DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Big (Currently) Unoticed Thing In Books 4-6 (Mistborn Spoilers)

Luckers

I agree with what your post a lot, I like this idea. Even if this is not the case I hope that ideas like this make their way into Bsanderson's head.

I can imagine a situation whereby TDOT9Ms says "Yo Rand, kneel before me now and I will swear fealty to you in return" (thinking that this sounds like a 50/50 deal and if Rand goes first she saves face etc, Rand kneels and all of a sudden that's the deal done -

Therefore Rand says f-all about loyalty and just the act of kneeling down gets the whole of the Seanchan to sign up to the Rand Act 2010. That would fit with the dodgy way that they go about such things, such as the whole way that Matt and her got hitched in the first place. If I was Matt I'd just get it annulled but what ho.

Very interesting is the idea that the crazy cow could sense the source - and this means she could use the oath rod.

Anyway I would like to see one of these chairs being used even if its something like just getting the generals to swear fealty.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My reasons for why the Crystal Throne and/or Rhuidean Ter'angreals are a great idea:

1.  Aviendha will be going back to Rhuidean shortly, and she has the ability to figure out what ter'angreal do.  Surely this will be important to the plot...

2.  Rand does need to "bind" the Nine Moons to him.  What better way than with either a) a ter'angreal like the Crystal Throne or b) a different ter'angreal like the Oath Rod?  Very cool thinking.

3.  We know the next book is called Towers of Midnight, so it can be assumed that at least a small part of the book will be about the Seanchan and/or even possibly the very Towers of Midnight in Seandar themselves.

4. Fortuona and the Seanchan very likely know Traveling now, and IMO, the first thing she would do would be to Travel to Seanchan and grab the Crystal Throne.  Some have said they don't think the Throne will ever leave Seanchan because of tradition or what-not, but I disagree.  The Seanchan's intentions were to eventually take over Randland, and, IMO, completely leave Seanchan to "reclaim the land that was their's."  It makes sense that the Crystal Throne would be eventually put into the new Seanchan capital city (They were probably hoping that city would be Tar Valon, but for now, it is Ebou Dar).

5.  Even if the Crystal Throne isn't the "Big Thing" I think the ter'angreal in Rhuidean will play an important role.

very good points, I never thought to consider Avienda's talent coming in hady with recognizing the binding chair, but it all fits

So Aviendha finds and identifies a binding chair, and Rand makes a conciliatory gift of a replacement 'Crystal Throne' to Tuon/Fortuona.  Tuon believes she is now ruler of the universe.  As Tuon sits down in her new throne, Rand smiles to himself while he kneels to her as she takes her place on the throne.  She plops down and then he jumps up and says "Gotcha b*tch!". 

In truth, I doubt this scenario, but we'll see what happens.  Two minutes with an a'dam on her neck and Tuon would self-rationalize how they were wrong.  She's just being such a damned hypocrite about it.  She 'chooses' not to channel, so that makes her different???  Meanwhile she's enslaving 12 year old girls born with the spark?  She could just slap a shield on them and tie it off if she just wanted to shut them off from the Power.  Such a hypocrite.

So Aviendha finds and identifies a binding chair, and Rand makes a conciliatory gift of a replacement 'Crystal Throne' to Tuon/Fortuona.  Tuon believes she is now ruler of the universe.  As Tuon sits down in her new throne, Rand smiles to himself while he kneels to her as she takes her place on the throne.  She plops down and then he jumps up and says "Gotcha b*tch!". 

In truth, I doubt this scenario, but we'll see what happens.  Two minutes with an a'dam on her neck and Tuon would self-rationalize how they were wrong.  She's just being such a damned hypocrite about it.  She 'chooses' not to channel, so that makes her different???  Meanwhile she's enslaving 12 year old girls born with the spark?  She could just slap a shield on them and tie it off if she just wanted to shut them off from the Power.  Such a hypocrite.

i never liked tuon to begin with. i loathe arrogant people.

o and i found a mention of the towers of midnight as i was rereading the Great Hunt.... when the sul dam was explaining why men cant be as awesome as she is. damene... their treatment is horrific. i hope that stops, somehow involving the binding chair.

the only hole i see in that theory is getting tuon to sit down in it. lol

When the darkfriend and non-darkfriend Aiel are done stabbing each other, only a "remnant of a remnant" will remain.

