DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Dirge of Onosia (Advanced) Mafia - Day 3

mcs0083

Now that you are in the game@Despo, I don't really think there is any need for me to spam to keep it alive lol. Ithiceratops was just the most fun ever though lol. I never really knew what the Mafia team thought of it, but I know Red loved it. Of course when I thought it up I was expecting to get lynched on Day 1 hahaha.

Did we not mention it on the QT? We may have mentioned it in game, but you wouldn't have known it was us at the time :baalzamon:. I personally loved it :biggrin:.

No Des, I'm not mafia. Just uber involved in the Wombat game (sorry MCS :blush:). If you noticed in your reread, I thought about a replacement, but then Ishy asked me to stay, so I did.

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now that you are in the game@Despo, I don't really think there is any need for me to spam to keep it alive lol. Ithiceratops was just the most fun ever though lol. I never really knew what the Mafia team thought of it, but I know Red loved it. Of course when I thought it up I was expecting to get lynched on Day 1 hahaha.

Did we not mention it on the QT? We may have mentioned it in game, but you wouldn't have known it was us at the time :baalzamon:. I personally loved it :biggrin:.

Yeah we all loved it lol.

No Des, I'm not mafia. Just uber involved in the Wombat game (sorry MCS :blush:). If you noticed in your reread, I thought about a replacement, but then Ishy asked me to stay, so I did.

Ahh true. But then again, and this is kind of embarrassing to admit but it's true, I'm usually suspicious of players that get replaced. A lot of times it ends up being someone on the mafia team that felt they would let their team down cause they couldn't be active enough.

Uh, I have other things to be doing, but since it hopefully won't take me too long I'm gonna go ahead and read through the thread and if there's anything of interest to me, I'll point it out. I'm not terribly optimistic, though, cos the whole smiley lynch thing ended up not really giving much info, except to lead people at Tiink, and as he was SK, he didn't have any teammates so his death doesn't give us much info on anyone still alive.

BUT, I shall see what there is to see. XD

Even the check in is slow in this game, so I guess I'll start off with what I think we may be looking at. 16 players means (usually) 4 baddies. That sounds like we'll have a 3 person scum team and either a SK or a Cult Leader. I'm not familiar with the source material (I'm assuming it is a book, so I'm not sure which of the third party would be more likely in this scenario. Any thoughts?

I remember MC saying that this was his own original material, so no one is going to be familiar with it. But your analysis sounds about right to me. And of course, BG is all three scum members AND the SK.

/it is known.

I think I could cook up a fake claim to support that if I put my heart to it.

Before I articulate thoughts about anything else--I LOVED THIS. :laugh:

First batch.

Even the check in is slow in this game, so I guess I'll start off with what I think we may be looking at. 16 players means (usually) 4 baddies. That sounds like we'll have a 3 person scum team and either a SK or a Cult Leader. I'm not familiar with the source material (I'm assuming it is a book, so I'm not sure which of the third party would be more likely in this scenario. Any thoughts?

Bumping this because even though it could be honest speculation (MCS DID say it's an advanced game), I do find it interesting that his very first thought looked like it might be spot-on. Granted, I don't actually know what the size of the scum team is, but as I think there have already been a couple of vanilla deaths (if I'm wrong I'll correct myself later, I'm still reading :tongue:), I don't imagine the mafia team would be much bigger than Aemon's suggestion, since the town would need some pretty good guns to counter that.

Point being, I'm not gonna say this makes me suspect Aemon, but I do want to keep an eye on this--maybe he's scum and guessed there'd be a third-party or cult because his team is smaller than anticipated.

