DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ask A Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (No AMoL Spoilers)

Luckers

I read Gathering Storm and it mentioned Perrin meeting Galad. Is this because the POVs are split so I'll be catching up with Perrin next book and what he was doing next or is this material only mentioned in flashback? 

There are different timelines issues, some are mistakes, others are just a little hard to follow in TOM. To put it simply, yes, you'll be playing catching up with Perrin and Mat and Elayne and Galad and etc... in ToM. What's... interesting... is that their timelines are a month behind, but you'll be jumping back and forth between them and timelines that are a month ahead of them. I'm not a fan of that choice.

Edited by Agitel

Can a suldam be cut from the source since she is still a channeler even though she has never held it or learnt it? If so would this cut her ability to use an adam and thus present an easy way to deal with a damane since they need the suldam to get them to do anything while collared and since the suldam cannot embrace the source it would be very easy to cut them off because they would be a very weak channeler unable to prevent this. I suppose they could use the damane to prevent themselves being severed although I don't see how they could do that without being aware that the Aes Sedai is trying to cut them from something they believe they do not have. Although I guess they could rationalise it as something else.

Edited by False Dragon1991

Can a suldam be cut from the source since she is still a channeler even though she has never held it or learnt it?

KOD Signing Report - Frenzy (Paraphrased)

FRENZY

But what I DID get to ask, was this: Can a person who hasn't actively channeled yet be severed or stilled?

ROBERT JORDAN

Jordan's response (paraphrased) "No, you have to have something to take away something, so a person has to have an active connection to the Source to be able to have it cut."

You wouldn't be stupid.  Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and if you prefere BS's style to RJ's style, that is your right.  Most people would agree that RJ's writing is better, quality-wise, but that doesn't make it wrong to enjoy BS's style more. 

Its a personal choice whether you want to read them or not.  People who have enjoyed them tend to appreciate the faster paced, more action orientated scenes; there is a feeling of things happening and plots moving forward, particularly when compared to CoT.  People who dislike them tend to find the writing blunter, less polished, inclusive of some world-building errors, and poorly structured. 

My feeling after reading them is that I was reading fanfiction.  I only found out after I had read the final three books how little of the plot and writing came from RJ.  In retrospect, my first choice would have been to just read the notes RJ left.  As this isn't an option I'm honestly not sure whether I am glad I have read the final three books or not.  I know that I have been shown how RJ envisioned certain characters fates, which I am happy about, but there are other aspects of the plot and writing that I feel would have been very different if RJ had written them, and I think I would have preferred not to read these parts.

I'm mostly worried about the villains.

Depending on who I ask. Demandred in the last book is either really awesome and the one who most lives up to his rep, or completely lame. Which is weird. It's like polar opposites talking out two different books

Edited by EmperorAllspice

Depending on who I ask. Demandred in the last book is either really awesome and the one who most lives up to his rep, or completely lame. Which is weird. It's like polar opposites talking out two different books

Yeah, people are divided on him.  I think there was great potential in terms of plot points for Demandred, but they were poorly executed.

Not sure, but I think the meeting of Perrin & Galad was in the notes.  And I think also Rand's vision of that meeting.

Also, various later scenes seem dependent on that meeting.

I mean Rand seeing Perrin n Galad in his tavern vision.

The vision seems to help readers determine the chronological order of various events; it does for at least me.

Not entirely sure, but a different  written order might have been intended.

Is Moridin aware of the link with Rand and did he plan on it? Or if he isn't then did the Dark One plan on it?

I ask because if the most effective means of driving Rand over the edge turns out to be caused by pure luck then I'm going to saw my own arm off

He becomes aware of the link in Gathering Storm if not sooner.

Not sure if the link caused anyone to have plans.

By the way, Semirhage was the one that caused the broken arm.  Knife of Dreams.

Edited by mb

He becomes aware of the link in Gathering Storm if not sooner.

Not sure if the link caused anyone to have plans.

By the way, Semirhage was the one that caused the broken arm.

I meant they might've created the link with Rand on purpose so they could have more influence over him.

I just hate the implication that that was totally luck or the will of the pattern. The DO and Moridin had nothing to do with it.

It was the balefire streams crossing that caused the link and it seemed to be a side effect.

Moridin has been very active in his plotting with Rand howeve and he does use the link laterr. The game of Sha'ra is a good hint as to what is going on overall with his strategy.

I assumed that the Dark One tugged on the pattern when Moridin fired his stream, causing the two to connect.

I know that Rand goes mad due to using the True Power, however, without this link, he wouldn't have been able to do that. What would Moridin have done then?

Sorry, I just want the Forsaken to be cunning, y'know?

And I still want to know why Mesaana (the one who orchestrated the tower schism and manipulated every remaining tower sister into hating each other) didn't believe one of her best agents about a plot to uncover the Black Ajah but the Dark One did. Could the Forsaken stop losing IQ points the second they appear on page? yeesh!