DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Questions/Theories Answered or New Tidbits Added (Full Book Spoilers)

Luckers

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd like to firstly admit that the below is a bit of a looney theory.

It's always struck me as odd the Callandor is actually a sword.  Granted, a crystal one, but still.  Most of the other ter'angreal out there don't have an actual use that derives from their form (though I'm sure Elaida would have used the Bowl of the Winds as a soup tureen if she could have).  Then there's the whole Sheathing the Sword thing that we heard all through book 2 (though never again).  I'm wondering if in some way Rand's body would be the buffer/conduit/whatever that allows the sealing to occur (the wound and all) and it's accomplished by super-powered Callandor going through the wound.  

< /looney theory >

Also, did I miss the whole Morgase being unveiled thing?  I realize that BS said that scenes were moved around, which for me is obvious because, if nothing else, the viewings Rand has had of Mat and Perrin have not occurred yet.  I still totally missed the Morgase being outed thing though.  I've loaned the book to a friend, so if someone could site something, that would be awesome.  Or, if it's blindingly obvious and I've just missed it, just tell me and I'll sit on my hands until my mate is done.  

Editing to add a last comment:  On the Where is Dem thing -- Sammael talking to Graendal says something like "events to the south have Demandred's hands all over them" or something along those lines in book 6 or 7 I believe.  Since we know *so* little about Demandred's location, it seemed like this was RJ dropping us a hint.  At the time, the south had some Seanchan, the Whitecloaks, and the SAS hanging around.  Murandy, as mentioned earlier, actually seemed like a pretty interesting idea except that nothing has actually occurred there. 

We don't see the actual outing.  My guess is Galad does it; as we see through one of Rand's visions that Perrin is with the Whitecloaks.

Tam tells Rand about Morgase in their little meeting that was arranged by Cads.  I don't have the book in front of me so I can't tell you the exact chapter but it is right near the end. 

What with having seen full compulsion in action, as in the chandler's apprentice, I think now that it is almost certain Pevin had been given the same, by Graendal. He had his backup story, and reasons for following Rand, and otherwise he had no personality. Also, the morning of the attack to Caemlyn, he knew Rand was leaving 'somewhere' even though he should not, considering the Aiel would hardly tell him.

I would like to thank everyone for posting all of the things they have about the books

I have read and re-read the series so many times.

It drives my wife crazy.

She had no idea have obsessed I was until PoD came out and she didn't see me with out

the book for a month."How long does it take you to read a book." I've read it three times

now."

I have one question that hasn't been answered or discussed on the boards or signings.

Was the person that betreyed Egwene and leane revealed in TGS?

I've has been cofused on something for a while. Does Rands actions in the last 6 books

mark him as being The Lord of Chaos or is it Demandred.

Is this the place to discuss or is another more suitable.

I thought this was Rand, or perhaps even a metaphor for promoting chaos in the world.  Definitely not Demandred. 

From Chpt. 7 of Lord of Chaos, Demandred's POV:

"Let the Lord of Chaos rule," he told the thrones—though he still wished he knew why it had to be so—and opened a gateway to leave Tel'aran'rhiod.

Demandred wouldn't be regretting his own rule.

I've has been cofused on something for a while. Does Rands actions in the last 6 books

mark him as being The Lord of Chaos or is it Demandred.

Is this the place to discuss or is another more suitable.

The Lord of Chaos is not a specific person, as far as we can tell, but simply an order to spread chaos. At one point, Graendal thinks that small increases in chaos are as important as large, and Semi uses the "let the Lord of Chaos rule" line in KoD, to Suroth.

well its definitely not Demandred. I believe Moridin says after a meeting with all the forsaken when he was talking about how they should let Rand rule for the time being and no one should try and kill him. which i took as it meaning Rand is "The Lord of Chaos". not that it really matters though.

• 2 weeks later...

The source was tainted when the DO struck back - it was a counter strike.

There is a very clear implication here that a one-shot-kill attack from Rand would leave the source fine.

That's my two coppers having read the original prologue again for fun a few days ago.

Also, the wheel of time is all about balance, the TP is not really in keeping with the balance.

Unless it is in balance with the OP, which is doesn't seem to be to me.

I totally agree that the source would not be tainted unless the OP is actually touched to the DO again, as it was when LTT set the seals. Also, great point about balance. I have been mulling that over myself for a little while, and I do think the OP and TP are balanced, because they are equal and opposite. The books have given us plenty of explanation of how saidin and saidar are balanced, with the tension between these opposing forces actually turning the wheel as it spins out the pattern, living souls being the threads. The Creator/OP and DO/TP are also equal and opposite:

• OP is a dichotomy / TP is singular
  • OP is essentially the power of life (Creator's) / TP is essentiall the power of death (DO's)
  • Constructs made with the OP (Nym) had power within nature / constructs made with the TP (shadowspawn) are unnatural & can't pass through OP gateways
  • Creator gave life / DO is the Lord of the Grave
  • Creator is uninvolved by choice / DO strives to be involved
  • Channeling the OP extends life / channeling the TP has terrible, physical consequences
  • Life requires order / death is ultimate entropy
  • (perhaps most importantly) the Creator/OP support balance / the DO tries to destroy balance
  • (I also find it fascinating that both the OP and TP are misnamed: the OP is not "one" in any sense, since it has two clearly defined halves, and since there is another power equal and opposite to it. Meanwhile, there's nothing "true" about the TP. The bore was drilled in the false hope of a wonderful new power to improve life for everyone, and channeling it at all has bad side effects, though it's powerfully addictive).

