DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Guitarists for the Band's Band - It's A Knockout (Winner: Carlos Santana)

Corki

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Round 1, Tie 7

Mikael Akerfeldt

Revolutionized harmonization in the metal genre. was one of the first people in death metal to make the guitar more about harmonies and technique than about speed and heaviness.

Harvest

vs.

Dave Davies

The guitar playing of Dave Davies was the dynamo behind The Kinks. Their early hits contained Davies playing chords that are a rite of passage for any aspiring guitarist. His style was brash, aggressive and entirely unforgettable style.

Voting ends Monday 26th October 2009 at 11pm (GMT)

I can't even believe this! Are you people even listening to the songs? Davies is an amateur! just listen to the beginning of Harvest, that part alone is better than anything Davies could even hope to play. it's more complex, better thought out, and isn't the easiest riff in the world to play. And that's not even an exaggeration, it was the first riff i learned and it took me literally 2 minuets to master, and it's not even that good.   

Well, it seems we have our first bit of controversy with the last vote! For me, I prefer the simplicity of the guitar playing of Davies...hence my vote for Davies.

Anyway, it is time to move on. Dave Davies wins through to the 2nd Round with a 3-1 win.

Time now for the final tie of the 1st Round.

Round 1, Tie 8

Jimmy Page

Part of Led Zeppelin, Jimmy Page was at the forefront of guitar playing in the 1970s. From their first to last album, Page hasn't lost his technical authority. A wide variety of groups influenced Page before forming Led Zeppelin, including being a first-call studio musician, playing on Kinks and Everly Brothers dates and honing his production skills on singles for John Mayall and future Velvet Underground vocalist Nico.

Stairway to Heaven

vs.

Angus Young

He is simply the most amazing guitar player ever. He makes listeners grow goosebumbs with his power rifts. He is AWESOME.

Awesome Solo

Voting ends Tuesday 27th October 2009 at 11pm (GMT)

Round 2, Tie 1

Dave Davies

The guitar playing of Dave Davies was the dynamo behind The Kinks. Their early hits contained Davies playing chords that are a rite of passage for any aspiring guitarist. His style was brash, aggressive and entirely unforgettable style.

vs.

Eric Clapton

Simply one of the greatest guitar players ever! Inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame 3 times, he revolutionized guitar playing in the 1960s by making it the focal point of any band through a few simple moves - turning up the amp and moving the microphone. Blues influences his rock guitar playing, and he was ranked number 4 in Rolling Stone's list of the "100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time". Classics that show off Clapton's playing include Layla and Steppin Out.

Voting ends Wednesday 28th October 2009 at 11pm (GMT)

Archived