DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Questions/Theories Answered or New Tidbits Added (Full Book Spoilers)

Luckers

Does anyone have a link to the transcript of Brandon's statement about the TP channeling/permission? Forgive my skepticism, but in my experience when people have posted 'RJ said' they usually make a much more direct and definitive statement than the actual statement they are quoting.......any other refugees from wotmania post boards  probably know what I mean.

I haven't seen a transcript I am basing it off the storm leader report found here.

from the report:

Brandon explained that the True Power can only be used by someone that the Dark One has allowed to use it.

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just re-read that chapter.  After Rand attempts once again to seize saidin and fails due to the collar not allowing him (or Semi not allowing him) and whilst strangling Min, it then says:

Rand wailed.  THIS CAN'T BE HAPPENING!  I WILL NOT DO THIS AGAIN!

Something snapped inside of him.  He grew cold; then that coldness vanished, and he could feel nothing.  No emotion.  No anger.

At that moment he grew aware of a strange force.  It was like a reservoir of water, boiling and churning just beyond his view.  He reached toward it with his mind.

A clouded face flashed before Rand's own, one whose features he couldn't quite make out.  It was gone in a moment.

And Rand found himself filled with an alien power.  Not saidin, not saidar, but something else.  Something he'd never felt before.

Oh, Light, Lews Therin suddenly screamed.  That's impossible!  We can't use it!  Cast it away!  That is death we hold, death and betrayal.

It is HIM.

It seems clear to me that "at that moment" the DO recognized through Moridin that Rand had been broken, and then granted him access to the TP willingly.

However, "he reached toward it with his mind" could mean that he's accessing it in some strange way through his link to Moridin (who is "in his mind") but I don't buy that as much.

I think the DO willingly granted access to Rand to use the TP in the moment that his plan worked and Rand was sufficiently broken and therefore completely willing to do ANYTHING necessary, including holding "death and betrayal," to save Min.

Rand says basically "I'll do anything to free her" then his emotions break/disappear, then the DO says "Here ya go" and BAM! Rand has access to the TP, which is likely what the DO and Moridin had planned all along.

Sorry, but I don't buy it. Its one thing that the DO and the Forsaken are incredibly inept, but for the DO to risk Shaidar Haran's exposure to free Semirhage, then let Rand kill seems ridiculous to me. Wasn't Semi going to turn Rand after she made him kill Min? So why the need to give him the TP? Rand being turned would have ended the war in a flash and the DO would have won by default. So your argument that the DO granted permission to Rand BALEFIRE Semirhage doesn't make sense. Over and above that, the DO would have been aware of the possibility of Rand using balefire on one his (the DO's most powerful tools). And if you contend that Moridin 'knew' that Rand was broken, then surely it wouldn't have hurt for the DO to let him kill Min right? Complete the breaking?

In any case, I can't see why the DO would want Rand to be broken at that stage. Broken Rand ass kicked Graendal to hell without any warning. Why make him even more dangerous?

On the other hand, the evidence that Rand channeled via Moridin can be much more securely backed up with evidence to support it. Moridin is that only one who has permission to wield TP (check BS statement), Rand for more than obvious reasons is not on the TP users list so the only answer (which has been forshadowed in the Prologue and in Rand's dream) is the linking of Rand and Moridin. I don't want to think about what that may mean for the Bodyswap theory, but I'm not going to discuss Bodyswap since I just ate a nice meal, and it would be off topic anyway.

Sorry, but I don't buy it. Its one thing that the DO and the Forsaken are incredibly inept, but for the DO to risk Shaidar Haran's exposure to free Semirhage, then let Rand kill seems ridiculous to me. Wasn't Semi going to turn Rand after she made him kill Min? So why the need to give him the TP? Rand being turned would have ended the war in a flash and the DO would have won by default. So your argument that the DO granted permission to Rand BALEFIRE Semirhage doesn't make sense. Over and above that, the DO would have been aware of the possibility of Rand using balefire on one his (the DO's most powerful tools). And if you contend that Moridin 'knew' that Rand was broken, then surely it wouldn't have hurt for the DO to let him kill Min right? Complete the breaking?

In any case, I can't see why the DO would want Rand to be broken at that stage. Broken Rand ass kicked Graendal to hell without any warning. Why make him even more dangerous?

