DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Towers of Midnight Speculation Thread (Spoilers for tGS)

JenniferL

One I haven't seen here yet...

Mat is going to have a bee in his bonnet over Tuon becoming Fortuona.  With luck she will kick his arse into next week to teach him a lesson about respecting other people's choices of name.

i am really surprised that you like Tuon over Mat. seeing as she is a prick and he is not. Why would he care if she changed her name, he might a little at first, but he would come around. he is married to her after all.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im surprised...Not many people if any at all said they want to know what Lan is doing?  And if the Borderlanders in Far Madden see Rand and give him an earful and then he trucks them back to the borderlands and they notice that the Golden Crane is indeed Flying and ALL Rally to his banner...and Hello 500K Troops!

I believe Lan will have a huge force. Maybe not all soliders but all very determined to win or die. His part is definately something I'm looking forward to and I'll say it again but there's no way Rand will abandon Lan. Not a chance.

I believe BS has hinted that the next novel will not focus so much on Rand and Egwene but more so on Mat and Perrin's stories. Imagining that I would assume that the chronolgy of the story will be advanced very much. Of course Mat will rescue Moraine. As has been said before I'm just hoping she isn't brought back just at the last few pages. I don't want to have to wait another year to know her full story and her current state of being. It's bad enough that Rand's state is up in the air.

The story leaves off with Rand facing a sort of enlightenment, with literally the clouds parting and him seeing all of existence. This reminds of the buddhas and other stories of becoming enlightened. In place of his dark aura he will likely hold an aura of peace and calm about him unmovable, unshakeable, a true force of the light. I'd love to see him find the answer to defeating the dark one found by accessing all of his past lives. I really don't think it will be Rand as normal now but something far wiser and more powerful with knowledge of the OP which was not held even in the AOL.

I don't think so, considering one of Brandon's answers

Mat advanced a bit more, but was still about a month behind Rand and Egwene (this gets an astrix as a MAFO), but Mat traveled to Caemlyn about 30 days before the end of the book – he emphasized 30 days and asked if I understood the significance of that – I said that I do. (Interpretation: Mat will open Verin’s letter very early in ToM).

I don't think so, considering one of Brandon's answers

Mat advanced a bit more, but was still about a month behind Rand and Egwene (this gets an astrix as a MAFO), but Mat traveled to Caemlyn about 30 days before the end of the book – he emphasized 30 days and asked if I understood the significance of that – I said that I do. (Interpretation: Mat will open Verin’s letter very early in ToM).

Actually...my interpretation of what Brandon said is a little different. The agreement Mat and Verin made was that Mat would wait 10 days and open the letter OR wait 30 days and then go on his merry way.

Putting this together with the 30 days before the end of the book that Brandon mentioned...that leads me to believe that Mat won't open the letter.

Of course, prior to seeing that quote, I absolutely did think that Mat would open the letter, but maybe he opens it early and then waits 30 days for Verin to show up anyway. ;)

He can't spend forever in Camelyn because the way I see it the asskicking and nametaking has to start soon and Mat at least has to be there for most of it.  On a personal note, Moraine must be healed by a man so she can do some damage too.

Why does she need to be healed by a man? Are you assuming that she was stilled.. we have no proof of that.

I guess poster is referring to the warder bond? finnland is just a different place, we don't know that she was stilled. Probably wasn't anyways,

And she wasn't the hottest with the power anyways, especially compared to the wondergirls.

There is a significant ammount of evidence that suggests she was stilled.  We only know of two things that can cut a warder bond, death and stilling.  We know she isn't dead.  Furthermore, she and Lanfear were both channeling when they went through the doorway.  We know messing around with Ter'Angrael can lead to getting burned out.  Finally, since Cyndane (Lanfear, transmigrated) is weaker than she was.  We know of only one thing that can account for a channeler loosing strength, being severed, and healed by a person of the same gender.  All of this points to the likelihood that Moiraine was also severed by her trip through the door.

There is a significant ammount of evidence that suggests she was stilled.  We only know of two things that can cut a warder bond, death and stilling.  We know she isn't dead.  Furthermore, she and Lanfear were both channeling when they went through the doorway.  We know messing around with Ter'Angrael can lead to getting burned out.  Finally, since Cyndane (Lanfear, transmigrated) is weaker than she was.  We know of only one thing that can account for a channeler loosing strength, being severed, and healed by a person of the same gender.  All of this points to the likelihood that Moiraine was also severed by her trip through the door.

Yes.. but then, they went into a ter'angreal, where you can make three wishes. We don't really know what happened in there at all. There's too many seperate factors here. We know the Finns don't want to deal with anything that touches on the Shadow.. so how would they react to one of the Forsaken fumbling through their doorway? Maybe Moridin's mindtrap on her is limiting her power... we just don't know. I give it to you, you do make fair points, but it's very hard to tell with all the mystery surrounding what really happened that day.

good catch Swigaro. i did not pick up on that, but it definitely fits with why Cyndane is weaker than Lanfear and we definitely know Cyndane is her reborn. Have the people in the book figured out it has to be someone of the opposite gender though? and Flinn is the only guy that can do the healing, correct?

We have no way of telling whether or not she was stilled, or it's just an effect of her being in the finnland, seeing as it is a separate plane of existence, connections may not exist across that threshold. I will agree that I see similarities between Cyndane and Siuane's circumstances, but it's possible that her stilling came from a bargain she struck with the finn's in exchange for release.