I believe the "Remnant of a Remnant" refers to the Shaido/Brotherless who have gone back into the waste.

The remaining clans will remain on the west side of the Dragonwall and gradually revert back to their peacenik sing-songy Egwene...sorry Aes Sedai serving ways.

Therefore the only survivors of the militaristic Aiel culture will be the remnants of one clan out of thirteen - this of course, is my theory only.

3.  We know the next book is called Towers of Midnight, so it can be assumed that at least a small part of the book will be about the Seanchan and/or even possibly the very Towers of Midnight in Seandar themselves.

Except I'm pretty sure we've been told that the books won't go over to the Seanchan continent again. As in there won't be any scenes in the book taking place there. IIRC.

When the darkfriend and non-darkfriend Aiel are done stabbing each other, only a "remnant of a remnant" will remain.

I believe the "Remnant of a Remnant" refers to the Shaido/Brotherless who have gone back into the waste.

The remaining clans will remain on the west side of the Dragonwall and gradually revert back to their peacenik sing-songy Egwene...sorry Aes Sedai serving ways.

Therefore the only survivors of the militaristic Aiel culture will be the remnants of one clan out of thirteen - this of course, is my theory only.

Correction: The Shaido are heading for the Waste. Without Travelling, it's going to take them a while to get from Malden to the Spine. It might take them even longer to find a way through since the Westlands until Jangai Pass and the areas South-West of Jangai are firmly controlled by Rand's forces, including Aiel. So they won't find it that easy to snake through and may have to detour quite a way North.   

Good thread, I've peeked in periodically, but haven't read it all.

My favorites so far:

1. Aviendha/Rhuidean Binding chair.

It incorporates my favorite part of the series (Aiel/Rhuidean) sticking it to the character I hate most, Tuon.

2. Tinkers/Song/Ogier (maybe even an assist from Avi with a Rhuidean find).

Lots of other good ideas as well.

OK, so this is my theory for the unnoticed thing.  I've only seen this idea mentioned once on any of the forums (as far as I can recall) so maybe BS missed it on the forums too.  I'll give you a little lead in. . .

In CoS from Sammael's POV when speaking to Sevanna after having given her the binder/oath rod, he says: "There is a thing called a binding chair.  Binding people who cannot channel is more difficult than binding those who can.  Perhaps a binding chair survived the Breaking . . ."

The "unnoticed" thing (perhaps) is that the crystal throne is a binding chair, but even more than that . . . Rand has one of his own.

BOOK 4:  (at the central square in Rhuidean) pg. 678 reads: "he [Rand] shoved a plain-carved chair of red crystal aside . . ."

BOOK 5:  (once again looking over the square in Rhuidean) pg. 57 reads: "Directly below him lay a vast plaza . . . littered with a jumble of statues and crystal chairs . . ."

I couldn't find the other quote I was looking for, but I remember that there was a description of a Seanchan coin in one of the books (I believe somewhere between books 4 and 8 ) where it is described as having a picture of a stern faced woman on the front and a sturdy, plain-looking chair on the back.

(I also couldn't find any mention of whether it was one of the ter'angreal Moiraine had put on the wagons to take into Cairhien.)

All this leads me into some pretty big questions: with Seanchan in turmoil and civil war, even though Fortuona presumably has access to Traveling now, will she have access to her precious Crystal throne?  I'm sure she will try to secure it (so that the Dragon can kneel before it), but will she be able to?  Might a rival claimant have hidden it away?  Will she have to "borrow" Rand's to solidify her position as Empress in the lands she does hold?  Is this how Rand will be able to "bind the nine moons to him?"

Seems pretty likely to me! 

A lot i like this. brownie points shall be awarded via due process.

Hmmmm.... good find.... good theory.... I have other questions though....

If the crystal throne is a binding chair, then Semi would know it, and therefore possibly Demandred? (heheheh)

If there were binding chairs in Rhuidean would not Lanfear or Asmodean have recognized them, and possibly told someone?