On the other hand, the evidence that Rand channeled via Moridin can be much more securely backed up with evidence to support it. Moridin is that only one who has permission to wield TP (check BS statement), Rand for more than obvious reasons is not on the TP users list so the only answer (which has been forshadowed in the Prologue and in Rand's dream) is the linking of Rand and Moridin. I don't want to think about what that may mean for the Bodyswap theory, but I'm not going to discuss Bodyswap since I just ate a nice meal, and it would be off topic anyway.

Hmmm....  You do have a point.  I guess this is just another one of those things (one of many) where I think theorizers such as me and you will be divided on until we learn more info.

I guess I want to give the DO credit for coming up with a very sinister plan that actually worked, rather than all of the lame Forsaken plots that seem to fall on their faces.

But, what if the DO's goal isn't to completely break Rand, but to just break him enough that he will be willing to use the TP and thus causing a link between the Champion of the Light and the DO himself (not Moridin)?

Also, in the Lexington, KY signing report, they say that "Brandon hinted at some severe limitations on Shaidar Haran to affect the physical world. He says that a lot of actions that people assume to be those of Shaidar Haran in the book in one particular scene were physically carried out by Elza. He further indicated that Shadar Haran would have been incapable of physically placing the collar himself."

So, Shadar Haran didn't free Semi.  He just appeared to tell her that she was given a second chance.  Elza killed/stunned the Aes Sedai who were shielding Semi, and she probably received help from someone else (likely Graendal). It's likely that Graendal was somehow involved since Elza had "compulsion that needed to be removed" and Graendal was specifically asked at the beginning of the book to hit Rand where it really hurts the most (ie. his heart).  Also, Cadsuane mentions that she doesn't understand how anybody got through her wards on the box that was holding the Domination Band and the CK, and she thinks to herself something like, "Who knows what the Forsaken are capable of."  Could anyone other than a knowledgeable Forsaken or Shadar Haran himself break those wards?

All this evidence tells me that this whole meeting was carefully planned, and for some reason Semi was not in the loop.  Now, did they know that Semi would be stupid and not immediately fulfill her assignment (ie. capture Rand and immediately take him to Shayol Ghul), but that she would stick around and have some "fun" first?  No, I don't think that they knew that...  But I think the desired outcome was the same (Rand took the TP out of desperation).

Finally, Verin does speculate that the Forsaken are so selfish in nature that they actually even seem too predictable... So maybe Moridin/Graendal/the DO/whoever did know that Semi would do something as foolish as she did in the end.

Hmmm....  You do have a point.  I guess this is just another one of those things (one of many) where I think theorizers such as me and you will be divided on until we learn more info.

I guess I want to give the DO credit for coming up with a very sinister plan that actually worked, rather than all of the lame Forsaken plots that seem to fall on their faces.

But, what if the DO's goal isn't to completely break Rand, but to just break him enough that he will be willing to use the TP and thus causing a link between the Champion of the Light and the DO himself (not Moridin)?

Also, in the Lexington, KY signing report, they say that "Brandon hinted at some severe limitations on Shaidar Haran to affect the physical world. He says that a lot of actions that people assume to be those of Shaidar Haran in the book in one particular scene were physically carried out by Elza. He further indicated that Shadar Haran would have been incapable of physically placing the collar himself."

So, Shadar Haran didn't free Semi.  He just appeared to tell her that she was given a second chance.  Elza killed/stunned the Aes Sedai who were shielding Semi, and she probably received help from someone else (likely Graendal). It's likely that Graendal was somehow involved since Elza had "compulsion that needed to be removed" and Graendal was specifically asked at the beginning of the book to hit Rand where it really hurts the most (ie. his heart).  Also, Cadsuane mentions that she doesn't understand how anybody got through her wards on the box that was holding the Domination Band and the CK, and she thinks to herself something like, "Who knows what the Forsaken are capable of."  Could anyone other than a knowledgeable Forsaken or Shadar Haran himself break those wards?

All this evidence tells me that this whole meeting was carefully planned, and for some reason Semi was not in the loop.  Now, did they know that Semi would be stupid and not immediately fulfill her assignment (ie. capture Rand and immediately take him to Shayol Ghul), but that she would stick around and have some "fun" first?  No, I don't think that they knew that...  But I think the desired outcome was the same (Rand took the TP out of desperation).

