DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Big (Currently) Unoticed Thing In Books 4-6 (Mistborn Spoilers)

Luckers

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The school and technology in  general (Mat's dragons, life spans, healthcare,) has been discussed. Not just here but earlier on other sites (wotmania for one)

Not sure that it would qualify. But BS may not have seen the discussions.

FWIW Min sees a vision of two kids dying when the engine is being demonstrated - maybe that does mean another mention during the series. Or of course, Demi and Comma (I can't recall their names but something like that) may die in unconnected ways.

They were all so arrogant in the AOL!

Hehe, yeah they were.  Even putting the Forsaken aside who universally share arrogance as a personality trait to some degree and find the 3rd age primitive, even the good guys in the AOL viewed themselves as the pinnacle of civilization. 

Do you consider tribes that live secluded in the Amazon rain forest primitive?  It's the same concept.  We may not want to say it, but it's true.  The AoL memories are at least honest.

Mat got his memories in The Shadow Rising. Moraine explaines how balefire works in The Fires of Heaven. You missed half of how balefire works.

Um...No.  I didn't say that balefire gave Mat memories, or that the memories had anything to do with the prophecy.  I simply said that by coming back to life after Rahvin died the prophecy was fulfilled.  My point is that the memories have NOTHING to do with the prophecy because they were given to him in TSR, and he hadn't died and lived again until TFOH.

To Red Hand Man: after reading all these pages for the last several weeks, I'm a personal fan of the "heat trick" myself. This theory has been stated once or twice throughout this log before but it hasn't gotten any significant air time. I tend to have a gut feeling about it but have no idea what the implications would be as far a revelation is concerned...but I'm interested to hear more about it if you could.

to Avi "unraveling the web": I believe in a BS or RJ interview I read someone asked this very question about unweaving the gateway as to whether or not it had an effect on time itself and they got a "RAFO", it is definately a cool moment in the series, I doubt its the tBUT, but a brief look (even for a moment) of what the OP could be trully capable of could segue into another "WTF did he or she just do with the OP" moments in the last two books, such as overcoming death and I think this has been ramping up as we continue to read.

Or maybe brain storm our minds for ideas to feel some empty spaces that RJ did not address and BS just wants to fill with things that "the reader" would enjoy and/or like. Idea is disturbing, and honestly I don't really believe (or want to believe) in it but than while we go on the tangent (which we did now for 105 pages of post) we might as well address this elephant in the room :)

I think it might be the way Trollocs transported themselves to the Aiel Waste.  How did they make it all the way to Imre Stand without crossing any Aiel scouts?  It might reveal a way for the shadowspawn to travel among Randland.

I just re-read TSR. There is alot going on at Imre Stand and Cold Rocks that didn't make much sense. The Trollocs suddenly attack Rand et al Imre Stand. The aiel are surprised but the trollocs are defeated anyway. Then 12 days later trollocs again launch a surprise attack at Cold Rocks and are defeated again.  If the Aiel had sent out scouts to find where the attack on Imre stand had come from they could have found out how the trollocs got there and the second attack would not have come as a surprise. This seems out of character.

The other question how did the trollocs get deep in the waste with out being detected? Perhaps waygates? But Ogier only built waygates connecting places where the live steadding, and groves in great cities. There are no ogier in the waste, so there should be no waygates...

That's an interesting observation that I had not seen before. Guess I overlooked it. Most assume they're using the Ways. But are they?

Rand chased Rahvin into TAR but did he use a gateway? He copied something Rahvin did, didn't he? Seems to me some other Forsaken has just popped up outta nowhere with no obvious gateway as well.

Whoever hacked off Sheriam's finger just appeared in the small tent she was in, when she was directed to snatch the Dream Ter'angreal.

SLAYER does not channel, so he does not make gateways. HE stepped out of TAR into the room and killed the two innocents. NO gateway...

Eggy didn't make an actual gateway either when SHE traveled to Salidar via TAR.

Would seem to me that Shadowspawn are using TAR to travel and not the Ways. Which means Big Trouble in Little China when they start popping up ALL OVER Randland and not one big herd of em at Tarwin's Gap which is what everyone seems to be anticipating.

Are Shadowspawn OP constructs? Or TP constructs? Could they pass through a gateway made with TP? Not that the bunch who attacked Rand at that lodge in Haddon Mirk used that, because Morry didn't send them IIRC. Would any of the other Forsaken be using TP? I thought they stayed away from it.

Rand made a gateway to get into TAR in the flesh.

