DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Most Annoying Male Characters (as of ToM)

Barid Bel Medar

Most hated Male character  

161 members have voted

1. 1. Which main Light male character do you dislike most during and after ToM?

Same as annoying female characters.

Just a short answer stating who and why. No debates about other peoples answers, it is a topic of opinion, not debating the nature of such answers. There are plenty of topics discussing these characters faults and virtues.

Example being my answer.

Lan- The foolishness he displays in ToM trying to throw his life away just before, or during Tarmon Gaidon.

Again, I would appreciate if this topic is locked if it becomes a debate.

Edit: Just to be clear, this poll is taking into account everything that happened in ToM, and the characters should be judged on their current attitude, not that of say, book seven or something.

Example: Rand should be judged on his attitude at the end of Towers of Midnight. So no sayting "he is most annoying because of the events in tGS. When he clearly has changed.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not a Rand fan at all, but the most annoying men over the series as a whole have been Perrin and Gawyn, and since Gawyn's going to get piled on I guess I'll vote for Perrin.

Fair enough, but I am talking about post ToM.

I am not interested in who WAS annoying over the series.

I was saying, as they currently stand post ToM, who do you dislike most.

I will start the Gawyn pile with glee - whether it's before, during or after ToM, he takes the cake by a very long shot. Over the series, he is a pushover following first Elayne, then Elaida, then finally Egwene, all the while behaving like a needy little puppy dog. Although this puppy dog is sometimes a little bit rebellious, he always takes horrible decisions (fighting for Elaida against Siuan) and even his feelings are wrong (wants to kill Rand for a long time, acts as if Egwene was stupid and defenceless). Not only does he not shoulder his responsibilities as First Prince of the Sword (rather, as Elayne points out in ToM, shows up in Caemlyn only to brood glumly in the gardens), but he does not seem to even feel any real/deep guilt or concern over giving up this duty. The man needs Elayne (of all people) to spell everything out for him so he can start thinking a little bit more smartly. That is sad. Very sad.

Lan is indeed being silly in ToM (thank God Nynaeve has his back), but apart from that particular flaw, he is a very good man.

The only other character from that list who annoys me is Thom, but this is more from my perception of him than what he does/say in actual fact I guess. I'm just a little bit disturbed by the old man (complete with white hair and mustache) flirting or having relationships with all these younger women. I also feel he's too much of a show-off.

I will start the Gawyn pile with glee - whether it's before, during or after ToM, he takes the cake by a very long shot. Over the series, he is a pushover following first Elayne, then Elaida, then finally Egwene, all the while behaving like a needy little puppy dog. Although this puppy dog is sometimes a little bit rebellious, he always takes horrible decisions (fighting for Elaida against Siuan) and even his feelings are wrong (wants to kill Rand for a long time, acts as if Egwene was stupid and defenceless). Not only does he not shoulder his responsibilities as First Prince of the Sword (rather, as Elayne points out in ToM, shows up in Caemlyn only to brood glumly in the gardens), but he does not seem to even feel any real/deep guilt or concern over giving up this duty. The man needs Elayne (of all people) to spell everything out for him so he can start thinking a little bit more smartly. That is sad. Very sad.

Add me to the Gawyn list for these reasons, plus adding in he then at the end of TOM decides after being annoying, irrational and downright dumb, that being a lap dog for the biggest egomaniac in the world (including the Forsaken) redeems that?! Gaaa. Although that comes under he always makes horrible decisions.

I wish I can vote twice so I can vote Gawyn as well but he's been overwhelmingly voted the male dunce of WOT, I'll vote for Thom just so I can vent a bit.

During the negotiations with Elayne about Aludra's cannons, it was made clear that Mat does not have Thom's loyalty. Thom says he's on everyone's side, really? Don't you think he should have told this to Mat beforehand? It's not that I am surprised Thom has been on Elayne and Nynaeve's side since Salidar or even Tanchico I think when he guilted Mat into helping the two fool women without telling him their real mission.

