DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Why back in my day...

Turin Turambar

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

in my day phones were phones. you rented them from ma bell, and they were solid enough to bash someone's brains in. they could be taken apart by any child, and their mysteries easily discovered, and put back together.

we had no MTV. we had the midnight special and dick Clark. we dreamed of being able to watch shows at will, never thinking we'd be free of the network schedule, or be able to record or play back anything... though the eternal search for the life rewind button began long before my day... we used to take snapshots... these are photographs taken with cameras that used film... of someone on tv to capture the moment, with a black horizontal line through it, some artifact of the media...

tv was black and white. ppl who had color before I was thirteen were rich and didn't speak to us. remote control was for toy airplanes, not tv.

we did laundry at the laundry, and used a wringer machine to squeeze the extra water out between washing and drying. when we couldn't afford the laundry we used a washboard in the tub and used a grater to make soap flakes from a bar of soap. and I hung the laundry to dry and brought it back in. in the winter, we could dry things on the radiator.

we had bomb threats every day in kindergarten through grade two, and sometimes the bombs would be real, so we had a walk to the armory every day and then we snuck home.

we wandered the streets, went to parks on our own, the slower among us getting smacked in the head with a good old fashioned metal swing now and then... the daredevils going so high they swing all the way over... we took buses all over the city with no adults attached. we went to coney island in packs and the grown ups were more scared of us there than we wre of them.

but in our homes... in my home, mom ruled, and I knew if I stepped wrong, or brought home a c instead of forging her signature, she would kill me. not figuratively, she would have killed me. or taken away my music for a week, and my tv, which seemed worse.

we had real riots with real killing, and the police either hiding until daylight or killing back. no occupying wall street. running crazy through the blacked out streets smashing into stores and homes stealing and raping and beating and killing. and no convenient cameras to capture anyone in the act, only the very cheap bounty of stolen goods to buy the next week... it's how most of us got color tvs and remote controls.

we saved up for weeks to buy a record we wanted in my day, and we played that record over and over until it was burned into our brains. we washed these records periodically to make them live a little longer, but the diamond needle killed hem a little more every time we played them

and now I shop. good day.

I knew Cindy's post on here was going to be epic :biggrin:

in my day phones were phones. you rented them from ma bell, and they were solid enough to bash someone's brains in. they could be taken apart by any child, and their mysteries easily discovered, and put back together.

we had no MTV. we had the midnight special and dick Clark. we dreamed of being able to watch shows at will, never thinking we'd be free of the network schedule, or be able to record or play back anything... though the eternal search for the life rewind button began long before my day... we used to take snapshots... these are photographs taken with cameras that used film... of someone on tv to capture the moment, with a black horizontal line through it, some artifact of the media...

tv was black and white. ppl who had color before I was thirteen were rich and didn't speak to us. remote control was for toy airplanes, not tv.

we did laundry at the laundry, and used a wringer machine to squeeze the extra water out between washing and drying. when we couldn't afford the laundry we used a washboard in the tub and used a grater to make soap flakes from a bar of soap. and I hung the laundry to dry and brought it back in. in the winter, we could dry things on the radiator.

we had bomb threats every day in kindergarten through grade two, and sometimes the bombs would be real, so we had a walk to the armory every day and then we snuck home.

we wandered the streets, went to parks on our own, the slower among us getting smacked in the head with a good old fashioned metal swing now and then... the daredevils going so high they swing all the way over... we took buses all over the city with no adults attached. we went to coney island in packs and the grown ups were more scared of us there than we wre of them.

but in our homes... in my home, mom ruled, and I knew if I stepped wrong, or brought home a c instead of forging her signature, she would kill me. not figuratively, she would have killed me. or taken away my music for a week, and my tv, which seemed worse.

we had real riots with real killing, and the police either hiding until daylight or killing back. no occupying wall street. running crazy through the blacked out streets smashing into stores and homes stealing and raping and beating and killing. and no convenient cameras to capture anyone in the act, only the very cheap bounty of stolen goods to buy the next week... it's how most of us got color tvs and remote controls.

we saved up for weeks to buy a record we wanted in my day, and we played that record over and over until it was burned into our brains. we washed these records periodically to make them live a little longer, but the diamond needle killed hem a little more every time we played them

and now I shop. good day.

lol... because I older than all of you.

in my day we had candy cigarettes because we weren't allowed to smoke real ones until we were 13.

I looked candy cigarettes up because I did not know what you meant, and I see it was exactly as it sounds - candy shaped like cigarettes. Haha that is neat :biggrin:. I imagine those would taste better than anything to do with an actual cigarette.

In my day, the most fun toy I had was a potato doll - carve a face on a bad potato, stick things on it for hair or limbs, and you have a free action figure! Play with it until it starts stinking :tongue:!

in my day we had potato guns, which shoot pieces of potatoes but are not made of potatoes.

candy cigs also came in chocolate and were very good, but for proper smoke simulation we used punks, which I believe are now called incense sticks...

yes, these are all better than anything to do with tobacco.

but the brand recognition training starts early.

for some reason this reminds me that in my day we had to light the gas stove with a match, or in grandmas case sometimes a cig, and it would occasionally blow your eyebrows off.

Naw, it's cause you've always had such a nostalgic streak in you. Speaking of which, mebbe you should start another Bob thread :smile:

Naw, it's cause you've always had such a nostalgic streak in you. Speaking of which, mebbe you should start another Bob thread :smile:

a little too depressed for bob, perhaps the bay city rollers :)

The candy cigs I remember were a hard sugary thing wrapped in paper. There was a small amount of air space around so if you blew gently "smoke" would come out the end. Corn starch I think but it looked neat to an 8 year old.

the chocolate ones could be found very rarely in the markets on the lower east side and were a very pecially treat.

in my day we bought chicklets for the false teeth, the gum, and the cellophane kazoo.

a little too depressed for bob, perhaps the bay city rollers :)

Got it started up: http://www.dragonmount.com/forums/topic/71603-official-bay-city-rollers-listening-thread/

:biggrin:

Archived