DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Big (Currently) Unoticed Thing In Books 4-6 (Mistborn Spoilers)

Luckers

whats a FUBAR? and is there a place that has a list of the acronyms? i have no idea what most of them mean. what is IIRC and its variants?

I have no idea what FUBAR is, but is sounds awesome!

IIRC = If I remember correctly, or If I read correctly, or If I recall correctly.

FUBAR > "Fouled" Up Beyond All Reason/Recognition  (usually "Fouled" is substituted for something more... colorful)

SNAFU > Situation Normal All "Fouled" Up

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SLAYER

Some focus has been paid to Isam but not as much to Luc.  He seems to be the manifestion of Slayer in the real world.  And it is inferred that he was not a DF originally but sent on his path by Gitara, the same as his sister.   Could Slayer be the actual 3rd member of Mat’s group into the ToG?  Maybe Jain is just there to deal with Isam while Luc redeems himself.   This also ties into the ongoing statements that one should not enter TAR physically without losing your humanity.

I think this could have something to do with it as I have a feeling this is going to happen to Rand/Moridin. Rand'd body dies to fulfill the prophecy but with Ishamael's soul inside and Rand will get a new lease on life with Moridin's body.

Im probably gunna get shot down for this but could the thng be bout when they went through the portal stones and lived all those alternate lives. Maybe its about those and what people learnt frm those lives

Thats book 2, The Great Hunt.

After Alanna bonded Rand in Book 6, Fain felt that a part of his own link to Rand was diminished.  This is from Fain's POV right after the bonding:

There was a difference lately, a difference that had come suddenly, almost as if someone else had suddenly taken a partial possession of al'Thor, and in doing so pushed away a part of Pain's own possession. No matter. Al'Thor belonged to him.

Thank you, had forgotten about that.

Im probably gunna get shot down for this but could the thng be bout when they went through the portal stones and lived all those alternate lives. Maybe its about those and what people learnt frm those lives

Thats book 2, The Great Hunt.

does rand remember all those live and consequences of his options

To me, it comes down to the Tinkers and the Search for the Song.  We learn a LOT about the origins of the Tinkers in book 4, at the same time we have more Tinker interaction in that book as well Rand with Aram, the rest of the Traveling People.  I have wondered for some time if Perrin will find the Song and if that will have some kind of incredible power that tips the scales.  

In T'A'R Egwene focuses on need and finds a caravan of Tinkers in Seanchan territory.  Perhaps Perrin's inroads with the Seanchan and his familiarity and respect of the Tinkers will put him in a position to hear the right things from both sides, perhaps the Seanchan cycle has enough of the information that a Tinker in Randland can deduce the answer to where the song went and what it is.

I really think the Tinker's have a role to play, and the only person with significant interaction with Tinkers is Perrin.  His choosing the hammer may be a key, as he carries a tool for building rather than a pure weapon to live by and the Tinkers won't tell about the Song to one who carries a weapon? 

Further, I think the role it could play has something to do with the Dragon "being one with the land."  If the song renews and replenishes the land and makes it strong and good, can it clean and strengthen Rand with it, give him the strength to defeat the Dark One?

You'll note from all the "perhaps" in this post that I really have litte idea here.  Just thinking out loud.  

About the Binding Chairs. Have we ever been told what or how they do the binding? The reason I ask is, we seem to be assuming it binds the person sitting on it. What if it binds the people who kneel to it to the person sitting on it? Then the Crystal Throne, with its ability to inspire awe etc could quite easily be a Binding Chair as it binds people to it. And then it follows that if Tuon sits on it, she will bind Rand, and he will have to kneel - which solves the problem of the prophecy and the fact that Rand would never kneel to Tuon - he wont have a choice.

This also reflects on the Aiel never sitting on a chair - only the Cheif has one, only used for very specific duties. And Rhuidean too, and its crystal chairs.

Of course, if the Binding Chairs use has already been described, the whole thing falls apart. Just a thought.

Funny that, I'd totally forgotten about the chiefs distaste for chairs except for passing judgement or such. Does tie in very neatly.

Seems to me the Throne in Seandarhas at least a temporary (awe inducing) 'binding' effect on those in front of it, while the Binding chair in the WT has an Oath type effect on the one sat in it. Does seem like the Chair from Rhuidean will have a job of some kind. I did mention this once a couple months back, tied to Egwene's dream of Rand sitting in some woman's chair, and the owner being 'murderously' angry. This was dismissed as Elayne's anger over the Lion throne, but I think that 'murderously' is stretching that quite a lot.

To me, it comes down to the Tinkers and the Search for the Song.  We learn a LOT about the origins of the Tinkers in book 4, at the same time we have more Tinker interaction in that book as well Rand with Aram, the rest of the Traveling People.  I have wondered for some time if Perrin will find the Song and if that will have some kind of incredible power that tips the scales. 

In T'A'R Egwene focuses on need and finds a caravan of Tinkers in Seanchan territory.  Perhaps Perrin's inroads with the Seanchan and his familiarity and respect of the Tinkers will put him in a position to hear the right things from both sides, perhaps the Seanchan cycle has enough of the information that a Tinker in Randland can deduce the answer to where the song went and what it is.