Did Sammy ever find one, did Greandal? (If she did its gone now)

Wow, this was going on for quite some time now. I guess I need to check in more often.

I have a question for you guys. I always thought that a binding chair was something like the device AS use to scare off criminals. You know, that thing that the BA hunters used on Talene. i.e. the binding is not actually "engraved on your bones" as with the oath rod, but rather conditioned like in the clockwork orange (through VERY effective torture).

Since no one even mentioned that, I'm guessing that there's something I'm missing, a reason why it's more likely to be connected to the Crystal Throne. Could you help me out?

I think people are misunderstanding some thing(s). The Crystal Throne and a binding chair are not the same thing IIRC. The crystal throne causes others who are not sitting in it to revere/obey the person who is sitting in it. Right?  A binding chair is more like a torture chair or a temporary oath rod chair thingy. So, I was suggesting that maybe there will be some sort of Crystal Throne duplicate in Rhuidean that Rand can use to bind her to him.  Or a binding chair that he can fake to make it seem like the Crystal Throne perhaps. But this seems less likely to me. 

This is one of the most awesome theories I have ever seen!

Your kudos should go to Perish Swar (sp) who posted the theory a couple of pages back. I like the idea, like I said in my post too that if the B.U.T is not this or any of the other great tid bits here that I hope BS gets reminded of these bits and bobs and incorporates them into the story.

This thread, and the others like it around the interweb, is possibly BS's greatest resource of "WOW" moments that he doesn't even have to come up with himself. Great bits of plot lines are being laid out here, BS can just pick the best ones and get on with it.

Its like saying "I know the combination to your locker, do you"

"yes of course I know it"

"prove it"

"12345"

"Ah ha! Gotcha"

That sort of thing. I'd be doing it if I was the author of one of the most talked about books on the net.

The chairs ter'angreal are a nice thought and not discussed much that I can recall.

The only issue there is that chairs are not "really going on", they're just lying around with the odd mention, (unless you include the torture of Talene) and the way the BS quote was put made me assume it was an ongoing theme

I'm also inclined to Aiel DFs, which has also not been dissected with anything approaching the same enthusiasm as Bela's channeling abilities or Messi's big blue eyes.

The chairs ter'angreal are a nice thought and not discussed much that I can recall.

The only issue there is that chairs are not "really going on", they're just lying around with the odd mention, (unless you include the torture of Talene) and the way the BS quote was put made me assume it was an ongoing theme

I'm also inclined to Aiel DFs, which has also not been dissected with anything approaching the same enthusiasm as Bela's channeling abilities or Messi's big blue eyes.

Actually I had quite the opposite interpretation.  actually, especially after hearing BS mentioning the thing in Mistborn.  Aiel Darkfriends doesn't seem likely because there isn't anything overlooked.  It seems to me that there is something specific that's been overlooked, not an idea, but something *actually* in the text. 

Your kudos should go to Perish Swar (sp) who posted the theory a couple of pages back. I like the idea, like I said in my post too that if the B.U.T is not this or any of the other great tid bits here that I hope BS gets reminded of these bits and bobs and incorporates them into the story.

This thread, and the others like it around the interweb, is possibly BS's greatest resource of "WOW" moments that he doesn't even have to come up with himself. Great bits of plot lines are being laid out here, BS can just pick the best ones and get on with it.

Its like saying "I know the combination to your locker, do you"

"yes of course I know it"

"prove it"

"12345"

"Ah ha! Gotcha"

That sort of thing. I'd be doing it if I was the author of one of the most talked about books on the net.

i really hope this happens, shes a b... not very nice lady

I second that

This is something I posted six weeks ago or close in the Seanchan thread. In it I mention something vaguely along the line some of you are suggesting here.

Even "un"-corrupted prophecy is open to interpretation, and hardly ever means what some would be scholar thinks it means. Thats been said a thousand times here and elsewhere, and by RJ himself.

Outside of the Forsaken these Seanchan gits are the SINGLE most arrogant bunch of horses arses in the whole flamin' story. Nothing they believe can be wrong, disputed or even considered. Gosh, how lifelike is that?

