DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Moments that made you tear up

t.shaleva

So, I just finished ToM (I know I am very late but I was waiting for it to come out in my native language) and FINALLY came back here after what seemed like years of keeping myself away from spoilers. I have just one word to say about the book: WOW. I am sure you've all discussed it for a long time now but I just wanted to ask if anyone else was as touched and overwhelmed by it as me. I mean I started tearing up when I first opened it and read what Loial had written, then when Rand helped that poor guy and his apple trees, then when Rand started crying and apologized to Tam. The list continues with practically every appearance of Lan and then culminates with Mat's experience in the Tower of Genji where I cried from the moment they first saw Moraine untill they got out. Is it just me because I am starting to get worried? Did any moment in the book (or even in the series) made you cry?

Tear up? I had a few places I got misty eyed, though I wouldn't call it crying. Avi's trip through the glass pillars in Rhuidean made me put the book down three separate times. Perrin in TSR when he found out his family had been killed (Michael Kramer did an excellent job on the audiobook in that scene as I recall). The Golden Crane in KoD. Rand's trip through the glass pillars in Rhuidean in places.

For other reasons I nearly cried at some of Mat's chapters in TGS. Lan's parts of ToM. The parts that reminded me of how good of a writer RJ was and that he was unable to finish. :sad:

After my first read through of ToM my mind was very much reeling with emotions, and it was not after TGS. I take that as a good sign that this final 'book' will improve as it goes.

• fall of Manetheren
  • Perring finding out about his family
  • Nynaeve "Will he ride alone?"
  • Rand's second re-union with Tam

All of these have been mentioned already but yeah these were the scenes that left me misty-eyed. There were many other scenes which had an equally powerful emotional effect but in a different way ("We come").

• fall of Manetheren
  • Nynaeve "Will he ride alone?"

All of these have been mentioned already but yeah these were the scenes that left me misty-eyed. There were many other scenes which had an equally powerful emotional effect but in a different way ("We come").

For me, add in Faile and the men from Watch Hill riding to the rescue in tSR, and all the Golden Crane stuff. Perrin's charge to save the Children from the trollocs was up there with "we come" for me as well. Min frequently gets me misty as well.

"The Light shine on you, Lord Ingtar of House Shinowa, and may you shelter in the palm of the Creator's hand.” He touched Ingtar's shoulder. “The last embrace of the mother welcome you home.”

The most emotional moment for me.

"The Last the could be done" chapter in TGS and the end of "A Time for Iron" are the two other scenes that have made me misty eyed a bit.

No moments like that for me in WoT, but I remember I did tear up when I read the end of the Dragonlance: Legends trilogy. I guess the moment that effected me the most in WoT was Hoppers demise. It was more rage than sadness though. sad.gif

I cried from the moment they first saw Moraine untill they got out.

This. I wrote about that in my review of the book, and I got interrogated about it by a really annoying dude who apparently wanted to know if I just cried because I was a girl or if it was a truly emotional scene. :rolleyes:

Solinda Sedai

"Do you know what happened to the Aiel at Tzora? of course you do, the Aiel have more courage than .... Ten thousand Aiel linking arms and singing, trying to remind a madman of who they were and who he had been, trying to turn him with their bodies and a song. Jaric Mondoran killed them. He stood there staring as though at a puzzle, killing them, and they kept closing their lines and singing. I am told he listened to that last Aiel for almost an hour before destroying him. And then Tzora burned, one huge flame consuming stone and metal and flesh. There is a sheet of glass were the second greatest city in the world once stood"

Ace

"What am I DOING??"

"No more than I've done before....."

Yeah, that part choked me up a little, especially since I had been waiting for twelve books for the Tam/Rand reunion. And the second reunion in Tear was just as emotional for me as well. Maybe because I'm a dad and a son who's dad has been lost to me, the whole father/son thing just gets to me. And the "this is Min Farshaw, and she's very special to me..." I really wish I could have had this conversation with my dad about my wife, but he left me before I had the chance.

