DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Slow start in eye of the world...

Divine

Wait till you get to CoT....

Sorry, already finished Towers of Midnight, having reread the full series between The Gathering Storm and Towers.

And will likely reread it all again before A Memory of Light Now (Finished that full reread in the summer in preparation for AMoL next month before realising it was delayed)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But this "Ravens" chapter even before the prologue is bad imo. It doesn't really make the story better. Just for the fans.

Oh no, I loved it. Naturally, it's not a good entering point into the series (nor do I think NS would serve well in that capacity), but it's awesome nonetheless. Little Egwene is so hilarious.

The first 4 chapters seem slow because Robert Jordan is introducing no less than 11 characters, each with their own little back-story: Rand, Tam, Mat, Perrin, Egwene, Thom, Moiraine, Lan, Padan Fain, and various Emonds Fielders, not to mention a lot of world-shaping and even an awesome story from a thousand years before. By the end of those 4 chapters, the reader really understands the Two Rivers and feels safe there, which is why it's such a brilliant setup for the events of Winternight. If you really think about it, it's pretty amazing how much he accomplished in only those first four chapters.

After the 4th chapter, the pacing is incredible. tEotW is the best paced book in the whole series.

The first 4 chapters seem slow because Robert Jordan is introducing no less than 11 characters, each with their own little back-story: Rand, Tam, Mat, Perrin, Egwene, Thom, Moiraine, Lan, Padan Fain, and various Emonds Fielders, not to mention a lot of world-shaping and even an awesome story from a thousand years before. By the end of those 4 chapters, the reader really understands the Two Rivers and feels safe there, which is why it's such a brilliant setup for the events of Winternight. If you really think about it, it's pretty amazing how much he accomplished in only those first four chapters.

After the 4th chapter, the pacing is incredible. tEotW is the best paced book in the whole series.

My feelings exactly.

Nice slow build up, great detail with future hooks, feeling relaxed and then BAM!!! The whirlwind begins.

All this was enhanced imo, by Rand's own disbelief at the situation.

I find the beginning of the Eye of the World slow. Am I an inexperienced reader?

That being said there are points to be made here--one literature has been speeding up to keep up with the attention spans of modern readers. The beginning of the Eye is written akin to LotR, which also has a slow start--there are benefits to that, a greater chance to connect with the character, and the developmental work of cinematic writing in creating a world... but yeah it's slow.

Incidentally I don't reguard CoT as particularily slow, for all that it lacks in big events, theres still a lot of stuff going on.

In preparation for MoL I have begun my reread of the series. Yes, the beginning of EotW is rather slow. It focuses greatly on walking us through the village of Edmond's Field and introducing readers to the inhabitants. Is it worth beginning the book this way? Sure, but it's rather dull. Fortunately the book picks up not long after.

Its been so long since I read it for the first time, I cannot remember if I thought it was slow. I dont think it was,what I can remember that stuck out for me back then was the Fade on the road and Rand feelings towards it, excellant stuff and its actually one of my favourite scenes in the whole series.

It was also only the third fantasy book I had ever read up to that point, the others being The Hobbit and Lord of The Rings, so I guess if I was ever to feel the beginning was a slow burning would of been then.

I think the problem people have is there no big action scene. Look at Way of Kings, with the killing of the king and even Steel Remains by Richard Morgan, with the corpse mite/louse. Both start with action to nab the readers.

So maybe if Lan just beat up a random bunch of bandits on the road would of helped the people who found it slow.

As a first read, EotW was quite the action packed book as to how characters evolved and all the small happenings during their quest towards the blight. Also the fact that you realise how little you know about the world makes it that more interesting.

As to the start, the first 100 pages are seldom more then character introducing when reading fantasy epics...

As a REREAD, when you have already read all the other books or at least 10, it starts to feel like nothing is really happening. I think it is because what is in the first read perceived as an amusing little detour, becomes a hinderance to the progression of the series during the reread, since you already have the general idea of what is going to happen. Also the fact that the infuence the main characters have on the world grows throughout the series makes all problems and actions seem petty and unimportant.

My favourite books while I read them the first time are TOTALLY different from the books I enjoy rereading the most. And most of the people on this forum. (general wheel of time) I assume to have read the series at least once already

I found teotw slow at first.

I bought it based on the back blurb and the slither of picture I had on the back (Orbit Cover).

Tried to start reading and didnt make it as far as the Trollocs the first time

Set it down for months? a year? not sure.

2nd time was the charm and as soon as I hit the trollocs I was good.

I didnt know what was going on in the prologue lol. It was kinda cool but at that time I was bewildered.

Whats this ravens chapter? Can i read it online? ebook?

Too slow? The first pages of the book showcase when Lews Therin killed his entire family, friends, etc. and destroyed himself to make Dragonmount with a promise that the Dragon will one day return.

Then, a few pages into the first chapter, Rand see's the Fade. Then it is character introducing time, which every movie, book, story has. This goes on for what, 30 pages? Then your on your way back to Tam Al' Thor's farm which suddenly turns into a battlefield, where shortly Rand learns he was not born in the Two Rivers. Then, it all goes from there. Non-stop from start to end.

No, in my opinion, perfectly paced book. Characters have to be fleshed out so you can understand them later. A book has to begin with a strong setting with strong characters with some background and history or else you may as well make movies.

But if you want to see slow. See Book 7-10. 1-6 are pretty darn fast paced. In a Robert Jordan kind of way. Faced paced story laced with 200 pages of descriptions of walls and peoples expressions.

Yea, Jordan should have considered strippers dancing on the Green and circles of cocaine around the village with the traditional sport of seeing who can clear their line first.. oh and Russell Brand pissing in the Winespring.

I want to read THIS book!