Finally, Verin does speculate that the Forsaken are so selfish in nature that they actually even seem too predictable... So maybe Moridin/Graendal/the DO/whoever did know that Semi would do something as foolish as she did in the end.

A few points that strike me:

- A direct strike does not seem much like Graendal's style, but the Compulsion and dexterity of removing the guardian weaves indicate that it is her. Which makes me wonder why the DO would want to risk so much on one attack - no one knows about shaidar haran - a creature like him can be very useful in the LB if there are more of them. He's also risking Graendal - Rand doesn't know where she is at this point, and the whole purpose of that would be defeated if Rand would just wander into that room at that time with a few of his AS.

-BS's statement doesn't really say for sure what SH could or could not have done. I'm of the mind that the unweaving of the chest weaves was done by Graendal, but he played a role in taking out the AS or at least helping Elza do it.

-If the point was for Rand to use the TP, then this was an extremely strange way of doing it. There was no assurance that Semirhage would be able to find, beat and capture Rand and no further guarantee that Rand would use the TP. I feel that the whole point was for Semirhage to redeem herself. Moridin was extremely pissed at her disobeying him and SH said he would give her one last time to redeem herself to DO. So, she's ordered to do what Ishamael, Lanfear and others have been trying to do since EOTW - turn him to the Shadow forcefully. Even if she couldn't find or capture Rand, it was almost guaranteed that she could cause enough chaos once released to strike a real blow to Rand.

-Semi's tendencies of having fun are well documented but it does raise the question of whose plan this was? Graendal seems likely, as you said, given her orders to cause Rand pain of heart and the indirectness of action also speaks in her favour. But would Semirhage really obey Graendal? And more importantly, would Graendal give semirhage the opportunity to redeem herself to the DO? Given how selfish and small minded the forsaken can be, this seems unlikely.

-If you remember Moggy's explanation of the sad bracelets, she said that the Dom Band could be used with only 1 woman - there was no need for Elza to hold the other controlling band. Furthermore, having two women lowered the control over the man (though Semirhage overcame this via the Compulsion on Elza.) But something seems a little strange here: Graendal pops up with SH and reveals herself to Elza (we know Graendal has extensive contacts among the Darkfriends and BA, so its not unusual that she would know that Elza was BA.) or she might have just compelled her. Next, someone, presumably Elza comes in and takes out the weaves on the chest with the Dom Band but specifically leaves the CK alone.

- - Elza was present at the Cleansing, so she would know about the Ck and would have removed it immediately.

- - If she was compelled though, then it makes sense that she wouldn't pick up the CK. Whoever had compelled her wouldn't have ordered her to pick the CK if she didn't know it was there, which neither Semirhage nor Graendal knew.

Ok, I'm a little fuzzy as to what happened after that - why keep Elza around? She would have been a hindrance and a liability. Have I got the order the attack right? Do Elza, Graendal and SH pick up the Dom Band first and then free Semi? I guess it doesn't matter...

Lastly, how had the Shadow known this attack would cause Rand pain of heart? Semirhage attacked Min via Rand partially to torture Rand and mainly cos she was pissed that Min's knives had cut her twice. How could the Shadow/graendal etc, know Min would be around? Semirhage did not mention any orders so was she left alone to prove herself as she saw fit? Was Graendal even involved then?

Or did Semirhage launch this attack on Rand out of her own impulsive initiative to redeem herself? If so it was poorly thought out and she got quite lucky - but we know that she was never a great planner.

Ok long post....I want answers though. Though I've wandered quite far from the inital TP/Rand/DO/Moridin link topic....sorry.

I think Semihrage's death was due to the fact that she overstepped. She was supposed to take Rand IMMEDIATELY back to Shayol Ghul, not use him to try and kill Min or take him out to slaughter his own followers.

That was her mistake. If she hadn't taken up Rand's challenge to her viciousness, she would have lived.

Pushing Rand so far that he found the True Power was her mistake.

Semihrage deserved what she got there.

Using the TP has some seriously dark effects on Rand, but was this corruption better for the dark side than having not only a captured Rand but also still having Semi? I don't think so, which is why I'd like to see the actual BS quote and if there is any wiggle room there.....