"Do you know what happened to the Aiel at Tzora? of course you do, the Aiel have more courage than .... Ten thousand Aiel linking arms and singing, trying to remind a madman of who they were and who he had been, trying to turn him with their bodies and a song. Jaric Mondoran killed them. He stood there staring as though at a puzzle, killing them, and they kept closing their lines and singing. I am told he listened to that last Aiel for almost an hour before destroying him. And then Tzora burned, one huge flame consuming stone and metal and flesh. There is a sheet of glass were the second greatest city in the world once stood"

A little off topic, but thought I would say something anyway. In tGS, Rand brings up Jaric Mondoran to Nynaeve and Min expecting them to know who he is. Just an interesting thing I noticed in my latest reread.

Perrin in TSR when he found out his family had been killed (Michael Kramer did an excellent job on the audiobook in that scene as I recall).

+1

I think RJ messed this up a bit, but in audio book it was very well done.

"Noal would die with honor. Once Mat would have thought that kind of thinking foolish - what good was honor if you were dead? but he had too many memories of soldiers, had spent too much time with men who fought and bled for that honor, to discredit such notions now."

I love this part so much, it is a great tribute to Jain, it is a sign that Mat has indeed matured and has accepted his role.

"Noal would die with honor. Once Mat would have thought that kind of thinking foolish - what good was honor if you were dead? but he had too many memories of soldiers, had spent too much time with men who fought and bled for that honor, to discredit such notions now."

I love this part so much, it is a great tribute to Jain, it is a sign that Mat has indeed matured and has accepted his role.

"If you ever meet a Malkieri," Noal said, "you tell him Jain Farstrider died clean."

Man, that's a good one.

I don't remember really tearing up at any point, but I remember plenty of moments that gave me goosebumps or got me a little misty:

-When Perrin tells the wolves "They've caged Shadowkiller." and "We come!"

-When the Asha'man showed up at Dumai's Wells.

-The entire chapter of VoG.

-Egwene repelling the Seanchan attack on the Tower.

-When Semirhage nearly forces Rand to kill Min.

-The battle of Emond's Field and Faile bringing in the Watch Hill men at the last moment.

Sooo many more. This is why I love this series.

The only time I can remember crying from WoT was when on a three-hour bus ride, reading tSR; when Perrin and the rest of Emond's Field is rescued by Faile and the other guys, I just lost it. Perrin's story in tSR, while often boring as Perrin often is, builds up very nice, and the ending is a crescendo like any others!

Other than that, the moments that made me the most emotional include:

- The whole story with Egwene in tGS, most of all the scene when she and her new keeper watches Dragonmount as the coulds break

- Veins of Gold. Veins of Gold is the best chapter of any book I have ever read (except Lenin).

- When Rand meets Tam again after VoG.

- A lot of the Nynaeve/Lan-story kind of tears me up. Mostly because Nynaeve is so epic and I sort of hate Lan, for as he says himself; "I will love the man who haves you if he makes you laugh, and hate him because he is not me" (paraphrased).

- Hopper. When he dies the first time, when he dies the second time, but most of all the moment when Perrin describes him as the wolf that as a pup had watched the eagles soar, how had leaped until he leaped further than any wolf. That whole story about how much he wanted to fly.. it just got to me. Such good writing!

- Asha'man: KILL! How epic is that? Sent chills down my bones! Absolutely fantastic!

- Last chapter, I think, of ToM: Rand meeting Cyndane and learning what is happening to her. He still loves her somewhat, I'm sure!

- Thom finding his girlfriend killed in Cairhien.

- Lord Ingtar. It seems so obvious on re-reads, but the first time I read through.. man, what a plot-twist!

- Rand meets Tam shortly before VoG. Also heart-wrenching.

- Semirhage putting the band of domination on Rand. WOW!

- Rand balefireing Natrims Barrow. So important, such a good view into what Rand had become!

Man, there are so many. But really, there's one bigger than anything: SEEING FUCKING MOIRAINE AGAIN!

Archived