We've seen numerous times that Thom has held back information from Mat if he feels that Mat doesn't need to know like Noal's real identity or Birgitte's I find this disturbing considering that Mat relies on Thom basically as his spy chief for the Band, interpreting local news and gossip to get a grasp of the current political and social situation..A guy who independently decides to hold back on his own seemed like a poor choice for that position. One could argue that Thom's promises held him back, but my argument would be that if you are a man of too many loyalties then be upfront about it, Mat deserves some honesty and loyalty from a guy who asked him to basically go on a suicide mission to TOG

Also, when Mat was shocked that thom and moraine wanted to marry, thom gave him a flat stare like he felt Mat insulted the him. You would think the guy who just lost an eye rescuing the woman you would like to marry at least earned some respect at that point. Then he proceeded to prod him about being warder to tuon when thom knows mat hates the one power. Thom also relishes the chance to tell everybody he can that Mat has married the Seanchan empress like it is some great joke at Mat's expense. I feel that it just smacks of ingratitude.

I voted Loial for this one. Mainly because he was conspicuously missing from this book, just as I would have voted one Barid Bel Medar for his own absence. Before the book I would have said Perrin because of his failure to embrace his destiny. It seems to me that the authors have done better portraying the men in a likable role. Perrin was one of my favorite characters in the beginning when I thought his angst was going to be temporary. For a while I thought he might always be like that, but now that he has outgrown it he is back in my good graces, but the amount of time he moped about has removed him from the top 5 for me. In fact I have preferred Gawyn and Egwene chapters over Perrin chapters up until the last few books. (In fact in my reread of ToM I ignored most of Perrin's chapters before he figures out how to embrace his life because I knew I would not enjoy them).

I like Gawyn, he is a conflicted kid and Galad has always been one of my favorites in the series, so I never fell into the hate group for either of them (don't suppose anyone hated Galad, so much as they thought he was unimportant, but I thought this book showed some great development of our favorite paladin).

Gawyn and Galad frustrated me most, but they have the "young, foolish and misguided" excuse. Because of this, I voted for Lan. Running off to get killed does nobody any good -- as far as I know, Lan's not aware of Rand's potential tactical advantage caused by the Malkieri. Death is lighter than a feather, duty heavier than a mountain. Lan's duty is to Nynaeve and Rand. He should know better, and be off teaching younger folk to know better.

Im one of the 2 that voted for Rand. I never had an issue with him before TOM - but this whole Zen Rand who can do no wrong and is at perfect peace just seems unrealistic to me, and thus annoying. I feel like he is a completely different person - this is addressed at one point when he tells Min that he is "still Rand" but it doesnt feel that way to me at all.

I am not sure how his plot will look in the final book but I am not convinced it's going to be that fun to read.

Also - Gawyn - I agree with other posts, very annoying, has no sense of his own personal identity.

Voted Gawyn, for all of the many reasons already mentioned, but Lan was a tempting choice. *What* exactly is he intending to accomplish by riding against overwhelming odds when he could add his strength to the Light's armies eventually anyway? Is he trying some passive-aggressive garbage to try to guilt Rand into attacking before he wants to? The whole thing just seems really stupid, childish, and... un-Lan-like.

I voted Perrin. Although he was a little better in ToM, it doesn't make up for all the things he's done. His failure to accept his destiny, while annoying, is forgivable. What I can't stand is his blind loyalty to Faile. Because of his "love" for her, he has ignored Rand's orders (treason), allied with Rand's enemies, neglected his own followers, and comitted torture. His pursuit of Slayer, while entertaining, is just another example. Perrin is a GENERAL now, and when he puts himself at risk in this private struggle, he puts his followers, his wife, and technically the whole world at risk. (Remember, Perrin has to be at the Last Battle for the Light to win, he can't be there if Slayer kills him.

Archived