DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Questions/Theories Answered or New Tidbits Added (Full Book Spoilers)

Luckers

I just remember there being a big deal made over Narishma's strength when he first showed up, and wasn't there a point where Merise was telling Cadsuane (IIRC) that his strength was still growing unpredictably or some such?

Still Logain > Narishma makes sense to me, though it seems that straight up one on one power battles are a thing of the past - channelers seem to move in packs or go into fights with an ace (or a Choedan Kal access key) up their sleaves.

So far yes that is what we have seen, but i wouldn't be surprised to see Logain v Taim, one on one to the death duel.

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also, during my reread I noticed Rand said he went into Tel'aran'rhiod to change and invert the weaves surrounding Callandor once he learned inversion from Asmodean.  That may have something to do with why he gave Narishma the wrong info as I think any effect Rand could have on the real world from Tel'aran'rhiod would be dubious if not nonexistent.

My guess is that Rand gave Narishma all the information on how to remove the sword but did not convey to him how difficult it is to just hold on to it without losing oneself, because it was not really an issue of channeling but of keeping control.

I'm not sure where Callandor is, though I assumed it's somewhere safe after Narishma, Merise and Elza (who was running the show) used it to blow up a Forsaken. However with Elza being black and possibly knowing where it was put, I'm not so sure.

EDIT - I didn't think it was with the collar and the access key in Cadsuane's room.

In chapter 14 Cadsuane is thinking about Calandor and how she kept it separately from the collar and CK ter'angreal. She is trying to figure out the missing bit about the 3 become 1 prophecy. I did not finish the book but I am sure she still has the sword hidden with her somewhere.

I don't know who has Callandor but when Cadsuane goes to show Sorlina something she looks over the contents of the box and Callandor was there with the Male A'dam and the Choedan Kal access key. (Page # eludes me but in TGS) So either Rand has it and didn't tell us or Shador Herin has it... So if Shador Herin took it and left the access key?!?!?! Callandor is WAY more important than we imagined.

Side note what do you think about the Seals of the DO's Prison? LTT tells Rand to "break them, break them now." If breaking the seals would exponentually help the escape of the DO, then why aren't the Forsaken out trying to break them??? Any theories??? ???

I assume the Dark One/Forsaken have their own plans to bring to fruition before the Dark One is released and the Last Battle begins (i.e. corrupt the Dragon). Now that that plan seems to be thwarted, they may ramp up their efforts to start the fight.

I always interpreted Fel's note as saying that the seals would have to be broken (rubble cleared away) before the Dark One could be sealed away. And now Min agrees, which means its probably wrong (or I want it to be wrong because I like being tricked by RJ).

However, that was part of my theory in which the taint was essentially held in the seals so Rand would have to break them to cleanse Saidin, hence LTT wanting them broken (which on reflection may have been giving the LTT 'persona' a bit too much credibility). Whoops!

Callandor was made with an unintentional flaw. (RJ said so.) Channeling the True Power near the Bore would fry you instantly.

"The three" that Cadsuane is talking about has probably not anything to do with Callandor or the True Power.

I'm surprised that we didn't get any useful information on Forsaken strength. Or anyone's strength, really. I thought that would come up when they questioned Semirhage.

Has anybody considered the possibility that Taim is still a darkfriend despite the certainty that he is not Demandred?

The main argument that Taim could not be even a simple darkfriend, as opposed to chosen, was that he handed the seal to Rand.

With the new information regarding the need for Rand to destroy the seals to clear the rubble for a new foundation of a prison, or to kill the DO, would the DO not care whether they are in Rand's possession either way? Does the DO consider the possibility that it is not in his interest for the old seal to be swept aside utterly?

I also find more credit being lent to the theory of Taim as a darkfriend in that he never went crazed after 15 years of OP use.

Could Taim simply be a modern incarnation of all the things that drove Sammael and Demandred to hate Lews Therin 3000 years ago?

