DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Least Favorite Character

The ones I dislike the most are Faile and Gawyn. Faile, for obvious reasons of jealousy and harping on Perrin for stupid reasons. Gawyn because he became a jerk right after he led the Younglings to kill the older Warders (something he got of too easy on, I always thought). He kept trying to change Egwene and Elayne's minds about Rand etc., when he had no clue basically what was going on. And he hated Rand just because he was doing things that Gawyn thought he should be doing instead.

• Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just remembered Gawyn. He has to be perhaps my least favorite character. I loved that he was absent for most of the series, but here I am reading TGS. Something really interesting had just happened

Semirhage died

And then we shift over to...Gawyn. EWWW!

Galad, too. Such a snooze. These "manly" men just annoy me. By extent, I don't care much for Gareth Bryne either, but at least he's more noble and likeable than those two.

And Perrin's chapters bored me for a while (between PoD and KoD). They had some slightly interesting points, but mostly they were bogged down with his devotion to find Faile and with his knot making. Blegh.

I also never cared for Luca. That was my least favorite part of TFoH.

I know they get a lot of hate, but I like all of the Forsaken...well, not really Be'lal because I never got to know him. BUT today I finally got to

Semirhage's death

and she annoyed me. I was starting to like her more and mroe because she was finally in the books after being away for so long, with a cameo performance here and there. She came in in KoD and nearly killed Rand, so my respect for her went up, although her failure mitigated it somewhat, especially as she wasn't supposed to be trying to kill Rand to begin with. But I loved her backstory, all the torments she describes, her constant reminder to her captors that she will kill them. For a while, I was so hoping to see her actually break out and just turn her captors into piles of blood, just shred them apart with the most notorious weaves imaginable, like she said she would. But then when she did get out, I was hoping she'd have common sense to make a frakking gateway. The dumb b*** instead proceeds to push Rand. My liking of the character suffered tremendously here because, although she was showing her evil, she wasn't doing it like I wanted her to. The Forsaken get a lot of hate for being stupid, and usually I disagree with this; I just see them as flawed. But this moment here, I couldn't help but call her stupid. Sad, too, because I did like how evil she was.

Nynaeve. Noone can even compare to her irritation factor. Who cares that she is awesome with the power!

How far have you read? I used to think she was annoying also, but she becomes pretty awesome in the last 3 books.

Egwene - Elayne???

Elayne barely wins out the hate award

When she was questioning Perrin and Faile and asking why she shouldn't execute him??? That was ridiculous on so many levels I can barely contain myself. I loved Perrin's response that Rand wouldn't like that very much!

I'd have to agree here I dislike reading about Egwene and Gawyn.

They both are written like kids.

They're what, 18 and 20? They act as if they were 14 and 16. A girl that's trying to pretend she's grown up and an angry angsty teenager that doesn't know how to communicate or solve problems is what they're coming off as.

Anyone who's paternal enough to know Gawyn needs a sound beating like Bryne or even Birgitte seems to just act in exasperation or distaste instead of smacking him a good one.

Egwene acts utterly unnatural trying to play the adult. Her emotions are raging in there and all she can do is put on a brittle mask. The mask is so brittle there's not a single natural, flowing thing about it. It seem as if she were a child sitting on something uncomfortable.

Apart from them, some of Taim's cronies act as if they were brain dead vegetables instead of incredibly powerful Ashaman. These guys could make senior named Aes Sedai, or most of Rand's Ashaman entourage look like toy soldiers and they act as if they were dim witted goons.

I'd have to agree here I dislike reading about Egwene and Gawyn.

They both are written like kids.

They're what, 18 and 20? They act as if they were 14 and 16. A girl that's trying to pretend she's grown up and an angry angsty teenager that doesn't know how to communicate or solve problems is what they're coming off as.

Anyone who's paternal enough to know Gawyn needs a sound beating like Bryne or even Birgitte seems to just act in exasperation or distaste instead of smacking him a good one.

Egwene acts utterly unnatural trying to play the adult. Her emotions are raging in there and all she can do is put on a brittle mask. The mask is so brittle there's not a single natural, flowing thing about it. It seem as if she were a child sitting on something uncomfortable.

Apart from them, some of Taim's cronies act as if they were brain dead vegetables instead of incredibly powerful Ashaman. These guys could make senior named Aes Sedai, or most of Rand's Ashaman entourage look like toy soldiers and they act as if they were dim witted goons.

On the Taim's goons thing: I think that they might be acting dimwitted because they are under Compulsion. Seriously, I don't think all of Taim's followers really started out as Darkfriends.

If anybody ever says a variation of the phrase "Nothing could be allowed to ____ ____. Nothing!" with the exception of something that will literally end the world, they instantly get put on my hate list.