...wait. Who is Russell Brand? I've read and read this series several times, I dont recall the name...

I usualy read the pre-breaking prologue because Ishmail is one of my favorite characters (he's awesome in his nihilistic maddness) but skip past most of the shire folk--i mean Two Rivers folk bumbling arround the world. Actualy I can skim most of the first book in a couple hours to get back into the swing of things for a more in-depth re-read.

As a continuing reader, yes, it's nice to look back on how simple and different they use to be. As a newly introduced reader, however, no. It wasn't exactly a "hook".. I wasn't even hooked until we found out that Nynaeve could channel (twist!). When I first started reading WoT, this slow start up almost discouraged me from reading the rest of the series.

Anyone find themselves enjoying the "slow-ness" in question, when it comes to re-reads?

I find more entertainment value in the sense of fear, unknown & mysterious. Like with the Fade stalking down Rand & Tam...As opposed to the present, in ToM for instance, where if somebody saw a Fade they'd probably laugh, if they hadn't already blown it to pieces or however you like your fade slain.

In all fairness it is no slower than the start of the Lord of the Rings. I mean I love Lord of the Rings, but the detail going into Bilbo's party was a bit dull. At least Jordan gives us Trollocs to interrupt the party here. What does Tolkien give us, the Sackville-Baggins.

If you want to just get into the action in a series go read Malazan. I think if it's a choice of seeping in or jumping right to the explosions without any sense of the characters I prefer WoT's introduction to Malazan's (and I love Malazan btw). Considering how many people stop reading Malazan after the first 50 pages cause they don't understand what's happening or who the characters are.

I stopped reading after three books because I had no idea what was happening or who the characters were. Or more precisely, I didn't care for any of the characters. They walked on, they strutted and fretted their hour on the stage, and then were heard no more. A somewhat similar series, also by a Canadian, is The Prince of Nothing by R. Scott Bakker. The difference is that I care about the characters in the Prince of Nothing. Even though they're all nasty, cruel, evil backstabbing bastards, I'm given reasons to care about them. Achamian in particular is an incredibly sympathetic character, but Esmenet and Kellhus are no slouches. I didn't feel like I had any particular reason to care about where characters in Malazan were from or where they were going.

The Wheel of Time opens slowly, yes. But that slow opening provides grounding. We see Rand as a shepherd, before the Pattern starts driving him hard towards his destiny. We see where the heroes come from, giving us a starting point to see where and how they grow. And best of all, how they don't grow.

Rand starts out as being responsible and dependable, determined to do the right thing. Mat is mischievous, and looking to shirk responsibility if he's not dragged into it. Perrin is slow and deliberate in what he says and does, and he follows Rand and Mat rather than acting as a leader. Later, as we see Rand break himself on the anvil of his sense of duty, Mat grow a little older and wiser and more responsible (even if he would deny it, loudly), and Perrin's stubborn refusal to step into a leadership role, we're seeing the evolution of traits displayed in the very first chapters. That knowledge of where they've been makes where they are and where they go much more satisfying.

• 2 weeks later...

It's no mystery that the most common complaint with book 1 was the incredibly slow beginning, and it got me wondering... I would like to say that it was a near perfect book, but I am wondering if it would have been better if the beginning had been written differently or if it set the stage for the grand adventure that took place. I would like to hear your opinions :)

It didn't feel slow to me. Every part of it was interesting and laid important groundwork for the series.

And if I had heard it I'd respomd like I do when people critisize Stephen King novels or starting slow. "He lays out alot of descriptions, details & builds the story before things really take off"

I gotta say, I thought the whole book was kinda slow. Not in bad way, and I really enjoy it now, with the perspective of all that happens afterwards. But whenever I'm trying to get friends into the series I have to be like, "No believe me! It gets really interesting!" I also remember being convinced that WoT was just going to be one of those books where no one would ever have sex or drink, ever. I know RJ was sorta trying to make people comfortable by making it feel LotR-esque, but imo he did too good a job, and it's really misleading considering the series isn't much like LotR at all.

Story-wise I don't think it was slow. But I seem to remember there being a lot of description. Now in later books I don't mind this so much, but in the opening chapters of the first books it was slightly annoying. Also Rand dragging Tam to the village seemed to take for ever.

when i first read the eye of the world in 94 or 95 i clearly remember how slow the first post prologue chapters were. i was also 11 years old.... soooo.... dragging.... out.... every.... bit..... telling... me..... all... the.... detail.....

but then i would remember the prologue, and i would dedicate myself again to trying to figure that mess out. its funny because its been 16 years now, and while i think i understand the prologue itself, the two prophecies at the end still escape me. but i know they have to be the most important. because jordan basically wrote that prologue and the last chapter at the same time.

rand by many accounts now has justice, but when will he sing to the land? yah that prologue still makes me read more, and read it again. except now i cry when i read it.

First of all, slow doesn't mean bad. Tolkien has slow starts, and he IS the CREATOR of fantasy. If Tolkien was the Dark One, Jordan was his hand (a.k.a. Shaidar Haran)in this world for a while.

Personally I like the infodumps of worldbuilding in the beginning. The prologue is the best ever! There are still some mysterious bits in this prologue that will play role in the end of aMoL. The trolloc attack on EF was just in time, maybe even a chapter earlier than I expected something like this may happen. When I first started tEotW, I just couldn't get my eyes off the book until I finished it.

The start was OK. The end of tEotW is the only reason why I don't place this book as my top favourite of the series.

*chuckle*

The fantasy genre goes back a LOT LOT furrther than Tolkien.

Thanks for reminding me! ;) And let's hope the genre will continue the genre will continue a LOT® L(W)OT further in the future!

P.S. I have made a habit of going off-topic these days... I hope the admins will not draw a dragon fang on my profile

Archived