I think Semirhage died in part because of what Shaidar Haran said, she had been broken by Cadsuane in a similar way Kadere noted Melindhra had been broken. The Dark One possibly figured she wouldn't be the same, less predictable at any rate.

The second thing I think was that the Dark One preferred Rand to do what he did there, to accept the Dark One's help, than to be 'forced' to do so in Shayol Ghul where presumably the Dark One might be vulnerable. That is, the Dark One got what he wanted in a safer place. It is no coincidence after all that the black halo appeared thereafter, similar to the one Ishamael had.

Must have been, I think. I remember in the book Elza said, approximately:" I was also instructed to inform you there is compulsion on my mind that you should remove." How I had been found out, can't say, unless perhaps Verin had revealed what she had done. Verin had noted her compulsion would have been very difficult to notice through delving.

When I read about the compulsion I had assumed it came from Verin from way back when she was interviewing all the sisters captured at Dumai's Wells.  I don't have the book here to go back and read the chapter can anyone confirm/deny?

Yes, this compulsion does refer to Verin's "compulsion" on all of the sisters who swore to Rand.

I really don't buy the whole "DO planned rand to use the TP" theory.  We have multiple instances where the link between Mord and Rand is refered to.  Mord in MOL even seems to be real, real tired of it and does not understand it much himself.  It seems more plausible that Rand reached through his link with Morodin , grabbed the true source and used it.  The TS since it comes directly from the DO is what gives Rand that "shadowy" thing that people see out of the corner of thier eyes. I am willing to be the shadow disappers and Rand will be unable to access the TS in the next book.  JMO

This might be a good place to clear up a little confusion.

One Power has two components, saidin and saidar, and springs from the True Source.

True Power has one component and comes from the DO.

True Power does not in any way relate to the True Source.

Why Jordan came up with this naming scheme is anybody's guess, but it does make things needlessly confusing.

warning, major off the wall idea coming up ;)

what is mentioned in i think book six, very minor, little dicussed?

Vaccuoles  ;D

i think it weas Moggy who was thinking about experiemnts done in them in the AOL, where they are outisde the pattern and its rules, and if it closes up with someone inside they and their thread were gone forever...

i think you can see where i'm going with this.... ;)

the minor mention that has been overlooked and is major important is vaccuolers, i stake my reputaion (which i dont have) on it.

either an important thread snaps off in one, or they realise that the DO's prison is in fact a vaccuole, being outside the pattern.

and then you could maybe unanchor it from the pattern, sealing it again... or many other tasty options ;)

I think the True Power and the True Source are a perfect description of the different types of channeling.  People who seek power especially something that is referred to as True Power are usually people with nothing but self interest in mind...it implies that the person is corruptible since they want nothing but power.

Now the True Source implies purity (coming from the Creator who uses it as a source to power the Wheel).  It has a deeper purpose than giving power to individuals.  It is used for the continuation of mankind.

I'm probably not explaining it well, but I think Jordan did a lot of thinking before giving the two versions names and I think the names are a perfect description of what they do, especially in implying the difference between the Light and Dark.

Regarding the DO's reference in having Rand draw the TP vs. taking Rand to Shayol Ghul for a forced Dark-conversion, to my knowledge, we have never actually seen what happens to a human being when 'forced' to the Shadow (i.e., 13 females channeling through a Myrddraal).  This sounds a lot like Compulsion, maybe more permanent, but it might make the subject a vegetable in a lot of ways, such that Rand's ability to break the seals and free the DO would be compromised. 

Thus, there might have been some good reason that corruption of Rand to DarkRand is more preferable than a forced conversion of Rand to the Shadow.

We don't think we've seen how forcing someone to the Dark Side actually works, but maybe we have.  Taim comes to mind; BS said RAFO when someone asked if Taim was turned by 13/13-- not conclusive, but makes me wonder.

The more I read about the holes in my theory that the DO wanted Rand to be forced to take the TP, the less I believe it.  It is more likely that this was a mistake because of Semi's greed.  Had she followed orders like she was supposed to, Rand would be a forced Darkfriend right now.

I still have that nagging feeling that they might have known Semi wouldn't follow orders because of her predictable nature... But I think that is a stretch.

So, the question remains then:  Did the DO intentionally grant Rand access (whether or not it was the original plan), or did he gain the TP through his "mind-link" to Moridin as the passage seems to hint?  Is the DO aware of it?  Is Moridin aware of it?