If anybody ever says a variation of the phrase "Nothing could be allowed to ____ ____. Nothing!" with the exception of something that will literally end the world, they instantly get put on my hate list.

Yep this was when I began to really dislike Perrin too. His whole thing about doing anything, dealing with the dark one for her shows that he is unbalanced and that this is a weakness that could be exploited. If a forsaken were to know this they could kidnap Faile and then get Perrin to betray Rand because he'd do anything for Faile. Anything!

I started to like Perrin again in ToM. But that whole Faile in captivity storyline was horrible - one day I would like to get the whole series in e-books and then make my own edited version removing the bulk of this arc. Would also reduce Elayne's succession and the Wonder Girls Salidar circus trip.

I didn't care for Egwene and Gawyn in the last book. It seemed completely out of nowhere and really... boring.

Egwene, however, is not my least favorite character. I think Elayne is my least favorite because of her irresponsible actions at any given moment and because of her baseless relationship with Rand, plus how she treats Birgitte sometimes.

Perrin/Faile/Nynaeve/others people are mentioning are some of my favorites! I did think Nicola was really annoying though.

I quite like every character in a way, mostly because the irritating, boring, etc. characters always gave the awesome ones opportunities to react, resist, etc. in an awesome manner, and by doing so becoming even more awesome :). So IMO one should really credit the dislikable characters for making the likables even more likable. And as I reread the series so many times there are always moments of like and dislike for almost every character.

Anyway, so this thread is about least favorite characters right? *inhales deeply* : list of not so likable characters

There are some names that might be exempted from the list though, Teslyn, Siuan after her healing, and a few more.

I was really irritated with Nyn for a very long time and the parts where Nyn and Elly go to Tanchico and their travel through Amadicia and Altara have some real irking points since Elly is handsdown the most dislikable woman in Randland. Even her nice backside doesn't make up for that. (I admit the last two books made Nyn a whole new woman, and her testing was epic)

It might be considered Heresy on these forums, but I really liked the Perrin Faile story line. Sadly RJ never made her dance the Sa'sara though.

The thirteen Black sister from the first couple of books really irritated me for some reason. Did not like them at all.

Egeanin (sp?) to did not let an agreeable feeling behind.

Julien Sandar (sp?) left me somewhat indifferent.

And the big suprise: Moiraine. I never felt the awe so many seem to have for her. Ok, so she got the heroes out of the two rivers, balefired darkhounds, sacrificed herself at Carhien, isn't so much your run of the mill AS etc. But I have to admit I never leally cared so much. I suspect I will like her in aMoL though, in sense that she is sort of an Old School character comming back to hang out with all the newbie's that have been around ever since she departed.

And the big suprise: Moiraine. I never felt the awe so many seem to have for her.

I think this is a case of "absence makes the heart grow fonder." It's been so many years since she was in the books, and people have mostly forgotten the manipulative and annoying things she did prior to her disappearance, like eavesdropping on Rand's private conversations with the Power and having Mat followed around by spies in Tear. People would flip if Cadsuane did any of that.

I've never hated her, but I've never really liked her either.

Like>> Faile - She's firey and devoted to her husband. Faile FTW!

More for the Faile love ^^ This makes me happy.

Would also like to agree with whoever said Gawyn needed a beating. How true.

With Moiraine, I think I actually agree with Arc and sleepinghour. I was never a huge fan of her whilst she was alive, though she did have her awesome moments, and I do find myself looking forward to her returning and meeting the characters that have entered the story since she left, and, of course, meeting our main characters as they are now, as compared to when she left them. I imagine the interactions will be far different than they were in the earlier part of the series, where Moiraine, for all her awesome moments, and for all her focus on saving the world rather than the WT, is still very much playing the role of manipulative, superior, arrogant AS. In a way, she reminds me a lot of Cadsuane, in that her admirable goals are hampered by her often less than admirable methods and attitude. Though, also like Cadsuane, I think the "tough love" she shows probably did our heroes some good in the end- Mat certainly admits it did.

I prefer Cadsuane out of the two of them, though :P

berelain! interfering with perrin's marriage like that...letting all his followers believe he cheated on faile with her?

come to think of it what really happened there anyway? he stood on a ridge all night with tallanvor waiting for the scouts to bring word back.....to the point where he was in such a cold exhausted daze he let himself be.....[taken?] back to her tent instead of his own? forever earning the disapproval of lini. (or at least as far as I've gotten) tragic.

perrin: give it over, burn you! my wife has been taken! I've no patience for your childish games!

berelain: not childish, perrin. two women contesting over you, and you the prize? I would think you'd be flattered.

