DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Most Annoying Male Characters (as of ToM)

Barid Bel Medar

Most hated Male character  

161 members have voted

1. 1. Which main Light male character do you dislike most during and after ToM?

Gawyn is of course the most irritating. Although he did go up a few notches with his badassery with the Bloodknives. However I had to vote for Lan. I have always loved Lan's character. But his decision to ride off to his certain death is ridiculious.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hands down Gawyn, that wretched little fool. Mat kicked his butt, too bad Rand did not finish off the fool.

As if that weakling could ever beat the DR in a sword fight, maybe he has a zlim chance since Rand lost his hand, but certainly he had no chance before.

As said by RJ and BS, Lan > Rand > Galad > Gawyn.

I would have liked to see Rand kick Galad's rear end as well. Both of Elayne's brothers are garbage, Gawyn much more so.

Hopefully he dies in AmOL, same with Egwene, at the merciful hands of Shadar Haran. All hail SH, the true God, uhh, his right hand that is.

Gawyn!

Actually, I was most annoyed by him of all (the Light) characters. He has been the most arrogant of all of them and that's saying something. He is the worst know-it-all; far more self righteous than his brother.

And after shirking his duties to Elayne for months(?) he finally shows up to see her, and she was the only person he listened to in regards to his self-righteousness toward Egwene, after everything else that had gone on before that.

Olver bugs me too! That boy is going to get hisself in a heap of trouble. And he's been nothing but trouble.

Lan.

I know Lan's whole "I must die" thing is pretty heroic... but its also very stupid and serves absolutely no puporse.

I mean Lan could lead an army in the Last Battle, or he could just ride out to his heroic, yet pointless death.

Really, it is he that says the whole Death=feather, duty=mountain thing yet here Lan is, riding out to a death that he doesn't have to face yet and only serves to remove him and whatever men are with him from further fighting.

• 6 months later...

Hands down Gawyn, that wretched little fool. Mat kicked his butt, too bad Rand did not finish off the fool.

As if that weakling could ever beat the DR in a sword fight, maybe he has a zlim chance since Rand lost his hand, but certainly he had no chance before.

As said by RJ and BS, Lan > Rand > Galad > Gawyn.

I would have liked to see Rand kick Galad's rear end as well. Both of Elayne's brothers are garbage, Gawyn much more so.

Hopefully he dies in AmOL, same with Egwene, at the merciful hands of Shadar Haran. All hail SH, the true God, uhh, his right hand that is.

That quote was before he became bonded and got his super Gaidin powers that Lan and Rand already had when that quote was given. Plus it was specifically specified that it was Rand with 2 hands. I highly doubt super one-handed-Rand would ever bother with a sword. Mazrim Taim sees no use for weapons, whatever you think he is, it seems those with enough OP knowledge find melee weapons quite useless.

I voted for Perrin. Ruined a lot of books with his selfish wife hunt, tying up a couple armies that could have been used much better.

Mat, hands down. His internal dialogue and motivations are all selfish and egocentric.

That's pretty far from the mark. The man's proved time and time again that he is loyal, honorable, and completely selfless. Out of all the characters in the series, he has perhaps the best track record in regards to selflessness.

Mat, hands down. His internal dialogue and motivations are all selfish and egocentric.

That's pretty far from the mark. The man's proved time and time again that he is loyal, honorable, and completely selfless. Out of all the characters in the series, he has perhaps the best track record in regards to selflessness.

Not how I read it at all.

I'll think you'll find that the vast majority of us agree with Hybrid. But to each their own. It's the variety of characters and opinions that is one of the things that make this series so fun to read.

how suprising to see the people who voted for egwene as most annoying female have voted for gawyn here. You would think that gawyn being treated 'harshly' by egwene according to her haters would mean some sympathy for the poor andoran. Apparently not, Hehe

I can tell you that I am one of those thatr really dislikes Egwene, but Gawyn is actually a big enough tool that I actually feel sorry for her in this relationship (though her treatment of him in ToM is not what I would hope for from my loved one/significant other).

What were you reading then? If it was the WoT Hybrid has the right of it...

