DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Towers of Midnight Speculation Thread (Spoilers for tGS)

JenniferL

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Galad, like any man, is capable of making use of the Void/oneness. That is not the same as being able to Channel. His description do not match with Channeling - saidin is quite noticeable, and is conspicuous by its absence. This applies to Gawyn as well, and any other man. We see Lan use it, and Rand learnt it from Tam. Neither can Channel.

Speaking of the void--I always assumed this is the trick that makes people not feel heat or cold.

Demandred

I think he was one of Masema's advisors.  Specifically, the hawk nosed one.  I think he was the one turning Masema mad and caused the prophet's army to spread chaos across the land.   The phophet's dragonsworn could be the army he was referring to.

Masema's army was wiped out at Malden and then the leftovers, including Masema, were slaughtered by Faile.  I would hardly call that a secure rule.

Some thoughts:

Gawyn

Does anyone else think that Gawyn's sudden prowess with the blade may be linked to him learning how to channel?  He may to be going to the void + 1 that Rand and Lanfear have mentioned.

Demandred

I think he was one of Masema's advisors.  Specifically, the hawk nosed one.  I think he was the one turning Masema mad and caused the prophet's army to spread chaos across the land.   The phophet's dragonsworn could be the army he was referring to.

Rand and the TP

Did it specifically say it was the True Power that is linked to the Dark One, or could it be a third power that is linked to the creator?   Why would the Dark One have his own special power and not the Creator.  My initial thought is that he tapped the opposing power of the TP.  The joining of the three could also be the DP, OP, and the creator power.

Rand's Sickness and the One Power

I think the sickness is caused by the re-integration issues and will be gone in the next book.  I think it had to do with both Rand and LTT reaching for the power at the same time.  Earlier in the books Rand said that LTT sometimes tried to reach for the power when he did and at the end LTT did it every time (if I remember correctly).  I am anxious to see if Rand now has all of LTT's memories or if he has the memories of all the rest of the dragons and is no longer Rand. He would be a merging of all the dragons.

---------------

Finally.... the I hope this is not true speculation .....

Since the Dark One has referred to Rand (the Dragon) as his eternal enemy, what if Rand's soul is really the creator where the creator does not know he is the creator.  Ie. the absentee landlord who comes in and cleans up the place every 3000 years. I sure hope that's not it.

I really like the Demandred theory, its nice to hear something new every once and a while. And depending on the timeline of the meeting with Moridin, its possible that Masema's army wasnt wiped out yet.

There is just one issue i want resolved. The True Power is the essence of the Dark One, it is essentially the counter balance to the One Power which is the essence of the Creator (may be mistaken, someone who has quotes proving otherwise, feel free to correct me).

Another thing with the three into one thingy, its possible that the three into one is saidar/saidin/TP but it just doesnt sound right. There has to be something more. Even though Cadsuane and Min didnt agree with the original interpretation of the prophecy, it may be possible that the three into one is in reference to groups of people. Say Seanchann, Randlanders and Channelers? ... Maybe not but still theres alot of possibilities and this prophecy is unlikely to be guessed completely correctly before the book is released.

I don't think Gawyn is a channeller. He was always skilled with the sword and put all his efforts into practicing. All this buildup with his sword skills and hatred of Rand make him a perfect future lackey of Padan Fain. I wouldn't be surprised to see the two hook up together (as with Toram Riatin).

I have no ideas about demandred. We were told his alterego was not yet seen though.

Rand and the TP

Did it specifically say it was the True Power that is linked to the Dark One, or could it be a third power that is linked to the creator?

Lews Therin said it was the DO's power. I would imagine he should know.

Rand's Sickness and the One Power

I think the sickness is caused by the re-integration issues and will be gone in the next book.  I think it had to do with both Rand and LTT reaching for the power at the same time.

Rand and Lews Therin fought on access to the power all through book 6 and there were no sickness. It started in book 8 after two memorable events:

1. Rand's second wound.

2. Moridin crossing balefire with Rand.

Either or both are the likely cause.

Brandon Sanderson said something to suggest that the balefire crossing may not be the reason for Rand getting sick, but it was vague.

I would add another possible cause:

3. Rand's increasing hardness and darkness. This is supported by the fact that the symptoms are worse when he is turning to darkness or evil deeds (as in trying to blow up Ebou Dar).

If the last, then his epiphany will improve the symptoms, but I think that both 1 and 2 would need to be resolved to completely eliminate them.

So he won't be rid of the sickness, but it may not be as severe.

Is anybody worried that ToM is going to be scattered and that it will lack the strength of "direction" that TGS had?

Didn't BS say at a recent signing that ToM is more "disorganized" or something?