Don't forget ... The "sul'dam can use the OP" card is still on the table but up someone's sleeve. For"tuon"a bloody Knows it too, but has deluded herself into thinking it's "superstition", a lie, or is just plain ignoring it.

The Crystal Throne, also don't forget, is a powerful ter'angreal, that forces compulsion (or something similar, obeisance maybe, I'm too lazy to go check) on those who stand within it's range of influence. WHO has the bloody thing now? Is it "automatic", or is there a hidden off/on switch? Hmmmm?

How ironic would it be, for Rand and a couple piano movers to pop out of a doorway in SeanchanVille, snatch up the chair and split? Show up next in Elbow Duhhh.... and set up shop as Billy BadArse and have Oh 4Tuna, steppin' and fetchin' to HIS desires. THAT could change some bloody attitudes towards collaring women who don't WANT to be. Meaning those AS this bunch o' scrubs have gathered up recently. Most of the ones who've been puppy dogs for a while are lost causes.

OR her Tiny Hineyness, gets her gateways (by virtue of the scrub "Elvira" of the new stupid name) and does the above described deed her own self... Now wouldn't THAT set the Chicken Snake loose in the hen coop?

Not that I have the slightest belief that this is "tBUT". My guess, is that after two months and all this "discussion" it's still not been touched upon.

If Sanderson takes time to wade through this hundred pages of bilge, then we'll never SEE the next volume until the next US Presidential election... if then. I would also be really disappointed if he took anything from here to include in the story. Personally I'd be inclined to ask some of you how many moons orbited your planet... Jeeeeeez!

An oath rod-esque chair thing in Rhuidean might also explain Amys' young face with her white hair. If it works at all like the Oath Rod. Just a thought.

No, I'm pretty sure I've seen an RJ/BS quote (or did someone actually said that in the books?) that Amys's hair started turning white in her twenties, and that her apparent youthful face coupled with white hair is nothing mysterious (just the effects of her slowing, and the condition that made her hair turn white early on).

I'll go look for the quote now, and edit this post if I find it.

I forgot to add this to the end of that post above.

** and ... "The Crystal Throne is, in fact, a ter'angreal that inspires awe in all who approach."

Nothing more is known about said article of furniture. So, other than it being jaw droppingly ostentatious it probably has no other "power" to make anyone DO anything. Seanchan, being trained from infancy to bow and scrape to any bugger with a whack haircut or a shaved dome would of course become incapacitated with "shock and awe"... Rand, other than mouth breathing for a while, likely would not even take a knee.

I forgot to add this to the end of that post above.

** and ... "The Crystal Throne is, in fact, a ter'angreal that inspires awe in all who approach."

Nothing more is known about said article of furniture. So, other than it being jaw droppingly ostentatious it probably has no other "power" to make anyone DO anything. Seanchan, being trained from infancy to bow and scrape to any bugger with a whack haircut or a shaved dome would of course become incapacitated with "shock and awe"... Rand, other than mouth breathing for a while, likely would not even take a knee.

I think this description comes from the BWB, which either RJ or his people said was accurate in some things but not in others. To the best of my knowledge no one elaborated about any particular inaccuracies which would seem to indicate that there is something relevant to the unfolding story that the BWB got wrong. Or maybe I'm mistaken and this info about the Crystal Throne came from the actual text of the novels?

There is nothing.... nada.. in any of the novels that indicates anything different than what the BWB describes. At least nothing that I recall from innumerable reading's/listens.

It's a chair that inspires awe. If someone is sittin in it the onlooker is going to rightly think, it's the butt IN the chair that is the awesome one. I would not expect the EMPRESS, may she choke on a chicken bone, is ever to be seen NOT sittin' her carcass in said chair.

I love the tuon-binding-chair theory, it would be so fitting! She deserves to get her tiny ass a'dam-ed for a while, to get a taste of what ts like. Not long enough to break her entirely so she goes all puppy-dog, but long enough for her to be broken a little. I hate her and all the seanchan (minus Tylee Khirgan and a few other nice ones) with a passion, even more so since TGS.

I found it amusing that they saw the white tower as a huge, super, uber-threat to them, and imagined the Aes Sedais' hand behind every little occurence, when the Aes Sedai were broken and feuding since book 4! Hilarious!

Archived