DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ask A Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (No AMoL Spoilers)

Luckers

again repeating my last questions.

Towers of Midnight Chapters 36 through 38; 2 groups of saidar channelers fight against each other in telaranrhiod.  What was the total number of participants within those 2 groups?

Around that time, Perrin and some wolves fought against Slayer.  How many wolves participated in that fight?

What was Mesaana doing while Seachan attacked the White Tower?  (Gathering Storm Chapters 40-41)

Also, did she get word of it from anyone either before or during the attack?  If so, how & when did she find out and what was her reaction at that time?

again repeating my last questions.

Towers of Midnight Chapters 36 through 38; 2 groups of saidar channelers fight against each other in telaranrhiod.  What was the total number of participants within those 2 groups?

Around that time, Perrin and some wolves fought against Slayer.  How many wolves participated in that fight?

What was Mesaana doing while Seachan attacked the White Tower?  (Gathering Storm Chapters 40-41)

Also, did she get word of it from anyone either before or during the attack?  If so, how & when did she find out and what was her reaction at that time?

Nobody knows. That is why nobody has answered.

Would someone know if it's possible for a woman to bond another woman as Warder if they both channel, or if one of the women had been severed? Is that even a thing that's ever even been discussed in the least..?

As far as we know, there's nothing that would prevent a channeler bonding another channeler, same gender or otherwise, nor is there anything to prevent a severed channeler being bonded.

The Encyclopaedia site mentions 2 upcoming Wheel of Time books (an official Wheel of Time encyclopedia and Unfettered).  Is there a section in this forum where those 2 books could be talked about and/or active thread/threads for either or both books?

Which medallion does Mat currently have? original one or a copy?

One copy was stolen by Darkfriends.  What happened to the third?

Mat was given back his original. There is a thread for the Unfettered novella "River of Souls" on the AMOL spoilers board. The novella is about a plot arc from AMOL that was largely cut out due to it introducing too much new information right at the end of the series.

I can't go through 401 pages of questions to see if this is something that has already been asked but...

When Siuan is taking Egwene and Nynaeve to the Tower for the first time, after her visit to Sheinar, she does a training session with them.  In it, Nynaeve states that she'd rather have a good cudgel or something instead of using the Power, and Siuan makes a sword out of Air, then a dagger.

How did she overlook the Three Oaths to make no weapon if she's making swords and daggers with Air?  Is it in the wording of the Oath or was it just a slip of writing?

The oath say she can not make a weapon for one man to kill another, her weapon made out of Air would simply dissipate when she was no longer using it so it would be impossible for one man to use it to kill another.

One question, would a Warder feel that his Aes Sedai is shielded. I know the bond go a bit fuzzy, but is that enough for him to sense it. I assume that if she was channeling and was shielded roughly then he would feel her shock as it is described to be like having ice water poured on you, but let us say she was sleeping and someone shielded her carefully and just slid the shield into place, would her Warder know something was up?

The twist of words was my theory as well.  She did not intend to give the weapon to a man to kill another man, so she could form the weaves to make it (however she knew them).

A weapon of Air could be made as solid as any weapon, sharper even.  Lanfear cuts off a man's head at the beginning of the Choedan Kal battle with nothing but Air, and when Rand is chasing Asmodean through Rhuidien, he almost gets himself chopped in thirds by thin lines of Air hung by Asmodean to do just that.  It would not just dissipate.

A weapon of Air could be made as solid as any weapon, sharper even.  Lanfear cuts off a man's head at the beginning of the Choedan Kal battle with nothing but Air, and when Rand is chasing Asmodean through Rhuidien, he almost gets himself chopped in thirds by thin lines of Air hung by Asmodean to do just that.  It would not just dissipate.

It would if she were maintaining the weaves herself instead of tying them off.  The wording of that Oath is fairly specific.  It talks about the purpose for which the weapons are to be made.  "[i promise not to] make no weapon with which one man can kill another."  But they can make weapons that will be used to kill Shadowspawn, presumably as long as those weapons can't or won't be used against people, and they can make weapons to "show off" as long as they get rid of them before they can be used. 

When Verin and Alanna were in the Two Rivers, and modified the boulders and rocks launched by the catapults/trebuchet so they would explode on impact, that's making a weapon.  And they can get away with it because those weapons were a one-shot use, and were about to be used directly against Trollocs and Fades.  Now, if, after the battle, Perrin had said, "Hey, Aes Sedai.  Make me a bunch more of those things, we'll stockpile 'em in case we need 'em in the future," they wouldn't be able to do that, because of the risk they could be used against people.  One the other hand, if they were showing their gaggle of girls they were dragging off to Tar Valon how it was done, they could, but they'd be compelled to render them inert after they were done showing off.

What happened to the third?

