DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Caught off guard today...

2RiversFan

How many readers / fans of WOT do you suppose there are? 500k? 1 Million? More? Aside from the social circles that each of us have, you normally don't find evidence of WOT fans - I normally don't at any rate.

I started this topic because today I happened to see a " Tai'shar Malkier! " bumper sticker on a vehicle while I was driving. (That's a first for me)

I'm wondering if that driver/WOT fan is a member on these boards? The area where I saw the vehicle with the bumper sticker was on Campbell Road at Hwy 190 on the Richardson and Garland city boundaries. (suburbs of Dallas Texas) - FYI everyone else.

Anyone else ever have one of those moments, the one that make you say to yourself, "Hey wait a minute, I'm not on the DM boards now, and I'm not holding a book in my hand, but right there it says Tai'shar Malkier!... ??

I have only 1 friend that is a huge fan, and she has the tattoo to prove it! So far I've been unsuccessful in getting friends to read it, but I think I'm finally wearing one down. She's really liked my other recommendations, but a 14 book (and 1 novella) series is pretty intimidating to people used to a trilogy format.

I've run into people reading the books now and then. One time I saw a guy reading The Fires of Heaven in a gas station and talked to him about WoT for around ten minutes or so.

similar story happened to me but it was in a tire shop

also I have lent most of my friends the books, two of my friends are trying to finish book 1 now... I'm less than impressed at their rate of consumption, but haven't defriended them yet :P

While working at Gonzaga U. I befriended a co-worker who asked me to remodel his basement.

He gave me a house tour and, in his study he had the complete (at that time) collection in hardback. Needless to say, we never ran out of things to talk about.

I have recently become semi-addicted to Skyrim.

Many people who play the game have made characters to resemble Rand, Mat and, Perrin. Also Moridin, Fain, Mordeth etc.

I've had two pretty interesting path crossings with WOT fans. The first was when I was in jail a few years ago. A white, Muslim guy, in for dealing, asked me if he could borrow the books after I was done. Books are a big deal in jail, and I had the first five. I'll never forget how big he smiled and said, "I love fantasy man." He said he had read part of EOTW, but didn't get to finish it. He asked if it was the one where they "burn his dad's farm in the beginning?" I smiled and said yea. I let him borrow them till he got transferred then let other people borrow them. I ended up leaving them inside, hopefully they are still there making new fans and hopefully helping some guys out.

The second was with a woman who responded to a post I made on a BDSM site about the series. We exchanged a few messages about the subtle and not so subtle dominant/submissive themes permeating the series.

I've had one or two more random meetings with other fans, but those were the type that help you remember you never quite know where you might find them.

Archived