DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Questions/Theories Answered or New Tidbits Added (Full Book Spoilers)

Luckers

I wonder what 'paralis' means. Clearly its something specific--if the word 'net' was translated then paralis must be something that has no word in the modern language.

Obviously a ter'angreal invented by that famous AS, Nick "The Greek" Paralis. Unless of course, it's a typo and BS meant to write "paralysis".

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There can be no health in us, nor any good thing grow,

for the land is one with the Dragon Reborn, and he is one with the land.

Soul of fire, heart of stone, in pride he conquers, forcing the proud to yield.

He calls upon the mountains to kneel, and the seas to give way, and the very skies to bow.

Pray that the heart of stone remembers tears, and the soul of fire, love.

The song may not be needed to start things growing again. Rand's own decent into darkness may be the cause of the problems. His corruption causing the food spoilage and the lack of growth.

Alternatively, it could also be that the food spoilage and the lack of growth are separate problems. The spoilage the work of the Dark One and the land laying dormant because it is tied to the heart of the Dragon.  

I've read most of the stuff in this thread, and I can't believe that this hasn't been posted yet. (If it has...whoops!)

In chapter 38, "News in Tel'aran Rhiod", Egwene lets need direct her in the dream world. She is taken to a Tuatha'an camp. I initially read over this very lightly. But in thinking of things that were new to the book, this kept popping back up in my head. Why would need direct her to the Tinkers? What is so important about them that Tel'aran rhiod itself is heeding their call to arms? (yes I get the irony of my last statement...the Tinkers and all)

So what do you guys think? I think that Loial and the Tinkers are going to rediscover the Song and that will help seal the DO's prison. I think that Loail singing to the Greenman's tree corpse will be a HUGE deal in their storyline. Now...I understand that this may be horribly wrong, so be gentle. Discuss...

My impression of this scene is somewhat stretched, but it is the most logical I could come up with.  Egwene is in the World of Dreams, so it is night, What was happening at night elswhere in the world at that time?  Answer:  Rand was resting in the Tinker wagons near Ebou Dar after nearly killing Tam.  What does the world need most right now?  The Dragon Reborn. 

Now, this may have been simmply "where is Rand" sort of need,or it may have had a deeper connection, but on a general need jump, it's not too far-fetched that she would end up there...

Demandred

We don't get confirmation of where he is however we do get some possible clues.

We know that Demandred is somewhere, but where? One of the few places left to him is Murandy or with the Borderlanders. I think we can eliminate the Borderlanders simply because I don't think he would compromise himself by entering Far Madding which is where the Borderland monarchs are currently residing.

Murandy, however, leaves us with some interesting possibilities. We know very little about King Roedran personally. We know that he is attempting to unite Murandy and that he did that in large part by hiring Talmanes and the Band of the Red Hand to scare lesser lords to his cause. In return for this service the Band was well paid and we find that Talmanes also received a gold tabac pipe. It's quite possible that Demandred has assumed the guise of Roedran or is more likely pulling Roedran's strings. What if a Finder were woven into the pipe?

We have learned from Elayne how a Finder works.

Finder:

A weave of Spirit applied to an object that gives the weaver a sense of direction and distance to the object, much like the Warder bond. It will last for weeks on cloth or leather and indefinitely on metal.

This would give Demandred an easy way of finding Mat at a time of his choosing. An advantage that can't be understated with the last battle coming so soon. To make such a point of mentioning a tabac pipe, how it was acquired and combining that with our lack of knowledge about Demandred.... well I think it's certainly a possibility.

Definition of a Finder borrowed from encyclopaedia-wot.org

Now, on this, my thoughts are rather general.  Murrandy is, perhaps, my second option, but I'm currently leaning towards High Lord Galgan, General of the Ever Vicotrious flaming Army.  Demandred was in an alliance with both Messanna and Semiragh, and since Semi was in the Seanchan ranks, it isn't too far fetched to consider that Demandred may have been with them as well.  In addition to which, he seems surprised to find Tylee walk in on the hearing with Tuon, so that implies that he may have known about/sent the trolloc attack on her, and, thus, expected her to be dead.  Just a though though...

My read on the paralysis net is that she was refering specifically to Cauds one ter'angeral that is able to disturb her disguise.  That ter'angeral basically disrupts all weaves within a certain distance of her.  Hence Paralysis net. 

Nyn and Mat's ter'angeral and perhaps the one in Far Madding could all be considered paralysis nets.  In a society where 10% of the population could gate anywhere they want to go they seem like a security measure.

No way this is a term for an unraveling ter'angreal, there is great shock when one of the forsaken, probably Cyndane, discovers one of them, more than implying that they where not created in the AoL. 

