back in my day, all we had were land lines. No cell phones at all, hell, personal computers didn't even exist yet. NASA and the military were all that had computers and they were so large, they took up entire buildings.

THIS.

The only gaming system was the Atari 2600 and I was eight before that was even mass produced. No hand held games at all until I was almost out of high school.

Cable? Non-existent, like Turin we had a total of four channels, NBC, CBS, ABC and PBS. My family had one black and white TV until I was ten, and reception was terrible.

And unlike kids today, the majority of my free time was spent outdoors, the kids in my neighborhood all gathered after our homework was done everyday and played kickball, baseball (with a tennis ball usually), kick the can, or on (gasp) playgrounds.

90% of radio was AM only and I lived for Casey Kasem's America's Top 40 radio show every Saturday morning.

And lastly, I was spanked as a kid when I screwed up. Not abused, but disciplined. Yes, there's a difference people.

Ishy, being spanked as a kid just taught me how much I would never spank any children of my own. Not because I feel it is abuse, but because I consider it counterproductive based on my own experiences. Every time I was spanked, it only made me angry and PO'ed, which led to me committing further breaches of discipline. It did nothing as a deterrent, it only served to worsen the existing issue.

back in my day the atari hadnt come out yet remote controls were called getting the kids up (yes literally GET ON THEIR FEET!) and walk over and change the channel by HAND!!! hears gasps from rand

We also had sunday as laundry listen to records day. hehe i grew up listening to a VERY eclectic lot of music!! OH and we had METAL equipment in our parks with nothing but nice hard ground underneath it!!

back in my day the atari hadnt come out yet remote controls were called getting the kids up (yes literally GET ON THEIR FEET!) and walk over and change the channel by HAND!!! hears gasps from rand

We also had sunday as laundry listen to records day. hehe i grew up listening to a VERY eclectic lot of music!! OH and we had METAL equipment in our parks with nothing but nice hard ground underneath it!!

you had to walk to the TV, half the time I can't even find the controls on the TV!

It'll be interesting to see how much the world has changed in another thirty years or so.

Just ask Nicola.

Or are we past ToM already?

One of the Twitter accounts I follow posted this tonight:

"I wonder what the future will be like?" Asked my 8 year old. "Better phones, better apps." Answered 6 year old.

Don't deny the truth.

And if you wanted your own music collection, you had to buy records.

These, for the young and confused:

records460.jpg

Only confused because I didn't know the English name.

Archived