Finally, Rand was being VERY tortured by Semi right before he took hold of the TP.  Surely Moridin felt the effects of this.  Could this have been why Moridin/the DO granted Rand access to the TP?  So that he would kill Semi so that Moridin wouldn't feel the pain and/or die himself?  Maybe this wasn't a plan of the DO, but a necessary step where Semi forced his hand because Moridin couldn't die yet.

We don't think we've seen how forcing someone to the Dark Side actually works, but maybe we have.  Taim comes to mind; BS said RAFO when someone asked if Taim was turned by 13/13-- not conclusive, but makes me wonder.

I have nothing to back this up, but RJ's RAFO on whether Taim was Shadow-converted might be learning down the road that Taim's been a DF for a long time, since he's allegedly been channeling for 15 years and has never shown any signs of madness.  In LoC Rand thought Taim's lack of fear of the Forsaken might be a sign of madness on Taim's part, but that's more likely because Taim was a DF.

The more I read about the holes in my theory that the DO wanted Rand to be forced to take the TP, the less I believe it.  It is more likely that this was a mistake because of Semi's greed.  Had she followed orders like she was supposed to, Rand would be a forced Darkfriend right now.

I still have that nagging feeling that they might have known Semi wouldn't follow orders because of her predictable nature... But I think that is a stretch.

I agree on this point.  It is undisputed that Moridin ordered Semirhage to attempt to capture Rand, and that he was only ticked off at Semirhage for failing to capture him and for injuring him.  Thus, it makes little sense that all of a sudden that capturing Rand is no longer desired, and that the new plan was freeing Semirhage in an attempt to force Rand to the TP.  Unless Shaidar Haran and the DO are circumventing Moridin's desires on that point...  Remember Moridin has a conflict of interest with the DO potentially, in that he does not want Rand physically harmed so as to avoid pain to himself.  He'd be a bit ticked off if Rand underwent Galina-like treatment again.  Still, everything points to Semi's 2nd capture attempt being legitimate.

So,the question remains then:  Did the DO intentionally grant Rand access (whether or not it was the original plan), or did he gain the TP through his "mind-link" to Moridin as the passage seems to hint?  Is the DO aware of it?  Is Moridin aware of it?

There's really no way to be sure, but I think one way or the other Moridin was aware of it.  The DO might not know unless he micromanages and monitors the end-uses of TP channeling. 

Finally, Rand was being VERY tortured by Semi right before he took hold of the TP.  Surely Moridin felt the effects of this.  Could this have been why Moridin/the DO granted Rand access to the TP?  So that he would kill Semi so that Moridin wouldn't feel the pain and/or die himself?  Maybe this wasn't a plan of the DO, but a necessary step where Semi forced his hand because Moridin couldn't die yet.

As good a theory as any.  Except Moridin doesn't really understand the link to Rand, so who knows if he can voluntarily turn on/off Rand's TP access.

I find it highly probable that Rand accessed the TP through the link with Moridin, not any conscious effort by the DO. Semirhage was ordered to leave immediately with Rand, and her pride/hurt was what forced her to stay. Saying the DO knew Semi would act that way is insane (unless the DO has a 'Finn advisor we are yet to see).

I really wanted to have seen Moridins POV after that scene, I hope mentions it in the next book.

Well, it's only called the True Power by the Shadow.  Maybe the Light could make a less confusing name for it xD

LTT says, after crossing steams with Moridin, that "maybe he was using their so-called true power."

Maybe this has been explained, and I missed it.  If so, I apologize.  How did LTT know that it was the True Power?  How did he know it came from the DO?  Did this come from when he sealed the bore, and the taint occurred?

Secondly, for whatever reason I thought that the "instructed to tell you that I am under compulsion and it must be removed" was part of the original complusion; that when one of the AS that had been compelled met up with a Chosen, that the instruction would kick in.  I don't know why I thought this; perhaps it was "intuitively obvious" to me.

I am not so sure the compulsion Elza spoke of was Verins. In fact, I don't think it was. I like the idea that Graendal was involved, at least with disarming the wards, and compelled her to bring Semi the dom. band. She probably did something to the 3 holding the shield as well, then gate the eff out of dodge. Verin had said her compulsion was all but undetectable, so this is a point I am going to disagree with the masses on.