Now, on this, my thoughts are rather general.  Murrandy is, perhaps, my second option, but I'm currently leaning towards High Lord Galgan, General of the Ever Vicotrious flaming Army.  Demandred was in an alliance with both Messanna and Semiragh, and since Semi was in the Seanchan ranks, it isn't too far fetched to consider that Demandred may have been with them as well.  In addition to which, he seems surprised to find Tylee walk in on the hearing with Tuon, so that implies that he may have known about/sent the trolloc attack on her, and, thus, expected her to be dead.  Just a though though...

I like this idea - although he does say "my rule is secure", and so far we've had no indication that For(Tuon)a is under Compulsion or is being manipulated (admittedly we've not had much from her, but from Morgase's POV earlier on in the series, and from Nynaeve in Tarabon, it's pretty clear when someone that strong willed is struggling against compulsion).

My read on the paralysis net is that she was refering specifically to Cauds one ter'angeral that is able to disturb her disguise.  That ter'angeral basically disrupts all weaves within a certain distance of her.  Hence Paralysis net. 

Nyn and Mat's ter'angeral and perhaps the one in Far Madding could all be considered paralysis nets.  In a society where 10% of the population could gate anywhere they want to go they seem like a security measure.

Firstly its paralis, not paralysis. And secondly it can't refer to the weave disruptor--the Forsaken had no idea such things were possible, and therefore would not have a word.

My guess is that paralis refers to a group of ter'angreal designed to work together, or designed to achieve the same purpose.

Firstly its paralis, not paralysis. And secondly it can't refer to the weave disruptor--the Forsaken had no idea such things were possible, and therefore would not have a word.

My guess is that paralis refers to a group of ter'angreal designed to work together, or designed to achieve the same purpose.

I have no problem with that arguement.  Cydanane (yeah I know I can't spell) was shocked when her weaves melted in her battle with Avila at the cleansing so maybe they are new to the forsaken.  Seems like Mat's and Nyn's work differently than described at the farm ambush anyway.  In it Semi flickers whereas the other two seem to "melt" weaves directed at the bearer.  It could be the one ter'angeral that Cauds has was called that in the AOL or it could be her whole collection.  Either way its cool to know a name for something in the AOL.

On that note what do you guys think of the blood knife ter'angeral.  Seems like the Seachan make more than just the collars.  I wonder if they have any  other secret ter'angeral that we don't know about. 

I have no problem with that arguement.  Cydanane (yeah I know I can't spell) was shocked when her weaves melted in her battle with Avila at the cleansing so maybe they are new to the forsaken.  Seems like Mat's and Nyn's work differently than described at the farm ambush anyway.  In it Semi flickers whereas the other two seem to "melt" weaves directed at the bearer.  It could be the one ter'angeral that Cauds has was called that in the AOL or it could be her whole collection.  Either way its cool to know a name for something in the AOL.

The one Cadsuane used to expose Semirhage was almost certainly a different style of ter'angreal. Cadsuane has one that does what Mat's and Nynaeve's does (the two intertwined moons) but the one she used against Semirhage had an entirely different effect (note: it was probably one of the fish ter'angreal).

• Community Administrator

Or perhaps the word Paralis is a person's Name and not something else. ;)

IT could be a 'style' of some clothing, or something of that nature...

now heres some fun... root word

Para

by the side of, beside, by, past, to one side, aside from, amiss parathyroid, parasite

beyond paranormal

subsidiary to paralegal, paramilitary

Chem.

an isomer, modification, polymer, derivative, etc. of (a specified substance) paraformaldehyde

characterized by substitutions in the 1, 4 position (opposite sides) in the benzene ring: usually italicized and hyphenated in chemical names para-aminobenzoic acid

Med.

in a secondary or accessory capacity parahormone

functionally disordered, abnormal paramnesia

like or resembling paratyphoid

Nuclear Physics

the form of diatomic molecules in which nuclei have antiparallel spins parahydrogen

(Diatmoic = 2 atoms in a molecule)

Soo.. basic 'standard' definition of Para is, Pairs, or being beside something else... (in a pair)

Course, theres also the Etomology of the word.

1. Etymology: Fr < It para, imper. of parare, to ward off < L parare, prepare

protection of or against parados

To Ward Off. Protection of or against Parados. Parados = an embankment of earth along the back of a trench, as to protect against fire from the rear.

Now heres a fun one...

Theres nothing for 'lis', but alis is part of the prefix al...

Etymology: ME -aile < OFr -alle < L -alia, neut. pl. of -alis

the act or process of ____ing rehearsal, reversal

So, you got a Pair of ter'Angreal that Protects or Wards off via reversal? Then you add in a Net. Which maynot necissarilly be in the form of like a Fishers Net, but think closer to an Accountant and Net Profit...

