DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Towers of Midnight Speculation Thread (Spoilers for tGS)

JenniferL

It seemed as if Rand was just using his ta'veren to influence Tuon's decision, that was the pressure she felt.

Agreed. Yes, he was being DarkRand at the time, but what she described sounded more like the tiny scrap of a chance she might consider submitting to him being twisted into a real possibility by his Ta'veren'ness.

Being around a Ta'veren is like getting drunk: it doesn't make you do things you would never, ever, even in a million years, do, but it makes it more likely you'd do something you'd --even subconsciously-- considered doing at least once in a million years. I might try to hang from a ceiling fan but I'm not going to eat a coat hangar.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rand's chapters in the glass columns are probably my favourite two in the series, but I can't really see the point of seeing Aviendha go through them. Rand's already covered the key points of the Aiel not knowing their history, the bore being drilled, the Maidens, the non-use of a sword, abandoning the Way of the Leaf and the Tinker split. Plus it was all set against 'The Aiel aren't anything like this, no one told me.'. Avi knows the broad history now.

Although it could be interesting if we just see her last couple of bits, and find her ancestor served Latra Posae and we get a female view point on the breaking and what went wrong with the Sealing.

Correct me if i'm wrong but didn't avi already go through the column's back in book 4.

Correct me if i'm wrong but didn't avi already go through the column's back in book 4.

You're wrong :-P

She went thru an arch Ter'angreal that showed many ways her future might play out.  The pillars show her that her ancestors followed the way of the leaf which Rand went thru in book 4.

Well, the Towers of Midnight, I believe, is referenced by the fact there are currently a whole lot of towers involved.

The White Tower: Obvious, and the retribution of the Black Ajah on the rest of their sisters will be bad I am thinking.

The Black Tower: How many men in the Black have not turned to the Shadow? How many have? What is being done there? Are Taim's men going to try and kill all the non Shadow Sworn channelers? What are they doing to all the Aes Sedai sent there?

The Tower of Genjai: I expect Elayne will send some Kin with Mat for him to Travel there quickly and back. No need for a long ride.

The Tower of Moridin: The big black rock tower near the slopes of Shayol Ghul. I doubt it is the only one. Perhaps Moridin is building fortresses, perhaps they have a more sinister purpose.

Though, forgetting the towers thing for a moment. The thing I am worried about the most is the fate of Lan.

Merelle is at the Black Tower. She was one of those sent to it. She holds his bond. If she is killed or forcibly turned to the Shadow...

Min's viewing of Nynaeve mourning over someone...

I really hope those two aren't going to end in tragedy. Lan deserves to reclaim Malkier with Nyneave at his side...

Indeed. Lan is too awesome to die.

Plus i'm hoping he owns Gawyn in a duel just for fun and teaches that POS some manners :)

I wish for this soo much. Actually, it can be Lan, Rand, Galad, Mat, a Maiden,as long as they beat him soundly and in short order. Making Lan spar with him would be demeaning to Lan's skill.

Don't worry. Gawyn is going to get smacked around be several people.

Egwene and he are going to have a nice long Talk. This will likely end with them bonded.

Then Elayne can get her claws into Gawyn and smack him around.

Also, don't forget, Gawyn has two kicks in the head waiting for him.

1. His mother is alive.

2. His sister is VERY pregnant with the babies of the man he hates.

Both things are going to shatter Gawyn and then temper him into something better. Swords occasionally need reforging, afterall. And Egwene will whip him into shape.

I certainly hope so. it's probably going to happen like this.

Egwene - "You are dumb.  Rand is a good man.  Here let me bond you."

Gawyn - "You are wrong, I will kill him.  OK bond me, i love you."

Gawyne then goes to Elayne to fulfill his duties

Gawyne - "You did WHAT?"

Elayne - "Ya that's right, and if you even think about hurting him, i'll kill you"

Just then Morgase gets back

Gawyn - "GHOST!!"

He then has a near breakdown and decides to follow in Lord Luc's footsteps and battle the blight.

Upon arriving at the Gap

Gawyn to Lan - "You are friends with Rand? I'll kill you! AARRR!"

Lan - "Sit"  Water Rushes Over the Mountain.

Just wait.

Wait until Morgase, Gawyn, Elayne, and Gallad all learn that Rand is Tigraine's son.

THAT will be one heck of a moment.

And the Lord Captain Commander of the Children of the Light will be known as 'Brother of the Dragon.'

Anyone want to speculate on how Gallad will react?

Wait until Morgase, Gawyn, Elayne, and Galad all learn that Rand is Tigraine's son

Technically speaking: Galad and Rand are step-brothers to one another because they have different Fathers. So Elaynes stepbrother Galad, who is stepbrother to Rand has no connection for Elayne and Rand.... Just thought that this was kind of weird in a way if no one else thought the same.

TOM Speculations:

I am hoping to get the Tower of Ghenji out of the way so we have more time for the last battle. And after rescuing Moraine I would like to know her story of how she defeated Lanfear/or who did.

I would enjoy seeing a POV of Cyndane because we have not seen her own personal POV since she was Lanfear(before reincarnation).

Wait until Morgase, Gawyn, Elayne, and Galad all learn that Rand is Tigraine's son

Technically speaking: Galad and Rand are step-brothers to one another because they have different Fathers. So Elaynes stepbrother Galad, who is stepbrother to Rand has no connection for Elayne and Rand.... Just thought that this was kind of weird in a way if no one else thought the same.