(come on its never cool to pursue someone else's spouse)

berelain! interfering with perrin's marriage like that...letting all his followers believe he cheated on faile with her?

come to think of it what really happened there anyway? he stood on a ridge all night with tallanvor waiting for the scouts to bring word back.....to the point where he was in such a cold exhausted daze he let himself be.....[taken?] back to her tent instead of his own? forever earning the disapproval of lini. (or at least as far as I've gotten) tragic.

perrin: give it over, burn you! my wife has been taken! I've no patience for your childish games!

berelain: not childish, perrin. two women contesting over you, and you the prize? I would think you'd be flattered.

(come on its never cool to pursue someone else's spouse)

Like.

Take a page out of the Aiel book. Have some of the Aiel threaten Berelain with Rhuarc's punishments.

haha sounds like the royal trakand/damodred clan (minus moiraine and caraline) aren't very liked. elayne, gawyn galad morgase. I agree on gawyn. he drives me nuts with his naivety stubborness and ignorance ergg.. he's another know it all but who doesn't know annnyything. elayne i dont really mind. or galad. i love morgase though :)

i loved egeanin when she helped in tanchico but after that, it was like her whole character changed. then i didn't like her too much.

i don't like about 99% of the Aes Sedai and none of the white cloaks .. bornhald and byar most of all of course, even though i also have grown to dislike perrin.

i actually find myself liking morgase and galad at least a little bit.

Elayne. I hate her. Everything she ever says. When we get to Elayne POVs, I'm inevitably skipping whole pages.

Perrin. At first, he was a rather likeable young lad and....well. Then Faile. Which means that I need to add Faile to the list since yikes--he grew on me after captivity but between the Elayne "plotline" and the "Faile Rescue" crap, I started to dread starting new chapters as books came out.

Galad. I have never liked him. Ever. Yes, I like Gawyn for an irrational reason (I do not like how Sanderson writes him, sorry) and I also like Cadsuane and I like Egwene. I also like Min, Avi, Rand, and Mat.

I do not like Tuon. I like her more than Elayne or Perrin but I dislike them so much that really that's not saying much.

And having just finished a reread of books 1-7, I have to agree on Moiraine. She spends almost five full books manipulating the /crap/ out of Rand and while her moment of glory is truly badass, it is hard to look past that. I actually tend to like the Aes Sedai, mostly because they -are- a fascinating study of what can happen when a certain group/society has unchallengeable power for too long. I adore Siuane, all the time. Love Leane, love Corele and Cads and all of her little minions. I have lots of fun reading Pevara, Seine, Yukiri, Gabrelle, Toveine, all of them. But god, after a while, if I saw Moiraine say "The Wheel Weaves...." one more time, I thought I'd shriek.

I guess it comes down to, even if the characters are irrational if they have an interesting voice, they'll appeal to me. If their characters offer insight into the world at large and how different backgrounds react to situations, great! (Samitsu, actually, is one of the most interesting minor characters to me--her reaction to Damer when she sees his Healing is awesome) If they are irrational and offer nothing of interest (Elayne, Perrin, Galad) or if they are irrational/annoying if pivotal (Tuon, Moiraine) then I'll likely skim the chapters. :p

• 1 month later...

I used to hate the girls (Nyneave, Elayne, Egwene) after the first few books, like when they are traveling to some place and all that they do is argue, talk about cloths, talk about men and just generally be annoying bitches! Found myself skipping through paragraphs when those wenches were on.

And of course,the conclusion for Towers of Midnight was awesome but I think an even better one would have been Rand chopping Nyneave's bloody braid off, just so we don't EVER have to hear about it being tugged again!!!!!! Aarrgghh!

Perrin. In the beginning I think he showed a lot of promise, but as the series goes on he just gets blander and blander in my opinion. He feels a bit like Demandred to me in that promises were... not broken, but... I duno. Perrin began to feel like a wolf, and then he became... a blacksmith-come-lord who can smell and have crazy dreams. I'll refrain from the usual drivel about Failes rescue being drawn out, the thing that gets me is I think it could have been more interesting. On my first readthrough he was awesome for a long time. The animal rage, the lust for the axe, Failes capture... when he started thinking "to hell with Tarmon Gaidon, I want my WIFE" I was like "Yes! Go Darkfriend! PLEEEEEAAAAASE!" It would have been great.

Perrin would have made an awesome Darkfriend. But hes like Demandred now. It'll take something awesome I think.

My personal hate list is rather long, but top of my list and has been since book one is.... drum roll

Nynaeve - arrogant, stubborn, arrogant, believes she and all women are superior to all men, she really has no idea to be honest. The fact she still holds onto the fact it is all Moiraine's fault shows really how mind-numbingly stupid she is.

The others are..

Cadusane - Ugh..another stupid, stupid woman she doesn't like to be gentle with her tactics to get people to do something she likes to run them over like a ten-ton truck, or is this world a fully laden cart.

Galad - simple..White Cloak enough said

The rest as I can't include two certain female characters I won't..

Elaida, Alviarin, Galina

Archived