DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Towers of Midnight Speculation Thread (Spoilers for tGS)

JenniferL

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i think we will never find out why exactly Lanfear's power has been reduced in her new form. just one of those questions that will go unanswered. i don't think it was the healing deal by a man tho.

We find out who Ilyena's come back as.

Since LTT/Rand DID mention that she might be back at the end of 'Veins of Gold'.

Might be fun.

Also, WHO KILLED ASMODEAN???

where did it mention Illyena's reborn name of this age?

and i hate how BS and a bunch of people led me to believe we would find out who killed Asmodean in this book, but unless i dont remember there were no obvious giveaways.

i know some people in a thread somewhere favored Graendel heavily. not sure on the exact reasons....

tell me when you find out.

i think we will never find out why exactly Lanfear's power has been reduced in her new form. just one of those questions that will go unanswered. i don't think it was the healing deal by a man tho.

We find out who Ilyena's come back as.

Since LTT/Rand DID mention that she might be back at the end of 'Veins of Gold'.

Might be fun.

Also, WHO KILLED ASMODEAN???

where did it mention Illyena's reborn name of this age?

and i hate how BS and a bunch of people led me to believe we would find out who killed Asmodean in this book, but unless i dont remember there were no obvious giveaways.

i know some people in a thread somewhere favored Graendel heavily. not sure on the exact reasons....

tell me when you find out.

That's your fault for believing that, not Brandon's. There was no evidence that we were going to find that out in tGS.

That's your fault for believing that, not Brandon's. There was no evidence that we were going to find that out in tGS.

I think it was confirmed that we would find out before the end of the series, but I don't think BS ever said it would be in this book specifically. Maybe in the next one.

I don't know how many of my ideas are posted in the previous 60 pages, but I'm excited enough after finishing TGS to post them anyway ;)

First off, I'm pretty sure Taim is Demandred.  Taim was captured after Falme when the Pattern had no further use for False Dragons, and later escaped, which seems to provide the perfect explanation for Demandred killing Taim and apearing at Caemlyn just in time to become the leader of the Black Tower.  How Taim escaped is still unkown, as well. Demandred also tells Moridin that his army is ready, which coincides with Taim telling Rand he will build him an army.  And what better place for a Forsaken to set up shop then as the leader of a bunch of male channelers.

Another other option is Demandred is an Asha'man manipulating Taim (who may be a Darkfriend, or just another Morgase or Elaida).  I doubt this though because of Taim's disguised disdain of Rand.

Second, I think Moiraine will be more powerful then she was.  I don't remember where, but I believe there is mention that the snakes and foxes took some of Lanfear's power, which is why Cyndane is less powerful then Lanfear was, so I'm guessing they gave it to Moiraine, although the Tower of Genji arc will probably deal with the Aelfinn and Elfinn's motives and role in the Pattern.

I think Egwene will present Mat the Horn.  I believe that the only people, now that Verin is dead, that know the Horn is in Tar Valon are Egwene, Siuan, Elayne, Ninaeve and possibly Leane.  Perrin and Faile know Mat blew the Horn, as well as Rand, and can probably guess that the Horn is in the Tower, but where not there for the journey back.  Probably, only Siuan (and I'm willing to bet Verin) knows exactly where it was hidden, in any case.  

Mat will probably open the letter, and has to at some point so the reader's know what it is, in any case.  No good writer would leave that hanging, and both Sanderson or Jordan have proved themselves better then that. Even if Mat doesn't open the letter after 10 days, Verin had something else up her sleeve.  I think she planned to bring the Horn to him, if she'd survived, but this was a back-up plan.  Even if its just her faith in his curiosity.

Demandred will die, and probably Aran'gar.  That should leave Moghedian, Cyndane, and Moridin.  Wouldn't be surprised if Moiraine finishes the job and kills Cyndane, but I don't predict seeing that until A Memory of Light.  

I think we will see Moiraine with Mat reunite with Rand towards the end, and some time will be given to Rand and Moiraine.

