DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Towers of Midnight Speculation Thread (Spoilers for tGS)

JenniferL

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is there any information about entrances/exits to the land of the Finns in Seanchen?  Is it possible that the Towers of Midnight could be that?

This has come up either in this thread or somewhere else but the Towers of Midnight refer to a place where the Seanchan train the damane or "break" them rather. It was the place where the woman who first made the a'dam was leashed by it and she screamed. i know there is something possibly in the guide to back me up.

No, there's not.. in the guide, it just says that its a fortress in Seanchan.

Is there any information about entrances/exits to the land of the Finns in Seanchen?  Is it possible that the Towers of Midnight could be that?

This has come up either in this thread or somewhere else but the Towers of Midnight refer to a place where the Seanchan train the damane or "break" them rather. It was the place where the woman who first made the a'dam was leashed by it and she screamed. i know there is something possibly in the guide to back me up.

Declan is right anyway. The Towers of Midnight are located in Imfaral. When the creator of the a'dam was collared, her screams were said to "Shake the towers of midnight" This is mentioned in the Guide and in the main series. I also recall reading somewhere else that Damane are taken there to be trained - although I cannot find the source for that particular belief.

Declan is right anyway. The Towers of Midnight are located in Imfaral. When the creator of the a'dam was collared, her screams were said to "Shake the towers of midnight" This is mentioned in the Guide and in the main series. I also recall reading somewhere else that Damane are taken there to be trained - although I cannot find the source for that particular belief.

Um, that sounds very much like a saying that people use all the time, saying something is so loud that you can hear it from someplace far away. It's just implying that she was perpetually horrified by being collared by her own invention, and has nothing to do with her being in the Towers of Midnight.

i want to see mistress anan get her power restored!!

You know The Empress, may she shut the hell up, took quite a liking to mistress Anan. Given Tuon's hatred of channelers, I wonder if being confronted with a healed Anan would change her mind.

How do the seachan deal with burned out domane anyway? Do they suddenly become human again and get to go home?

You know The Empress, may she shut the hell up, took quite a liking to mistress Anan. Given Tuon's hatred of channelers, I wonder if being confronted with a healed Anan would change her mind.

How do the seachan deal with burned out domane anyway? Do they suddenly become human again and get to go home?

That's a really great question... hmmm I bet not. Maybe they just kill them at that point.

I read the series for the first time starting a year ago into this year. And I am rereading it all now, and just today ran across that reference in The Great Hunt, in Chapter 40 Damane on page 483, from Renna's answer to Egwene's question: "What diseased mind ever thought of it (a'dam)?:

Egwene knew incredulity must be painting her face, because Renna laughed openly. "When Luthair Paendrag Mondwin, son of the Hawkwing, first faced the Armies of the Night, he found many among them who called themselves Aes Sedai. They contended for power among themselves and used the One Power on the field of battle. One such, a woman named Deain, who thought she could do better serving the Emperor--he was not Emperor then, of course--since he had no Aes Sedai in his armies, came to him with a device she had made, the first a'dam, fastened to the neck of one of her sisters. Though that woman did not want to serve Luthair, the a'dam required her to serve. Deain made more a'dam, the first sul'dam were found, and women captured who called themselves Aes Sedai discovered that they were in fact only marath'damane, Those Who Must Be Leashed. It is said that when she herself was leashed, Deain's screams shook the Towers of Midnight, but of course she, too, was a marath'damane, and marath'damane cannot be allowed to run free. Perhaps you will be one of those who has the ability to make a'dam. If so, you will be pampered, you may rest assured."

Therefore, it seems that we may expect some events to take place relating to the Towers of Midnight, whether it entails the breaking of Elaida, or an attack by the Aes Sedai on the Towers, I guess we will have to RAFO.

Is there any information about entrances/exits to the land of the Finns in Seanchen? Is it possible that the Towers of Midnight could be that?
We know what the Towers of Midnight are, a fortress in Seanchan (not Seandar though). It is unknown if there is any connection to the Finns in Seanchan, although bear in mind it is a superstition over there.

Yes.  Very good, about the superstition thing.  I find it odd, though, that the only entrances are in this continent.  Wonder why?

That's a really great question... hmmm I bet not. Maybe they just kill them at that point.

I think similar to a normal circle an a'dam will prevent one from being burned out.

Therefore, it seems that we may expect some events to take place relating to the Towers of Midnight, whether it entails the breaking of Elaida, or an attack by the Aes Sedai on the Towers, I guess we will have to RAFO.

RJ said that we would not see Seanchan again in the books. Elaida will be broken on this side of the ocean. ;D

RJ said that we would not see Seanchan again in the books. Elaida will be broken on this side of the ocean. ;D

He later clarified that we wouldn't have an in-depth jump to Seanchan or Shara.  It's quite possible there'll be a chapter-or-two jump there, ala the Far Snows.

Okay, now I see Elaida in a Far Snows with a sul'dam.  I need to wash out my brain.  Gyah.

I'm still convinced that Lanfear's belt was an angreal that increased her strength.

I don't think it is possible to use 2 angreals at the same time and she was using the bracelet on the docks. So I think its impossible for her to have a belt angreal.

It is possible.  When Rand and Asmodean were fighting for the CK key at the end of TSR, Rand won because he used the fat man angreal on top of the  "half" of the CK that he was fighting over Asmodean with.  This gave Rand the upper-hand (barely) and allowed him to defeat Asmodean.

Oh yeah I forgot about that.

He was using a ter angreal and an angreal, not two angreal's.

He was using a ter angreal and an angreal, not two angreal's.