Don't see why you're trying to speculate on anti-town setup with absolutely nothing to go on except your own role. Speaking of roles, I should go check mine. >.>

(I don't even know if I'm Town or scum yet)

I might have to go back to my old color for this entire game if I interact with Locke much. XD Don't want to be confusing. :tongue:

I remember other people commenting on this, and mayhaps I'll end up being redundant, but for what it's worth, my thoughts:

1) I do think Locke has a point here. Granted, there are people who do that without having ulterior motives, but I'm used to seeing that sort of setup talk after a death or two, at least. Or when people know the source material, which I think we can all agree we don't. :laugh:

2) Mr. Locke is certainly one who would post in a game to comment on stuff without knowing his role. :tongue: Seems like instead of taking his time to comment that he didn't know his role, he could have just gone and read it, though. It seems like a strange move to make as scum, telling us he didn't know his role when (for it to be a scum move) he would in actuality already know it, and it did get some attention, so for now I'm inclined to think he was just being himself. :laugh:

Ah, now I do. VOTE Aemon because I haven't played with you in forever. Same for Pale, but he already has his own cozy little vote.

You read that fast ...

How long does it take YOU to read your role pm? It didn't take me that long to read mine, once I'd received it. XD

You think he was lying?

Second batch:

suggestion:

we try a vote of no lynch or pile our votes on one inactive person that has at least checked in

both options kind of favor the mafia but I'm bored and waiting around for a modkill (which also favors the mafia anyway) is not exactly my idea of fun

There were other things you could have been doing. No lynch, if you had offered it as a serious option and not just to move the game along, would probably have garnered some discussion, but billed as "I'm bored let's do something," it doesn't accomplish much.

And the whole "let's pile our votes on one inactive person" just reeks of trying for an easy lynch to get to the night phase without much info.

I get that the game has been dragging along due to inactivity, but there were definitely other options than what you suggested, and what you led. For example, instead of all the joking banter staying lighthearted, why didn't you throw a vote on someone who did anything even remotely scummy? "Oh, you're speculating on setup, that's scummy, let's lynch you." If people did that, you'd have gotten better results.

Since there were other options than the two you suggested, and I know you're experienced enough to be aware of how games work, I find it very suspect that you offered two options that would basically not do anything helpful at all for the town. And followed through on it, no less. You get an FoS from me for this.

Sorry for the triple post - don't see the multiquote function on my phone.

I agree with aemon on lack of inactivities

lack of inactivities? Seems like we have too many.

I'm not sure who s/he is, but it's curious why s/he hasn't checked in but has been active elsewhere. Along with the rest of you, vote Smiley.

Didn't think much of this when it popped up, but on reread, this pinged. If Key doesn't know who Smiley is, then there's next to no chance that she's interacted with him elsewhere, ever. So, how does she know whether or not he's been active elsewhere? It seems like she was taking Ithi's word for it that Smiley'd been posting in other places with some regularity. I'm not going to push this so far at this point as to say Ithi and Key are connected, but it looked like scum taking a great opportunity for an easy bandwagon.

Didn't think much of this when it popped up, but on reread, this pinged. If Key doesn't know who Smiley is, then there's next to no chance that she's interacted with him elsewhere, ever. So, how does she know whether or not he's been active elsewhere? It seems like she was taking Ithi's word for it that Smiley'd been posting in other places with some regularity. I'm not going to push this so far at this point as to say Ithi and Key are connected, but it looked like scum taking a great opportunity for an easy bandwagon.[/color]

Yeah, because I'd be that obvious if I was a scum teammate.

It's called looking at his profile and clicking "posts". I try to do that before I vote for inactives in mafia games, to see if they haven't been on at all (then I cut them a little slack), or if they've been on but just not playing.

Third batch:

Unvote

Seems to have done the trick and drawn him out. Who else needs to be dealt with?

Agreed. We were trying to lure out the inactives, not actually lynch one. Jeez. Unvote, vote Tiink

I'm not entirely sure what I think about these yet, but as they stuck out to me, I'm quoting them.

Okay, no, after some thought what stuck out to me is more Kae's post than Ithi's. It's clear that a few people misunderstood Nolder's intent in suggesting that everyone pile on an inactive who had checked in (see next quote), but Kae's post looked overdone.

Agreed. We were trying to lure out the inactives, not actually lynch one. Jeez. Unvote, vote Tiink

you don't threaten people with an unloaded gun, not how it works

interesting that you'd go so far as to unvote Smiley and vote Tink for doing the same thing you did

what's the difference between your vote and his vote?

Unvote: No Lynch

Vote: Smiley

I also would like a reason not to lynch you

it's mighty convenient that you could check back in just when the votes start piling on don't you think?