It will not be as focused on Rand / Eggy, if that is what you mean.  In fact, it won't be as focused on ANY characters.

It is to resolve a lot of problems... those being:

• ToG - Moiraine gets saved
  • BT - Logain owns Taim
  • Great Stump - Loial convinces the ogier to take up axes
  • Seanchan / Rand - They will come to an accord, probably with Mat being the common ground.  They will agree that he will be the commander of the combined forces... or something like that
  • Rand must also learn tears still, since he only laughed in TGS.  Likely this will occur at the second meeting between Tam and himself.
  • Tam has to meet Rand again... now that he is sane.
  • Perrin makes an alliance with Galad and the whitecloaks.  Morgase gets revealed.
  • They travel to Caemlyn, and start getting ready for TG with Elayne.
  • Gawyn has to come back to Caemlyn to take up his duties with Elayne.  he then FINALLY learns that he has been an idiot this whole time.
  • Avi has to become a WO
  • Borderlanders go back to the blight, likely joining up with Lan and his forces at the Gap
  • we will see Fain again
  • Caddy / Moiraine hopefully have a little meeting, where Moiraine shows up Caddy
  • Min looks cute in tight pants.
  • Something has to do with the Tinkers... maybe with the message written in blood, or the song, or SOEMTHING
  • We also have to see exactly what Verin set into motion
  • And then not to mention all the problems that will go along with the LB

So you see... /a lot/ has to happen still! and likely a lot of that will be covered in the next book... so it won't be as focused on certain characters.  which is OK with me... i want to know how all of these things turn out!

I doubt that there is room in even an 800 page book for all of those things to turn out - but at least we should get to see a few of them get resolved.

Hopefully the Mat and Perrin storylines at least catch up to the Rand/Egwene storylines.

Although, Egwene still has the problem of Mesaana and those Seanchan assassins to deal with, so ???

I doubt that there is room in even an 800 page book for all of those things to turn out - but at least we should get to see a few of them get resolved.

Hopefully the Mat and Perrin storylines at least catch up to the Rand/Egwene storylines.

Although, Egwene still has the problem of Mesaana and those Seanchan assassins to deal with, so ???

I'm sure that at least Mat / Perrin will catch up.  And i'm relatively sure that Mat will go to the ToG and save Moiraine in the next book.  Plus it would only make sense to solve the little BT problem... so Logain will also have his glory in the next book.  The rest remains to be seen...although we already know that Galad has met up with Perrin and Morgase has revealed itself

Hi All,

i read through few pages here, and i was really shocked to read that alot of ppl actually believe that Aviendha will be the one who will find the song!

im pretty much sure that its going to be Perrin.. yes, u read it right..PERRIN

for one of the earliest of Min's viewing at "the eye of the world" she saw trees flowering all around Perrin.. in the early books i think it is mentioned that Perrin never sang before (i will search for that paragraph).. beside the unwolf half of Perrin is really the closest thing to the Tuatha'an ppl..

i will stick with chosing Perrin to find the song, definitly not Aviendha.. though i must admit that my twin is the one who pointed out to me that it might be Perrin is the one to find the song.

i dont like Gawyn, as most, but comon!! he is the most human charachter of them all! at his early live, he lives as he was expected to live, and his dreams was the dreams he was expected to dreams, even his believes is what he supposed to believe in, his priorities and his life were what expected to be !!!

but his world went upside down.. and he found his life dramatically changed from what it was supposed to be! that led him to uncertainity.. he no longer sure what were lay his loyality, or what his priorities to be, or what he is supposed to do! that has been always the job of someone else to tell him what is expected from him then he do it.. severe changes affects him as it would affect anyone of us, no normal human take those changes in one stride and move on so quickly (maybe the rest of the charachters were in situations where they r not allowed the time to think much of the changes, for them there is always things must be done. but for Gawyn he no longer know what must be done..

his conistant anger of Rand and viewing him as a monster, is because he needed something or someone to put on the blame of letting his own world fall.. for it is always easier to blame someone distant on it than facing the failures of himself to be able to control his own fate

i dont like Gawyn, as most, but comon!! he is the most human charachter of them all! at his early live, he lives as he was expected to live, and his dreams was the dreams he was expected to dreams, even his believes is what he supposed to believe in, his priorities and his life were what expected to be !!!

but his world went upside down.. and he found his life dramatically changed from what it was supposed to be! that led him to uncertainity.. he no longer sure what were lay his loyality, or what his priorities to be, or what he is supposed to do! that has been always the job of someone else to tell him what is expected from him then he do it.. severe changes affects him as it would affect anyone of us, no normal human take those changes in one stride and move on so quickly (maybe the rest of the charachters were in situations where they r not allowed the time to think much of the changes, for them there is always things must be done. but for Gawyn he no longer know what must be done..

his conistant anger of Rand and viewing him as a monster, is because he needed something or someone to put on the blame of letting his own world fall.. for it is always easier to blame someone distant on it than facing the failures of himself to be able to control his own fate

Lather, rinse, repeat.  Got it.

