DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ask A Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (No AMoL Spoilers)

Luckers

Well there is the reasons which he killed Anaiya and co.. I don't recall the specifics of the why and how, but it was related to Delena and Cabriana (the woman Semirhage tortured in the LoC scene). That was to hide her true nature - although how it helped I can't recall. 

S/he almost certainly killed to sow distrust of male channelers within the Aes Sedai ranks and hoped they thought it was the Asha'man attacking them. 

At the same time, Balthamael was a crazy bastard. He was a violent womaniser. Before he went to the Shadow he associated with criminals and was almost Bound against doing violence more than once. 

No "official" rape or serial murder is recorded, but after going to the Shadow - where he helped set up human "breeding camps" to feed the Trollocs - I doubt he wouldn't have raped and murdered. 

Balthamael also had a temper, and he was more reckless than Lanfear (which says it all). (either RJ or perhaps Graendal said that)

So he was acting to sow chaos, but he likely had a bit of extra fun with it. 

so was balthamel killing aes sedai in crossroads for actual reasons? (like keeping relationships with Ash'aman from getting off the ground) or is he just throwing a tantrum?

She came into Salidar claiming close relations with Cabriana (the AS tortured by Semi). 

We saw in New Spring that Cabrina, Anaiya and Kairen were close, and it was subsequently confirmed by Niaso when she did enquiries. Presumably, Anaiya and Kairen were killed to keep Halima's cover story.

Good Evening fellow Ladies and Gentleman of the WoT Series.

I have always kept my distance to the Forums of this website, as I have found out on numerous occasions people have died and things have happened that I have not read of. TO be succinct, I am currently reading A Knife of Dreams and I am extremely frustrated at the endless possibilities that could have been put into action to prevent or save a certain someones left body part. Balefire or at least a mention of a Ter'angreal would keep me happy, but I just want to know. Will the DR get this left body part back in future books? 

No. As for the loss of the aforementioned body part, in the scene in which it is lost Rand says that he doesn't care. So he has no strong desire to get it back. He also has a prominent and long standing aversion to killing women, which Semi is. So while balefire might get it back, it would involve doing something he really doesn't want to do in order to get something back that he doesn't really care about.

About Arangar/Balthamel killing the Aes Sedia, the reason is revealed in Knife of Dreams.

About book titles;

-Fires of Heaven. I would guess the fires that occur near the end of the book. heaven; much of the fire came from the Light side.

-Crossroads of Twilight.  crossroads could imply decisions; and a number of the main characters had to make some decisions in that book.  twilight could imply any of these: darkness, the Shadow, the Dark One; maybe other things.  some characters seem to face some form of those things.

-Knife of Dreams.  dreaming and/or telaranrhiod occur at various points in the book; and some characters use knives at least once in the book.

What's the reason behind the names of osme of the books.

"Eye of the World, Great Hunt, Dragon Reborn, Shadow Rising, Lord Of Chaos, Crown Of Swords, PAth of Daggers, Winters Heart all make sense.

But what about Fires Of Heaven, Crossroads and Knife of Dreams?

Fires Of Heaven and Crossroads of Twillight are from the prophecies of the Dragon. Knife of Dreams is from the book Fog and Steel by the general Madoc Comadrin.

Edited by Master Ablar

Which of the Great Captains is the best?  Or are they all equal?  I have a vague impression that Rodel might have a slight edge but I can't remember what each has accomplished so not sure whether this is based on facts or just that I have recently reread his impressive campaign against the Seanchan.

Which of the Great Captains is the best?  Or are they all equal?  I have a vague impression that Rodel might have a slight edge but I can't remember what each has accomplished so not sure whether this is based on facts or just that I have recently reread his impressive campaign against the Seanchan.

I think at their level, there is no significant difference. When you're as skilled as they, you're simply in the class above, with anyone capable of beating anyone.

There is a scene that mentions all 5 captains.  I do not remember where that scene is; I think Knife of Dreams.

There is a scene that mentions all 5 captains.  I do not remember where that scene is; I think Knife of Dreams.

I believe it's in CoT. It's when Rand and Cadduane are discussing the Seanchan's military prowess.

I have a couple of questions on Egwene's arc in tGS.  I had only read this book once previously, and skimmed through it very quickly so my memories of it were quite vague but I remember Egwene being pretty awesome for the most part.  On the other hand, I remembered the Egwene of ToM being a bit 'all over the place' and inconsistent.  