I do not think that whoever hacked off Sherry's finger just appeared. Sherry sensed her outsideand turned to find her in the doorway, didn't she?  :-\

Presumably Slayer has special Shadow-given powers, or perhaps hecan enter without channeling by going to sleep, or some-such, like perrin did? He can enter in the flesh ewithout channeling, cant he?  :-\

Actually, Eggy did make a gateway, which is how she figured out travelling.

Actually, shadowspawn are using the ways, it is not known if they can use or even enter TAR, and if they could, wouldn't Myrdraal be prevented from doing it, because they apparently dont have dreams?

They were made by gene-splicing between animals and humans. It is not known if the OP or TP was used, but it seems likely, and does anyone know if aginor made them before or after he joined the shadow?

There have been several or at least a couple instances of Forsaken just popping out of, or disappearing into nowhere. Shaidar Haran too if I'm not mistaken. Messana or whomever lopped off Sheriams digit didn't show up through a gateway. That's a crowded dang place and at least one someone would'a noticed a dang gateway opening up. Hell they notice them when they're in tents or inside some canvassed off corral or whatever it is they close off "traveling grounds" with. For that matter, Messana AND SH both have just appeared in rooms. Messana I don't recall walking thru a gateway to mess with Aliandra nor did SH when that bugger lit up Messana.

What Eggy used in that tent to get into TAR in the flesh wasn't a normal traveling gateway. It led her to figuring it out but it was different.

Same with Rand v. Rahvin, Rand used a gateway to "skim" but what he did to enter TAR was something else. I mean, I'm not bettin' the Ranch on it, I'm often wrong but that's what I remember.

Hmm, maybe Avi's ability to unravel weaves is also known by the wise ones. That would explain how a DF wise one would get the domination band from Cad's stash. Also Cad notices the Wise One with her is able to learn her weaves by observing her make them. She sets the traps in their presence.

Another tidbit from my reread of TSR...

In the Stone of Tear at the beginning of TSR Moiraine tells the wonder girls that she had sent Siuan an additional note about the plot to free Taim as soon as she heard of it.

"If Joiya speaks truly, it will take Aes Sedai and Warders to guard Mazrim Taim, not just the three of you. I sent a warning to the Amyrilin by pigeon when I first heard Joiya's story. In fact, I sent three pigeons, to make sure one reaches the Tower." TSR Ch. 6

The interrogation of the BA sisters started I would estimate at most a few days after the stone fell (more likely the next morning) and the sisters apparently each 'fessed up very early in th interogation process (see Ch. 5). This would put the second message pigeons at most 4 days behind those sent following the Stone's fall.

In TSR Ch 17. Siuan recieves Moiraine's first message that the Stone has fallen and Rand has Callandor.

In TSR Ch. 47 Siuan complains that there has been no word from Moiraine in weeks to update the situation in Tear.

It seems the pigeons should have arrived at the Tower with Moiraine's well before Siuan was deposed. We never hear about the message arriving at all later on after she was deposed either... Assuming the birds arrived in the tower, what happened to the message?

I wonder who is in charge of the pigeon coups...

Maybe it just didn't get received...

did she say she watched them off...

There could have been a DF pigeon holder...:P

Also, is it that important?

Good question, but I don't think it is the BUT...

I don't know if its important or not... But we are supposed to be looking for weird unnoticed things that are not big but point to something big. I sure didn't think the earring in Mistborn was important at all until like the end of the last book.

Having DFs in the postion to preview and intercept all or even some of the messages into the tower would be a really big thing.

Well, we do know Graendal has/ had a spy network in the Tower, which is watching Messi. So, they could have perhaps intercepted pigeons and eaten the messages along with the messengers.

Superfade can use shadows to Travel like all Fades. Even Aginor didn't figure out how they do it and Fades don't know. Trollocs can exist in TAR for sure - Fades can't but it may be able to construct a Fade like Egwene dreamt up Bela. Can Trollocs step through a gate into TAR - maybe not. But Slayer and Perrin as pointed out above can get there in the flesh, without channeling. So maybe Trollocs can and even Fades.

I believe Slayer was given his abilities by the DO himself. IMO Luc and Isam became one and the same at probably Shayol Ghul. They were twisted in some fashion were one lives in the flesh in reality, and the other lives in the flesh in TAR. To me it has to be the DO's doing because not even the Forsaken can just step out of the World of Dreams. I mean just because a forsaken appears from nowhere doesn't mean they may have stepped of TAR. They could of also used a weave of invisibility and masked their ability to channel. It would just seem to me that only the DO could bestow an ability like that to someone. And seeing that neither Isam or Luc could channel or be Dreamers, he would naturally need to give them a way to do the things that are needed to be done. I don't even think the Forsaken know he exists. Probably only the DO, Moridin, and Shaidar Haran knows of the intity Slayer, and what his purpose is.

Archived