DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Guitarists for the Band's Band - It's A Knockout (Winner: Carlos Santana)

Corki

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Round 1, Tie 4

Les Paul

Les Paul was a guitar inventor as well as a player. He was tinkering with electronics from an early age, and built the first solid-body electric guitar prototype. In 1952, Gibson began selling the Les Paul model, now a rock & roll standard. He also made a string of futuristic pop hits with wife Mary Ford in the early Fifties.

How High The Moon

vs.

Joe Satriani

Known for years as a prodigy, he is a bit eccentric, but never-the-less a guitar genius. With heavy influences of blues-rock from many other great guitarists, Satriani worked with a range of guitarists from many musical genres.

Summer Song

Voting ends Friday 23rd October 2009 at 11pm (GMT)

I apologise for the delay in announcing the results, but it was my cricket club awards night last night, and I kept up my record of winning an award every 2 years! lol! Plus I got in at a stupidly late time and all I wanted to do was sleep. As a result, you will get a double whammy today with 2 ties, vote ending on Sunday evening.

And from the 4th tie, Les Paul wins by 5 votes to 3 and advances to Round 2.

Time for the double whammy!

Round 1, Tie 5

Dave Murray

Dave Murray is part of the original heavy metal band know as Iron Maiden. He is quite possibly one of the most influential metal guitarist of all time, laying down the foundation for all forms of metal to follow from progressive to death metal. Even Metallica and Megadeath came after Iron Maiden. All must bow down to Dave Murray!

vs.

Jeff Beck

One of the three great guitarists of the Yardbirds, Beck led the group's swing into R&B-charged psychedelia with his speed and deft manipulation of feedback and sustain. Later on, Beck would form his own group, a heavier variation on the Yardbirds that would prove influential for many later guitarists and groups. But it was in the 1970s that Beck reached his commercial height with an idiosyncratic style of jazz fusion that he continues to play today. 

Voting ends Sunday 25th October 2009 at 11pm (GMT)

Round 1, Tie 6

Carlos Santana

Santana's piercing pure tone is amongst the most recognizable sounds in popular music. He brought Latin rhythms and jazz improvisation to rock, and formed his own band in 1968. Various influences have styled his innovative approach. He is known as a fiery, impassioned soloist, and articulates fluid passages that culminate in lengthy sustained notes. He won a record equalling 8 Grammy Awards in 2000, and remains a compelling musician.

Black Magic Woman

vs.

Eddie Van Halen

Come on.....really? Okay, considering the fact that Eddie was originally going to be the drummer and Alex was going to be the guitarist, I'd say they made the right choice. Definitey a guitar ICON!!

Voting ends Sunday 25th October 2009 at 11pm (GMT)

Archived