DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What weave would you like to master?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A tangential thought..

One or two people have pointed out that the ability to Travel reduces the need for transport technology, and I have no doubt that other weaves would have corresponding effects. But you'd have to be careful.. Rand tried to keep himself warm at night with a weave of Fire and nearly set light to his bedding..

A more insidious problem would be, I think, an increase in stupidity, particularly if Compulsion is used to get others to do your working/thinking for you. Those of you who have read Larry Niven will have come across his race of beings called thrintun ('The World of Ptavvs'*) whose single skill is absolute compulsion, though without the personality damage that eg. Graendal causes. They refer to this skill as 'the Power' and despise those who lack it (ptavvs). If a ptavv is born to a thrintun family the fact is hidden and the afflicted thrint is tattooed permanently pink and sold as a slave. A character in the book called Larry Greenberg, an Earth-human and one of the ptavvs of the title, has his mind taken over temporarily by a thrint, and comes to realise that the thrintun have become so dependent on their Power-controlled slaves that they have lost most of their other skills..

..could this be what's wrong with the Aes Sedai?

*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_of_Ptavvs

Well...

1. Traveling - you just can't beat it.

2. Solid weaves of air - The most versatile tool ever: moving objects around, binding people, forming a blade of air, creating a bridge... etc.

3. Making ter'angreal - whatever weave you can't master... make a tool that'll do it for you.

• 1 year later...
Guest MattijsdeGruijter

Ignoring the heat/ cold apperantly doesnt have anything to do with the One Power but... hmmmmm.... As crazy as this sounds.. I think Robert Jordan actually managed to ignore the heat/cold... he had many differnt mind tricks in the series and I dont think he just made them up. The mind is an incredible thing and I think that you can actually make your self believe something. such as the heat not toughing you.

People that channel say that it has nothing to do with channeling, yet the only ones that can do it are people that can channel. It's not specifically stated anywhere but it's likely that the ability to ignore the elements is a genetic trait that people with the ability to channel share even if you don't have to channel to do it. Like the 'mask the bond' thing Avi does when Rand is with Elayne in 'A Lily in Winter', she can do it but Birgitte and Min cannot.

In LoC Moghedien claims it takes time working with the power before you could achieve the detachment necessary to ignore heat or cold.

Ignoring the heat/ cold apperantly doesnt have anything to do with the One Power but... hmmmmm.... As crazy as this sounds.. I think Robert Jordan actually managed to ignore the heat/cold... he had many differnt mind tricks in the series and I dont think he just made them up. The mind is an incredible thing and I think that you can actually make your self believe something. such as the heat not toughing you.

People that channel say that it has nothing to do with channeling, yet the only ones that can do it are people that can channel. It's not specifically stated anywhere but it's likely that the ability to ignore the elements is a genetic trait that people with the ability to channel share even if you don't have to channel to do it. Like the 'mask the bond' thing Avi does when Rand is with Elayne in 'A Lily in Winter', she can do it but Birgitte and Min cannot.

In LoC Moghedien claims it takes time working with the power before you could achieve the detachment necessary to ignore heat or cold.

I assumed she was "lying". I know they'd know through the bracelet if it were a full lie, but the story is "retold" to us through a recapped conversation, we don't get to hear the exact words.

Rand learns it from Taim, and it takes Rand awhile to "master" it, but it seemed unrelated to his channeling, just time practicing the actual focus required. Which suggests Mogh could have twisted the words to make it sound like it was linked to using the OP.

Hmmm,

For starters, making Sa'angreal and Ter'angreal is not specifically a weave.

The ones listed are the obvious ones. I'd go with Aligning the Matrix or Folded Light. Cuendillar would be cool at first but you have to keep it in check or it would be devalued. Aligning the Matrix is just a reinforcement of existing metal and is probably more subtle in appearance than cuendillar

Archived