I assume the Dark One/Forsaken have their own plans to bring to fruition before the Dark One is released and the Last Battle begins (i.e. corrupt the Dragon). Now that that plan seems to be thwarted, they may ramp up their efforts to start the fight.

I always interpreted Fel's note as saying that the seals would have to be broken (rubble cleared away) before the Dark One could be sealed away. And now Min agrees, which means its probably wrong (or I want it to be wrong because I like being tricked by RJ).

However, that was part of my theory in which the taint was essentially held in the seals so Rand would have to break them to cleanse Saidin, hence LTT wanting them broken (which on reflection may have been giving the LTT 'persona' a bit too much credibility). Whoops!

But What about Shador Herin? Why isn't he looking for the seals? It's oviouslly something that the DO and the Forsaken have been seeing as the reason they were locked up for 3000 years. If the Forsaken are just trying to one up each other then why isn't Mordin( who is Na'bis) and shaddor herin (DO unwavering Servant) not Destroying the Seals? There has to be more to the seals than we understand!!!!

Logically they aren't holding the DO back at all or his servants would be trying to find them. this makes me think that they should smash them and see what happens. Who knows maybe breaking the seals at one time would destroy the TP??? Maybe the saidin counters the TP and cancels it out?

Cads has given Callandor to 'Aes Sedai who have retired from the world' to study, 'she felt that the sword still held secrets that could be teased out.' p.232 tor.

To comment on the thread topic, my biggest thing was Verin. A few weeks, maybe even a month ago, I had posted on a different board discussing how I felt she was Black, unbound of the traditional 3 oaths, and yet still had an important role to play; obviously this did happen. I had also commented on Cads, but we will have to see whether that plays out.

I was wrong in my estimation of Elaida's demise, as I predicted it would not be anywhere near as satisfying as it was, thinking that she would be deposed but still remain as Eggy's biggest opposition in the Hall, as she saw in her test for Accepted.

My thoughts on the black tower cleansing-to-come were reinforced by the few comments here and there about how none of the red sisters, nor the SAS embassy (Faolin, Theodrin, Myrelle) returned, or sent any type of correspondence.

Nothing came up to further Guybon-andred, but nothing dispelled it either.

Still think that infamously absent 2nd most powerful male sa'angreal will show up, ta'veren-ness pulling it toward one of the 3 amigos somehow. Also, when Moraine returns, I still believe she or Elayne will start digging through the wagonloads of power objects from Rhudeian and find something of great importance.

Anybody else think Mat's question about a spring for the crossbows will eventually lead to the creation of firearms? I always thought they were heading this way, from when the sling-wielding troops of the Band tossed primitive grenades in KOD. You know, the spring in a magazine, Aludra making the cartridges, etc?

Anyways thats all I can think of for now. I like this thread by the way, luckers, as it allows for a bit more freedom in posting as opposed to the more rigid topics which were previously on the board. I understand the necessity of it for now, of course, but it can be a bit frustrating when our discussions are forced to be a little more specific than we are used to.

Thats all for me!

• Community Administrator

How would a channeller fair against a gun?

Depends if they see it coming or not. They 'can' make shields of air around them afterall...

A well placed arrow or bullet could take them out... But prolly only if they are

A) not actually 'grasping' the source.

B) If they are, weak enough or slow enough to react.

Rodel Ituralde met Thom Merrilin when the latter was court bard in Caemlyn.

The way to reverse compulsion is by weaving anti-compulsion. :P

That reminded me, since Nyn did an hour of weaving and then reversing the weaves of Grendals strong compulsion, does she now know how to use it on someone else?  I would think she would have had to learn it by undoing the weaves.  What a scary skill, however maybe she could later use the information to heal brain injuries or something. 

I was wrong in my estimation of Elaida's demise, as I predicted it would not be anywhere near as satisfying as it was, thinking that she would be deposed but still remain as Eggy's biggest opposition in the Hall, as she saw in her test for Accepted.

I thought it was satisfying as well. Serves her right for being so insufferable. Though, from the way the series (visions, prophecies, etc.) were set up, I didn't expect it to happen quite like that.