TOM Speculations:

I am hoping to get the Tower of Ghenji out of the way so we have more time for the last battle. And after rescuing Moraine I would like to know her story of how she defeated Lanfear/or who did.

I would enjoy seeing a POV of Cyndane because we have not seen her own personal POV since she was Lanfear(before reincarnation).

We have seen Cyndane POV.  We saw it at Shadar Logoth when she was going to stop rand from clainsing the taint.  She finds Alivia and comments on how Alivia is probably as strong as she was before she was trapped by the 'Finns. -- Alivia was also using an angreal at the time

And its true that Rand has no relation to Elayne (or at least within several generations), but that doesnt mean that Rand doesnt have a stronger claim to the throne than all of them... would be still quite an interesting event

We have seen Cyndane POV.  We saw it at Shadar Logoth when she was going to stop rand from clainsing the taint.  She finds Alivia and comments on how Alivia is probably as strong as she was before she was trapped by the 'Finns. -- Alivia was also using an angreal at the time

And its true that Rand has no relation to Elayne (or at least within several generations), but that doesnt mean that Rand doesnt have a stronger claim to the throne than all of them... would be still quite an interesting event

Yeah you are right about the POV, it slipped my mind sorry. But I still think it would be cool to see a little more of Forsaken POVs in ToM (deffinately Demandred because RJ and BS have made him mysterious in a way).

Does Rand have a stronger claim to the Lion Throne then Elayne?? I don't know that's why I am asking. Because if he has the stronger claim to the throne, then that means Galad would have the same strength in claim to the Lion Throne maybe even more due to Rand's father being from over the Spine of the World

Yeah you are right about the POV, it slipped my mind sorry. But I still think it would be cool to see a little more of Forsaken POVs in ToM (deffinately Demandred because RJ and BS have made him mysterious in a way).

Does Rand have a stronger claim to the Lion Throne then Elayne?? I don't know that's why I am asking. Because if he has the stronger claim to the throne, then that means Galad would have the same strength in claim to the Lion Throne maybe even more due to Rand's father being from over the Spine of the World

As to whether or not Rand's claim is stronger is debatable, and Galad's too.  depends how far back you want to go up the tree

However, it's not truly important, because they don't fit the requirement of being female.. so they wont be getting the throne.

However, their children would probably have a claim.  With Elayne having his babies... they (unknowingly to Elayne) have a VERY strong claim to the throne -- as far as claims go at least :)  

HERE is a nice little family tree for everyone :)

Neither of them have a stronger claim to the throne since being male disqualifies them from the position.

If Galadedrin has a claim to any throne, his strongest would be to the Sun Throne.

Depending on how Cairheinin paternity laws are written, Rand might legally be Galad's full brother.  Galad, being the elder, would be the legal inheritor of whatever his father was entitled to.  After the Aiel war, the AS apparently thought Moiraine had the strongest claim.  They pushed her very hard to take the Sun Throne.  That fact played a large part in her determination to get away from the Tower and not return, leading her to leap at the opportunity go go off an find the Dragon Reborn.

Since Andor is strictly a Matriarchy, unless laws got rewritten, Rand would never have any claim on the Lion Throne.  His female children, however, might have the strongest claim of any of their generation.

Neither of them have a stronger claim to the throne since being male disqualifies them from the position.

what he said... but also what i said in the post above his :)

If Galadedrin has a claim to any throne, his strongest would be to the Sun Throne.

Depending on how Cairheinin paternity laws are written, Rand might legally be Galad's full brother.  Galad, being the elder, would be the legal inheritor of whatever his father was entitled to.  After the Aiel war, the AS apparently thought Moiraine had the strongest claim.  They pushed her very hard to take the Sun Throne.  That fact played a large part in her determination to get away from the Tower and not return, leading her to leap at the opportunity go go off an find the Dragon Reborn.

Since Andor is strictly a Matriarchy, unless laws got rewritten, Rand would never have any claim on the Lion Throne.  His female children, however, might have the strongest claim of any of their generation.

what he said too lol

Depending on how Cairheinin paternity laws are written, Rand might legally be Galad's full brother.  Galad, being the elder, would be the legal inheritor of whatever his father was entitled to.  After the Aiel war, the AS apparently thought Moiraine had the strongest claim.  They pushed her very hard to take the Sun Throne.  That fact played a large part in her determination to get away from the Tower and not return, leading her to leap at the opportunity go go off an find the Dragon Reborn.

Since Andor is strictly a Matriarchy, unless laws got rewritten, Rand would never have any claim on the Lion Throne.  His female children, however, might have the strongest claim of any of their generation.

Galad certainly has a very strong claim to the sun throne, though I suspect since he was raised in Andor, he may defer to Elayne, since in the Andoran tradition, only women hold thrones...  Regardless, has it struck anyone, else what a terrible King of Cairhen he would make.  Take the one person who always does what is right, no matter who it hurts and put him in charge of the country most know for Daes'damar.  I find the idea of him dealing with all of the manipulatios and backstabbing that went on there quite humorous.  I suspect, he would not long survive his coronation.

I suspect, he would not long survive his coronation.

lol, indeed. but it doesn't really matter. he wont be getting the throne.  he has the whitecloaks, and Cairheinin is a conquered nation by Rand.  Rand wont be giving him the throne.. so whoever holds the most claim is irrelevant.  Elayne will get it because rand will give it to her.

Archived