Nothing I've seen says that the CK access key's work differently than an ordinary sa'angreal.  So since he could pull thru that and the fat man angreal at the same time it seems likely to me you can pull thru more than one angreal at a time. 

That being said I really don't but the whole Lanfear's original power was partly from an angreal.  I don't see that being implied anywhere other than as a means to say why she is only minimally decreased in the OP. My money's on stilling and being healed with the TP and/or being burned out and being healed by a man.

Is there any information about entrances/exits to the land of the Finns in Seanchen? Is it possible that the Towers of Midnight could be that?
We know what the Towers of Midnight are, a fortress in Seanchan (not Seandar though). It is unknown if there is any connection to the Finns in Seanchan, although bear in mind it is a superstition over there.
Yes. Very good, about the superstition thing. I find it odd, though, that the only entrances are in this continent. Wonder why?
Well, it could be they have some that are just forgotten - the ToG isn't known, and one doorway has been hidden in Rhuidean since the Breaking, leaving just the Tear doorway - which was unused during all the time they had it. Or it could just be that entrances were always very rare - the Tower and a couple of doorways - and that they all ended up on the same continent through sheer coincidence.

You know the towers of midnight might also be a myth that they named their own towers after.

So about this novella thing that was mentionned in the Q&A. Has it been determined definitely that Pevara will definitely be among the characters that might be included in such a novella that won't fit in the book? Is it speculation that she might be in there or did BS say himself that it would be one person who'd most likely go there?

Hallo everybody

Long time reader but just signed up. Please be kind to me ;)

Just a couple of issues:

1) Why do you all think that the woman that created the a-dam were actually on Seanchan soil. I was under the impression that Hawkwing himself never actually went there, but sent his fleet (with relatives). Of course this might be a misinterpretation on my part, and I would be glad if any of you actually remember where it states the opposite. I do agree with those of you though that some chapters in ToM will show us these towers and bring us to Seanchan for a bit.

2) Not really for this thread; but I've been shocked that so few had Verin pegged  as BA. I've thought that since she went after Rand & co to Falme and blatantly lied that Moraine had sent her (Moraine later said that she hadn't sent anybody). One of them had to lie, and my thought was allways Verin. I liked her though and was very pleased to see that she was a "spy" for the forces of light and redeemed herself. I'm  really looking forward to see what she set in motion before she died.

You have to pardon my english (as I see many get punned for it on this board); please remember that not all of us are from english speaking countries  ;)

1) Why do you all think that the woman that created the a-dam were actually on Seanchan soil. I was under the impression that Hawkwing himself never actually went there, but sent his fleet (with relatives). Of course this might be a misinterpretation on my part, and I would be glad if any of you actually remember where it states the opposite. I do agree with those of you though that some chapters in ToM will show us these towers and bring us to Seanchan for a bit.

Luthair Hawkwing went over to Hawkwing and one of the Aes Sedai there created the a'dam to please him and his extreme distrust of Aes Sedai.. Luthair then ordered all Aes Sedai to be collared, and to the creator's extreme displeasure, she was collared as well.

Luthair Hawkwing went over to Hawkwing and one of the Aes Sedai there created the a'dam to please him and his extreme distrust of Aes Sedai.. Luthair then ordered all Aes Sedai to be collared, and to the creator's extreme displeasure, she was collared as well.

I know he ordered them made, and had the Aes Sedai collared, but I thought this found place in Randland- and that it was his son that went over the ocean and conquered Seanchan. I stand corrected though; if he actually went there and brought his newly made damane and the Aes Sedai creator with him.

I know he ordered them made, and had the Aes Sedai collared, but I thought this found place in Randland- and that it was his son that went over the ocean and conquered Seanchan. I stand corrected though; if he actually went there and brought his newly made damane and the Aes Sedai creator with him.

Luthair was the son that was sent to Seanchan by Artur.  You've got it right, just a little confused on the names I think.

Luthair was sent to conquer Seanchan.  When he got there he found the land in relative chaos with Aes Sedai contending with each other for control.

Since the Breaking those AS had schemed and plotted and fought among themselves.  Alliances were temporary, and assassination was frequent.  Deain, one of those AS native to Seanchan, sought to achieve advantage by allying with Luthair, offering the a'dam which she'd invented as a token to get him to trust her.  By then he'd decided that no AS could be trusted, so he took the a'dam, and then at a later time had Deain leashed with it just as he had any other AS that were captured leashed.

Luthair was sent to conquer Seanchan.  When he got there he found the land in relative chaos with Aes Sedai contending with each other for control.

Since the Breaking those AS had schemed and plotted and fought among themselves.  Alliances were temporary, and assassination was frequent.  Deain, one of those AS native to Seanchan, sought to achieve advantage by allying with Luthair, offering the a'dam which she'd invented as a token to get him to trust her.  By then he'd decided that no AS could be trusted, so he took the a'dam, and then at a later time had Deain leashed with it just as he had any other AS that were captured leashed.

It is said that her screams "Shook the Towers of Midnight". 

~ quoted from the BWB.

That being said I really don't but the whole Lanfear's original power was partly from an angreal.  I don't see that being implied anywhere other than as a means to say why she is only minimally decreased in the OP. My money's on stilling and being healed with the TP and/or being burned out and being healed by a man.

I was under the impression that when you are healed by the opposite sex, you lose basically half your power.  IMO Siuan was twice as strong as she is now after the healing.  Cyndane being half as strong as she was, but still stronger than Graendal?.... that seems a little far fetched.

Maybe the TP healing.... or something else entirely.  That is just my opinion tho.  I also don't buy into the fact that she was using an angreal or ter'angreal her entire life to make herself seem stronger.... that seems far fetched too.

Archived