However, I am reading more carefully this time and there already seem to be some quite contradictory actions and thoughts coming from her.  One example that I read yesterday is that within the same chapter Egwene tells Meidani that she does not care what Meidani thinks of her, and something along the lines of ''An Amyrlin does not need respect/regard(?).  She only needs to be obeyed.', and then a few pages later she tells the Black Ajah Hunters that loyalty must be earned rather than demanded.  Not quite completely contradictory statements, but very much at odds with each other.

So I wanted to ask, was Egwene written mostly by BS or RJ in tGS?  If its mostly BS I can dismiss it as a new author not quite 'getting' her characterisation and growth.  If its RJ, it makes her a bit less likeable for me.

My other query is regarding the AS which start asking Egwene's advice on matters.  I had remembered (completely wrongly!) Egwene taking months to win over the loyalty of the AS in the White Tower, rather than just nine days, which makes it harder to accept to begin with.  I have no problem believing the Novices would follow her - they aren't used to standing up for themselves and having high admiration for someone who can willingly take beating after beating is perfectly understandable.  

I think I must be missing something with regards to the Aes Sedai who ask her advice though.  There is a chapter where Three Sisters who are teaching Egwene ask her advice on various things.  Egwene states within the chapter that she is never taught by the same sister twice, apart from one of the Brown Sisters who she goes to for the second time.  She also mentions that her lessons with the Aes Sedai are never more than an hour long.  One of the Sisters asks Egwene's advice about an ageing Warder.  As far as I am aware this is the first time she has met Egwene.  From the chapter, it seems that Egwene demonstrates some weaves for her, and then the Sister goes straight into asking Egwene for advice.  I don't understand why an Aes Sedai, who believes Egwene to be a puppet Amyrlin, and has only been in the Tower with her for 9 days, is asking an 18 year old girl without a Warder for advice.  It makes the Aes Sedai look ridiculous.  Her only knowledge of Egwene can be that she is good at taking punishment and has a strong will.  Her only interaction with Egwene as far as I can see is watching her do some weaves.  

Am I missing something?  Has Egwene already met with some of these Aes Sedai?  Or do they have knowledge of her taking control and actions in the rebel camp?  Furthermore, is that really the kind of thing a Sister asks an Amyrlin?  So I don't even understand it from its intention, which I think is to show the Aes Sedai beginning to recognise Egwene as the true Amyrlin.  I can't believe that the Amyrlin deals with sisters queries on their warders.

Edited by Rhienne

I agree with you for the most part, but to justify the AS actions I might say that the AS within the WT were desperate for leadership.  They were paranoid, separated, and depressed.  And in walks Egwene, head high, defiant to Elaida the tyrant.  It could be some of them instantly respected her more than the Salidar AS did.  It could also be that they were testing her, in a way, and gaging her answers to see if she was fit to throw their allegiance behind.

As for her contradictory statement, I might chalk that up to her using different language to influence different personality types.  I think in her head she firmly believed that respect must be earned, but at times she had to give more of the "parental" answer of "because I said so."

I like the idea that they were testing her. I find egwene very hard to judge because she isn't very introspective. We see rand, perrin, nynaeve etc. Explaining their actions via their internal thoughts but a lot of egwenes actions can be interpreted in different ways. I wish I knew how rj had intended her arc to come across.

Is someone killed by Balefire reborn again?  Ir is their thread gone forever?

Yes, and no. Balefire merely kills you in the past, it doesn't destroy your soul.

Are we sure about that?  Killing someone with balefire diallows the DO from bringing them back.  I always understood it as burning their thread completely out of the pattern

No, the soul is still reborn. It only burns the thread back a few minutes - days (however strong the balefire is). The soul is not gone forever. 

There are only a few ways to completely destroy a soul. 

Becoming a Gray Man allows the DO to "devour" the soul. 

For wolves, if they die in TaR, the soul is destroyed. For humans, that is not the case, even if they go in the flesh, they are still reborn. 

Is someone killed by Balefire reborn again?  Ir is their thread gone forever?

Yes, and no. Balefire merely kills you in the past, it doesn't destroy your soul.

Are we sure about that?  Killing someone with balefire diallows the DO from bringing them back.  I always understood it as burning their thread completely out of the pattern

We are completely sure. RJ said so. He also said why Shai'tan can't get their souls - He only has a limited window, and so the window is gone before He's aware that He has to grab them.

So what about balefire makes the DO unable to bring someone back?  Is it because he can't reach back in time to "grab" the person's thread?

Yeah. You answered your question. After death, he only has a small window if time to grab their thread before it is beyond his reach. Balefire means their thread isn't just cut, but burns a little bit backwards in time. It disappears before the DO is even aware they're dead.

I think RJ originally planned for it to be permanent extinction, but changed his mind. He did clarify in an interview how it does work, which we've explained.

Edited by Agitel