Perhaps her ter'angrael working in pairs, can disolve incoming weaves, reversing them instantly, only if she puts in enough 'power' to stop it?

Aka it reverse what she's able to reverse but not statically everything like Mats?

I was reading through the forums and didn't see any threads using this information;

'Lews Therin! Rand snapped in his mind. What do we do? How did you seal the Bore last time?

It didn't work, Lews Therin whispered. We used saidin, but we touched it to the Dark One. It was the only way! Something has to touch him, something to close the gap, but he was able to taint it. The seal was weak!'

This implies, to me at least, that they can't use the OP to seal the bore, as this would require contact with the DO, allowing him to taint it.

On a bit of a side note, I believe that the wound in Rands side has been symbolic, when it was just the evil from Ishy's staff the OP healing was not holding the taint in the wound (it was spreading). However after the cut from Fain's dagger the wound was contained by the joint healing of Saidar and Saidin (the two evil's fought each other weakening them so that they could be held in place by the OP healing). Hence I would like to think that Padan Fain (a character we've known since one of the very first chapters) has a key role in the ultimate defeat of the DO.

This role to me will be to distract the DO while the bore can be sealed by Rand, probably using callandor and two female channelers. (Another theory that I like is that Fain will defeat Shadar Haran, but thats side tracking) Back to the point; how do you seal the bore without allowing the DO to taint the OP? easy you do it while he's looking the other way!

Hopefully I got the basics of my idea across :D

Some people have speculated that the True Power will need to be used to "close the gap."  I'm not totally sure how I feel about this, but I think it will play a role.

Heck, maybe the "3 become 1" will have to do with the TP, and both sides of the OP needing to be used as one to seal the prison...  This is not my theory, just one that I've read. 

The only flaw that I see in this is that Rand only uses the TP because the DO lets him.  And RJ said that anybody who channels the TP anywhere near Shayol Ghul (sp?)will be burnt to a crisp...  So how could that be possible?

Some people have speculated that the True Power will need to be used to "close the gap."  I'm not totally sure how I feel about this, but I think it will play a role.

True Power used near Shayol Ghul will fry you instantly. RJ said so. Saidin+saidar used there would result in both saidin & saidar being tainted, if the DO wanted it.

I think Padan Fain will play a huge role in the end. Remember in Book 1 he claimed that he knew how to defeat the dark one.

The Eye of the World, Hardcover page. 592

Rand felt the hate in that look, and the fear. When Fain spoke again, though, his voice was unruffled. "Padan Fain is simply one of the disguises I have been forced to wear over the years. Friends of the Dark pursue me, for I have learned have to defeat the Shadow. I can show you how to defeat him, Great Lord."

"We do as well as men can," Agelmar said dryly. "The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, but we have fought the Dark One almost since the Breaking of the World without peddlers to teach us how."

"Great Lord, your might is unquestioned, but can it stand against the Dark One forever? Do you not often find yourself pressed to hold? Forgive my temerity, Great Lord; he will crush you in the end, as you are. I know; believe me, I do. But I can show you how to scour the Shadow from the land, Great Lord."

I think Padan Fain will play a huge role in the end. Remember in Book 1 he claimed that he knew how to defeat the dark one.

The Eye of the World, Hardcover page. 592

Rand felt the hate in that look, and the fear. When Fain spoke again, though, his voice was unruffled. "Padan Fain is simply one of the disguises I have been forced to wear over the years. Friends of the Dark pursue me, for I have learned have to defeat the Shadow. I can show you how to defeat him, Great Lord."

"We do as well as men can," Agelmar said dryly. "The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, but we have fought the Dark One almost since the Breaking of the World without peddlers to teach us how."

"Great Lord, your might is unquestioned, but can it stand against the Dark One forever? Do you not often find yourself pressed to hold? Forgive my temerity, Great Lord; he will crush you in the end, as you are. I know; believe me, I do. But I can show you how to scour the Shadow from the land, Great Lord."

Wow!  Great quote.  Forgot about that.

I have a question and this is the only thread I could find that would likely be where it should go:

When or where was it revealed about Morgase being in Perrins' camp?  Was the first mention of her when he informed Rand about her, or did I somehow gloss over it in my read or was it in book 11?  I was really looking forward to when this was going to be revealed.  Was it revealed when Faile et al where trapped in the wrecked building?  I was rereading 11 when the Gathering Storm arrived.  So maybe I should go back to that and continue my reread. ;D

I apologize if this is a dumb question, please forgive me, I am somewhat Brain damged (two strokes).

Ya it could've been him trying to weasel his way in with Agelmar or not who knows. I thought it was kind of weird how he called them "Friends of the Dark" when normally they say darkfriends...theres some people who say friends of the dark instead of darkfriends is that the forsaken or the seanchan? i cant remember

Archived