God DAMN! that was hard to follow.  i like to think of a little thing called PROOFREADING!  Nonetheless, your points have been noted :P

Lather, rinse, repeat.  Got it.

God DAMN! that was hard to follow.  i like to think of a little thing called PROOFREADING!  Nonetheless, your points have been noted :P

LOL

ok

Sorry

=)

another point, i have no idea if anybody else mentioned it b4 as i didnt go through the whole pages

but it seems to me so obvious that the prophecy Min is so focused upon will be fullfelled by Rand making a circle with Aviendha and Elayne to use Callandor.. those 3 are bonded to each other, Rand is bonded to them both at the same time Aviendha and Elayne are bonded to each other.. imagine those 3 in one circle, where we know that in 1 circle each can feel the feels of the other, just imagine how that will be enhanced by the bond between them.. thus the 3 will become one =D

and i dont think Rand (even after the last journey with himself) can trust any other 2 female channellers to bond with him and maybe direct him while using Callandor.

another theory =) just finished the book and things keep pop in my mind =)

i believe Olver will sneak into the tower of Ghenjei behind their backs, and some way or another he will be the main reason they get out

for it is mentioned over and over the only way to win in the snakes and foxes game is to have no rule

and the only rule we know so far through Moiraine letter that it should be Mat, Thom and just one another man she dont know

another theory =) just finished the book and things keep pop in my mind =)

i believe Olver will sneak into the tower of Ghenjei behind their backs, and some way or another he will be the main reason they get out

for it is mentioned over and over the only way to win in the snakes and foxes game is to have no rule

and the only rule we know so far through Moiraine letter that it should be Mat, Thom and just one another man she dont know

quite possible.  I want the book to come out NAO!  Then we will know for sure and wont have to keep speculating :-)

i think Aviendha will find in Rhuidean the device that she tested its cap and announced to Elayne that the cap direct some sort of device or machine, maybe some other important tar'angreals

for i dont think it is just a happenstance she grow aware of her talent to read ter'angreal just before heading to Rhuidean.. right!!

maybe she will find in the gates she pass through a hint to help her figure out how to use the Saidar to help Saidain lock the pore again

lock the pore again

hehe. clog the pore. aka form a zit :P

sorry couldn't help it.  It's the Bore, btw.

and she will probably find SOMETHING when she is there... with all of her Talents and such... even if it is just information about the past that is required.

but it seems to me so obvious that the prophecy Min is so focused upon will be fullfelled by Rand making a circle with Aviendha and Elayne to use Callandor.. those 3 are bonded to each other, Rand is bonded to them both at the same time Aviendha and Elayne are bonded to each other.. imagine those 3 in one circle, where we know that in 1 circle each can feel the feels of the other, just imagine how that will be enhanced by the bond between them.. thus the 3 will become one =D

and i dont think Rand (even after the last journey with himself) can trust any other 2 female channellers to bond with him and maybe direct him while using Callandor.

Or it could be Mat, Perrin, and Rand--those three have been linked since the beginning of the series.

Or Aviendha, Min, and Elayne--all three of them need to become as one (in purpose), to save Rand

Or saidin/saidar/TP (but technically that's just two things since saidin/saidar are reflections of the One Power).

Or the White Tower, the Rebel Tower, and the Black Tower

It's a mistake to assume that the events in prophecy happen right after or at the same time as each other. The prophecy itself says that the three shall be one occurs after the blade of light is held. Rand has already held Callandor--so the three shall be one can happen at any time. It's also a mistake to assume that it's a literal one. It could be metaphorical as well.

Faile being revealed as a Darkfriend.

And how do you expect THAT to happen?

I can see it now......

Perrin: "I love you so much."

Faile: "I love you so much as well."

Perrin: She smells of jealousy, snarf snarf.

*BOOM, FAILE TURNS INTO DEMANDRED*

DemandraFaile: "HAHA! you have been making sweet love to a man since the beginning!"

*Perrin throws up*

that is hilarious...

the next book will consist of Padain Fain raping a forsaken

i would loove to see that one! it would be awesome. fain.... baby come back.. lol. i hope he does come back i miss him he was amazing. he should also rape gawyn with the SL dagger. and elayne after her babies come out.

Archived