I would find it very hard to believe that either Moiraine or Lanfear recieved any wishes.  Cyndane says she was "Held" by the 'Finns.  The two of them destroyed one of the only known ways to enter their realm.  Remember that things dealing with the shadow are severly punnished.  Even if Moiraine simply dropped and took cover once she got through the door, the 'Finns would likely know that Moiraine was using them to dispose of one of the Forsaken.  They wouldn't be happy with either one of them.

I guess I misspoke. I didn't imply that Lanfear got released as a wish, rather she struck a bargain to get out of Finnland in exchange for her ability to use the one power, although if I were a finn, I'd probably be omnipotent enough to make sure she couldn't be healed. But we have the problem where she is in a new body, so I assume she probably died, and the DO brought her back.

We'll have to RAFO, seeing as if they get moiraine back, she'll have a story to tell.

Whatever happened in Finnland, I don't think Cyndane is the result of a healed stilling.  IIRC, Moghedian was just as shocked as the AS that Nynaeve could heal stilling/gentling.  I really doubt that any of the Forsaken would have believed it possible.  I can't remember the timeline well enough to know for certain though.

Whatever happened in Finnland, I don't think Cyndane is the result of a healed stilling.  IIRC, Moghedian was just as shocked as the AS that Nynaeve could heal stilling/gentling.  I really doubt that any of the Forsaken would have believed it possible.  I can't remember the timeline well enough to know for certain though.

Moghedian was shocked, true, but she is aware that it has been discovered.  All of the Forsaken are aware.  Furthermore, there are numerous BA sisters who were shown the weave by Nyneave.  The timeline works just fine for Moridin to pick one of them up, cart them to Shayol Guhl and tell them to heal her...

We have no way of telling whether or not she was stilled, or it's just an effect of her being in the finnland, seeing as it is a separate plane of existence, connections may not exist across that threshold.

Well, she went through the ter'angreal in the stone of tear and Lan didn't go wappy. That said, the doorway in the stone of tear wasn't melted while she was "inside"...

Padan Fain is going to attack a super-Fade with a measly dagger? lol, Shadar Haran is too hardcore to be pitted against Fain, especially considering the skill set SH has, and the fact that he is getting stronger, and the likely possibility that he is the DO avatar.

I know at one point Fain had some Fades he had broken and who where now following his orders.  I think this was when he was trying to lure Rand back to the two rivers with Trolloc attacks.  So I don't think that it would be too big a stretch for him to take on SH.  After all he hates both Rand and the DO about the same if he thought killing SH would harm the DO he would do it, or at least try to.

kicking around run-of-the-mill Fades is one thing.

even standing straight before the super-fade is another thing,not jst because of the physical aspects. The True Power is widely accepted as more powerful than One Power(i read that in an interview with BS).the only chance of fain doing SOMETHING to SH is if SH was fast asleep dreaming of the Day of Return ;D, and Fain crept up on him. :-)

Apart from that scenario, I don't see anything holding back SH from burning the hell outta Fain the moment he pokes his head out

Unless this was a misquote, BS seems under the impression of the True Source being able to best the True Power.

1. Question -   Would the True Source beat the True Power?

1. Answer -   Okay. My gut instinct is going to say, yes. My gut instinct says yes, but that is not coming from the notes. If I was actually going to have to write it out I would have to go to Charleston and I would have to look in the notes but from what I’ve read I’d say yes. But that is not canon because I’m not remembering specifically, does that make sense? I’ll tell you if it’s canon or it isn’t, but that one is just my instinct.

This below is on the signing Q&A thread, but it isn't a direct quote.  Possibly it means that a channeler using the TP can get greater spikes in his power than a TS channeler; in the long run, a TS channeler would be stronger.  This doesn't say anything about the actual TP vs. TS though.  The above quote implies the TS is more powerful (but it isn't canon).

•   The True Power is perhaps more powerful then the One Power in the way a drugged up person is more powerful then someone not drugged up. In the moment the drugged up person may be, but in the long run maybe not.

good catch Swigaro. i did not pick up on that, but it definitely fits with why Cyndane is weaker than Lanfear and we definitely know Cyndane is her reborn. Have the people in the book figured out it has to be someone of the opposite gender though? and Flinn is the only guy that can do the healing, correct?

What do you mean it has to be someone of the opposite sex?  Nynaeve Healed Siuan and Leane.

What do you mean it has to be someone of the opposite sex?  Nynaeve Healed Siuan and Leane.

Yes, but not fully. A male has to heal a female, and a female has to heal a male.. we've seen different examples of this, but the characters haven't figured it out yet.

i had thought the characters hadn't figured it out yet. IF Moiraine is stilled i hope they bring her back to her full strength. she is not even aware that people can be healed of stilling unless she has seen this in her future. I really can't wait for the rescue at the ToG.

What will Perrin be doing in the mean time? will he come back to Rand or continue on his own path with the wolves and such?

i had thought the characters hadn't figured it out yet. IF Moiraine is stilled i hope they bring her back to her full strength. she is not even aware that people can be healed of stilling unless she has seen this in her future. I really can't wait for the rescue at the ToG.

What will Perrin be doing in the mean time? will he come back to Rand or continue on his own path with the wolves and such?

I'm going to assume he's going to end up heading to Caemlyn.. he did say he would take Morgase & crew there.. and now that the secret is out, all the more reason.

Archived