Elayne's got it, she gave it to Birgitte, iirc, and planned on making more copies to outfit her personal guard.  Came in handy a couple of times too. 

Edited by Thrasymachus

The Dark Prophecy in Great Hunt could probably be considered a song. It mentions Lanfear.

Of the other songs in the first 13 books, no shown lyric explicitly mentions any Forsaken.
Though some songs might imply some Forsaken, depending on reader interpretation. Do not remember which ones.
And some lyrics of some songs seem not shown. Do not remember all of these either.

Edit::  Some songs speak against at least 1 group of characters.  Do not remember all.

And I recall 1 that mentions the Dark One ("Jak o' the Shadows" in the song).

Edited by mb

How far do the feelings a sul'dam can give a damane go? I mean we have seen examples of the feeling of being whipped being given, with and without the pain vanishing once the punishment is over, being rolled in nettles is mentioned and being boiled alive, but can the sul'dam give the damane any feeling she can imagine? I mean could she make the woman's who's a'dam she controls feel like her spine is being ripped out though her nostril, just to take a random example or that she is being skinned alive? In short are there any limits? Also can the sul'dam give positive feelings as well, like the feeling of a soothing hand over the damane's back or something like that? I am also wondering if touch is the only sense that the a'dam can replicate or if it can also create vision, hearing, smell and taste illusions for the damane if the sul'dam wills it?

I guess the adam can control only touch of the 5 senses; maybe also emotion.

As far as I recall, the only terangreal (shown on-screen in the books) that let others control all 5 senses is the one for the Accepted to Aes Sedia test.  Maybe also emotion for this also.

Telaranrhiod seems to allow people to control all 5 senses of others.  And Dreamwalkers I guess can control all 5 senses within ordinary dreams.  I guess also emotion for these 2 also.

Not entirely sure, but Compulsion might be able to control all 5 senses (and emotion).

It seems strongly implied that the sul'dam can kill the damane soley through the link, if not directly, then through inflicting massive amounts of pain through the link until the victim has a heart attack or stroke.  I don't think there are any limits to how much you can make the damane feel, as long as you can imagine or remember the sensation, you can make the damane feel it.  I don't recall anything other than touch being used through the a'dam, but it may be possible.

I can not remember any other than touch being used when it comes to giving damane sensations through the a'dam either but I could have missed something. I do not know about killing the damane through the a'dam, as far as I know that is never mentioned, but if there is no limit to how much pain can be given through the collar then off course that will eventually be fatal. I can not remember any limit being mentioned but I wanted to ask here to see if I had missed something. Thank you both for the replies.

Back to foxhead medallion.

Elayne made at least 2 copies before she interrogated the Black.  One of them was stolen.

Mat used 3 medallions (the original and 2 copies) against the gholam. Did they retrieve the stolen one or did Elayne make others?  If the former, where (and/or with whom) did they find it and what happened in between the stealing and the retrieval?  If the later, how many by that time?

There were at least 2 other copies by the time Elayne met with the Cairhienans.  How many copies did she make by that time?

Were there more attempts after that event?  If so, how many of those were successful?

She eventually wanted to make enough to equip all of her guardswomen with them. I assume she makes them as much as possible, considering her pregnancy is getting in the way most of the time.

I knew that before starting the post.

And that seems to not answer the questions.

I have some questions from my reread of tFoH.

1. Why does moiraine put an angreal out by the red stone doorway for lanfear to use?

2. Does Moiraine transfer Lan's bond before she tackles Lanfear? I ask this because she can't tell if Lan is trying to rise or dying immediately before going for Lanfear, which seems odd if they are still bonded. Also, Lan says that Moiraine is gone. However she also went through the doorway ter'angreal in Tear, so if the ter'angreal temporarily severs the bond this would have happened then too and wouldn't necessarily make Lan think she had died. And if it didn't temporarily sever the bond I dont see why this one would, and we know that Moiraine doesn't die.

3. Why is Nynaeve who has no special ability in TAR able to mentally overpower Moghedian who is meant to be master of TAR pretty easily with the a'dam, when Egwene who is a very strong dreamwalker has a real struggle to impose her will on Mesaana who has no particular talent in TAR?

1: Because the ter'angreal in Rhuidean showed her that she needed to battle Lanfear and fall into the doorway, or else Rand will either die or become Lews Therin prematurely. The placement of the angreal must have been part of the events that needed to play out.

2: Everything I have seen/read on the subject says that the connection to the Finns world being severed is what broke the bond. I don't know why she didn't know if Lan was dead or not. Seems to be an oversight.

3: I guess Moghi isn't as good as she thinks she is. Part of her believed that the a'dam would work, and so it did. Also, she doesn't like pain, so when Nyn began punishing her with the a'dam, Moghi's will collapsed. Moghi is great at what she does when she thinks she has control, but loses it when she feels she doesn't.