Maybe this has been explained, and I missed it.  If so, I apologize.  How did LTT know that it was the True Power?  How did he know it came from the DO?  Did this come from when he sealed the bore, and the taint occurred?

Moghedien mentioned in her POV when she met Moridin that 30 or so people in the AOL were granted the privilege of accessing the TP.  LTT appeared to know about the TP, and its implications.  LTT was head of the Light's forces during the War of Power, and I'm guessing at least one of those 30 or so people were captured and interrogated, etc., so that LTT was aware that the TP was a weapon at the disposal of at least some of the Forsaken.  So he probably knew what it felt like and all that from these interrogations, although LTT never accessed it himself.

Nothing to back this up, but that's how I see LTT having any knowledge of it.

When or where was it revealed about Morgase being in Perrins' camp?
The actual revelation appears to have been off screen. It was unknown going into TGS, we see (through Rand's visions of Perrin) that Perrin has met with Galad (who is sure to recognise her) and when Tam shows up at the end he is aware of it. But a scene where it actually comes out is likely to be in ToM

- with the support of Morgase, Perrin will negoiate a treaty with Elayne, annexing the Two Rivers from Andor, allowing the Red Eagle to be raised and Manetheren reborn. In exchange Perrin will, as well as being King, allow himself to be bonded to Elayne,and serve as the Captain General of Andor, leading Elayne's army at Tarmon Gaidon.(Min's vision of Perrin wearing a lion helmet, as king, would therefore be explained.)

Min had no such vision, that was from Lanfear. Perrin doesn't want to annex the TR from Andor, and Elayne doesn't want it to be annexed from Andor. In fact, Perrin says he wants to hand it over, and Elayne doesn't want to give up parts of her country, so it looks like there isn't much cause for conflict here.Perrin hands over TR Lordship to whoever Elayne selects, everybody's happy. Perrin has given up claim to Manetheren, and doesn't want it to be reborn (and Manetheren is a lot more than just the TR). Why would Elayne want to bond Perrin? Why should he be Captain-General?

- The rescue of Moiraine will rely on Thom bringing with him his harp into the world of the Aeflinn/Eelflinn, and Mat will lose an eye in gambling with them to release her. (Is Mat really the Fisher?)
...Rand is the Fisher.

- Rand will be linked to the WT, by becoming the first male Aes Sedai in 3000 yrs.
That's just not going to happen. The divide between them is too great, and Rand doesn't want to be AS, Egwene wouldn't want him to be one, and he wouldn't submit himself to her authority. It's just too far-fetched.

- Egwene will offer the Wise Ones the title Aes Sedai automatically, and make Sorilea Mistress of Novices! (That will give them some backbone!) Also she will change how Aes Sedai are graded, from just merely strength in saidar, to other factors (calibre of will, wisdom, inner strength etc.)
I very much doubt Egwene will try to make Wise Ones AS, and if she did I don't think they'd accept. She has plans to bind all the other Channeling groups to the Tower, but not by making them AS, or by taking over their organisations. While the AS hierarchy should change, I'm not sure if Egwene is the person to do it. I don't think they should have all their flaws as an organisation fixed by the end of the series anyway. Seems too easy.

Put it together we have Moraine and Availa and Rand wield Callandor in a way that protects the source from the dark one but causes them to die which gives us Availa helping Rand die.  The method only works because Callandor is unbuffered (hence you have to use Callandor not some other angeral).  

It all works but it is way out there as Theories go.  So feel free to rip it to shreds. Maybe we will still learn something from it.

Interesting theory with more merit than most. Including some of my own.
Surely you mean all of your own?

If I were to start looking for factual errors in a Sanderson book, I'd look toward metals last considering that he had to have researched them a lot for Mistborn.

I don't know that it would have taken that much research: "Gold? That's the shiny one, right?" "Err, yeah, we'll go with that."

My speculation on exactly why Callandor is flawed is simple.
No need to speculate. RJ said it was a manufacturing error.

When I read about the compulsion I had assumed it came from Verin from way back when she was interviewing all the sisters captured at Dumai's Wells. I don't have the book here to go back and read the chapter can anyone confirm/deny?
It's from PoD Prologue. And yes, I thought it was that that Semi was to remove as well. No need to drag Graendal into this at all.

Archived