Out of curiosity, then, how would you characterize the following evidence:

He infiltrates the Stone of Tear alone, despite knowing that his enemies include a High Lord of Tear and Aes Sedai, to rescue the three girls.

When he sees Tairen and Cairhienin soldiers in danger, he decides to go back into the battle to rescue them, despite his original intention to escape.

He saves Olver for no personal gain whatsoever.

He orders Talmanes to stay with the Salidar Aes Sedai to provide Egwene with an escape route, if she needs it.

When the other are leaving Ebou Dar, he goes back into a city being invaded by the Seanchan -- and he is well aware of how dangerous they are -- to look for Olver, who is missing.

And so forth, though I'm sure I've missed some of them.

There are some strong contenders in this race, I have to say...

Had this been pre-TGS, Rand, with his "list o' women" would have definitely been up there with the finest. And yes, I know, a lot of that was his madness kicking in, but it still annoyed me :P

Lan's got to be up there as well. He's an amazing swordsman. As the King of Malkier, he inspires people the world over, especially in the Borderlands. Had he stuck around until the Last Battle, how many men would have followed him, how many more might he have gathered to fight? Not to mention, he has a wife that he has apparently loved from the very start of the series, who loves him back just as much. And, yep, Pointless Suicide Charge time. To hell with you, Lan! The only reason he might actually make any notable dent in the forces at Tarwin's Gap is because Nynaeve knew he would try and sneak off there on his own, and spread the word for him.

However, I think Gawyn has to take this one. He spends his time in ToM sulking, mostly. He's angry because Rand is leading armies and uniting nations and he isn't? He's been raised his whole life to be First Prince of the Sword to Elayne, and yet all he's done so far is show up, mope for a while, then run off back to Egwene. As far as his relationship with Egwene goes, he spends the early part of her reign as Tower Amyrlin thinking she needs protecting from anything, then when he actually has a valid point about the assassins, one which Egwene ignores and nearly gets him killed because he comes to save her- and THIS is the point at which he goes "They were right! I should totally serve as the obedient, subservient person in this relationship, seeing Egwene's will done. This blood pouring out of me at alarming speed is just the proof I need that this is someone I should be relying on the instructions of!" Not to mention, picking that moment to go all noble and "Don't take me as your warder unless you really want to!"- not such a good idea when aforementioned blood pouring is occuring. Eejit.

Out of curiosity, then, how would you characterize the following evidence:

He infiltrates the Stone of Tear alone, despite knowing that his enemies include a High Lord of Tear and Aes Sedai, to rescue the three girls.

When he sees Tairen and Cairhienin soldiers in danger, he decides to go back into the battle to rescue them, despite his original intention to escape.

He saves Olver for no personal gain whatsoever.

He orders Talmanes to stay with the Salidar Aes Sedai to provide Egwene with an escape route, if she needs it.

When the other are leaving Ebou Dar, he goes back into a city being invaded by the Seanchan -- and he is well aware of how dangerous they are -- to look for Olver, who is missing.

And so forth, though I'm sure I've missed some of them.

The Stone of Tear again? Ugh.

He was forced into helping Talmanes etc by the Pattern. His intention was to run away, leaving Rand and company to do the fighting.

Jon Snow shows infinitely more loyalty to his family than Mat has.

Taking in Olver has no real personal cost, either.

Of course he left Talmanes behind, because if "Mat bloody Cauthon doesn't take care of these foolish girls, then there bloody bacon will be bloody well cooked. Blood and bloody ashes!"

And so forth. I'm not saying he never does the right thing, nor that he never has good intentions. I am saying, to me, he is by far the least admirable major character in the series. You're welcome to fan wank his "awesomeness" all you like. Please leave me out of it.

• 5 weeks later...

Gawyn and Perrin came pretty close but it has to be that childish idiot Gawyn but as there already are many valid points for him, I'll go with Perrin.

Just the main thing for me was his whiney "Oh what if I turn into a wolf, no I can't use my power", like seriously that whole inner struggle has lasted since TEOTW and right up until towers of midnight. Boring!

Archived