I dislike this. At that point on D1, with some spam and not much real discussion of anything worthwhile going on, the only thing Smiley could have done to convince people not to lynch him would have been to claim, with a power role or something. Like, saying "I'm vanilla" wouldn't have done it. There wasn't much info he could have dug up to contribute. I don't feel like you were really trying here, Nolder--I think you were going through the motions so as not to appear too eager to get to night phase by lynching whoever happened to be singled out first.

you don't threaten people with an unloaded gun, not how it works

interesting that you'd go so far as to unvote Smiley and vote Tink for doing the same thing you did

what's the difference between your vote and his vote?

Unvote: No Lynch

Vote: Smiley

I also would like a reason not to lynch you

it's mighty convenient that you could check back in just when the votes start piling on don't you think?

Reeks of trying to protect a scummate my friend.

Vote Nolder.

I'll tell you what it reeks of

it reeks of being frustrated with the way people play around here

what use are threats when everyone knows that you wont go through with them?

why would anyone bother to make a case when it's the people who talk who always seem to get shafted around here?

DM mafia encourages boring laggy play and it's irritating me that every game I'm in always drags and drags

you guys are right though

we should just sit around and wait for the deadline to roll in and condemn anyone who seriously talks about lynching someone

that's just how the game works around here right?

here let me help

Unvote

Emo sums that up...I can't tell whether it's honest or mock frustration, but regardless, I really think that this whole fit was pointless. For DM as a whole, I could kind of understand your frustration, but referring specifically to this game, you had like one serious vote on you and all of a sudden "it's the people who talk who always seem to get shafted around here" and "we should just sit around and...condemn anyone who seriously talks about lynching someone". I mean, Smiley wasn't saying much, and look how well that worked out for him.

I think you were way overreacting, if this was serious.

Didn't think much of this when it popped up, but on reread, this pinged. If Key doesn't know who Smiley is, then there's next to no chance that she's interacted with him elsewhere, ever. So, how does she know whether or not he's been active elsewhere? It seems like she was taking Ithi's word for it that Smiley'd been posting in other places with some regularity. I'm not going to push this so far at this point as to say Ithi and Key are connected, but it looked like scum taking a great opportunity for an easy bandwagon.[/color]

Yeah, because I'd be that obvious if I was a scum teammate.

It's called looking at his profile and clicking "posts". I try to do that before I vote for inactives in mafia games, to see if they haven't been on at all (then I cut them a little slack), or if they've been on but just not playing.

Ooooh, the claws come out.

First off, I did try to make it clear I wasn't saying you were teammates with Ithi. Nothing so far to point to that. Scum can sheep town as well as they can sheep teammates, last I checked.

Secondly, I haven't looked at Smiley's profile myself, so I don't know if it has his gender there, but I'm imagining it does, so forgive me if I'm a tad skeptical. Still, reading too much into someone's activity as compared to the rest of DM is really pretty meta (not that I'm opposed to it, in general), and again, it seemed pretty opportunistic.

Ack, and I also meant to add on there that as far as the meta thing goes, everyone who uses it should take care to be reasonable about it. Like, since in hindsight we know it wasn't scummish lurking that Smiley was doing, we can conclude that there were other reasons for activity elsewhere but not in the thread. Those reasons would have been just as valid before we knew his alignment as after, and that's what we should all keep in mind. Voting someone solely on meta is an iffy move at best.

Claws? Lol, I was just answering you.

So looking at activity is meta? I don't agree with that. It's not looking across games, it's checking to see if someone is really inactive because they haven't touched the site, a la something happened in their real life, or if it's just disregarding the game.

So looking at activity is meta? I don't agree with that. It's not looking across games, it's checking to see if someone is really inactive because they haven't touched the site, a la something happened in their real life, or if it's just disregarding the game.

Fair enough; it seemed kinda snarky to me, though. :tongue:

Looking at activity is not meta, no. Looking at activity and saying "this person posted elsewhere so there's something wrong with him not posting here so I will vote him" is meta, in my opinion.

I can accept that you wanted to make sure he wasn't just totally gone before voting him, so I'll give you that, at least.