Of course, there will be the interaction of Rand the Dragon Reborn and Egwene, the Amyrlin, but I think the purging of the Black Ajah will be the necessary step to ally Rand with the White Tower.  Also, after Demandred/Taim is killed, or at least revealed, there will be a union between the White and Black Towers, I think with Narishma as the new leader of the Asha'man (he will follow after because he pulled Callandor).

I also have a hunch that Flinn and Nynaeve will somehow save Rand from death in the end.  After Rand's revelation on top of Dragonmount after so long being convinced of his own impending death, and with the pillar of hopeful light that Egwene sees, I can't foresee Rand dying, although it is possible.  If he does die there will be some kind of reference in the end of Memory of Light to being born in his next life.  At least, that is how I'd do it....

And Mat will be the reason for peace between the Seanchan and Rand.  Now that Rand has laughed, he is going to have to go back and fix Arad Doman, and come to terms with the Seanchan, ending with his bowing to the throne.

And I wonder if Rand goes blind in this book or the last one.

If it were up to me the next book will tie up all  final loose threadsand at the end of the book Rand will break the remaining seals.

* Tower of Genji

* Seanchan Alliance and fulfillment of a couple of prophesies

* The Black Tower (although this might happen when the last battle is being waged - be a good twist)

* Callindor

* The seals

* White Tower Alliance (or acceptance)

* The forsaken (or most of them)

Sounds like a lot but probably isn't in the scheme of things considering what was achieved in the Gathering Storm

The final book should be about the war. I'd hate to see this war, the biggest since (and probably bigger than) the trolloc wars, over in a couple of hundred pages. That would do the series an injustice. Matt will lead the armies of light under the empress' banner and Perrin will lead the borderlands, Andoran and Dragon banners. The White Tower will fight with Perrin.

Ah nerts, that seemed like such a good theory too.  But what is left then, Shara?  He can't be with the Borderlanders, if for no other reason then it was suggested in the book as speculation.  However, reread the scene where the Borderlander royalty meets and discusses matters.  One may be a darkfriend, but I think they act on their own accord, and for reasons I suspect will be satisfying when they are revealed.

Ugh, thinking about it seems to narrow the options though.  Not the Shaido, obviously.  He could just be building up the Trolloc armies, or I suppose controllin Taim from afar.

Although, again, Taim as Demandred would have been very interesting, not to mention enlightening for Demandred's character to show the control necessary to hide his hatred of the Dragon, which is supposed to be the greatest of the Forsaken.

I think Ishy/Moridin is the greatest of the Forsaken.

I think many in the fandom have grown to like the idea of Taim=Taim in that it would show a 3rd ager going against Rand for his own motives rather then being a disguised Forsaken.

I actually think Demmy IS with the Borderlanders. I mean isn't it rather fishy that 200,000 soldiers have been sent AWAY from the very border they have been sworn to protect since they were born? That this tradition has been held for centuries their honor is based on it, they send HALF of the total Border army away with valuable leaders AND 13 AS who are most likely BA. Now it is entirely possible none of them are DF's minus the AS. In fact Demmy doesn't even have to physically be with the Borderlanders, if the 13 AS are there they can act as his proxy.

I honestly feel that with Grendal kidnapping the Sharan leaders that they are pretty much out of the game. They are on the other side of the waste and would take far too long to get to Randland to do anything. No I think Demandred is much closer at hand and I feel we'll get more answers in the next book.

at first i was really interested to find out where Demandred is or who he is impersonating as but know i have become numb to it. i know hes not Taim. Know (almost as well) that he is not in Shara. And i think he is on the mainland.

I am almost content on just waiting for the Last Battle to see where he is. the borderlanders almost seem too obvious...you can comment or destroy as you will

I can understand the desire to see our ol' pal Moraine come back super strong...but really...how would that fit into the plot line? 

Knowledge at the moment is needed more than power.  I would hope that, instead of coming back some super-strong Aes Sedai, she comes back knowing something (or some things), that will seriously help Rand.  As per Min's viewing, that he will fail with out a woman "dead and gone".  I don't see how siphoning of power (from Lanfear to Moraine, to then create the weaker Cyndane) really fits into the WoT universe...I don't think we've seen anything quite like that.