I doubt that it is the last we will see of her, though (sigh), especially if we get Fortuona's POV in ToM. I have faith that she will somehow manage to be as obnoxious as ever.

Still think that infamously absent 2nd most powerful male sa'angreal will show up, ta'veren-ness pulling it toward one of the 3 amigos somehow.

Yes, I was wondering where that was. I thought at first maybe that was the Mistbornesque item that Brandon hinted at that is hidden in books 4-6, but it doesn't seem like it would be inconsequential enough. Unless it was something REALLY glossed over, i.e. not anywhere near the discussion of angreal in any form. In Mistborn it was really, really obvious, but only once you knew the answer. It was something you would NEVER think was so important the first read through (at least, I didn't think it was going to be so huge).

For now, it is a mystery. Oh well.

I believe that some people think the missing sa'angreal is the statue of the bearded man that was in the Ebou Dar stash. It makes sense, but I don't think that was discovered until what? Book 7? [Yes, that is only to rule it out as the potential "small detail" and not the sa'angreal, unless they are one in the same] Personally I'd like to see something a little more suited toward the Dragon, something that could be wielded in battle, than another statue.

Anybody else think Mat's question about a spring for the crossbows will eventually lead to the creation of firearms? I always thought they were heading this way, from when the sling-wielding troops of the Band tossed primitive grenades in KOD. You know, the spring in a magazine, Aludra making the cartridges, etc?

Eventually, what with the invention of the cannons, yeah. In our own development the first "firearms" didn't come too long after the first cannons. Will we see firearms in the last two books? I doubt it, and I really, really hope not. Somehow that would just feel wrong. Cannons, okay, but people running around with guns, out of the blue, with only a few months to create them before the Last Battle? Doesn't seem quite right. I think they will get those crossbows, though.

That reminded me, since Nyn did an hour of weaving and then reversing the weaves of Grendals strong compulsion, does she now know how to use it on someone else?

Nynaeve, like Egwene and Elayne, learnt compulsion from Moghedian 'in order to be able to counter it'.

How would a channeller fair against a gun?

Depends if they see it coming or not. They 'can' make shields of air around them afterall...

A well placed arrow or bullet could take them out... But prolly only if they are

A) not actually 'grasping' the source.

B) If they are, weak enough or slow enough to react.

I wonder if they can reach for the source and weave a shield of air faster than the bullet flies? Because rand says that he can embrace the source and weave air in less than a heartbeat

That is ... very doubtful.  It still takes time.  An /arrow/ going at full speed is faster than nearly anyone can react, let alone a bullet.  IMO, they'd have to have the shield in place before the bullet was fired.

Of course, this is all conjecture as there's no bullets, but hey.

after 12 books here's how i see it ending.

rand will seal up the bore. he will then 'retire' with his 3 wives to spend the rest of his days in peace.

the world would be back to the age of legends. the aes sedai will be reunited as men and women. logain and egwene would lead the aes sedai.

Warning: Potential spoilers for the entire Mistborn Series, if you do not want to know, do not read ahead!

I was one of the Chicago Storm Leaders, and was able to ask some questions of Brandon before the signing itself, most everything was repeated at the signing at one point or another, except for one detail; Brandon mentioned a tidbit about Towers of Midnight.

There is a very small detail in books 4-6, not sure which one that will end up playing a huge role in Towers of Midnight (might end up being in amol, but pretty sure he said ToM). This is on a scale of Vin's earring in Mistborn, with how that was such a minor detail touched on in book one, and ended up being the key detail that saved the day in the end. That kind of small detail.

So, go nuts with your speculation folks.

I'm surprised people arent discussing more abt this..This is probably the only confirmed answer BS has given till now.Question: Small detail 4-6 meaning the detail is there in each of the books 4,5,6 or in one of the three?

I was just thinking..Rand has only revealed 2 of the questions that he asked the Aelfinn(if my memory isnt failing me..if Rand has revealed all the 3 questions someone plz post the 3rd one )...What if the 3rd answer he gets is the real clue tht will play a huge role in the next books??I mean we havent really discussed about it much and we dont really have any clue as to what question he asked..Thoughts???