For the rest, my opinion stands. :laugh:

**And for the record, I'm coming up on page 7 now... *bigsigh*

I might have to call it quits soon because I haven't gotten any of my huge amount of schoolwork done.**

I dislike this. At that point on D1, with some spam and not much real discussion of anything worthwhile going on, the only thing Smiley could have done to convince people not to lynch him would have been to claim, with a power role or something.

so?

that's kind of how it goes when you're inactive in mafia

For DM as a whole, I could kind of understand your frustration, but referring specifically to this game, you had like one serious vote on you and all of a sudden "it's the people who talk who always seem to get shafted around here" and "we should just sit around and...condemn anyone who seriously talks about lynching someone". I mean, Smiley wasn't saying much, and look how well that worked out for him.

it was poorly put

I shouldn't have said the people who talk

a lot of people talk sometimes

it's people who try to get the game going

god forbid you put a second or third vote on someone on day 1

mafia, town, or third party this is how I really feel about games here

it's extremely frustrating at times

especially if I have a role I would rather sit back with and try to stay out of the spotlight

it's like

ok...that's what everyone else is doing too

they can't ALL be cop/doc/whatever so what's the deal?

a lot of people that play mafia on DM are just...lazy when they play

it's like it's just a game of "let me use my night power if I'm alive" and less a game of catching mafia or outwitting those who are searching for you

idk I didn't mean for this to turn into a rant sorry

guess I have a lot of pent up anger about this lol

I don't like this sort of thing because personally there are times when I'm just tired or upset and I don't want to deal with a mafia game

it has nothing to do with my role I just want to deal with THE GAME you know?

so like I don't fault people for being active elsewhere but not in the game

or...well to a certain degree

if the deadline was like a week long and they only posted once or something that's a different story

but I still try to focus on the INactivity in the game not the activity elsewhere

Batch 4:

I can't believe the Smiley train got derailed. The point was not to draw out an inactive. The point was to lynch an inactive and get the game moving. Now that he has no pressure on him he is no longer posting and we have two trains that are going nowhere. It seems like people really WANT this to go to random.

This did and still does seem pretty reasonable, the way it's worded. I agree that at that later point it seemed very odd to jump off and look for other fish to fry.

I still have to kind of take issue with "let's lynch an inactive to get the game moving," because that really doesn't get the town much info at all, but once you're on that course, it really does more good to follow through than to wander off elsewhere and risk not arriving at any destination at all.

I never wanted to lynch an inactive, I wanted to get people posting. Lynching someone when all we have had is a little spam and chit chat won't really give us that much information ... that would be very lazy play IMO. MCS has given us a decent deadline and I would rather use that to question folk and figure stuff than play blind. I always prefer to check my cards and watch for tells and betting patterns when I play poker :wink: Perhaps you prefer Bingo :tongue:

Ithi makes solid points here, but the key thing that she's missing is that the deadline is looming at this point and there is NO TIME for any of the stuff she suggests. I'd imagine that's why her leap off of Smiley looked suspicious at the time.

I can't believe the Smiley train got derailed. The point was not to draw out an inactive. The point was to lynch an inactive and get the game moving. Now that he has no pressure on him he is no longer posting and we have two trains that are going nowhere. It seems like people really WANT this to go to random.

I'm pretty sure the majority of us that were voting for him were just looking to draw him out. Lynching an inactive is a bit like having a random kill - which is good for neither side. Unless you know something we don't about his alignment...

I also disagree that we have two trains going nowhere. Each has about half of the required amount of votes, which definitely leaves either up for the lynching at the end of today. We *do* need people posting though, in order to achieve that, so I can see your frustration.

Smiley was voted for because he was inactive, now he's shown up, so why would we keep voting for him? That's backwards. Now if you wanted to look at how he jumped on the Tiink vote right away, but only after BG started it, that's something interesting. (Smiley - get to posting some game content please now that you're here :wink:.)

Tiink has a reason, albeit it's not the best, for us to vote for him so why not switch to him? Or to another inactive then if you'll all about lynching inactives.