I don't know how many of my ideas are posted in the previous 60 pages, but I'm excited enough after finishing TGS to post them anyway ;)

First off, I'm pretty sure Taim is Demandred.  Taim was captured after Falme when the Pattern had no further use for False Dragons, and later escaped, which seems to provide the perfect explanation for Demandred killing Taim and apearing at Caemlyn just in time to become the leader of the Black Tower.  How Taim escaped is still unkown, as well. Demandred also tells Moridin that his army is ready, which coincides with Taim telling Rand he will build him an army.  And what better place for a Forsaken to set up shop then as the leader of a bunch of male channelers.

Another other option is Demandred is an Asha'man manipulating Taim (who may be a Darkfriend, or just another Morgase or Elaida).  I doubt this though because of Taim's disguised disdain of Rand.

Taim is definitly not Demandred, R.Jordan said that before, though every thing indicates that Taim is him, but i go with ur 2nd speculation.. that Taim is somehow being controlled by demandred

I don't think Moraine will come back stronger (though I would be pleasantly surprised if she does).  I think she'll come back weaker or even unable to channel -- she's being set up for a life after TG, a life with Thom (kind of like Siuan and her grumpy general).  She gets to retire and enjoy life when all is said and done.

Of course we'll probably see Galad and Berelain unite in the WOT version of an E-Harmony match -- they're just so darned cute and compatible, it has to happen!

Elayne will have her babies, and Rand will find another reason to live.  Or maybe Brandon will throw us a loop by preparing Children of the Dragon Soup for some famished Trollocs, and Anakin Rand will return.  Who knows?

Nyn will shave part of her head like a Seanchan noble...she does have this annoying tendency to adopt fashion habits from lands far and wide.  Will this prevent her from tugging at her darned braid?  You decide.

There will be no hot tub scene for Rand and his bonded women.  Apologies to all you high school members of the Dungeons and Dragons Club (if such things even still exist).  Really, it's not going to happen.  Move along.

I left out any predictions for Egwene and Gawyn.  I keep hoping Brandon just forgets about them.  If I wish hard enough, it just might happen.  Who knows, maybe in their bliss they'll get lost in the World of Dreams.  Are you paying attention, Slayer?

And I wonder if Rand goes blind in this book or the last one.

The blindness was a metaphor to him closing his eyes to his emotions

"At the end of time,

when the many become one,

the last storm shall gather its angry winds

to destroy a land already dying.

And at it's center,

the blind man shall stand upon his own grave.

There he shall see again,

and weep for what has been wrought"

This was speaking of Rand in veins of gold standing on dragonmount, where LTT died, and realizing what he'd become and re-opening his eyes.

He can see again.

Can't wait for ToM.

Also, I'm sure this has probably come up and been beat to death in other area's of the forums seein as I'm new here but...

has anyone considered the "his blood will be spilled" prophesy to be Galad dying?

Galad is Rand's half brother, and as far as I know his only living "blood" even if Galad doesn't know this.

"woman dead and gone"- as stated in an earlier post.

I've allways beleived this to be Moraine as well. But is it stated anywhere- I'd like to hope so, because I've allways taken it for granted. Isn't the text more specific than the quote over? If not it could tie in with all of your other theories of Illiana and so on- because Moraine isn't dead and gone- the characters just think so...

This was just a loose comment though, I would like to believe that my recollection of the text is better than that, and that Min more specifically refers to Moraine.

There will be no hot tub scene for Rand and his bonded women.  Apologies to all you high school members of the Dungeons and Dragons Club (if such things even still exist).  Really, it's not going to happen.  Move along.

Now thats funny...

Especially considering that I started the D&D club in my High School in 1983...  I wonder if it's still there?  ;D

"woman dead and gone"- as stated in an earlier post.

I've allways beleived this to be Moraine as well. But is it stated anywhere- I'd like to hope so, because I've allways taken it for granted. Isn't the text more specific than the quote over? If not it could tie in with all of your other theories of Illiana and so on- because Moraine isn't dead and gone- the characters just think so...