I really think the Tinker's have a role to play, and the only person with significant interaction with Tinkers is Perrin.  His choosing the hammer may be a key, as he carries a tool for building rather than a pure weapon to live by and the Tinkers won't tell about the Song to one who carries a weapon? 

Egwene was concentrating on what she needed to see, and then was brought to the Tinker's village.  The fact that the fire was constant in TAR implies that it was a permanent fire.  It is reasonable to conclude that this was one of the semi-permanent Tinker caravans that was setting up a village in Seanchan territory, possibly near Ebou Dar (no, not Rand's visitation, which was later).

The significance of this has nothing to do with the Tinkers.  The significance of what Egwene needed to see was that the Seanchan are not evil.  Egwene was kidnapped and, in her mind, tortured by the Seanchan.  She thinks them evil, and at this point would never consider an alliance with them even with a Shadowspawn army on her doorstep. 

What Egwene needed to see was that the Seanchan are good to most people, and she's going to need to focus on their commonalities and ignore their differences until after TG.

I'm not the first to think of this.. well maybe in this manner. If Rand "gates" to Seanchan and snatches The Crystal Throne, then gates to Elbow Duh and sits his hinney in the chair in their little throne room do you think Oh Fortuna might get a bit aggravated?

I thnk the tinker song is to obvious and not really unnoticed

I am most likely completely wrong but I have always thought the Aiel know the song. But of course there are two very large obstacles for that. Aiel don't sing except for battle chants. Aiel will not speak to tinkers.

Hmmmmmm, Bornhald.

In book 4 hes in a rather long contact with Fain,it's stated that Fain's taint rubs off on everyone. Hes should come into contact with Perrin in the next book if he's still with Galad. Could be something to think about. It's not on "The List" and certainly has gone unmentioned, the possible Taint on Bornhald ( could be scene through his drinking) and now he is coming back face to face with Perrin. Should be very interesting.

I believe it will be something to do with Mat! Seeing as ToM has the rescue. This is a rundown of Mat's story book 4-6

Egwene tells Mat about the doorframe ter'angreal.

Mat encounters the Aelfinn beyond the twisted doorway

Rand drives Callandor into the Heart of the Stone. He leaves Tear, along with Mat, Egwene, Moiraine and Lan, and uses a Portal Stone to take them to Chaendaer. They meet Amys and the other Wise Ones. Rand demands the right to enter Rhuidean. Mat goes with him

In Rhuidean, Rand enters the glass columns, while Mat finds another doorframe ter'angreal, and goes through it to encounter the Eelfinn

Rand finds Mat hanging from Avendesora, and revives him.

Darkhound attack Mat in bed with Melindhra

Mat gets his hat and camp gets attacked that night by Trollocs.

The Battle of Cairhien. The Shaido are defeated, and driven towards Kinslayer's Dagger. All the Aiel clans except the Shaido join Rand's forces.  

Mat kills Couladin.  

Mat has been undefeated against Andorian soldiers and brings news of Morgase's apparent death.

Melindhra tries to kill Mat, revealing herself to be a Darkfriend. He kills her and after swears not to kill another woman.

Moiraine and Lanfear disappear through the redstone doorframe ter'angreal, presumed dead. Leaves letters.

In the night, Rand visits Mat in Maerone and tells him of Taim.

In Maerone, Mat meets Olver for the first time.

The Band of the Red Hand leaves Maerone, heading towards Tear

Halfway to Tear, Mat and the Band find a slaughtered Tinker caravan. "Tell the Dragon Reborn..." is scribbled on a wagon.

Rand learns the location of Salidar and sends Mat there to get Elayne.

Mat arrives in Salidar, to discover Egwene is Amyrlin. Elayne meets Aviendha.

Mat dances with Halima, who channels at him. Mat finds Olver has followed him into Salidar.  

Egwene persuades Mat to accompany Nynaeve and Elayne to Ebou Dar

Mat's party stay the night at The Southern Hoop. Adeleas discovers Mat's medallion does not protect against indirect uses of the Power

Mat's party arrives at Ebou Dar. Mat takes a room at The Wandering Woman.

End of LoC ima think hard and crack this. there's some small detail we're missing.

Special thanks to http://wot.wikia.com/wiki/Calendar

ok, you kinda missed al'cair dal in the rundown on mat. thhis is why listing a story line doesnt work in things like this, the detail is supposed tiny, it wont appear in a quick 2 second rundown on major story threads.

Moiraine will be Queen.

lord no! shes turned it down once, in fact she fled from the merest suggestion of it in new spring. elayne is meant to claim it, though i doubt that will happen, technically galad has the best claim at the moment, as per their fathers plan(assuming thom is not elaynes father)

As mentioned earlier in this thread, Bornhald also covered up the murder of Perrin's entire family by Fain.  Bornhald did not authorize it, but he made it look like Trolloc work when he found out what Fain did.

Don't think it's the Big Unnoticed Thing, but I do expect some interesting fireworks involving Perrin in the next book.  Perrin's meeting with Galad is nothing in and of itself, but there are three other meetings that promise to be quite interesting:

1.  Perrin and Dain Bornhald, as mentioned.

2.  Perrin and Byar.

3.  Galad and Morgase.

I think one possibility is that Galad will have a crisis where he can't choose which path is "right", and the outcome is a realization that doing the right thing without consideration of cost is not a good thing.

Archived