DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ask A Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (No AMoL Spoilers)

Luckers

Thanks for confirming the part of the accepted test where they agree to sever all ties. That is what I was thinking of. I can't imagine that would be very popular with malkieri and andorans if they know about it.

On a related point, how are the commands of the amyrlin, sitters, ajah heads etc. Enforced?

Has Moiraine had sex with a man before Eye of the World? If so, do you think it was with Lan or somebody else?

emphasis on the word man here btw...  :wink:

The prequel does not tell of any such scene.  And the first 13 books do not give any indicator of any such event.

These characters for sure have had sex at some point::

-those who are pregnant

-those who are parents

As far as I recall, this series does not have sex without pregnancy coming shortly after.

Since Moiraine does not have any children, I would guess she never had sex.

Has Moiraine had sex with a man before Eye of the World? If so, do you think it was with Lan or somebody else?

The prequel does not tell of any such scene.  And the first 13 books do not give any indicator of any such event.

-those who are pregnant

-those who are parents

As far as I recall, this series does not have sex without pregnancy coming shortly after.

-those who are pregnant

-those who are parents

Rand and Min had plenty of sex without her getting pregnant. So did Perrin and Faile.

Why is Rand continuing to entrust the clearly evil megalomaniac with his most powerful group of weapons?

Taim emits an AURA OF VIOLENCE when he enters a room!

Might as well leave Grand Moff Tarkin in charge of the Rebel Alliance!

No joke, Mazrim Taim is the most obviously evil ANYTHING I've ever seen. Lucius Malfoy is more trustworthy than this guy.

Edited by EmperorAllspice

Why is Rand continuing to entrust the clearly evil megalomaniac with his most powerful group of weapons?

No joke, Mazrim Taim is the most obviously evil ANYTHING I've ever seen. Lucius Malfoy is more trustworthy than this guy.

Rand takes a (badly) calculated risk with Taim.  The man exuded violence, not necessarily evil.  As the reader you get a slightly clearer picture of Taim than Rand does.  And at the time Rand was going through his change into a very violent person himself, and he wanted living weapons more than anything else.  He felt that Taim, despite his flaws, was the best choice to provide them for him.  He might have been worried that he would have to deal with Taim later, but he didn't predict just how badly it would go.

Just because someone is evil, doesn't mean they're not on your side. Or at the least, can be used for your benefit.

Just because someone is evil, doesn't mean they're not on your side. Or at the least, can be used for your benefit.

He's also giving orders and claiming they're Rand's and herding up all the most skilled Ash'aman into his own private coven.

I thought you liked when the heroes make bad decisions. 

Which is basically what Rand did. 

He ignored the Black Tower at first because he didn't really put that much thought into it. He needed them as a weapon, and Taim was getting the job done. He hadn't come out and declared for the Shadow, so he was content to leave it be. 

When the problem became obvious, he ignored it because he knew it had gotten out of hand. The Black Tower is far too dangerous for Rand to risk going there and sorting out himself. He knows it's a problem, but won't admit it because he knows he's screwed up. His madness plays no small part in this. He hates being around other male channelers, and fears being trapped - which is essentially what the Black Tower is. 

Doesn't Rand have the Choedan Kal?

Why isn't he using that to roflstomp all of his problems? (like the Seanchan) It's not like he has to worry about taint anymore.

Is he afraid that it'll break if he uses it too much like with Nynaeve so he's saving it for when he really needs it?

Why isn't he using that to roflstomp all of his problems? (like the Seanchan) It's not like he has to worry about taint anymore.

Is he afraid that it'll break if he uses it too much like with Nynaeve so he's saving it for when he really needs it?

Because using it for most problems is akin to performing brain surgery with a sledge hammer. :)

Well, aside from using it putting you in a rather oblivious state of bliss that lights up like a beacon that can be sensed anywhere on the continent, he's terrified of wielding that amount of power. Part of it has to do with his early experience with Callandor.

And keep reading.

Well, aside from using it putting you in a rather oblivious state of bliss that lights up like a beacon that can be sensed anywhere on the continent, he's terrified of wielding that amount of power. Part of it has to do with his early experience with Callandor.