This was just a loose comment though, I would like to believe that my recollection of the text is better than that, and that Min more specifically refers to Moraine.

The "dead and gone" part was just Min's POV.  Min saw something in Rand's aura that dictated that Moraine would help him in something, or he would fail them all.  However, she and everyone else believes Moraine to be dead...so hence the "dead and gone" part. =[  I hope she does get rescued, just so they can all have that WTH point of view lol

1:I wonder if Moiraine is gonna continue in this Gandalf kind of way... It would suggest her coming back stronger. But as somebody already said, it could be info she has that's important, and we do have Rand smashing the CK to spell out the fact that Brute Force is not actually the answer.

2: Berelain is def gonna go for Galad. There's no way she's gonna look at a man in white unless he has major clout. As new Whitecloak boss, he's got that. And if he does indeed pursue the Damodred claim to the Sun Throne, then it'll be, "Perrin who?".

3: Want to see Gawyn meeting Rand. He did promise Eggy that he wouldn't act against Rand until it could be proven that Rand didn't kill Morgase, but he'll surely burst a few blood vessels before that comes out.

4: I think, looking at it now, Egwene's anger at Rand will def be over the BT. She'll give him fits cos it will transpire that Taim did the nasty deed and turned a few AS. Expect that to be an exciting read!

5: If Rand's new sword is indeed Justice, what the hell is Hawkwing supposed to use when Mat plays a wee tune? Or is that gonna be a huge disappointment, they'll find themselves really relying on the Heroes coming back and all they get is Rogosh?

6: Egwene has got to meet Cadsuane. Moiraine, yes, but Eg & Cads are as thick as each other, and both hugely infected with Know it all syndrome. Could be fun.

7: Nynaeve's test prob will fill a couple pages, we haven't had a full AS test since New Spring, have we?

8: Aviendha's trip into the glass columns I think could well be a way to give poor oul' Ilyena some screen time. We've been hearing about her for yonks, time to give her a few lines. I do like the idea that Aviendha, Elayne & Min all manifest portions of her personality. Strange tho, if that's the case, then where's her soul hiding? Can you even split a soul 3 ways?

5: If Rand's new sword is indeed Justice, what the hell is Hawkwing supposed to use when Mat plays a wee tune? Or is that gonna be a huge disappointment, they'll find themselves really relying on the Heroes coming back and all they get is Rogosh?

The sword existed in the real world when Mat blew the Horn before too.. there's just going to be two swords.

Just to get some grey area in there on the Moiraine coming back stronger thing, I'll buy into that a lil' bit and say that she won't be stronger than Cyndane, they will have given Moiraine enough of Lanfear's power to be equal, you know how those Finns are sticklers for a bargain worse than the Sea Folk. 

I think the prophecy: "He will hold a blade of light in his hands and the three will become one." is my favorite prophecy but unfortunately won't come to light until the very end of the last book but I'll shed some light and tell you I think the theory of it being his three women helping him w/ Callandor is wrong! Yes Min will figure it out, but It will not be Elayne and Aviendha to help him wield it.  This will fulfill other kinds of prophecies and fortellings like Rand bowing to the Crystal Throne and I think there is on involving the Amyrlin (EGWENE) where he will bow to her too.  For(Tuon)a and Egwene will be the two Women that help him control Callandor's full power and this act will unite the three super powers against the Shadow.

I hope she does get rescued, just so they can all have that WTH point of view lol

Moiraine will definitely get rescued. In The Shadown Rising when she talks to Thom about going with Elayne and Nynaeve to Tanchico she tells Thom that they will meet again. As far as I know they havent seen each other since then.

I hope she does get rescued, just so they can all have that WTH point of view lol

Moiraine will definitely get rescued. In The Shadown Rising when she talks to Thom about going with Elayne and Nynaeve to Tanchico she tells Thom that they will meet again. As far as I know they havent seen each other since then.

Plus there's Egwene's viewing of Mat with his hat over his face and blood streaming down it & Thom pulling out a BLUE stone from the fire.

Archived