Bold--I always like this point. Inactives are good lynches when the town can't agree on a lynch candidate and they'll be modkilled anyway, or else when there is a very good chance that they are scum (like if you're nearing endgame and you're having a hard time finding anything scummy at all about the active players).

For the rest--totally makes sense, but like you said, you need people posting to achieve a lynch, and with the deadline mere hours away at that point, how on earth could anyone guarantee that there was going to be a controlled lynch? All this stuff is awesome in theory and great in practice when there's time for it, but in this case, there really just wasn't a place for competing trains and more info-garnering votes.

Although, I have to admit, deadline-lynching Smiley wasn't much better than going random. The only difference is that you weren't risking an important town role by lynching him. Which is still a good thing to avoid.

So, the deadline is in roughly 6 hours. I understand not wanting to lynch someone who becomes active, but what exactly did he say that the pressure should have been let off so quickly? And where has he disappeared to now?What we have are a few votes on Smiley and a few votes on Tinker and neither of them feeling enough pressure to actually talk. At this point it will definitely be on of these 2 if we actually reach a majority and because there will be no time to change should one of them speak up and give us a cause not to lynch him, we will go to random. Pressure should have been kept on Smiley until he gave a reason to take the pressure off.

Lot of argument for a Smiley lynch. Generally I support this, with the way things stood at the time of this post. Y'all were cutting it really close.

Still, like I said with Nolder, I think, there wasn't much Smiley could have said to get a lynch headed elsewhere if everyone had behaved in your ideal manner, so it's strange that you still want to call it "pressure" instead of just "a lynch." Because, ultimately, that's all you really wanted.

**And yeah, I think I'm just going to stop at the end of Day 1 for now. I really don't have time to finish this atm. I wasn't expecting it to take this long. I legit didn't think there was going to be this much to comment on. XD**

I dislike this. At that point on D1, with some spam and not much real discussion of anything worthwhile going on, the only thing Smiley could have done to convince people not to lynch him would have been to claim, with a power role or something.

so?

that's kind of how it goes when you're inactive in mafia

For DM as a whole, I could kind of understand your frustration, but referring specifically to this game, you had like one serious vote on you and all of a sudden "it's the people who talk who always seem to get shafted around here" and "we should just sit around and...condemn anyone who seriously talks about lynching someone". I mean, Smiley wasn't saying much, and look how well that worked out for him.

it was poorly put

I shouldn't have said the people who talk

a lot of people talk sometimes

it's people who try to get the game going

god forbid you put a second or third vote on someone on day 1

mafia, town, or third party this is how I really feel about games here

it's extremely frustrating at times

especially if I have a role I would rather sit back with and try to stay out of the spotlight

it's like

ok...that's what everyone else is doing too

they can't ALL be cop/doc/whatever so what's the deal?

a lot of people that play mafia on DM are just...lazy when they play

it's like it's just a game of "let me use my night power if I'm alive" and less a game of catching mafia or outwitting those who are searching for you

idk I didn't mean for this to turn into a rant sorry

guess I have a lot of pent up anger about this lol

Yeah, I can tell. XD

I don't like this sort of thing because personally there are times when I'm just tired or upset and I don't want to deal with a mafia game

if the deadline was like a week long and they only posted once or something that's a different story

but I still try to focus on the INactivity in the game not the activity elsewhere

I do actually agree with pretty much all of this. Sometimes I really just don't have it in me to play at that point in time. I know I've done that, where I'm online, with nothing better to do, and I just spam. For hours. And I could be rereading a mafia game or responding to posts there or thinking about it or taking notes or something, but I really just don't want to. If I tried, nothing would really come of it. And saying "Oh, she's posting a LOT, but ignoring the game, so there must be some sinister reason she doesn't want to post here" is just unfair, unless you have strong reason to believe I'm avoiding the thread because of what's going on there and my role and stuff. Like if I'm taking heat there for something I said or did. :laugh:

I looked at his activity elsewhere because the game had been going for three days and he hadn't even checked in.

Fair enough; it seemed kinda snarky to me, though. :tongue:

It wasn't meant to :blush:. I guess because I was on my phone I just shortened it to the bare minimum I needed to say. Sorry.

Archived