And keep reading.

God I hate that reasoning.  Villains may as well not exist.

The only reason Rand ain't winning is because he's afraid of wielding too much power.

Because the series would've been too short. :wink:

Rand and Min had plenty of sex without her getting pregnant. So did Perrin and Faile.

The most I recall with both couples is the 2 sleeping together.  And the earliest for either couple to have sex seems to be the last several books.

The most I recall with both couples is the 2 sleeping together.  And the earliest for either couple to have sex seems to be the last several books.

I think you may need to read between the lines a bit more.  Rand and Avi had their romp in the snow WAY back, and Rand and Min were like rabbits througout the middle of the series. 

Edited by clutzyninja

Rand & Min like rabbits; which book & chapter and which scene?

Rand & Aviendha in snow, I recall them only walking/running around in that scene; not anything sexual.

Perrin & Faile; their first scenes after Shadow Rising seem to indicate that they just traveled around after their wedding.

Rand & Min like rabbits; which book & chapter and which scene?

Rand & Aviendha in snow, I recall them only walking/running around in that scene; not anything sexual.

Perrin & Faile; their first scenes after Shadow Rising seem to indicate that they just traveled around after their wedding.

Yeah, you DEFINITELY need to learn to read between the lines.  RJ is never explicit, he never writes "and then they banged it out," haha.

after plenty of intim

Yeah, you DEFINITELY need to learn to read between the lines.  RJ is never explicit, he never writes "and then they banged it out," haha.

Lol! However, i found rand's moodiness after...rabbitting...with Min for the first time to be unrealistic. As was his "date" with Elayne in the palace. I also did not enjoy Mat's "adventures" in the first chapter of Amol, a very clumsy scene, IMO.

I still don't like the rape in Ebou Dar. Or whatever it was. It certainly didn't seem consensual.

What's worse is that it happens around the same point where a similar thing happens to Morgase and it's played dead straight.

Da hell, Robert Jordan.

Edited by EmperorAllspice

I still don't like the rape in Ebou Dar. Or whatever it was. It certainly didn't seem consensual.

What's worse is that it happens around the same point where a similar thing happens to Morgase and it's played dead straight.

Da hell, Robert Jordan.

It was rape in Ebou Dar, nothing consensual about it. Team Jordan even said so. Edited by Suttree

and.. he... played... it... for laughs?

Right before (or is it after) playing Morgase's rape for drama? (blinks)

INTERVIEW: Jun 21st, 1996

ROBERT JORDAN

RJ wrote the Mat/Tylin scenario as a humorous role-reversal thing. His editor, and wife, thought it was a good discussion of sexual harassment and rape with comic undertones. She liked it because it dealt with very serious issues in a humorous way. She seemed to think it would be a good way to explain to men/boys what this can be like for women/girls, showing the fear, etc.

BRANDON SANDERSON

Hard to ignore that it happened, returning to the city as he was.

LUCKERS

... you re-awakened the Mat/Tylin sexual assault vs. super funny joke fury. Ahh the indignant fandom. *sighs*

BRANDON SANDERSON

*sighs in agreement*

W.S.E.

I feel the same way about all the characters saying "you go Tylin" in A Crown of Swords, too.

BRANDON SANDERSON

It is one of the WoT's most controversial sequences, to be sure.

BRANDON SANDERSON (4 SEPTEMBER)

The three excerpts of A Memory of Light that have been released so far: http://www.tor.com/stories/2012/04/a-memory-of-light-prologue-excerpt http://www.tor.com/stories/2012/07/read-an-excerpt-from-chapter-one-of-a-memory-of-light http://www.tor.com/stories/2012/09/a-memory-of-light-chapter-11-excerpt

FOOTNOTE
RJ apparently said that it was supposed to be seen as rape, and that it was also supposed to be funny. Some fans took the humorous treatment of the subject very badly (because rape is, after all, quite serious), but RJ was likely trying to draw attention to the double standard.
The above is from Theoryland, but the link doesn't seem to work when copied.
Edited by Agitel