DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Guitarists for the Band's Band - It's A Knockout (Winner: Carlos Santana)

Corki

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have a clear winner in the first tie, but it is currently a tie in the second semi-final between Jimi Hendrix and Carlos Santana. I will leave it running until the morning to see if we get a winner - otherwise I will cast the winning and deciding vote.

I seriously hate DM at the moment, and its habit of crashing on me! Anyway, time to wrap the semi-finals up so we can move onto the Final and determine who takes the spot as the Band's Dream Band guitarist.

In the first semi-final, it was one way traffic as Eric Clapton cruised to a 10-0 victory over Chuck Berry.

The second semi-final was a much tighter affair, with it being tied at 5-5 until I cast the deciding vote, which saw Carlos Santana triumph over Jimi Hendrix.

The Grand Final

Eric Clapton

Simply one of the greatest guitar players ever! Inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame 3 times, he revolutionized guitar playing in the 1960s by making it the focal point of any band through a few simple moves - turning up the amp and moving the microphone. Blues influences his rock guitar playing, and he was ranked number 4 in Rolling Stone's list of the "100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time". Classics that show off Clapton's playing include Layla and Steppin Out.

vs.

Carlos Santana

Santana's piercing pure tone is amongst the most recognizable sounds in popular music. He brought Latin rhythms and jazz improvisation to rock, and formed his own band in 1968. Various influences have styled his innovative approach. He is known as a fiery, impassioned soloist, and articulates fluid passages that culminate in lengthy sustained notes. He won a record equalling 8 Grammy Awards in 2000, and remains a compelling musician.

Black Magic Woman

Voting ends Friday 6th November 2009 at 11pm (GMT)

3rd/4th Play-off

Chuck Berry

An important star of the early development of rock and roll, with some impressive guitar skills. He was voted as the 6th best guitar player in Rolling Stone's Top 100 Guitarists, and his playing definitely deserves such a high rank.

vs.

Jimi Hendrix

One of the most amazing guitar players ever...and his live recordings are so much better than his studio work. According to Pete Townshend, "He had a kind of alchemist's ability; when he was on the stage, he changed".

Purple Haze

Voting ends Friday 6th November 2009 at 11pm (GMT)

Archived