• Community Administrator
Yes, I was wondering where that was. I thought at first maybe that was the Mistbornesque item that Brandon hinted at that is hidden in books 4-6, but it doesn't seem like it would be inconsequential enough. Unless it was something REALLY glossed over, i.e. not anywhere near the discussion of angreal in any form. In Mistborn it was really, really obvious, but only once you knew the answer. It was something you would NEVER think was so important the first read through (at least, I didn't think it was going to be so huge).

I was talking to barms about this the other day, he said that it was REVEALED in books 4-6, which puts alot of things out, like callandor.

I think its his little fatman angral.

I believe the little fat man looks something like this

http://picasaweb.google.com/dm.community/CharlestonTGSSigning#5397833136320172994

Which would be Budha, which would in and of its self not be the answer (just like mistborn, it wasn't the earing that was the answer, its what the earing does. It pierces the skin, like those keepers do. Thus proving to whats her face that the 'evil overlord' was 'both' mistborn and 'keeper', and thats how she was able to 'defeat' him.) So, the little fat man may not be the actual 'item' that is going to save everything, it could be what it represents. And that is the way of the Leaf. ;)

That is ... very doubtful.  It still takes time.  An /arrow/ going at full speed is faster than nearly anyone can react, let alone a bullet.  IMO, they'd have to have the shield in place before the bullet was fired.

Of course, this is all conjecture as there's no bullets, but hey.

Well, we know that the 'void' gives them 'super senses'. What really is a factor is if they 'see' the person or not. If you see someone, you can put up a shield before they can fire an arrow/bullet.

Given there senses and how paranoid they are, they could do it.

If they don't see them? They 'might' be able to see the bullet/hear it, and deflect it 'just in time. But probably only if they are already 'in' the void, or are already 'channeling'. Rand wouldn't be able to do it with his nausia unless he is already channeling..

I like the idea of Rand's 3rd question, as we have not heard anything about it up to this point. I'd thought about that after KoD came out, but not so much since. Good call.

I have no real knowledge of the physics of it, but I thought that up to a certain distance, depending on the charge in the cartridge, hearing the gunshot and the impact of the bullet are milliseconds apart, making it very unlikely that a channeler could hear the shot and spin a shield in time to stop the bullet from hitting them. Possible, as again I don't know the exact details, besides bullets flying at like 2-3k feet per second. I do not know what the speed of sound translates to in feet per second, so my guess is all conjecture at this point. Anyone who is more knowledgeable please chime in and correct me if I am wrong.

Mr Micawber and I had a discussion a week or so ago, and we had both thought that Taim ended up with the angreal after Dumai's Wells. I think it will come back to haunt Rand, probably when he turns his attention to the black tower prior to the last battle (if he does). This could be when Logain gains his glory.

As for the angreal being a small detail, I'm not sure if that really fits. I have not read Mistborn, but the fat man gets mentioned repeatedly. I thought something more along the lines of one of the Rhudiean items, which a briefly described, when they are mentioned at all, but these aren't really small details either. When I read that post, I thought more along the lines of things which received an offhand mention, and were seemingly inconsequential at the time.

I started tEotW last night, as when every new book comes out I do a complete series reread both before and after, so I will take special care during those 3 books. I am trying to get up to Boston tonight to attend the signing and try to talk to Brandon, but as of now (1:30 pm) it isn't looking too good.

I'm wondering if anyone else noticed on page 472 that Cadsuane lies through her teeth (albeit sarcastically) in response to her innkeeper/info contact's mention of Aiel in the city. 

Her response: "I hadn't noticed."

I'm assuming that it's just a little sloppy writing, but it could mean something about her oaths.  If she was bound by the first oath she'd have choked on that sentence before she could say it.  She wasn't mentioned on the BA list and Verin was happy that she could "finally be sure of Cadsuane" in Far Madding.  I almost wish she'd used the vial anyway after reading the last few books...

Archived