For these reasons, I think the DO/TP is just as essential to the universe as the Creator/OP. Life is balanced by death. Therefore, the DO can't be destroyed, and victory for the Light means the restoration of balance, not the destruction of the DO. Also, I think it means that the DO can't be completely free of his prison until the wheel is broken and the pattern destroyed. The pattern (life\lives) IS the prison. This would explain why the DO didn't fully escape during the War of Power, even though the Bore was wide open for hundreds of years. If this is true, Rand is actually helping the DO escape by causing so much chaos/entropy in the pattern.

This reasoning also leads me to see some merit in the theory that all three powers, saidin, saidar, and TP must be used to seal the DO's prison. The three are balanced and essential to each other, and balance is essential to victory. I see the issue many have raised about the DO being able to limit access to the TP, and I have a couple wild theories as to how that might be circumvented.

First, has it ever been stated HOW the DO controls TP access? When someone already has access to it, as Rand does, would the DO have to shield/sever him from the source, or does he simply will that access be denied? Is it conceivable that the DO could be unable to quickly stop Rand from accessing the TP?

Secondly, and my personal favorite, involves a concept used sparingly but prominently in the series: that of power storage. Think about the Eye of the World -- an immense pool of pure saidin separate from the source, but ready to be used by any male channeler. Also, Nynaeve has that belt that can store a small amount of saidar. <b>What if Rand sets aside some TP in a reservoir, an Evil Eye of the World, so he doesn't have to get it directly from the DO at the last battle?</b>  :o

To be fair, It may be that using the TP to heal the bore in the pattern is simply impossible by nature. In that case, I'd focus on Rand himself, since the Dragon is one with the land, and the land with the Dragon. It is conceivable that the key to healing the Bore lies within Rand himself.

I always thought that the lord of chaos was another name for Rand seeing how they got the saying from the prophesies...

also, I think that the "to live you must die" has been fuffilled already. to put it simply, DarkRand is dead now, cuz rand laughed; so now Rand can look for survival because he was seeking death before. Also, Rand kind of died emotionally so that could also fufil the same prophesy. or it is yet to be fufilled and i am wrong. but i found that interesting. 

Secondly, and my personal favorite, involves a concept used sparingly but prominently in the series: that of power storage. Think about the Eye of the World -- an immense pool of pure saidin separate from the source, but ready to be used by any male channeler. Also, Nynaeve has that belt that can store a small amount of saidar. <b>What if Rand sets aside some TP in a reservoir, an Evil Eye of the World, so he doesn't have to get it directly from the DO at the last battle?</b>  :o

Remember though, that it took a -lot- of channelers, both male and female, to make the Eye of the World, and all of them died in the process (Pretty sure I remember reading this somewhere, can anyone back me up with a quote?)

Given the chaotic and destructive nature of the TP in comparison, I would imagine that making an Eye out of TP would take a hell of a lot more channelers than it took to make the saidin Eye, yet Rand and Moridin are the only ones who can channel TP.

And given that it took a hundred companions to seal the bore the last time, I don't think a well would store enough TP to fix the bore this time around, if a well could even store TP at all.

I like the reservoir idea, it does seem like the ideas behind the Eye of the World should come back and be relevant at some point.

It strikes me that the wound in Rand's side, which clearly will play some role in the events of the Last Battle, has been described as being something like a cesspool of evil, I don't have any quotes handy but that sort of thing.  I wonder if that could be used as a small amount of the true power locked up in his body there, with a small amount of the Shadar Logoth homespun human evil sitting right next door in case he needs that too.

I don't know were to put this but what happened to Alanna's other warder Ivhon after book six I don't remember seeing or hearing about him.
Ihvon is still around. Owein was killed by Whitecloaks when she went to the TR.

hey everyone

*blows kisses to the room*

Isn't today just beautiful?

*runs outside and picks a handful of flowers*

Here's one for you, and you, and you.

;D

*skips to the middle of the room*

If your happy and you know it, clap your hands!

*clap, clap*

Doesn't that song just get stuck in your head ;)

I thought I remembered hearing that  the Lord of Chaos was another name for the DO?

Also, I ran across something today- a celtic reference- that called the Fair Folk of their mythology the Tuatha An Dennan, or something very similar.

I know the Tuatha'an are descended from the Aiel, but could there be anything to that reference? 

what do people think about the new bit of prophesy that Min unearthed about Callandor that the three need to be one. Could be the three people holding the sword tha is not a sword - 2 woman one man (other discussions already think Elyene and Avi will be the ones - but since they both might be pregnant by the time TG comes - I think that is unlikely)I think it might be Nyn and Egwene - back to the original 5 Two river folks.

Or ... could it have to do with his three "wives" having to be one and agree on something - Min can not channel but she has bonded him and Avi and Elyene have kind of bonded each other ... I know it is way out there but somehow the whole 3 wives thing should play a role at some point.

I don't think it is Rand, LLT and Moridin - to obvious

Anajon

The impression I got was that the 'three' were Rand, Mat and Perrin, though the 'becoming one' part could be more figurative than literal.

There also seems to be a snatch there where Rand/LTT surmise that if he could be reborn, so too could Illyena. I have often wondered about Min, Elayne and Aviendha somehow being a composite of her, explaining why Rand was destined to fall in love with three women even though it went very much against his nature.

Archived