DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Question about Mat's encounter with the Elfinn

Specifically about the end of the meeting. He is hanged by them and then  Rand finds him hanging in the tree. My question is How did he end up hanging in the tree? I was under the impression that the Finn could not enter our world. Was it pure luck or coincidence that he ended up hanging in the tree after being thrown through the doorway? Did the Finn carry him through the doorway and place him in the tree?

This is probably my 30th time re reading the books and I am always finding new things to question.

An interesting question for sure.  Probably no definitive answer, but we can speculate.  Does it ever actually say the Finns can't enter our world?  It's not a bad assumption considering that we never see them do it.  But maybe they just don't like doing it and only do it when they have to/want something really bad.

My theory would be that the treaty forbids them from entering our world, but they are also allowed to receive a price for the gifts that they give.  They mention that Mat is foolish for not setting a price for his gifts.  They decide that their price is that they will be allowed to hang him (or something similar, who knows how they would word it).  They have to let him leave their world since this is one of the gifts that he has asked for.  Thus, this creates a loophole where they are allowed to come to our world as part of their price for the gift that they gave.  Probably a fair bit of lawyering in this process, but it seems plausible to me that they see this as justified.

I dont recall that is is explicitly stated they cant enter our world, but it seems that if they could, they would. I mean, why waif for a small line of cocaine to randomly fall trough your doorway, when you could go through the door yourself and roll around in a mountain of the stuff.

This is why I think the treaty is at play.  I don't think the exact terms of the treaty are made clear, but I suspect that part of it makes it so the Finns can't visit whenever they want.  But maybe the treaty allows visits under certain conditions.  

Or possibly that Rhuidean, with its wards against entry, is viewed as a kind of extension of their world.  I'd say that they the reason they don't pass through the doorways is because they dislike it, not because they are in some way forbidden.